Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Ummmm....WTF? I've been thrown for a loop with just the explaination post swapping Widowmaker and Wolf clans. Are you doing this to basicly de-canonize the books? If so, I applaud you.:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Does anyone else wonder what the hell they're using for "tons" in the 4th millenium? Mechs are just too goddamn big to only weigh 30-100 tons. An M1 Abrams weighs 60 tons... I'm fairly sure a heavy mech is several times larger than that.

Unless mechs are made of snowflakes and angel feathers, they better have a different definition of "ton" in futureland.

edit: J. Edgar Hoovertank? Really?

:ughh:

I belive in the books they used the word "tonnes," which I belive, possibly mistakenly, are larger than 2000 lbs.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

farraday posted:

If it's metric that's about 2200 lbs. Still I believe Arglebargle would suggest that's a slight difference and he would expect weights an order of magnitude larger.

Alright, but who says the "X number of tons" was measured on Earth, or in Earth-standard gravity? Besides, it's not like any sci-fi series that has hyper-jump technology is really constrained by the laws of physics.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Dux Supremus posted:

If you think that's amazing, you should read about the greatest weapon ever. It's the only thing I've ever heard of that was cancelled for being "too provocative."

I agree with you and I think we're all on the same page here, though. It's all in because it's cool.

What you forget to mention is that testing a weapon whose goal is to deliver a nuke while irradiating the enemies' teritory with it's propulsion system is pretty drat hard to justify.
"How do we know if it works?"
"If all of California gets cancer and dies, we'll call it a sucsess."

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Artificer posted:

But what about autocannons or gauss rifles?

Autocannons in the Battletech universe are giant machine guns for giant robots. Can't have giant future space robots without giant future space machine guns.
And a Gauss rifle is the single most powerful gun possible without explosives.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Eh, it really fails at conveying the universe compared to it's contemporaries. Read wolves on the border or the GDL novels instead.

The Warrior trilogy is fun if you are a Davion fan because it's three books of sloppy blowjob for your faction. Boring as gently caress if you like anyone else. It's like if I wrote a trilogy called "Caesar Steiner fights and screws his way across the Inner Sphere and never loses."

Really, what more do you need? I guess it just appeals to the kind of fan who likes "RAR GIANT ROBOT GUNFIGHT WITH LIMB BLUDGENS RRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"
Like me for instance.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think you might be overestimating how uncommon the knowledge of those are - my greeness should be apparent, but I know what you are talking about.

While THOSE may be somewhat well known, I doubt most of us are prepared for their pure kick-assitude compared to the average IS opponent. As I'm obviously not qualified, how about a pilot's seat? Put me in something like a tank though, I'm not 'Mech qualified. My E-mail is elite2012@ymail.com. Also, am I right in assuming the fourth succession war went a bit differently in this timeline?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm not sure if a "Fourth Succession War" per se has even broken out.

Yet.

Well, in The Sword and the Dagger, the Hanse clone was planning on making an announcement when his rear end was found out, and it pertained to relations between the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth, namely his planned nullification of all standing treaties between the two. I'm guessing by PTN's discription of Hanse's actions the clone is still in power in this timeline.

Oh poo poo...With no Steiner-Davion bloodline, there's no Victor Steiner-Davion...No Operation Serpent...NO HOPE!!!
The Clans are going to gently caress poo poo up...

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

And... and... um... Janos Marik?

:eng99:

Free worlds... pride... :effort:

Who cares, the canon Clan invasion corridor is opposite the FWL, which is why they were undamaged by the war.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

There's always the AC2! :pseudo:

Yes. Yes there is. There are also sticks. And rocks. And many other weapons in the same catagory.

Axe-man posted:

it will fit on your LAM :byodood:

God drat it, 30 whole pages, now out comes the copyright infringment.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 27, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Why are you mocking the 'Mech Poptarts is going to put us all in when we first meet the Clans?

Ohhhhhhhhh so thats what we're doing.
<_<
>_>
Those stupid Mad cats are such poo poo.......

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

I loving LOVE Banes/Krakens. Both the original model and the Bane 2, though if I had to take my preference the Bane 2 wins out. 4 Ultra Autocannon-10s with 14 TONS of ammunition? HELL YES.

That...seems a bit much, unless you were planning on Rambo-ing an entire cluster of Omnimechs without resupply. Also, I hope to god that thing has CASE, because I could see a mech with that much ammo turning into a pinata with an M-80 inside.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

So one element of the fluff I'm genuinely curious about : how did the Inner Sphere go from a hand-me-down technology base where mechs were rare and valuable circa 3010 to a renaissance of technological development and vastly expanded manufacturing capacity circa 3060?

Long story short, the Grey Death Legion is given a planet with a Star League-era fortress carved into the bedrock noone can get into, get's attacked, run into fortress, copy the memory core stored there, run like hell, fortress blows up, for revenge against the people who attacked them to gain the fortress' secrets they distribute copies of the memory core to anyone they meet in order to make it common knowledge, Successor states get copies, and so on.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Helm_Memory_Core

e:fb

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

There's actually a lot but they are, as a rule, bad people.

No, there was...........um......Omi Kurita?

Also, STOP GIVING PTN IDEAS!!!!! This is how people in Dnd get butr-raped by a horde of Beholders! Once you say it, the dm(or gm) doesn't need to make up original ideas!

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 27, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Renaissance Spam posted:

I hope that while we might circle out, each person who played gets to keep the mech pilot they played as so that when they come back they get a sense of continuity. (Of course this does lead to some unpleasant consequences if somebody dies...we'll see.)

Oh, I didn't mention when I signed up, I have PMs, so no need to worry about email on my account.

It would be awesome, but has the potential to end up giving characters in 'Mechs an advantage compared to those in vehicles. Also, what if one person gets an Atlas and doesn't share, or has to be out of town?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Let me Present the least Feasible of All Mechs ever thought up!

Given to us by that lovely Helm's Memory Core

The Combine-Harvester Mech!

Because we all know that this:

REALLY NEEDS SOMETHING: LEGS

:supaburn:

I'm not how this would even speed up production, it seems like it would actually be a negative.

It allows for maximum cutt-itude and Razorificness! Didn't you take Future-tech 101: "Putting legs on poo poo with no legs"?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Linked for appropriateness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh_A7N3_mc

:golfclap::tipshat::banjo:

These are all that are required...

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

If I'm good at nothing else, it's digging up ridiculously obscure music. I bet ComStar has a whole division for pirated MP3s.

Permission to blare goofy comedy songs at stuck-up Kurita Mechwarriors is granted.

This is going to be the reason the Kell Hounds get a reputation in this timeline isn't it.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Oh god, why are we not playing this. I cannot imagine anything more fun :D

Neither can I.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, it always has been. I've gone entire D&D games without rolling higher than a 5 on a d20.

I once rolled eight 1's in a row on d20's. This occured over a space of 30 minutes, and we decided those rolls were too crappy and started the senario over.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Axe-man posted:

The only question for me, is whether I can strap on my Combine-Harvester attachment to it. :colbert:

Probably not, but you can make it ride the Combine-ant thing like some sort of badass blade-horse-ant-abomination.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

WarLocke posted:

You want to talk hilarious? I once played a game where a Griffin hit a BattleMaster in the head from extreme range after jumping with its PPC, scored a critical, destroyed the cockpit, we rolled to see how it fell and it ended up pitching backwards off of the level 2 cliff it was on and landed on top of the Locust in that hex, crushing that cockpit (and most of the rest of the mech).

The only way that could have been more ridiculous was if we had known about the Stackpole rule and were using it.

Then the second mech would've exploded, and the explosion would've been channeled by the BattleMaster's corpse into a forest that just happened to contain the artillary trap you had laboriously set up to retain the enemy leading to the immoliation of your whole long-range striking force leaving you with only a 20-tonner with no lasers, 5 jammed MG's with full ammo and no ability to dump said ammo, and 1 remaining point of armor on the torso, and with no jump-jets.

Edit:vFrom what I've seen, I think the physical-attack mechs were only in the tabletop games and the books, because it's too drat complicated to put a physical attack in with modifiers for weapons that can't possibly get carried by most mechs. It's also a pretty lovely gimmick to base a mech around when the enemy loves to lob poo poo at you from range.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 28, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

It boggles the mind that there are some crazy, insane people who do stuff like smoke/fire tracking and double blind in in-person battletech games.

Those are the same people who roll bluff checks on members of the party in DnD, aren't they.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

poo poo, double post, sorry

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Someone setup a server and I'll play with ya'll I could but it was take a bit to forward ports etc, etc.

To be actually be serious which is kinda hard for me the last time i posted on SA for any length of time it was in early days of YCS so i'm rusty, most of the old school guys who spent ages and ages painting and putting together models and battlefields for their mechs, with relatively nice pewter models didn't take to kindly to them putting out the newest version in kinda a "collect them all" style box collectables which was how it was at first. Randomly getting mechs is not something that someone who has a carefully planned assortment of what he is going to bring and put against the players or what the player wants to have. The fact that the quality to be honest looks like it took a dive did not help. In trying to go more mainstream and "pokemon" with it the core fanbase did what most relatively obsessed poeple do ignore it, or bash it endlessly.

For me it lost all it's appeal, it was a game i played with friends when all we had were mech books, 14 random pewter mech hand-me-downs and some dice. I'll be honest we weren't the richest bunch of college guys, but you can only run so many campaigns with the same people and simular situations, when Wizkids released the "clicky version" it pretty much spelled the end of any real interest anymore beyond the video games. Then those slowly died or went "mechassault" arcade style. So to someone like me it hails back to the period of time when i stopped liking mechwarrior. As for others, the reasons above, i believe that some game shops still play with the old rules simply because they never liked the new ones, nor the insane mechs that sprung up. example: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ares_(BattleMech)

This is the third time that the Ares has shown up in this thread, so the clicky game's designs made at least some sort of impact.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Slaan posted:

Is this the part where you say, "drat, you guys are lucky" and show that 15 LRMs hit on a single leg? Or we slagged all the weapons on a mech?

This is when the Dragon get's its leg blown off, falls down, and causes a rift that opens into an underground cave that swallows the griffin, and contains a hidden store of lostech, which the Kell Hounds use to hunt down every Kurita mechwarrior on the planet to avenge their fallen comrade.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

paragon1 posted:

And now I have the image of a Mech mariachi band stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

What do you think hotsauce bottles in the IS have on the labels?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Pinguliten posted:

Oh and for spamming the thread a bit, I mean christ, it only grows by 5-8 pages a day or so I saw something recently that I'm sure at least some of you have seen before.

In Japan they redesigned everything when they released the game over there and in some bisarre twist it was Studio Nue of Macross fame that did the new designs.

Here is a link to a gallery with scans from the books. They're.... well different. Some look good while otheMY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEIR FEET.

Some of them aren't bad, but my god, the DONGLES! Really, does a mech need so much random crap? Plus their Rifleman only has one gun per arm...

Edit: Why would they look the same? Because Americans say so, dammn it!:fsmug:

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 1, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I have to say A, Hanse can play innocent right up untill he lands troops on Luthien its self.

Edit: Oh poo poo........

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Fraction Jackson posted:

...my God. Why didn't I think of doing something like that?

Because you aren't an evil genius?

Also, why does everyone say Hanse should get a space-asian wife? No love for a Marik?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, they have. It's chemical, and in the food.

This, I belive. I also think that it says that Peri had to change her body chemistry in order to concive in one of the Jade Pheonix books.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

You think you got it bad? All I can find is "Grave Covenant." I don't even LIKE Victor. :smith:

Is it bad that I read "Grave Covenant" as "Groove Covenant"? Now I can't get the image of a Dire Wolf moonwalking out of my head.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Wow...Good luck :ese::ese::ese:

Sidenote: people have been criticizing the WoB as crazy, with a stupid cartoonishly evil master plan, but is it really a surprize? The group they split off from thought it more plausible that the clans were shape-stealling, mind-absorbing alien lifeform that ate Kerensky's men, stole their Mech technology, made new mechs, and came back to the IS than the (true) idea that the clans had decended from the members of the Exodus. All I'm saying is, Crazy runs in the family, so to speak.

Here's your citation, copy-pasted right out of the digital copy of Lethal Heritage:
Myndo chewed her lower lip to stop it from trembling. "Explanation?"
The Precentor Martial shrugged. "Their 'Mechs show evidence of technology beyond what we know. My advisors and I wrestled with the question of where these 'Mechs might originate and who piloted them right up until the time I left to join you here."
The Primus's dark eyes half-closed. "Are they Kerensky's army come back to haunt us?"
The Precentor Martial took a deep breath before answering. "That was one of the more popular theories we came up with, but some of the surface evidence seems against it. These 'Mech designs are alien to those the Star League army had when it abandoned the Inner Sphere three hundred years ago. When Kerensky's people left, they took with them support personnel, but no research scientists and no manufacturing facilities."
"As nearly as we know, Precentor Martial. With the slaughter of the intelligentsia that preceded the First Succession War, we cannot be certain who died that way and who had vanished beforehand."
Focht bowed his head to his Mistress. "Your point is valid, Primus. There are other reasons, however, and they also cast doubt on the Kerensky solution. For example, the paint scheme on the mystery machines is unlike that of any known Star League unit. More important, the most thorough scouting missions carried out on Kerensky's trail lost track of him over 130 light years beyond the Periphery borders. General Kerensky and his people are long gone from here."
Myndo's head came up. "Surely you cannot dismiss the return of Kerensky's people that easily."
Focht shook his head. "If I gave you the impression that we had easily ruled out the return of the Star League Defense Forces, I apologize. No, we considered it long and hard before setting it aside. Still, Primus, you should understand that 'the Return' is a bogeyman used to explain every unusual group that shows up in the Successor States. Wolf's Dragoons, for example, are the latest in a long line of groups tagged as having come from Kerensky—the Black Widow's surname adding much fuel to that fire. Even so, even if it were true, the Dragoons—and all the other groups before them—have only had 'Mechs with designs and features that date from the time of the Star League. Again, we have no evidence that Kerensky's people had the information or means to produce these new 'Mechs."
"I see." Myndo clasped her hands together, holding them at her waist in a pose of forced calm. "What, then, is the explanation you favor?"
The Precentor Martial hesitated for a moment. "Most of the explanations were mundane and ranged from a Periphery pirate band running across a hidden, Star League-vintage research station to a variation on any of a hundred 'lost colony' tales. Still, none of them possessed technology beyond that of the Star-League era. We need more evidence before verifying any conclusion, but I believe we must not rule out the possibility that these are non-humans."
That's impossible! Myndo's mind reeled at the thought of another sentient race because it pounded away at the foundation of her reality. She had been taught that mankind was the pinnacle of evolution, and was meant to rule the stars. ComStar, of course, would lead mankind to the fulfillment of its destiny. Her thoughts insisted that there could be no other sentients in the universe—but if there were, they would have to be destroyed.
Myndo glared at Focht "Why would another species use 'Mechs so similar to ours?"
The Precentor Martial's quick smile unsettled her. "It is as simple as it is horrifying, Primus. This is a race that has mastered the ultimate evolutionary tool: conscious genetic manipulation. They adapt quickly and efficiently. They mold themselves to their environment and then, like any sentient species, they manipulate the environment to broaden the niche they have chosen."
Before she could voice an objection, Focht continued his explanation. "Recall, if you will, the protonaria from the Davion world of Gambier. Those multicelled creatures ingest and co-opt genetic material from their meals. In this way, when food is scarce, they eat plants and develop chloroplasts so they can produce their own food. When Gambier's orbit places that dust cloud between it and the sun, the protonaria live off the scavenger bacteria that live off the dying plants.
"If you remember, protonaria were in great demand as a novelty item forty years ago. People would raise them in an aquarium and feed them virus-laden solutions. The different viruses would contain the genes for coloration, including lucifrase, so a tank of protonaria would be a multicolored, swirling mass that could even glow in the dark."
Myndo's anxiety locked a frown onto her features. "Those are simple creatures, Precentor. Protonaria could hardly pilot 'Mechs."
Focht's quick nod marked his agreement with her. "Imagine a higher creature, Primus, one capable of more complex genetic assimilation. It would only need to obtain human genetic material to be able to assume our form. If it could consciously manipulate its development, it could even begin to maximize its new potential."
Myndo shuddered. "How would it get. . . . Blake's Blood—Kerensky!"
The Precentor Martial nodded sadly, mourning the demise of a superior military mind. "As wild as it seems, we cannot discount the possibility that somewhere out there Kerensky and his people settled on a world that harbored these things and that it spelled the end for them. As we've not heard from Kerensky or his people, this could easily explain what happened to them."
His expression grew pained and his good eye focused distantly. "The assault could have come in any of a million different ways. To my mind, the most gruesome comes as a perversion of everything we hold dear. Imagine one of these creatures digging down into a grave and consuming just a piece of a dead body. Within a week or a month or a year— however long it took—the creature would become the person whose DNA it ingested."
Myndo's hands fell to her sides and clenched into fists. "The creatures would have been welcomed by the kin that had been left behind. Even if they remembered nothing of their former lives, their appearance would have been marked as a miracle."

I poo poo YOU NOT

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 4, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Trast posted:

So I thought I'd share with you my first experience in combat using MegaMek with some goons.

Also for those who can't read a visual representation. :zaeed:

Basically I got owned in glorious and hilarious fashion.

Yeah, not the best showing.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

In addition to self-appointed Thread Intelligence Officer, I am appointing myself Cardinal of the Church of Death From Above.

Ignore the dice. It's always worth it.

Your church sucks.

First you stomp on my mech, pushing me into a hospital for kittens with cancer where they also finally discovered the cure for cancer, then your team gangraped my Warhammer, then they blasted me with pulse lasers. Kind god my rear end.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 4, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Trast posted:

The mud was just the icing on the cake.

I don't think it was a cake. More like a pie.
A cow pie.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

I loved that one particular road that just didn't give a gently caress. Like the one spot it dropped from level 4 down to 0, then went back up to level 3 the next hex. And the road just kept going without a single care.

What I think happened was that there was a big sinkhole in the road, and the paving crew just poured the concrete in and said "gently caress it".

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Time for a little something something. Just finished a midterm and feeling good.

BattleMechs are Divisively Awesome

Today's episode: HER-2* Hermes II
Brought to you by Irian MechWorks: Irian. We probably own your whole family.

:bravo2:

[For 1/4 a second, a message flashes at the bottom of the screen.
"This was not an actual historical recording, but rather, a dramatization produced independently with the help of donations from Defiance Industries. Any similarities to any person or organization living or dead is purely coincidental."]
This is epic. :tipshat:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Trast posted:

Do not taunt the Cardassian. It never ends well for anyone. :ohdear:

Now I see PTN sitting in a dark cage with a sign on it that says "Please do not taunt the Cardassian", lit only by the light from his computer screen, an evil grin on his face, rolling his dice and cackling.

Good god I need sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Pinguliten posted:

Only 8 hours for me! Going to bed. :D
At least there is some positive things living in CET.

poo poo,I'm not going to bed tonight, am I?
First two AP English essays, and now this. But at least I have no excuse to blow them off.

Also: drat, I can actually see this game (BattleTech for Gennesis/SNES) being turned from a total waste of matter and energy into a competant collection of short stories. Bravo.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 30, 2011

• Locked thread