Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Maybe I'm just missing something, but would it be particularly foolhardy to instead consider jumping to 0123, landing facing south, and then plunging through the building on the next turn? This leaves Yorinaga completely in the dust and forces the Jenner to either run around the building or try following you through it, which leaves it a turn behind you and therefore much less dangerous. The Hunchie will of course move to 0131 next turn if you move to 0123, but you easily have the movement to get through the building and put two hexes of woods and a hill in between it and you.

Bit risky wandering through the building, I suppose, but it's a very short path to the exit with good cover and your jets grant you a real advantage over the Hunchback in those close quarters. But, again, maybe I'm being dumb about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

DS14 Nice fluff; I considered trying to refit a JagerMech myself, but you are a braver man than I, GenericServices.

It's only bravery if the pilots catch me.

DS28) Lancer by Taerkar
Aw, look at the cute little quad! I love this thing, it's a solid can-opener with the speed to keep away from things that can flay it.

DS24) Gunslinger by Talon775
I have some kind of strange weakness for jumping assaults. Possibly it comes from my love of Stone Rhinos.

CC4) Battlemaster by The Merry Marauder
I would not mind seeing this guy on my side of the battlefield. Solid mix of weaponry across all ranges, with the dissipation and armor to make good use of it. I almost like it as a city fighter: plink away indirectly with the LRMs as you close on stuff your scouts find, then unleash fury when you come 'round the corner.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Scenario B, because one way or another somebody's gonna get it in the neck and that makes for the best television. Just ask Mr. Fisher.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
I'd like to take a moment to remind all the good sons of New Avalon out there that a vote for a Jagermech is a vote for a classic symbol of the Davion economy!

I'd also like the remind the rest of the Sphere that a vote for a Jagermech means watching Davions drive around in that classic symbol of the Davion economy.

You make the call.

A) Protectorate Iron Guard
DS3) Lion by Hob_Gadling
CC4) Battlemaster by The Merry Marauder

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Maybe doesn't lose some fights during Operation Bulldog or Task Force Serpent (it's hard to tell, I don't think he got any face time. If he did, I don't remember it).

I recall his unit pulled out a draw in the Great Refusal, although since the only Spheroid units that actually managed to lose in that shindig were the 1st Free Worlds Guards and Target Invader Galaxy, I don't think that counts for much.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Kai brutalized Vlad in the refusal, using the UAC/20 Stormcrow to murder Vlad's Timber Wolf.

Oh, huh, I'd never actually heard the specifics, just the outcome. Kinda left off reading the novels before I got to the end of the Refusal War stuff, as I got distracted by a certain series that still hasn't ended yet and fell out of BattleTech's fictional loop for a while. Anyway, I choose to believe that the Stormcrow itself won the fight. I mean, go back and look at Xarbala's picture of that thing, it's totally alive. Probably even sentient.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Wow, that Bobcat thing's kind of a nightmare. Tinkering with Solaris, if we assume it has no advanced tech beyond the snubbie, the ER mediums, and some double sinks, it can mount the observed weapons, dissipate twenty heat per turn, and still stack on nine tons of armor, which makes it painfully durable on this field. If it's part of Operation: Even Worse and someone managed to hand it an XLFE, then grant it seven more tons of heat sinks and weapons. I'm leaning toward it only having what it showed and maybe either ferro or endosteel, but either way, that's a beautiful little killing machine.

You could also strip off some armor to add additional hurtiness, but that just seems mean. (So it's probably true.)

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
A retractable blade? This is my second favorite 'Mech ever.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

JumpShips in 3025 are literally priceless.

More to the point, even in other eras when JumpShip manufacturing wasn't badly crippled, an Invader-class, the bog-standard iconic interstellar transport, cost like half a billion C-bills. Effectively, that guy just charged five bucks and a sandwich to steal the Mona Lisa.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pinguliten and GreyjoyBastard may be pardoned if their slots pass to an alternate, but it'll require a pretty good excuse. I'm kinda worried about them, and I hope nothing bad happened. :ohdear:

On a worrisome note, I happened to be browsing the Dominions 3 thread in Games and noticed that Greyjoy apparently started missing turns and stalled out in a number of his games there recently. Apparently he was doing pretty well in at least one, too. Here's hoping it was just some technical disaster wrecking his computer.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Technical disaster wrecking my computer followed by graduation and such giving me things to worry about that weren't online games, basically. The latter's still ongoing.

Should have thrown a headsup at people but it wasn't really at the forefront of my mind.

(Updates here SHOULD be more regular than they have been, they're pretty easy to manage even with Crazy poo poo Going On. I'll try to either do better or explode.)

Good to hear. Good luck with the graduation thing, and also with the 'Mech exploding thing. If you can go out in an eight-hex charge that takes out a 'Mech a weight class above you, you'll have reached Light 'Mech Nirvana. You must be the bullet.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Nice how sometimes the biggest problems just seem to resolve themselves.

Interesting that the game wasn't called, though. The Bobcat has Ace and could simply bounce off the map without reprisal if it wanted, so it looks like it intends to fight at least one more round instead of handing the players a win by retreating. Guess we'll see how much this thing can do with six-to-one odds against. Watch your backs, pilots!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
2) Jade Falcon Guards

When Kai Allard-Liao pulled a cheap trick that somehow made him revered among the Clans, they were there.

When Aidan Pryde used cheat codes to kill half the ComGuard on Tukkayid, they were there.

When Star Commander Joanna used a jump jet to the face to kill Natasha Kerensky, they were there.

Falcon Guards: Because why shouldn't elite forces of the most conservative Clan be knee-deep in dezgra madness?

(Mostly I just wanna see if the Falcon Guard tendency for ignominious disaster holds true. Steer clear of canyons, dudes!)

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Question for PTN before thinking about this further: Are we prohibited from voting for units to land in the same zone?

Anyway, while waiting for that answer, this scenario and campaign looks like it'll be great fun. I'm sad the Falcon Guards don't get to fall into a trap and get butchered strut their stuff, but this was a good compromise. Should be interesting to see how pilots deal with the varying terrain mixes.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can stack them up, but remember that gives the Clans more time to react to you you bandit-cast scum you!

Thanks!

The primary objectives on the planet are listed as B, C, and D, the cities. Landing zone K is adjacent to two of those, so placing the bulk of our forces there gives us the most flexibility. I would recommend that both Ox and Horse-Face land in K) Bottomside Woods. Both of these units contain many jump-capable 'Mechs, and the Hunchbacks in Horse will benefit nicely from the shortened sight-lines in a forest. Once grounded, the units can either combine to smash one city then the next in sequence, or strike both targets simultaneously, as the situation dictates.

Meanwhile, Yan should land in E) Mt. Gila. Yan is the strongest individual company and stands the greatest chance of surviving on its own. As such, it can attempt to cripple the planetary power-grid, hopefully without much loss, before all three companies hit the cities in immediately after they've cleared their landing zones. The spaceport is nice, but forest, mountainous, and urban terrain should shield units from most aerospace attacks (though possibly not all) and, if we take control of C and D, those forces can be ferried in to assist in a follow-up assault on A if needed.

As the most isolated force, I would recommend that players control Yan. Yan looks to have the nastiest landing in store, and it'll be important for players to be able to oversee the situation to ensure nothing untoward happens to our heaviest assets.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
That map is practically ideal Horses country. If it weren't for Yan's unusually well-equipped forces, I'd already be calling this in their favor. Plenty of long, open fire lanes with the ability to keep their Mechs' speed up, plus ditches at various intervals for tank and Elemental ambushes? Yuck. Good thing for that force comp. The exchanges of fire between the two forces should be magnificently brutal. I wouldn't be stunned if two 'Mechs on each side die during the first serious exchange.

Oh, and vintage SLDF Flashman? Nice. That thing can do great stuff. Keep the speed up and pour on the flashy.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Too bad Piet's 'Mech doesn't have a leg to stand on anymore, another volley of SRM fire into that Atlas could've had tragi-comic consequences. (I admit, I was totally rooting for the Jenner to cockpit-TAC an assault.)

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

GeorgeLedoux posted:

You are all very welcome. PTN's the real creator behind this and did the heavy lifting so I'd do it cheap.

Well, except for finding the pronunciation for the Huitzilopochtli Assault Tank... that was a bitch to say correctly.

That was a treat to hear, and you're clearly a class act for doing it.

Also, I just found out you were Minute Man in Freedom Force, which is fantastic, because watching that dude yell about FREEDOM while throwing cars at supervillains was always a joy.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

wargames posted:

Sounds like the 40k people didn't know how to run story tournaments, with L5R its just a big series of tournaments across the world and which ever faction has the most victories out of those tournaments get some story writen for them.

I think it's more a matter that L5R is allowed to actually advance its story without ruining its setting. 40K's atmosphere of constant apocalypse makes it hard for the Necrons or Orks to win a really big victory, since the Imperium is already teetering on the brink of annihilation and anything too large would push it over the edge of survival (or credibility, if they pretended it could go on like nothing happened). Rokugan's internal factions don't have that level of, shall we say, inherent frailty to them. On any given day, the Lion or whatever are actually sitting fairly pretty: lots of land, strong armies, solid political alliances. You can hammer them pretty hard and still leave them as a viable faction for players to enjoy. Heck, L5R being samurai fiction, a struggle against insurmountable odds for vengeance by a disgraced band of warriors is totally thematic!

Basically, you can disband the Akodo and the Lion will persevere, but if Chaos punches through the Cadian Gate, it is literally over.

Battletech probably could make the story-tourney schtick work if Catalyst was interested in trying. Any given Successor State trades worlds on a regular basis without being particularly crippled, since their industrial cores lie in insulated inner zones (usually, anyway). Just say that the results of the War of 3093 will be decided by sponsored games held at hobby stores over the next two months and players might be pretty happy with the outcome.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Partially this, but the Cadian Gate was retconned from being a literal giant gate on the surface of the planet Cadia which kept untold horrors of archeotech trapped inside it to being a more hypothetical "magic space lane" through which Chaos had to come because... I dunno? That campaign killed off a few characters and Chaos did actually win. The joke floating around for a while was that time froze with Abbadon's foot over the doorstep because the Chaos gods didn't know how to react to winning for once.

But that's the exact problem, time just froze there and they've kinda wandered off and not addressed any of it, at least to my knowledge. Is the Eye of Terror expanding now? Is the Imperium having to divert resources to contain the mess, thereby weakening other sectors? Who knows? It'd be like if Operation Guerrero went off and then nobody ever bothered mentioning the FedCom split like a ripe melon. It feels hollow to tell players they "won" and then tack on nonsense like "but the Imperium still controls the space around Cadia so it's not yet certain!"

I give Battletech credit for at least trying to push their storyline forward, even if they sometimes... misstep. I'm somewhat on the side of wanting a fiction reboot, but I can't imagine the level of screaming the fanbase would emit. It's always seemed like one of the more conservative, and that says something in wargaming circles.

Oh, well, enough rambling about pseudo-related shenanigans. Back to hoping the Mars and Athena properly pull their weight. Last round was pretty decent, but I want dead 'Mechs!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Is it wrong that I would be greatly amused if the Mars split fire 6 ways and scored 6 kills against all these open mechs? Because I would be.

If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right. But then, I much prefer Clan Practical Pony to the Capellans.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Terran Hegemony monitored all outward expansion and directed humanity towards worlds that would be reliant on the Terran Hegemony's Water Fleets to survive. General assumption is, the further you get from Terra the worse the worlds are. It's utter bullshit but it's 'common knowledge.'

Possibly that's changing, given the formation and survival of the Fronc Reaches. No idea if anyone's going to continue that trend in the post-Dark Age stories, but it was nice to see someone think to actually send out a colony ship or six.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually Comstar did it all the drat time, and we know it works because Clans.

It's just retarded that people haven't kept on doing it, in retrospect. Best step away from the fridge and abandon logic here I think.

The Fronc Reaches are just the most visible example, given they're actually on the maps as a real country and everything! I hope they get to amount to something, and I expect them to be burned at the altar of "throwing the Capellans a bone" at some point. You're right, though, that thinking about it too hard just begs for tears and acrimony.

Oh, Battletech, every discussion about you always ends that way. Never change!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Plek posted:

Let's not jump all over the person who decided dumping ammo was a good idea; someone else had just successfully done so and I can see someone thinking it's a good idea. Personally I wouldn't have risked it because the gun still works, so no reason to lose the ammo.

e: Also I bet cockpits are standardized. They all have the same structure, hit locations and everything and would make sense considering how many 'mechs lose the drat things while being relatively pristine elsewhere.

Well, it wasn't just the cockpit being damaged. The Flashman's entire head got chopped off by an ER PPC. They might be able to FrankMech something together on the DropShip, but it's not like a single LB-X pellet came through the windshield and nailed the pilot. The entire physical structure surrounding the cockpit is now twisted metal ruins and needs to be replaced, and if they don't have either a replacement head or the expertise and tools to fabricate something from materials on hand, that 'Mech is out of it. They might be able to scrape up bits of Clan 'Mechs, but StratOps lists some fun penalties for trying to do repairs or modifications with incompatible tech-bases. Improper voltages, differing sockets and connectors, unknown computer protocols, all that jazz. It's not impossible, just harder.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Plek posted:

[b][/b
Look on the bright side! With the surrounding bits of 'mech trashed by the ERPPC, the techs will have fewer incompatible parts to worry about. :D

It's like they always say, there's a silver lining to every magnesium fire.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll shave my head if at least one player `Mech doesn't bite it due to crits alone. That Mars.

*waves a little flag* Yay, tanks! Show those big mean 'Mechs what for!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

T1 Mars Assault Vehicle
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Y2 Battlemaster (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (0/40 armor, 24/27 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Y2 Battlemaster (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Leg (0/26 armor, 14/18 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Fires LB-10X AC (cluster) at Y2 Battlemaster (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 cluster ammo = 5): rolled 9, 8 clusters hit Left Leg (13/18 armor remains (Critical chance!)), Center Torso (23/27 armor remains (Critical chance!)), Right Arm (9/14 structure remains (Critical chance!)), Left Leg (12/18 armor remains (Critical chance!)), Right Torso (3/28 armor remains), Left Arm (7/24 armor remains), Left Leg (11/18 armor remains (Critical chance!)), Left Leg (10/18 armor remains (Critical chance!))!
- Fires LRM-15 w/ Artemis IV at Y7 Charger (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 12, 15 missiles hit Right Torso (2/26 armor remains), Left Leg (damage blocked by cover), Left Torso (11/17 structure remains (Critical chance!))!
- Fires LRM-15 w/ Artemis IV at Y7 Charger (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 9, 12 missiles hit Left Torso (6/17 armor remains (Critical chance!)), Right Torso (0/26 armor, 14/17 structure remains (Critical chance!)), Left Arm (1/13 structure remains (Critical chance!))!
- Fires LRM-15 w/ Artemis IV at Y7 Charger (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 9, 15 missiles hit Left Torso (1/17 structure remains (Critical chance!)), Center Torso (24/39 armor remains), Left Leg (damage blocked by cover)!

End Phase:
Y2 Battlemaster
- Critical chance in Right Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Heat Sink destroyed!
- - Medium Laser damaged!
- Critical Chance in Center Torso! 3 critical hits sustained!
- - Engine hit!
- - Gyro hit!
- - Engine hit!
- Critical Chance in Left Leg! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical Chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Engine destroyed!
- - Gyro destroyed!
- Critical Chance in Right Arm! Limb blown off!
- Critical Chance in Left Leg! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Foot actuator destroyed!
- - Hip actuator destroyed!

Y7 Charger
- Critical Chance in Left Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Autocannon/20 ammo hit!
- - - Y7 Charger suffers 60 damage to Left Torso (0/17 structure remains)!
- - - - 59 damage transfers to Center Torso (0/39 armor, 0/25 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Critical Chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical Chance in Right Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- Critical Chance in Left Arm! 1 critical hit sustained!
- Critical Chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Spectacular. That is how a Clan assault tank goes down: ripping half-again its mass in assault 'Mechs down to Tartarus with it. Mars for OpForce MVP, just in case that's needed.

Anyway, fast clean-up, guys! Eight turns to take out that binary is swift and solid work, and hopefully your Difficult Victory Reward is as awesome as you deserve. Going to have to credit the Atlas as Goon MVP for dealing out harm worthy of its stature. Took a risk splitting fire on that last turn (not a big one, admittedly), but it paid off and now your guys can take a breather and bask in delightful salvage, as well as the accolades of your peers! (Note: accolades will be censored by Maskirovka. All glory to the Celestial Wisdom.)

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
New Orders:

Company Yan
E) Mt. Gila [Target of Opportunity]

Company Ma Mian (Horse-Face)
Move west into Kas-Ki-Yeh to serve as reserve for the attacks on those cities.

Company Niu Tou (Ox-Head)
C) Sonora [Primary Objective]

Campaign Options:

A) Critical Repairs available (choose 3):
1) Atlas’s Gyro
2) Phoenix Hawk’s Engine
9) Repair the Flashman by using the Battlemaster’s cockpit (+2 piloting penalty)

B) Warrior Reassignment:
4) Fight on with what we have now

C) Salvage Options:
5) Store the Banshee IIC to return it to the Capellan Confederation unscathed

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

J1 Unknown Assault
Weight: 100 tons (Assault)
Overheat Penalty: None
Movement: 3/5/3
Mechwarrior: Pilot 2, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Star Captain Tithon Yeh
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
???
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: no hands

Based on the note about a new weapons system, I would suspect this is a variant Stone Rhino. I bet it's the Horses model with the, er, variably employable system instead of the Gauss rifles and more heat sinks. There is a Goliath Scorpion variant that has heavy lasers, but that would be a little silly to deploy in a lava field (admittedly hilarious to see the players' face when they connect, though).

Could also be a custom, but that throws the field wide open. HAG40s for everybody!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Picard Day posted:

Remember that the Star Captain already thinks Miranda is a poo poo pilot. It wouldn't hurt to feed into that belief - generally awkward moves, bad gunnery and possibly faking a pratfall (actually just going prone to pop up and unload possibly.)

Also, I'm beginning to have serious doubts that the unknown mech is a Stone Rhino. The Stone Rhino, also referred to as the "Behemoth", was also known as "Amaris's Folly" (due to its impossible engineering meaning they couldn't get it to work; it would take the Clans awhile to even make it functional) - it was designed by the RWR during the later end of the Amaris Coup to help fight off the SLDF.

Now, as we know the SLDF failed to take Terra in this timeline, I'm uncertain whether they actually would have had any working models to take with them during the exodus. Even the canon setting refers to it being an extremely rare mech in the first place.

Disregarding customs, because those could be anything, known Clan hundred-tonners with 3/5/x movement profiles consist of the following:

Bane
Dire Wolf
Imp (Nicky Kerensky himself asked for this grown-up Urbie)
Jupiter
Stone Rhino

The Bane and Dire Wolf are not unknown, and the Jupiter has hands. That makes it unlikely to be a modification of one of those three. The Imp doesn't come with jump jets standard and isn't an Omni, so I can't get behind that one, either. Stone Rhinos match the profile strongly and both the 2 and 3 variants have thus-far unseen weapon systems. If you can think of a 'Mech I missed, I'm all ears.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Miranda thought it was a Stone Rhino.

Well, so did I, so I can't blame her. Also, are we supposed to be seeing that note about heat on J5's entry? It isn't like that on the other 'Mechs.

Speaking of that particular robot, J5 is hanging back in an intriguing way. Everybody else is pushing up pretty expeditiously, but it decided to take a leisurely walk two hexes sideways instead. Something to watch as the situation develops.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
I thought it was odd that J5 was just hanging back like that. Glad my instincts were correct that it had sinister purpose. Now, will the Exterminator keep dropping its designator onto the Atlas? Or will it shift to try to drag a big ol' missile right through that gaping hole in the Flashman's chest? So many possibilities!

Also, while the Salamanders may not be much threat to the 'Mechs (and I emphasize may not be), they can still try to force the trucks away from the detonation points if they catch on to the plan. The trucks can drive fast enough to evade, but if they're sitting still waiting for orders to detonate, the BA can catch up. Not an immediate issue, but something to be watching if you decide to have trucks sit still for a while.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Katreus posted:

Couldn't you just grab the other person and pull her onto your lap before ejecting? (And presumably hold on unless you want that person to go flying free)

Ejection seats fling you away at pretty incredible accelerations, on the order of 12-15 G's. Pilots often suffer vertebral damage just through the compression of their bodies for a few seconds. It'd be impossible to hold onto a person through that sort of force, not to mention when the parachute fires. I'd even doubt the ability of a held person to make it out of the cockpit without shattering body parts against the frame as they leave. That's a risk in regular ejections as it is.

No, Miranda's goose is cooked if the Banshee blows up.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

And cleaned up:

Well, it's larger, but it's also much more immediately legible and the color-coding of damage states helps isolate what's happening to a given 'Mech. If this simplifies your records and people like the way it looks, then a series of thumbnails that people can expand as they desire might work very well. The thumbnails of that image in the quotes look plenty compact to me, you'd just need to put the name of the 'Mech before each image. I think you've got a good thing there.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That's two missions now that LBXes unapologetically wrecked peoples' poo poo. You guys were right.

If you think this is bad, you should see what they can do to flying vehicles. Take all this murder, then add massive accuracy boosts to it, and that's what a fighter pilot has to deal with when he meets some jerk with the LB-10X. Now remember that taking damage while flying close enough to the ground to be useful means you basically make a piloting check versus a chance of instant death.

Yeah, they invented a rule to make air support bad. Battletech, everybody!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

I can't see anything wrong with this depiction.

Picard Day posted:

Really using ASF for low flying mission support instead of high altitude bombers just seems somewhat dumb to me - that is a role conventional fighters are much better at doing anyways. Really, the value in ASF's are blowing up dropships filled with mechs and tanks before they ever enter an atmosphere - much better bang for the buck.

That's true on the defensive, but when you're attacking some planet, it's nice to have the escorting fighters dropping things on the locals' troops... except they'll probably all get shot down by some clown with an over-large shotgun, and then you get to explain to the CO why all your fighters are now five hundred yards long and half an inch thick.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

We are supposed to respect his devilry. PTN MADE ME SUICIDE OFF THE CLIFF :black101: just hit and all is forgiven.

Look on the bright side: whatever happens here, the landscape is going to be scattered with bits of giant robot, and isn't that what we all came for?

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

:colbert: I came here to win.

You're probably still gonna win. You just might contract one or two extra cases of exploded-itis* in the process. Fortunes of war and all that. (Also LB-10Xs, which drown fortune in a bathtub called "law of large numbers.")

Surgeon General's Warning: Exposure to Clanners may increase risk of exploded-itis. Keep Clanners out of reach of small children.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

End Phase
Y8 Po 1
- Critical chance in Center Torso!
- Critical chance in Center Torso!

Were these critical chances failures, or did the results not get posted?

Also, that Flashman is cursed. I almost wanna repair it to see if it blows up again, but given the shape it would likely be in even after repairs, I'm pretty sure we all know it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It took three engine hits, did that not make it into the update?

Far as I can see, no. Po 1 still reads as having no critical damage in its status block, and I quoted the End Phase, so it wasn't there, either.

• Locked thread