Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Cythereal posted:

Or the Combine and some mercenaries we could mention.

Wouldn't both of those go under insane anyway though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So uh, silly question. How durable are the buildings those hostages are in? What's to stop the Death Commandos from just unloading on them in their mechs and SRM carriers in spite? They are literally sitting right next to those buildings.

Edit: Hey, new page! Fantastic. Another silly question. Since the Goblin is effectively immobilized, wouldn't it be better to ignore it this turn and focus fire on the other tank etc?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Drat. I was hoping those buildings were made of "unobtanium" or something and couldn't burn.

While it might take forever, sign me up to be a pilot as well.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The infantry who fired on Firewalker with their SRMs killed him. One of the missiles hit the head and did 2 damage, just enough to kill him.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Why not have your sapper take care of the infantry? There should be 5 left which is enough for you to auto kill them. That allows the TP and S3 to not worry about getting flamed.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I forgot to mention this but kudos to those Zhukov gunners. They hit 9/10 times with those AC 10s. The Zhukov might not have put any mech out of the fight, but it certainly made its presence known. MvP? Probably not, but certainly a contributing member to the Death Commando attack.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

radintorov posted:

Honestly, I can't wait until the goons that don't know the boardgame have to face the clan I'mnotspoiling'em in battle.
It will be glorious, and I doubt all the luck in the universe will help them against those murdermachines.
I'll be :munch: and laughing my rear end off when they show up. :D

I have been re-reading the books to see if I could figure out what you guys were talking about because this has been bugging the hell out of me. About 90% sure what you guys are talking about, but I've never played the board game so not completely sure.

Ah hahahaha, so excited!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oof, pretty even turn all around. The Death Commandos lost a minelayer and what was left of their flamer infantry, and the CC have some heavily damaged or exposed mechs out there now.

I'm wondering how well placed that SRM carrier is in the minefield. He might be almost surrounded by them.

Edit: Oh right, the Blackjack lost two weapons on an arm with an already messed up shoulder joint. Awesome.

Editx2: Ok, new guy again so bear with me. How did the Blackjack's Left Arm survive a large laser when it only had 5/8 structure left?

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 6, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I think that is a clerical error and the pilot check should be on the Hunchback pilot, not on the Rifleman.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Didn't most of the Clanners call it the Cauldron Born save for the Jaguars?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm really enjoying how into character everyone seems to be getting. Screw tactics here at the end, lets rush them guns blazing.. Skinwalker's last attack was certainly something Begay would do.

Is anyone else surprised that the Blackjack is the last mech/vehicle still moving?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Volmarias posted:

On the plus side (for the Capellans), fighting against the Capellans will now have the reputation of causing your family to be brutally murdered, so that can't hurt.

Also, expecting this to be a diversion wherein the mech bay was attacked now that no guards are present.

At the start of the scenario one of the mechanics said that they left behind a decent guard to keep the mech bay secure. Whether that stops the Death Commandos is one thing or another, but there was a guard in place.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I like the people rooting for both sides, it makes the battle even more intensive.

Also, shoot the drat infantry in the open! If there isn't infantry in that last building (unlikely) then they can't easily kill all the hostages.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
It looks like it will come down to a lucky hit. That BJ can jump around, fire his two undamaged medium lasers and keep his heat in check the whole time.

Whether the players go for killing the BJ first or trying to kill all the infantry remains to be seen. But I'd be shocked if all the hostages died at this point. It is only a matter of how many live through this next round.

Edit: With the cryptic musings of Poptarts I should amend that statement. I would be shocked if via the players not killing the enemy in time all the hostages would die.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 20, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
MvP for the DC:

The Zhukov. He did a ton of torso damage to the Wolverine and the Hunchback and set up their internal damage/death.

MvP for the CC:

Skinwalker. He took an enormous amount of damage and kept coming back again and again. At the end he managed to take out the Vindicator and duo the BJ down. I have not checked but I'm pretty sure he savaged a few tanks/infantry as well.

Honorable mention to the Infernos Rounds and the Justice Foot.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
SB - Howling Dogs

That Black Knight looked pretty spiffy, but a Banshee is a Banshee.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

landcollector posted:

You mean it's...them? The...Redacted? Oh Shi-
Warning: may be a little loud (yes I am aware the meme in question is old)

Yea I thought it was Special Things Operation Bulldog got clobbered by for the longest time. Somehow, the REDACTED are even more terrifying.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

KnoxZone posted:

You don't see many Nova's with 6 walking speed.

(Thought Process)

"Ok, if it isn't the Nova and it is the other one, then let's get a look at the design of the Hunchback..."

*30 seconds later*

"Welp, someone is losing a head."

Four sets of 20 damage paired with painted on armor. New meaning to the phrase 'Glass Cannon'. Here's hoping if it is a Hunchback it performs just as well as that SRM Carrier.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
If the Cyclopes pilot believes he has the situation well in hand with the Not-Nova, perhaps the Tank could turn around and put a 20 pounder into the Cobra's hip joint. The tank has already fired into a duel, not like it would upset things any more.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I remember reading there was some rule for knocking a mech off the board is an auto-kill. Is there any way to do that to the Bloodnamed guy?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

raverrn posted:

If the Wolfie wants to pull back, I wouldn't mind in the least contributing a few AC-20s to that clanner's back.

I'd suggest helping out against the Bloodname Clanner. If you guys can take him down, you could throw Zell out the window and roll up the flank of the other two for at least a partial victory.

Eventually those clanners are going to say screw it and nuke your tank. Yes you can take a few hits, but one lucky hit to the turret and you go poof.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So when does the seize the initiative special kick in, next turn? That might be the end of it right there for 2/3 (3/4 if the Wolfhound is really drat lucky) of the remaining force. Good luck guys, you'll need it.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Welp, kudos to the Wolfhound pilot, he did 40~ points of damage to that thing while standing on one leg. I was certainly expecting him to be nuked into oblivion that first turn he stood up.

Go for the chest punch on the Lucerne! Break open that CT and let the fire in.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
My memory of the Battletech books is a little hazy, wasn't there a book where the Ghost Bears fought the Wolves? I vaguely remember that being the first (only?) mention of how the Ghost Bears got their name.

I swear the name of the GB unit was something amusing like the Prowling or Stalking Bears.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Thank you! I was vaguely reminded about that book from the discussion of the Firemoth and Viper. I remember at the end of the book there was a big fight in a field that was on fire, a fight that included a Naga.

That brings me back to the thread, how quickly would ammunition cook off when a mech is standing in a fire?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
They can in this reality. However, I think the Vipers might be given a chance to out do them.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm thinking the Cyclopes just had its eye mugged.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
That enemy initiative thing is a killer. The Colonel is lucky to still be standing.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm hoping he falls on his head again, those consciousness checks have got to be getting harder for him. Depending on how badly he lands on his head, it might just kill him, which would be hilarious.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

KnoxZone posted:

Poor Sam.

Are you kidding? The champ always has to go down right before the end, just to build dramatic tension. Rocky, The Quest, Rocky II etc, all say she's got this. Go Sam. Go. Do it for Caesar, do it for the 2nd. Do it to break that smug snake's nose.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Defiance Industries posted:

Victor and his superfriends, by the by, only drink wine coolers and fruit-flavored vodka.

Smirnoff? Victor drinks Smirnoff?

I... oh god I need a drink just to get that out of my head.

edit: Gah! It is already effecting my typing skills.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Voting A so we can say the Com Guards were used, notice how crazy they are, and then Murder them as the Clans.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
If you've already been spotted then you might as well run to keep up with your jumping buddies. Hopefully the roll won't need a check higher than a 6, so you should have decent odds of pulling it off.

Maybe this is an effect of the thread but after the Clan PPC headshot and poor Engine Joe, the first thing I checked on all the PC mechs was if a PPC could one shot them in the head. Yes it can, but only for two of them. Fortunately, so far there is no armor on the field with a PPC (yet).

Edit: Good god why does the Assassin have 50 rounds of SRM2 ammo.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 23, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Should we know who Rain actually is, or is she much like Annie Sue, in being a character named in one book before dying?

Going to feel real stupid when she ends up being someone important.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The -1E Locust has the potential to deal 16 damage a turn with those lasers, and possibly another 4 with a kick. A light mech with the capability to deal as much damage as it weighs in tons is scary.

Granted, without a floodlight to help it see, it has a +3 to hit, but the threat is still there.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Dominus Caedis posted:

Yeah tank turrets are basically a torso twist in any direction, so jumping to 1406 will get you lit up.

I think that at this point we need to come up with a coherent plan beyond 'blow poo poo up!' I recommend focusing the Stinger side down, at least for this turn. How tall are the Heavy Woods? If I jump to 1016 will they interfere with me shooting at S1? I've never played with hex sheets before so pardon my ignorance.

The tanks don't have the floodlights penalty negate, so jumping to 1406 would mean they have an 11 to hit him and he'd have an 8 to hit them. Not really worth the jump though if you could ensure the death of at least one mech this turn.

Edit: Oh whoops, the tank moved, so higher to hit against it/against him.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 29, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Just stay still and fire on that damaged mech. You have a decent shot of burning into his center torso and wrecking him, might as try and bring him down. Also, you can't be hit by anyone else this turn, so you're safe(ish)

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Eridani Light Horse... Eridani Light Horse...

Oh! The guys in the other universe the Clans use as whipping posts when they first showed up. I'm sure in this universe they'll be even less effective.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Good god that thing is a monster. It's also 1/3 of the total tonnage of the enemy mechs so losing a PC in the process of killing that beast would be more than a fair trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I thought there were going to be four enemy mechs, not three. Never mind then! Have fun with that grouping.

• Locked thread