Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

the yeti posted:

Meaning the Rommel can shank people and NOT cause a free-for-all murderfest because of the way Clanners see vehicles to start with?

Technically, yes. However, should the mech in question survive it will be free and clear to open up on the Rommel with its full weapons loadout without losing honor. In short, the Rommel should only do this if it wishes to die quickly and painfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They'll be doing that anyway. The Rommel doesn't even count towards victory; best that it make itself as useful as possible.

Hmm. I see. Oh well, make the Clanners earn this area with blood and metal. :black101:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

Ignoring the REDACTED?

We got a small taste in the form of Clan Large Pulses - the damage of a PPC, more range, lighter, smaller and with a -2 hit bonus. Some designs mount as many as four such guns.

Weapons that can take off a mech's head at ranges greater than an LRM. Some designs mount as many as four such guns, too. And they're energy-based, so you can fire them forever.

LRMs with no minimum ranges.

Single guns that can do 40 points of damage a turn.

Targeting computers that not only provide a to-hit bonus but allow them to target-fire and peel the limbs or head off a mech that's still active.

The ability to literally not care about heat ever for some designs while doing more damage than many IS heavies and assaults.

Mechs that can run 20 hexes in a turn - the same one being capable of dealing 30+ damage a turn at 15 hexes.

Mechs that can deal 100 damage per turn, mechs that can fire at you from 30 hexes out, assault mechs that move like a Griffin...

If the Clans wanted to in this scenario, they could probably wipe out the defenders by turn 10. 5, if they didn't feel like sticking to honor rules.

Fortunately for our players, the 40 damage gun doesn't exist for the Clans until the late 3060s (in canon). As for the 20 hexes at running speed mech, you're talking about a Firemoth variant aren't you? A Firemoth in the Prime Config. can't deal 30+ damage at 15 hexes. Also, weapons that fire and hit at 30 hexes? If one uses extreme ranges rules (the wiki is vague about how to implement them though. What are the modifiers?) a few weapons can target out to 40+ hexes.

Edit: Found it. It's the D Configuration of the Firemoth.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Carbolic posted:

No -- several TR:3050 'Mechs are equipped with the (do I need to spoil this??) UAC/20.

:ughh:

I keep forgetting that Ultra series autocannons fire two projectiles every time the trigger is pulled.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

A Mech so good it was banned in the CCG. Its Battle Value is greater than that of a 3025 Atlas.

"Aleksandr Kerensky's description for an Altas posted:

"a 'Mech as powerful as possible, as impenetrable as possible, and as ugly and foreboding as conceivable, so that fear itself will be our ally."

Atlas's Battle Value(2.0):1,897
Firemoth-D's Battle Value(2.0): 1,916

The Atlas's SRM-6 launcher weighs more than the amount of armor on the Firemoth-D. So Atlas, how does it feel to discover that your combat ability is considered slightly below that of a 20 ton scout mech?

Atlas: :(

I know that all the Atlas has to do is sneeze at it and it will likely die, but that must be disheartening.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 28, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I like this so much...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, goddamn that's a lot of '2's.

I am curious as to whether that is good news or bad news for the players. :raise:

I guess we'll discover that soon enough.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Come on CT TAC with my AC20 on B2!

That would be hilarious, given the circumstances.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

enigma74 posted:

Perhaps only the Cyclops should be shooting the unconscious pilot - wouldn't want to break the zelbringen or whatever unless we want to be obliterated by the three heavies in beta star.

Either option breaks Zellbrigen. However, only the Cyclops (I think) will face retribution if it alone fires at the fallen Nova; that is, if my interpretation is right. In character though, the players wouldn't know that.

V V V V VMaybe, maybe not. Imo, it makes sense from the Clan perspective. There is no glory killing a prone foe who can't even make an attempt at fighting back, quiaff? Besides, the article only has one reference anyway, a single page from the Total Warfare book. That's not exactly much to work with.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 28, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Popy posted:

gently caress this spergy clanner honor system. Lets light them the gently caress up. Open up with everything dropships, and all. The 2nd Donegal Guards will go down in glory fighting on their own terms.

Show the clans how House Steiner rolls.

The dropships are powering up from a cold shutdown state. They are currently unable to use their weapons. For now, I agree with either destroying the right arm or aiming at the cockpit and requesting the Nova's surrender.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Spikey posted:

You should try to convince them that the "Clan Steiner" had mastered multi part transforming mech technology and so the Cyclops and the tank are really two parts of the same mech and that's why the tank shooting him wasn't cheating.

If I am remembering correctly, the Clans hate transforming mechs (*cough*LAMs*cough*)due to the caste systems they utilize. That action wouldn't be likely to get a favorable response.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Polaron posted:

Yes. Tear the Nova's arm off and use it in a duel.

I am getting vibes of the final episodes of Gundam: 8th MS Team here...
DO IT! :black101:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SageNytell posted:

This must be it. I remember the profile of the missile pods being really broad, in the style of the Timber Wolf, not like the more manageable ones on the Catapult. It looked like a giant fuckoff missile boat, and I've been searching through on Sarna but was unable to find it. Must have seen an illustration of it in one of the books and thought it was a different mech.

That said, I am surprised there is no larger version of the Catapult, seems like a sensible sniper design.

There is a bigger version...sort of. One of the unseen, the Archer, is five tons heavier and carries a nearly identical weapons loadout (only it carries 2 LRM-20s instead of 2 LRM-15s), but it does not share the same shape profile. Some variants of it can be nearly as lethal as an Atlas in terms of battle value.

raverrn posted:

Yeoman?

That's a very strange design. Just imagine the glorious ammo explosions that can take place with that loadout...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

The Laser Heat sink works by converting Infared Energy (heat) into light (lasers). Just because it's a laser doesn't mean it's a fuckoff beam of concentrated death. Otherwise laser pointers would require permits to use.

My stance on the issue is that while laser heat sinks may work, I'll take conventional double heat sinks instead. My 12-15 meter tall war machine is already noticeable enough, why make it stand out even more?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

They could all banana peel the moment they touch pavement and knock themselves unconscious.

Edit: Ahahaha, drat, I was not expecting that!

Judging by this, I'm expecting hilarity on part of the medium/heavy star. Star Colonel Dusk, if she can see this, is probably having this reaction: :ughh:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

LeschNyhan posted:

TOP SECRET LEAKED GREY DEATH LEGION FOOTAGE
MYSTERIOUS 'CLANS' INVADE PERIPHERY

That is a pretty good picture. One question: what weapon is that on the mech's right special mount, in the place of the usual missile rack? An artillery cannon?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
So, B3 is a Mad Dog, a custom one at that. None of the variants listed on the wiki carry 2 Clan ER-PPCs. Sucks to be Mechwarrior Knox though; one bit of bad luck and he must leave the battlefield in disgrace. His career and honor will be long in recovering, if they ever do. His likely fate is transfer to a second-line posting and eventually a Solahma unit.

Warlocke posted:

If this new heavy (sounds like a Vulture derivative?) is PPC-armed then I need to try to get into their minimum range. Which also conveniently would put me in range to use my big gun. What do you think, Muk, since he challenged both of us shall we show him what a Steiner gangbang is like?

Edit: And poo poo, Gunnery 2? This is gonna hurt.

Clan ER-PPCs have no minimum range. Challenging two Assaults at once? Gutsy of him. Especially considering he only has ~8 tons of armor.

V V V V V V A bloodnamed warrior?! This early?! OH SHI-

landcollector fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 31, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

WarLocke posted:

One of those Gamma Star assaults is a Masakari with a TC and large pulse lasers, isn't it? Bullshit. :colbert:

Given the fact that PTN has redesigned the A variant of the Mad Dog, I'm would not be surprised to learn the Warhawk is equipped with at least a couple Heavy Large Lasers.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

Heavy large lasers aren't invented yet, sadly. Honestly, ERPPCs + targeting computer is overpowered enough. If you want to make it more unfair then swap some of those ERPPCs for large pulse lasers (Warhawk C).

Remember, history has changed from canon. Unless PTN says they're not around yet, don't count them out.

We know that B5 is likely to be a Hellbringer. B4, based on the tonnage, could be a Rifleman IIC. If so, major potential pain in store. However, a hole in my theory is that the aerial flyover unit would probably have been shot down by now, if B4 is what I think it is. Another major hole is that, unless it has received a major engine upgrade, its walk speed should be around 3 hexes not 6.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

enigma74 posted:

Wow. Given those numbers (80 clan omnimechs vs huge planetside army) we are delaying 12.5% percent of their total force with a pittance. Holding for 20 turns would, in Total War (video game) terms be a heroic victory.

Perhaps, but I'd consider it more that they're humoring themselves, letting you think you have a chance. If they really wanted to kill you (i.e. no Zellbrigen), they would steamroll the players in a few rounds.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Alchenar posted:

How many seconds is a turn? Is 20 turns really a long amount of time in the grand scheme of things? (Especially seeing as this is the Starport and therefore the most important real estate on the planet).

Roughly speaking, flavor aside, a game turn is around 10 seconds of in-universe time (I think). So the primary victory condition is to survive about 3 1/2 in-universe minutes (in between the fluff conversations). Rather sobering, no?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

True. How about "The Warhammer IIC, a second-line Mech, is more desireable than the Man O' War Omni of the same tonnage". Discuss.

I'd make the case for the Rifleman, but I'm terrified of a Loki with advanced construction materials.

Like others have said, the Warhammer the IIC model is based on was designed fairly well. The weapons loadout on a Warhammer IIC is primarily energy-based, so barring heat management issues and repairs it effectively has unlimited battle endurance. The Gargoyle, however, was designed with a primarily ballistics centered weapons loadout. If it depletes the ammo bins of its 2 LB 5-X ACs and 2 SRM-6s, its only remaining weapon system is the lone ER Small Laser. Also, the weapons on the Gargoyle aren't exactly hard hitting. The only thing that can inflict more than 5 damage per shot is the SRM-6, and that at close range only. In comparison the Warhammer IIC's weapons hit much harder. Note that this comparison is made using the prime configs. of each mech.

As for the Rifleman IIC vs. Hellbringer debate; I love the Rifleman IIC, but I think the Hellbringer is better in some respects. The ER-PPCs have a slightly better max range, the Hellbringer is faster, and it carries an ECM Suite (which renders the Rifleman's Active Probe useless once affected). The Rifleman, however, is not without its pluses though. At long range, it can deal more damage (up to 40 vs. 30). Also, the Rifleman has thicker armor. Again, my comparison was made using each mech's prime configuration.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

The phrase "the Rifleman is better armored" blows my mind.

It's true though.

Rifleman IIC: 11 tons
Hellbringer: 8 tons

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Perhaps off-topic, but this thread makes me want to dig out my old MW 2 disc and install it on a Windows 98 equipped computer I have sitting around. Ah, the memories....I had so much fun playing that game way back when.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

elitebuster posted:

1) Good for you
2) Why in the hell do you still have a computer with windows 98?

Answer: I have some old games that I like to play every so often, and I don't feel like messing with finicky emulators for my other machines.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

anakha posted:

I'm guessing the 6/9 heavy is a Linebacker.

And if that's the Prime configuration, drat, that's a lotta PPCs the heavy star is packing. :ohdear:

I suppose that is possible, but I consider that unlikely. It is a mech designed by Clan Wolf for Clan Wolf, and they're not even part of the invasion force in this timeline.

Edit: Why is the Linebacker listed under Clan General Battlemechs?

landcollector fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 1, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In this timeline Clan Widowmaker absorbed Clan Wolf :ssh:

I'm aware of that. Even taking that into account, isn't the mech not supposed to be around yet? In the canon timeline, when did it first begin being produced?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Grishka posted:

Since I enjoy large fighting robots I've decided to download MegaMek and drag one of my friends along to play against me, despite neither of us having any experience playing the board game, and my only experience in large robot-fighting is having watched my dad play Mechwarrior and then myself playing the MechAssault titles.

Pray I don't have the confidence to join the pilot-pool.

Also: This is such an awesome thread :)

Go ahead, join the pool! I did, and I certainly have no experience with the board game. Sure I might end up dying a hilarious death, but that's half the fun (not so much fun if said death ends up contributing to a scenario loss though...).

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
So, B4's going after the Wolfhound...unless the lucky dice make more appearances I don't expect the Wolfhound to see turn 10 (at the outside).

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Random question, since I played the MW games but not the tabletop, whats the most "powerful" mech? Daishi?
Actually, a Warhawk has a higher battle value than a Dire Wolf.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Your LP 'mechs scare me. :ohdear:

They also me happy in the coolant suit to know that you're going to post TRO: PoptartsNinja when this LP is done. :sun:

I also account for your HeavyMetal giving different numbers because I went into MegaMek and told it to give me a list of absolutely every 'Mech it had on file, including Advanced, Experimental and Unofficial. It may have more 'mechs than your Heavy Metal has.

Also, did you know that you don't need to use Heavy Metal? They produced MegaMekLab, which works quite well.

Using the 2.0 BV ratings makes the Config. C Dire Wolf even more powerful, with a rating of 3,610.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That's the rating I quoted for it.

:ughh:

Reading Comprehension failure in progress...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

elitebuster posted:

I think the main thing about giant mecha is that they are always a stupid concept that are utterly rediculous in practice. They have never, ever made sense as a military product.

But how about that Wolfhound? Is it hosed, or what?

Unless the Wolfhound's pilot abuses/manipulates Zellbrigen, yes. Even then, probably yes. Barring outside influences or insanely good luck, a level 1 35-ton IS mech against a level 2 65-ton Clan mech has a rather predictable result.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Notgothic posted:

He's challenging the clanner to a drinking contest.

When the clanner's not looking, switch his vodka for the IS equivalent of Everclear (not advisable to do in real life). When the clanner dies of alcohol poisoning, taunt the other clanners about their supposed genetic superiority.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, Jesus Christ, that was unexpected. Gotta love TACs.

Judging by PTN's tone in this, I think we either just lost a mech or will in the next turn...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Aesirstorm posted:

I'm worried about the Mad Dog

By what I infer from PTN's comment about lots of SRM rolls, that Mad Dog probably has quite a few SSRM launchers mounted (most likely being SSRM-4 and/or SSRM-6 launchers) in addition to the 2 Clan ER-PPCs.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Nervously hoping that the TAC shot down the SRMs by accident :f5:

TAC means Through Armor Critical and it is Not A Good ThingTM. Well, at least it's not a good thing when it happens to you.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
The scenario just turned even further against the players I think. The Wolfhound is disabled and the Banshee is gone. In addition, the pilots of the two remaining combat worthy mechs are injured. I did love the banter between Star Colonel Dusk, Star Commander Winter Breen, and Mechwarrior Knox. Prediction: All of the players' mechs are destroyed or disabled by turn 12.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Hope you guys enjoy your new lives as bondsmen.

If PTN allowed the Stackpole effect, I would disengage the safeties on my fusion engine and go out with a bang. Better dead than a Clanner slave. Since that isn't an option, try to impress the Clanners as much as you can before you are beaten.

V V V If you're lucky enough for the Rommel to just be disabled and not outright destroyed, I would have your crew try to radio one of the dropships, abandon the tank, and run like hell towards the one that could take you (if it could). Note that it is academic since the lance won't last till turn 20. No one is leaving when that happens...

landcollector fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Artificer posted:

What is bondsref? I'm sorry I have no idea how the clan bondsman system works.

Here is your answer:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bondsman

WarLocke posted:

I'm pretty sure a-pods didn't exist when the 3050 TRO/omnis were first introduced.

You're right. On the Anti-Personnel Pod's wiki entry, the references indicate the 1st time it is mentioned is in the TRO:360 text.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 6, 2011

• Locked thread