Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I created my account because of this thread (insert sarcastic "good for you" if one does desire). If there is still space, sign me up as a mech pilot. I haven't bought the platinum upgrade, so here's an email for getting in touch with me: email address is gone now.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Should Kerensky herself appear on the field during the clan encounter, in my mind there are two semi-usable options:
1) Ignore all other opponents and mass fire to bring her down (suicidal? yes. We will most likely lose a few units to her.)
2) Use someone as a distraction (read: sacrificial lamb)to keep her busy while the others attempt to complete the scenario's objectives.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

3) Cry and pray for a relatively painless death :gibs:

Acknowledged and fixed. I can't believe I forgot that option...

landcollector fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 4, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Do the Clans obey the Ares Conventions? And if not, could we maybe drop a spaceship on her or something? That's starting to look like our best option.

That might work. However, that might also cause her to pull an Id (from Xenogears) on our hapless unit.

"That was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating. Take it back!"
:gonk:

Sure, I'm exaggerating, but probably not by much.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Fare thee well, Divot! Your probable impending death will not be in vain.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's got 12 armor on a side and no turret to distribute the damage to, it's not going to be that hard to punch through.

Of course, the question I'm really, really surprised nobody's asked is: how many of its launchers are full of Infernos?

:gonk:

That question fills me with terror, and I'm not even playing in this scenario.

E: By the way PTN, did you notice my request to be placed in the lineup?

landcollector fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 8, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Nevets posted:

Posting this in anticipation of victory:

:banjo::ese:The Ballad of Engine Joe:ese::banjo:

Though the subject matter itself is saddening (R.I.P Engine Joe :ghost:), the song is brilliant. Nice work!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Well, that was an unpleasant turn. The Hunchback's gone and the Wolverine is effectively out of direct combat due to the engine hits that occurred in the last few turns. That leaves down to two effective mechs (even though Sir gently caress You is missing a leg actuator) and they are getting thin on frontal armor. I'm getting worried about the Caballeros' chances here. At least that SRM Carrier is out of the picture.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 12, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Sorry about the quote. It has been removed.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

radintorov posted:

Edit: now that Polaron's character is on foot, is he out of the battle or should he make a Mechwarrior RPG character and participate in the ground offensive? :D

He's not going to be able to do much in a ground offensive with a broken arm.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Nevets posted:

HBK-3B 'Banner'

Heh...

Banner gets hit by a salvo from a SRM-6 from nearby mech
"Banner (pilot) is angry! Banner SMASH!"
Banner then proceeds to headshot the unfortunate mech with his AC-20.

Lame? Quite possibly. Come on, everyone saw this one coming.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

anakha posted:

Might be better to do this for the Hunchback IIC. A Hulk that can't jump doesn't quite seem to fit the bill.

True, but the fact that the Hunchback IIC blows up if you shoot a spitball at it (figuratively speaking) kind of takes away from the idea.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh jeeze the overheating D:

:gonk: (I'm using that quite a bit aren't I?)

Does someone have a link to Johnny Cash's song Ring of Fire?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mission Objectives
11/20 hostages remain! La Dama Muerta will be executed next turn!
Rescue the Hostages or Bury them

I believe I speak for all Caballeros when I say, "Uh oh". Is there any way for her to not get shot next turn? If so, better get a move on guys :ese:. If not, make sure to crush her killers underneath the feet of your mechs. In fact, do that regardless of the outcome. Child killers deserve no mercy or quarter. :commissar:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Well, this scenario has turned out to be an utter disaster for the Caballeros. Two mechs gone, 1 more effectively disabled, 1 pilot dead, >=50% hostage fatalities (including La Dama Muerta) with an increase to >=75% likely coming next turn. Even if the remnants of the Death Commandos are killed, it's a phyrric victory at best.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 20, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Well the way the scenarios are set up, the game is going to be biased in favor of the goon squad. When PTN has the #1 choice of unit take on the #2 choice of unit, it's natural that the people watch the unit they wanted to see win getting thrown into a somewhat imbalanced fight is going to bring up some grumbling. If it were just Mexigoons vs a different random unit, there would probably be less complaints, because it wouldn't be direct opposition.

Also, Death Commando supporters in this case have to "put up with" songs and poo poo in favor of the Mexigoons (which I've got no problem with, but its still a very slanted form of thread support), and many cases of "Not sure why you people are supporting the bad guys. :smug:"

Cheap shots were/are getting thrown both ways. =P

Fair enough. However, don't put words (or smilies in this case) in my mouth. How was I acting smug? Previous post has been edited to remove the controversial line.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Zaodai posted:

It wasn't just you I was referring to, you just had the most recent case. I wasn't trying to single you out, but look back a few pages. There are people who were more smug about it than you.

Hmm, I see. Anyway, regardless of the scenario's end, I look forward to both it (after all, I'm guessing phyrric victories are not uncommon in the setting...) and to the next scenario.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I think Option B is the most politically interesting.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
My votes:

B)1st Lyran Guards (aka "Let's get slaughtered by Natasha Kerensky's Clan Widowmaker! :gibs:")

SC) Knight Lights

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Eh, not my clan of choice, but total destruction will most likely [don't ignore the luck of the dice!] still occur. Let the battle (? or slaughter?) commence! :black101:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I feel frightened by G1's piloting and gunnery numbers. I feel that G1 is either a Gargoyle or a Warhammer IIC, G3 is a Warhawk (if it is, 4 Clan ER-PPCs aiming at you = :gibs:), and G5 is an Executioner (it's one of the few general/Steel Viper Specific designs I can think of...). I would not be surprised if I am wrong, however.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 24, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Affi posted:

We can probably defeat all of Beta Star without adhering to zellbrigen. I mean that would win us the scenario and be "in character"

Not quite. The primary objective is to simply live 20 turns. Defeating Beta Star is a bonus objective. I do suppose, though, that partial victory is better than nothing...

landcollector fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 24, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd have asked him (her?) to choose a different 'Mech. Dusk doesn't need any more advantages, she's already got an Executioner.

Sometimes, I hate it when I'm right. Here is what they are facing...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Executioner_%28Gladiator%29

The upside, though, is if one can penetrate its armor in the right places say hello to a possible ammo explosion. Even with CASE, the explosion will still damage the engine I think. Being that the pilot is a Star Colonel, however, means that she is no dummy and will likely dump the ammo in the event of a probable armor breach in those areas. Also, its Gauss Rifle is scary, but if Dusk is using the prime config. the thing's only got 8 shots.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Guys.... metagame tactics here:

The Wolfhound challenges everyone. Both stars. All ten mechs. ALL of them. Invite them to bring friends if they think they're hard enough.

All that will remain of the Wolfhound will be a pair of legs...if it is lucky; The rest of the mech will have vaporized (how? if my guesses are right, 6+ Clan ER-PPCs, 1 Gauss Rifle, 2 ER Large Lasers, 2 Clan LBX-10 ACs, plus a boatload of weapons on the other mechs.).

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
The pilot of that Battle Cobra is suicidally ambitious. Clanners are good, I'll admit, but taking on something more than twice your size is...ill-advised.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

That's kind of the point. You should always be in a situation where there is a real chance of losing, if you are a Clanner. The dude who won the bid to capture Kai Allard-Liao bid nothing but one set of clothing and a pair of boots, if I recall, so that there would be a chance Kai might defeat him.

In this timeframe you would totally see mediums calling out Assaults, or Clan assaults calling out two or three machines at once.

The Clan assaults situation I could understand, as they are murder machines. Mediums calling out assaults, though...Clanners are kind of dumb that way. Honor before reason, I guess?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

We will never stop calling them REDACTED. Even after we finally meet them they will still be REDACTED.

You mean it's...them? The...Redacted? Oh Shi-
Warning: may be a little loud (yes I am aware the meme in question is old)

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I just call em rear end-to-Mouths cause they suck, no matter what.

In that case, the B for sure.

Oohh, Config B is painful indeed. Twin Clan ER-PPCs are pretty potent.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
The wall thing indeed makes no sense. Two words: Jump Jets.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Wait what?. How do you get promoted from a Star Colonel back to a Star Commander? Did they ever try to make sense when they made that game?

Perhaps they thought the phrase "with Bloodname" carries more prestige. Having played MW 2:GBL, I was under the impression that attaining a Bloodname involved fighting for a place in the trial to fight for a Bloodname slot, should one be open. They aren't handed out just like that.

Edit:
Here's the proper article:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Trial_of_Bloodright

landcollector fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 26, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

:words:

:worship:

That was beautiful.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

I am seriously considering trying to obliterate G5 if I win and take arty. I am still torn, though, because that would be a Dick Move since zellbrigen would be thoroughly shattered and all hell would break out.

"Losing is fun." :v:
Seek wisdom from Dwarf Fortress. There's a greater than even chance you're all going to die anyway; do it on your own terms, and deny the Clanners their glory.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Though I'm not an expert at this game, I think it's obvious that the difference between victory and defeat in this map will be keeping the second star in reserve as long as possible.

If I were in their situation, here's what I'd do:

1. Whittle the first star down to one or two 'Mechs as quickly as possible; then
2. Drag my heels on the last 'Mechs, firing only the perfunctory minimum shot or two to maintain (the appearance of) honour.
3. Try to stay at long range to minimize damage.
4. On about turn 18, destroy the last 'Mech from the first star to claim a partial victory.

Although the Clanners would eventually get wise to this, it would buy us some time. I'd hold a gradual retreating action as quickly as our faux "Zellbrigen" allowed - hide behind as many buildings as possible to set up the eventual ambush of the next star.

One possible problem there. There may be mechs in either of the stars that carry only short-medium range weapons. Should one of the pilots in our unfortunate lance start long-range duelling with such a mech, the Clanner in that mech could interpret that as breaking Zellbrigen. The source of my reasoning (from Zellbrigen article on sarna.net)-
Moving out of weapon range is prohibited.

About the pincer maneuver with the dropships, that is merely speculation, yes? If the dropships were hot, it might work. The Euphrates, as an Overlord class, carries a pretty good weapons loadout (limited by how many weapons it can aim at enemy mechs at once) Just try to kill the heaviest mechs first, as the survivors will turn around and focus fire (Zellbrigen means nothing at that point).

landcollector fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 26, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
B2 is either a Hunchback IIC or a Nova, isn't it?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

Ooh, can I guess?

Stormcrow? Griffin IIC? Shadow Cat?

A Stormcrow weighs 55 tons, a Shadow Cat 45 tons, a Griffin IIC 40 tons. Unless the changed history has resulted in these mechs having different tonnages from canon, those guesses are incorrect.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

raverrn posted:

It's gonna be a variant Hunchback II. Faster with even less armor.

So the armor's as thin as tissue paper rather than notebook paper? :)

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

So even though the IS pilots don't know about that yet, after they do end up with some Clan tech in their possession, how would the Clan pilots react if during a zellbrigen duel the IS pilots were to point out that the Clans' gunnery skills must be really lovely if they need a computer to do all their targeting and aiming for them?

The Clanner in question would probably respond by saying that they don't need them, they just use them to reduce waste (especially with ballistic weapons systems), if they responded at all. Clanners are big on minimizing waste.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Will do.

Also, heh... someone just got saved by a hill.

Well, that sounds both disheartening and promising at the same time.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

“—as I watch you from my perch atop the spaceport!” Sam cursed, then remotely tapped into the Colonel’s cameras. There, plain as day, a stooped little ‘Mech was leaning over the edge of the spaceport like a gigantic crow. Its legs did little to disabuse her of the comparison, it was a retrograde chicken walker that drew unfavorable comparisons in her mind with the Locust. Each of the ‘Mech’s arms ended in a blocky collection of lasers that would have reminded her of a marauder were they not capped by a tiny battle fist.

Samantha blinked, that was a ‘Mech? It was tiny, how did you even cram a fusion engine into something that small? She almost felt sorry for the Clan pilot but instead let herself imagine that the unknown ‘Mech’s low profile made it hard to spot. An advantage, if these Clanners ever stopped playing and started fighting for real.

I guessed right this time. It's a Nova. This will get painful. :suspense:

V V V V V V V Like I said, a Nova.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I've been looking at the battle values for mechs on the wiki. A Nova has a signiicantly higher battle value than an Atlas. :gonk:

Perhaps I'm not interpreting the values right, but that frightens me. I know Clan tech is much better than 3025-era IS tech, but I didn't know exactly how much.

• Locked thread