Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Holy poo poo, sign my rear end up!

raverrn@gmail.com, voting Northwind Highlanders and a Griffin, because Griffins are second only to Centurions in old school classiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

A Grand Dragon?

Oh, man. That sucks.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Longinus00 posted:

Vehicles aren't in there but the gist of vehicles is that lots of their hit location roll results can do some form of critical damage to them. It's an artificial limitation put in to make sure the focus is on mech combat.

There's a fluff reason, if I could only remember it...

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

2. Why is anyone using mechs anyway? Did they forget guided missile technology too? Why not just put a HEAT warhead through the cockpit, using any one of a zillion delivery systems available today? It's not WWII anymore. (Of course in wargaming it is WWII forever. Just check out the tactics of any popular wargaming franchise. It's WWII.)

Supposedly warfare in the future was pretty much hard science - stealth was key, if you saw it you hit it with a railgun and it died. Enter magic space armor - some kind of compound that was very, very resistant to kinetic damage and the only way to punch through was lasers or rapid consecutive impacts. All of a sudden you had to be within slugging distance of the enemy. Combine that with the development of artificial muscle that is very efficient and the benefits of locomotion and you get walking robots fighting it out at 200m.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Artificer posted:

But what about autocannons or gauss rifles?

Autocannons fire in bursts and Gauss Rifles are supposed to fire a really heavy round slug. That's why they're no good over a kilometer or so, air friction kills it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Nothing to see here. Move along.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 31, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

B) Miller's Marauders

I love me some Marauders.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Xmas Future posted:

The WoB had existed since the early 3052s, had the secret backing of a great house, and conquered Terra in 3058. They'd been building up for war for at least 25 years when they started the Jihad. and they didn't start from scratch.

The only thing I didn't get is were they got all those loving nukes.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

They actually did away with that (very) recently and went to a different tiering system. Largely because of the late-era proliferation of new and weird toys. But to answer:
Level 1 was the stuff we've got now. More limited options meant fewer unusual rules and niche cases to remember. The fighting was slower, heat was more important and ranges were shorter.
Level 2 was the standard post-Clans stuff. A wide range of options, but fairly well balanced. Combat tended to be quicker and deadlier, but you had a lot of different things you could do and a pretty wide range of tools.
Level 3 was mostly 'this is poo poo in old sourcebooks we realized were bad ideas but we won't tell you to never use them'. It was wild and weird experimental things that almost never appeared in actual canon designs. Frequently unbalanced (both too strong and too weak), and lots of really narrow case optional rules. This is the range you start to find things like 10 ton mechs, mechanical jump boosters (read: mechs with springs on their feet) and laser heat sinks (which make you cooler by LASERS).

Wait, I thought laster heat sinks were just normal heat sinks. (See: Night Gyr)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Just posting to say that you're awesome, DI. Never stop.

Also I've got PMs, now.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Either way, only one of the Karnovs is carrying infantry so it's not a huge deal.

:tinfoil:

Oh, and so this isn't completely contentless, here's my favorite giant robot, the Canis.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 12, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

Zero points. When you consider that each point of BT-scale damage is 1d6 + 5 points of damage to a person, it makes a lot of sense.

Yes, that means a Gauss Rifle does 15d6 + 65 points of damage to a person.

I've played D&D characters that could take that.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

PTN, guys, sorry I haven't sent moves in. I just spent the better part of twelve hours in a metal tube, being propelled by explosions, 5000 meters off the ground, sandwhiched two offensive sterotypes, both of whihc smelled like herring. I will submit my moves after I talk to my therapist, one Jose Cuvero.

Explosions? Like a pulse jet? Because that would be pretty retro and rad.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Say what you will about the Hunchback IIC, in Mechcommander I those things were horrifying. I can still hear the *pop-pop-pop-pop* of those guns, still see the limbs flying off, my priceless CERPPCs turned to ash.

Longshot. :smith:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Option A

Because I really, really want to see Kai raised in that household. drat.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Voting A and SA

gently caress yeah, Jagermech.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Here's a link to the raw B-tech video I just made. Wasn't too hard, Compression and youtube coming soon.

Link.

Edit: Youtube link here.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 23, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Also, that game was much, much more fun when I was eight.

And we were playing two-player.

In that mode one player controls the legs and one controls the torso, quickly leading to fights about dodging and shooting. Aiming went out the windows as that bastard couldn't stand still for three seconds for you to lob a gauss rifle and he missed every single ammo puickup god damnit stop it's my game I decide what we do!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nicely done. Just wait until we get to the Mission 5 video and I ask you to take the PPC and immediately blow your own arm off.

Which reward did you want: votes, a game, or the brand new tank?

Nicely done. I know I didn't mention a second place, but this was close. The next time you vote for something, it counts triple. Alternatively, I could triple your vote for Power Rangers since that's a vote that's close enough that the extra votes will actually matter.

I think I'll take the sweet set of wheels. And pray I'm up against the Jagermech.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

It's got an AC/20? And armor? Are you suggesting the Battletech opening cutscene lied to me?

Come to think of it, they were in Mechcommander, too, with nowhere near that loadout.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

paragon1 posted:

So then what's a "Star"?

A Star is five points. A point is five infantry, one tank, aerospace fighter, or 'mech.

Stars are grouped in twos; binaries, or threes; trinaries.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

As far as the Rommel goes, there's probably very little I want to pull early. I'm assuming you guys will want to keep up zell as long as it's convenient, so that rules out LRM plinkage. Though there will be at least one bored 'mech left, I don't know if killing a tank will be below him.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

You're not getting what I'm aiming for. Think of the Wolfhound as a "bid" and then work out how you'd counter that as the Clan commander.

Kill it viciously for being so arrogant?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^^ It would, but the reprisal can only be launched at the offending unit (in this case, the fighter).

And yes, "Air Superiority" is relative. Omnifighters are nowhere near as effective as Omnimechs, so the Clan advantage is greatly reduced in the air. The Donegal Guards have more fighters, but just because you have superiority doesn't mean you have total control of the sky.

Also, y'know... Arrow IV missiles, pulse lasers, and targeting computers really make fighters cry.

With its amazing ability to hold about eight guys and not have any weaponry, the Clans were indeed terrified of it.

I don't think you understand. If you try to shoot it the bullets/missiles/lasers will just hit the spikes and...nothing! It's an unstopable killing machine!

Edit: On a more serious note, starting some fires might draw this out a bit, if PTN wants to handle that kind of bookkeeping.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 25, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Mastigophoran posted:

Well, it took most of the day to get this video done... (also it is two runs spliced together)

Behold the glory that can only be described as Ice Slide Bullet Ballet. I believe it covers pretty much all the gauntlets thrown down.

The youtube police may (quite rightly) remove the audio, which would be tragic.

Welp, dunno about you guys but I'm looking forwards to bonus content mission 4. :colbert:

Conclusions: Being able to move so fast the camera breaks is annoying, the Wolverine is a truly terrible 'Mech to play as, and the machine gun is possibly the worst weapon in the whole game for killing enemy 'Mechs (It is however perfect for figure skating). Also, I'm putting far too much effort into this.

This is amazing. Well done.

Edit: I like to think the clanner you play is just really, really bad at bidding.

"I bid my command star for this hazardous, pinpoint assault."

"Well I bid myself! In a Wolverene! With only a machinegun! With no neurohelmet!"

raverrn fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 25, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

If that's the lance's intent, to drag this out and go for the 20-turn victory, then anyone with an LRM rack needs to be hitting those woods around 1030 in an effort to start some fires.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

It's gonna be a variant Hunchback II. Faster with even less armor.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Any objections to the tank rolling up on that Nova and lighting it up?

I hate those motherfuckers.

I'd say he was going for that little lake, but with only half his armament he'll probably stay mobile.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

Wait till the Cyclops can join in. You hit the same place and it is gone.

I've got 20 shells and there's a 'mech within medium range. What's there to lose?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, I didn't expect the Clans to have this much technical superiority. Those mediums are packing as much firepower as a mid-range Inner Sphere assault mech. Seems like one of the clan's less obvious but still very important advantages is that their mechs are set up to do things well. Inner Sphere mechs from this time period seem to kinda suck at every role they're put in, except for the odd master design or Star League era mech.

I mean stuff like having a mech that is clearly based around a PPC have four medium lasers, two of which face backwards, and an SRM system as its other armament. It should be obvious that a large laser and LRM system would make a lot more sense. They're just poorly designed and configured.

I was going to start typing something about how the autocannon rules are completely insane when you compare them to how ballistic weapons actually behave, but I remembered I shouldn't apply any sort of real-world knowledge or logic to BattleTech.

The point, anyway, is that the Clan mechs seem to have been designed with a purpose in mind. The Inner Sphere may claim to be all about combined arms but most of their mechs seem to sacrifice competence in a clear battlefield role for mediocrity in a variety of situations. This is probably why designs that seem marginal on paper like the Hunchback or Rifleman are actually so popular, because they are actually set up to do something well. So the Clans seem to have an advantage that goes above and beyond the ability to stick 12 heavy lasers onto a 50 ton chassis -- they have the foresight to realize the benefits of sticking 12 heavy lasers and nothing else on that platform outweighs the potential downsides of a homogeneous armament. Inner Sphere techs would want to make sure that some of those lasers were mounted in the chest, and that a couple of them faced backward, and then decide to remove 8 lasers so they could add a couple AC/2s and an SRM system.

It also doesn't hurt that those particular lasers are really, really, really good.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Mukaikubo posted:

Rommel: Happily, you have no honor. Suggest you move to 1717 and unleash that AC/20 onto the Nova. 1717 because you still have line of sight against B2, and are still in your short range for the AC/20, but the rise to your west may make them move somewhere they'd rather not if they want to get a good shot on you. Alternately, you can evade and hope to not be noticed before you get a better shot on another mech in a few rounds. Your TH will not be good against the Nova. It is not likely to be very good against anyone coming, either, but it may be a little better.

I'm already on this. As I said in the PM, what kind of self-respecting sergeant lets his CO run off and get himself killed?

quote:

I'm the pilot of the Wolfhound.

What should I do?

Run every turn, don't shoot unless it shoots first.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Trast posted:

Define "truly unfair poo poo."

Redacted

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Hooray, I'm helping!

Also, I'm all for letting him surrender. Or, rather, be surrendered.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

The Thunderchild has only a few points of armor left in t's left leg, and if I recall correctly an AC/20 there would be enough to take out all the structure as well. Anyone who knows the aimed shots rule, would that be an easier target than the head?

Edit: Reading above, I'd still say the leg is your best option. It completely removes him as a threat.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 28, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Right, I'm going to let WarLocke deal with the Nova and lend my assistance to Angry_Ed behind.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

From a fluff standpoint these are pretty experienced mechwarriors, and would probably know how long a mechwarrior is likely to stay out while uninjured. I.E. not long.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Yeoman?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Man, I have no idea where anyone could find Far Country these days.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Wait, is that other clanner out of the fight?

loving right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Alchenar posted:

How many seconds is a turn? Is 20 turns really a long amount of time in the grand scheme of things? (Especially seeing as this is the Starport and therefore the most important real estate on the planet).

A turn is aproximately the length of time a PPC takes to recharge.

• Locked thread