Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tempest_56 posted:

Battletech for the Genesis was released in 1994.

Mechwarrior 1 was released in 1989. Crescent Hawk's Inception was 1988.

So sadly, no. And the other two were much better.

Apropos of very little, Crescent Hawk's Inception was in many ways a lousy game, but dammit I had fun with it.

Crescent Hawk's Revenge, on the other hand, I never got more than a few missions in on, on account of being a novice to Battletech and butting my head up against the more-faithful-to-tabletop rules. Plus, they put my dudes in Urbanmechs. That's just mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I like that 'remove the arm it bidded with with aimed fire' idea. Put these so-called honorable yahoos to the test and see if they actually do back down when they lose a challenge.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Then get your Wolfhound pilot into the Clan 'Mech. :)

No, no, clearly the Wolfhound pilot is doing well right where he is. Get one of the tank crew into the Clan 'Mech.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

If the Cyclops can take its opponent down too you should demand that they both surrender and that Commander Dusk should take her Assault Star and withdraw out of shame for having deployed such insultingly poorly-trained troops to battle.

Then focus fire on the remaining medium star members because clearly they are unworthy of being fought like honorable soldiers.

The clanners apparently conflate "being a kickass warrior" and "having an honor code." If you give them the impression that you have an even stricter honor code than them, you may also give the impression that you are, accordingly, better warriors than them. Who knows? It might just confuse them enough that they'll back off for a few rounds and give the dropships more time to warm up.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

We gotta do something crazy and macho to make them think this was more than luck. If you're backed into a corner you come out as a total wildass. That's the 2nd Donegal motto.

Tell Dusk she can have her fallen Mechwarrior back if she can beat the IS' best pilot in a game of Battlemech Hacky-Sack, using said fallen Mechwarrior as the sack.

If she loses, she has to be the hacky-sack next round. Let's see how much her subordinates want to get her back in one piece.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Xmas Future posted:

I have to wonder why the clanners haven't vapourized the tank. It was a valid target from the start and now it's running around blasting dueling mechs.

Actually, I think the fact that the IS pilots are playing along - mostly - with the whole Honorable Combat shtick has been impressive enough to the Clanners that they've been distracted from paying attention to the tank.

I expect the conversation is running along the lines of "Hey, maybe we should blow up that ta--" "I'm impressed with these freebirths! They show spirit!" "Yeah, but what about the--" "I shall challenge them myself now!" "Guys, seriously, the t--" "Onward! To battle!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Kind of a shame the Colonel didn't think faster on his feet; I wonder if he could have claimed Mechwarrior Knox as a bondsman and promptly ordered him to turn around and attack the rest of the Clanners with his remaining arm.

Ah well, opportunities lost. I gotta say, though, the tales of this battle that're sure to be told by the Clanners - no matter which side wins - are probably going to be highly complimentary, in a sneering sort of way, to the 2nd Donegal. Which leads me to wonder... doesn't that mean the Clans will start sending their best and brightest towards this corridor, in the hopes of gaining the most glory by defeating House Steiner? I wonder if a victory here might not cost more than it gains, in the long run...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Seriously, guys. It's okay. We can get rid of the 1980s "Ohhhhhh, everything is so crap and godawful" bullshit without it not being BattleTech.

It's okay.

Say it with me. "I can let go."

I dunno - honestly, I like the "everything is godawful" legacy bullshit.

To be specific, I kinda dig the notion that several centuries of near-continual warfare under the rule of half-assed feudal houses is not exactly going to result in breathtaking technological innovation; after the first few generations of low-bid contracts, shoddy and half-assed become the norm. The greatest Mechwarriors aren't necessarily the most talented but the ones that are most able to get the most out of their half-assed legacy machines; targeting systems kinda suck because they're running the in-universe equivalent of COBOL and no one's been willing to pony up the cash for the talented programmers to untangle the spaghetti code (and besides which, the only decent CompSci programs are run by techno-Jesuits who don't like to share).

I have this notion in the back of my mind that the average IS citizen - at least the ones living outside of the border marches - could honestly give two shits about the constant war by this point; they're just glad that the continual reliance on BattleMechs means there's never going to be conscription. Let the nobles go off and blow the gently caress out of each other, who cares?

(I have no idea to what degree, if any, this is contradicted by the fluff. But it sounds right in my head, anyways.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wait a second, is that 'Mech going after the Wolfhound an Assault 'Mech (edit: At least I assume the weights must be comparable if the computer is calling the thing a Longbow)? Challenging a Medium?

How's this dude expect to gain honor and glory by hunting down a 'Mech that's half his size? Mission directive be damned, that's still a punk move, and Dusk ought to be calling him on that bull, shouldn't she?

vvvv Even worse, then, innit?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Quoting myself, since this was already answered on this very page?

Or, in other words: You guys chose to bring a wolfhound.

Fair 'nuff, and mea maxima culpa on the reading comprehension failure. Oops.

Felime posted:

"I bid my large laser and this case of vodka against your mech and a case of vodka. Not using all your weapons is dishonorable."

"I challenge you to a BattleMech thumb-wrestling contest. ...what's that? No hands on your 'Mech? Looks like you lose, bondsman."

(Hey, they chose to bring a handless 'Mech. Good for the goose...)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I vote the tank crew gets the hell out of the tank and challenges MechWarrior Knox to come out of his machine "since he's apparently too stupid to know what 'withdrawing' means, the giant wuss" and fight them like men.

He was supposed to be withdrawing, after all, and something about the mental image of one genetically-engineered warrior having a fistfight with a couple of pissed-off infantry grunts in the middle of a Giant Robot Firefight strikes me as appropriately :black101:.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

The Clans do have armor units, only they are just in garrisons. It would probably be easier for them to become Warriors as tank pilots versus Mech pilots, because while most Clan pilots are better, Clan tank crews are actually 5/6 as their base skill.

So armor crew 12 would actually be really badass if they were captured, and garrison units are mostly washout trueborns and freebirth tank crews anyway.

I look forward to PTN's later 25-year flash-forward, where we learn that Armor Crew 12 gained so much renown after their capture as bondsmen that they each earned Bloodnames and have been sung of as the greatest warriors of the age.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

raverrn posted:

Please. Dumb motherfucker couldn't even kill a tank right.

This is why I wanna see the tank crew challenge him to fisticuffs. I think Dusk might tell him to accept the challenge in an attempt to erase his shame, since 'warriors who don't even merit a 'Mech look to be just about your speed.'

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I hope they moon him, challenge him to fisticuffs, and then moon him again until he surrenders (as anyone would).

"The dezgra Steiners appear to be showing me their backsides. One of them bears markings on his buttocks reading 'Mom.' I... have no idea how to respond to this chalcas behavior."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Stretch those fights out, use those turns!

I've gotta say, while this has been an awesome showing by the 2nd Donegal, I still have the persistent worry that they're dooming themselves in the long run. By becoming one of the foremost units - if not the foremost unit - to impress the Clans, it seems to me you'll see the Clanners falling all over themselves to try and fight the 2nd Donegal - the surest source of battle honor in the Inner Sphere. When your enemy's most prestigious units are all gunning for you, that's a pretty rough situation to be in...

...although come to think of it it'll mean that those units aren't attacking other, less-capable companies. I wonder if Lyran High Command won't start stationing the 2nd Donegal in positions designed to draw out elite Clan warriors in order to relieve pressure from other vital worlds? Rough on the Donegal Guards, maybe, but better for the Commonwealth?

Also, kudos to that Wolfhound pilot, the Little Mech That Couldn't In The End But Still Had Balls Of Solid Steel.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Seems to me that if the Vipers want to attack the Unwearied Second, that would be good for the Lyrans: massively reinforce the Second, station them somewhere accessible and in a good location but not direly needed, and use them to draw off the brunt of the Vipers' ire.

Yeah, the more I think on it the more I think it'll be great for the Lyrans... just not so good for the actual members of the 2nd Donegal who are now wearing the Universe's Biggest Bullseye.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spencerb posted:

Well, I gave it a go.

I would argue that you gave it a lot more than a go, man. Outmassed by 30 tons by everything else on the battlefield, facing enemies with vastly superior tech, you outlasted the Banshee (RIP Banshee) and fought well enough that you impressed the Clanners enough to be taken as a Bondsman. Sure, it could have worked out a lot better than it did, but as things stand that's still - to my admittedly inexpert eyes - a pretty impressive performance.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

And nobody likes him because of it. His cheating is too obvious, even for the other Steel Vipers. Guess who gets to pilot the Naga next?

Given the way he was being dressed down after his failed challenge, is he going to get even that much, or is he bound for a garrison unit and whatever 'not good enough for a real unit' 'Mech they can scrounge up for him?

EDIT: I'm struck by how, in a thread about giant fighting robots, everyone seems to have fallen in love with the scrappy tank crew. Goes to show how far heart'll take you in the Unwearied Second.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I dunno about the rest of you, but Clan Ghost Bear is my favorite for the even less rational reason that I like the animal they are fashioned after and their quasi-Totem Mech, the Kodiak. Oh, and I like their color schemes.

Plus, they're pretty chill dudes that wreck poo poo when they have to.

So yeah, all my reasons for liking the Ghost Bears have almost nothing to do with their actual battles and such. :downsgun:

[EDIT] Also, I think one of their Galaxies is called "Bear Essentials", so yeah, they've got high ranks in Punnery.

Hey, it's no worse than my reasons for really liking the Free Worlds League - namely that of the 5 factions (Clans? What Clans? I'm old, yo), they had the logo I liked the best and besides, no one else at the gaming store seemed to really care about 'em so I figured I'd be the standout.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

So judging by all the talk of how the Naga's sole reason for being is to provide a lovely pillar of flame several miles high, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it doesn't have CASE?

Enjoy your new coffin, Knox! You've certainly earned it! :byewhore:

As a result of this battle, in the year 2782, elderly Clan Warriors seeking an honorable death are assigned to a Cluster composed entirely of Nagas and sent forth to seek battle with the 2nd Donegal. To further increase their chances of a glorious death, each has had their Nagas emblazoned with the words 'Jennifer Steiner Blows Goats' in three-foot-high letters across their torsos.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Waitaminute, what? The ejection system would have to be literally simultaneous to the damage for that to make any sense.

You will never make Battletech make sense. It will not happen, no matter how hard you try.

Just let the awesomeness of Giant Robot Combat wash over you, eroding your belief in things like "science." It helps.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WarLocke posted:

(2nd Donegal is now officially the most badass unit in the PTN-verse, in my totally non-biased opinion)

Yeah, the Caballeros were pretty badass, but it's hard to top the Unwearied Second.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

the JJ posted:

Kick him in the shins. Break his leg, then kick his cockpit in. He can thank Mechwarrior Knox for showing the Inner Sphere the wisdom of mercy.

Rossi: "Sweep the leg."
Clover: *stares in shock*
Rossi: "Do you have a problem with that?"
Clover: "No, Sensei!"
Rossi: "No mercy!"

(Tank crew: "Get him a body bag! Yeah!")

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Traitor. That should be Star Colonel Dusk and whoever is fighting the Zeus. :colbert:

Yeah, but no one's suggesting that the Clanners sweep the leg!

On the bright side, since Clanners don't usually do the physical combat thing, their TNs for the Daniel-san crane Kick would be atrociously high, so you should be safe.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Volmarias posted:

In the grim dark future, there is only animu

Clearly the Clans developed the practice of taking bondsmen as an attempt to catch 'em all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

This battle is ridiculously compelling - like, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how things turn out.

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of a minatures wargame being played over the internet by people I don't know.

...what the hell? Seriously, what the hell?

This fight hasn't even ended and yet I'm still more emotionally invested in it than I have been in any of the Battletech games I actually played with real people in face-to-face interactions. Kudos, PTN. Big, big kudos.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ZeeToo posted:

So can someone with a stronger understanding of Battletech rules than me give us a best-guess on the players' chance to win, partially and/or totally?

My understanding of the rules isn't terribly strong, in all honesty, but it's non-zero; I figure that qualifies me to give an opinion but keep in mind that other peoples' opinions may differ and they're probably right because they're smarter than me.

Anyways, the players' chance to win looks to me to be low but non-zero. Next round is the key - if the Cyclops survives and gets to that Mugger to lay some HTH smackdown and if the dice go his way, then there's a chance that the Mugger could get put down... but really, Rossi's Cyclops isn't the main attraction here.

That distinction belongs to Fan Favorite Lt. Samantha Clover and her "Steiner Rules" punch-out with the Lucerne. Even if Rossi's Cyclops gets cored by the Mugger, chances are that the Mugger will be constrained by honor rules to stop shooting and/or hitting things until the Zeus/Lucerne duel is complete, so the chances are reasonably high that Clover will be able to draw the battle out for several rounds; the fact that you get only one physical attack per turn limits the damage-throwing potential of both 'Mechs, which will keep the fight lasting longer than it might otherwise (not to mention negating the Clan advantage of superior gunnery skill and mo' better guns to use it with - hell, if memory serves the Clan pilots are actually penalized for physical attacks).

I don't think the fight is going to last 9 turns, but if Clover can make the fight last at least, say, five turns then she may be able to issue a similar challenge to the Mugger's pilot, and if Rossi is successful in battering the Mugger up a bit then there's a decent chance that the Mugger may have to spend, say, 2 turns reaching her, and then it's just a matter of staying alive for just 2 more turns...

A lot of things have to go right for the Unwearied Second to pull out a win, and the dice could well screw the pooch for them (hell, if Clover gets stupidly lucky and KOs the Lucerne with a punch in the proverbial nose and knocks out its pilot or something, that fantastic victory could actually screw the Steiners in the long run). At present I'd give them... say 30% odds, but that could all change very shortly.

So, yeah. Rossi's the sideshow right now unless he gets ridiculously lucky; Clover's the main event. I think the current course of action is probably the best one the team has available - the "Steiner Rules" challenge was sheer fuckin' brilliance - and gives them their best shot of winning, but even that best shot is longer'n one might hope.

(edited to add - I actually think that, depending on how Rossi does, the odds of a total victory might actually be better than the odds of a partial; if Rossi gets shot to poo poo by the Mugger, then Clover might be able to keep the duel alive long enough to hit the 20-turn mark pass while the Mugger is still standing. If Rossi kills the Mugger dead, though, it's anyone's guess, because then Clover has to draw out the duel for as long as possible to keep the Assault Star out of action for as long as possible.)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 15, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

A 40K thread would be awesome, but I almost think there's a more LPable game out there, and it's called Necromunda.

I loved Necromunda.

Anyways, threadjack over now.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Come on TAC to gyro, big money big money no whammy no whammy stop-

plus = ???

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yep, Rossi got cored. I was afraid of that.

Now it all boils down to "Can Clover manage to not die for 9 more turns?" Which, given that the Clanner is smart enough to kick, might be tricky...

Maybe the players will get lucky and the Mugger will fail its piloting check to stand back up, thus falling down on its head.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WarLocke posted:

At least I managed to gently caress up one of its legs. :patriot:

Not that it'll help Muk since the drat thing has bullshit no-minimum-range LRMs.

If Muk wins the Lucerne Brawl, and if the Mugger then accepts a challenge under Steiner Rules (the only kind of challenge Clover can really issue after the ammo dump), then that leg injury could prove crucial, as Clover can stand still and burn up precious turns waiting for the Mugger to limp its way into the forest without falling over and crippling itself some more.

That leg damage could turn out to be crucial, actually. If, if, if.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I know they're dirty mercenaries and all, but I think that in this instance the Unwearied Second and its valiant defender, Lt. Samantha Clover, needs to take a page from the book of the Caballeros.

And that page has only two words on it.

Those two words are JUSTICE FOOT.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

In the grim darkness of the far Battletech future, there is no justice.

There's just us.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

"In the grim darkness of Battletech's future there is only--"

"Boot to the head."

"Ow!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes. An 'accidental' fall from above is treated like Death From Above.

....I'm not sure if this would be the smartest move - it'd hurt the Zeus, too, after all, given that it's still a fall and all, and the Wolfhound proved to us that falls can be really bad.

But it might be the most awesome move, which makes it worthy of consideration.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Trast posted:

The most awesome choice is humbling the Clanner and getting to turn 20, actually. :colbert:

Actually, if the Lucerne is currently laying face-down, the most awesome choice would be to straddle him and then ride that 'Mech like a buckin' bronco while the DropShip crew, in admiration, puts rodeo music on all the external speakers.

...until turn 20.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Not a lot to say here except GO MUK, GO! :hist101:

Shame the Mugger managed to stand. Ah well.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Another Left Torso hit on the Lucerne and we could potentially be into interesting territory here...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Stand.

Punch.

Yell "SHORYUKEN!"

...you know the Clanners are all Street Fighter fans.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Look, First Clan Encounter was always gonna be a clusterfuck for the players; the Clans are, in many ways, just plain better (and that's not even mentioning the <Redacted>).

Honestly, the Unwearied Second put up a vastly better showing than I had expected on turn 1. I honestly thought they'd be smoking craters by now, but instead even in a potentially-doomed effort they're still standing. Kudos to everyone involved, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

I question your choice of words.

"They're still conscious (after a short nap)" doesn't sound as :black101:

• Locked thread