Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
(Disclaimer: Most of this post is taken from the Tasker Website because I don't think I can intro it much better than they do)

Tasker is an application for Android which performs Tasks (sets of Actions) based on Contexts (application, time, date, location, event, gesture) in user-defined Profiles, or in clickable or timer home screen widgets.

This basically means that you can do simple nifty things like:

Send a Birthday sms automatically
Change your wallpaper every few minutes
Recover a stolen phone

Or more complex stuff like:

Setup a widget to take a photo and email it to a specific address

Overall the application is capable of some truly remarkable stuff and has 180 built in actions:

Alert: Flash, Notify LED/Sound/Vibrate, Cancel Notification, Popup Timed/WithTaskIcons/WithTaskNames, Torch, Vibrate, Vibrate Pattern
App: Calendar Insert, Go Home, Kill App, Load App, Open Map (/StreetView/Navigate)
Audio: Alarm/Call/DTMF/Media/Notification/Ringer/System Volume, Haptic Feedback Toggle, Microphone Mute, Notification Pulse, Notification/Ringer Vibrate, Silent Mode, Speakerphone, Sound Effects toggle
Dialog: 28 System Settings dialogs
Display: Auto-Brightness, Close System Dialogs, Keyguard, Keyguard Pattern, Display Brightness, Display Off Timeout, Display Rotation, Input Method Select, Set Wallpaper, Stay On, Soft Keyboard (show), Status Bar (expand/collapse)
Encrypt (not in market version): File/Directory Encrypt/Decrypt,Enter/Clear Passphrase
File: Browse Files, Directory Create/Delete/Move, File Copy/Delete/Move/Open, Write To File, Read Line, Read Paragraph, Zip/Unzip File
Media: Android Media Player Control, Music File/Dir, Play/Forward/Back/Stop, Photo/Series/TimeSeries, Record Audio, Record Audio Stop, Ringtone, Scan Card
Misc: (Broadcast) Action Intent, Component Intent, Get Location, GPS Set, Run (ASE) Script, Say, Say To File, Shut Up, Search For, Set Clipboard, Set Timezone
Network: Airplane Mode, Autosync, Bluetooth, Bluetooth ID, Compose Email, Browse URL, HTTP GET, HTTP POST, Mobile Data (on/off), USB Tether, WiFi (set/toggle), Wifi Disconnect/Reassociate/Reconnect, Wifi Sleep, Wifi Tether, Wimax (set/toggle)
Phone: Call, Call Log, Call Block/Divert/Revert, Compose MMS/SMS (Templated), Contacts, End Call, Radio, Send SMS, Send Data SMS, Silence Ringer, Take Call
Tasker: Change Icon Set, If, End If, Goto Action, Perform Task, Profile Toggle, Query Action, Set Widget Icon, Set Widget Label, Stop, Wait, Wait Until
Variables: Set/Clear/Inc/Dec/Query/Randomize/Split/Join/List
3rd Party: Android Notifier, Astrid, BeyondPod, JuiceDefender, NewsRob, SleepBot, SMS Backup+, TeslaLED, WidgetLocker

Pretty impressive and I thought it should have its own thread so everyone can share suggestions and info on this very useful app.

If I have missed anything please tell me and I can add it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tasker is one of those programs I run across every so often, a program that I feel I should use, and yet I have no idea what I'd actually DO with it.

knucklehead
Apr 29, 2004

concentrated and crosseyed a dangerous combination

ConfusedUs posted:

Tasker is one of those programs I run across every so often, a program that I feel I should use, and yet I have no idea what I'd actually DO with it.

Yes, this is exactly my problem as well. I don't want to send automatic SMS for birthdays. I get the idea, I guess I am just not creative enough to utilize it. Come on goons let me steal your ideas.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Do you think it would be possible to get Tasker to reliably launch the N1 Car Mode app when I put the phone in its cradle in my car? The N1 achieves this via dock connectors, but my Desire (like all other phones I guess) doesn't have them.

Is Tasker powerful enough to check whether the phone stays in an upright orientation for, say, 3 seconds every time it is plugged in? When I charge my phone overnight it gets placed on a desk.

The only other useful thing I can think of would be launching the Music app when I plug headphones in.

edit: okay, looks like it should be easy enough, there is a "standing up" state, but there is no "power connected" event (not state, I don't want car mode to launch every time I pick the phone up while it's plugged in at my desk)

edit2: looks like I should be able to make an Event through the "Variable Set" dialog, but I have no idea what sort of variable gets changed when the phone is plugged in. How this isn't a built in event is beyond me!

Kreez fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 22, 2011

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I manage my Desire's car dock connection with setting profiles by using the Charging: AC option (compared to charging usb), Tasker probably has something similar?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I charge my phone at home/work via AC though, so that won't work :(

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Yes but if you're charging it you can turn on the gps and use your location as a condition for an action also I think.

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye
I already found a use for it. I set it so that when my phone connects to a certain blue tooth device (the hands free blue tooth module in my car), it sets all the volumes to max.

You see, if I play a game or watch a video on the phone I turn the media volume down, and sometimes forget to turn it back up. In my car I play music to the blue tooth module, then from the module to my radio. If the volume is left down on the phone, music is hard to hear over the radio, so this would automatically turn it back up when it detects that it is connected to the blue tooth module, so I don't have to fumble with the phone.

I'll probably think of some other things too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RoboJiggolo posted:

I already found a use for it. I set it so that when my phone connects to a certain blue tooth device (the hands free blue tooth module in my car), it sets all the volumes to max.

You see, if I play a game or watch a video on the phone I turn the media volume down, and sometimes forget to turn it back up. In my car I play music to the blue tooth module, then from the module to my radio. If the volume is left down on the phone, music is hard to hear over the radio, so this would automatically turn it back up when it detects that it is connected to the blue tooth module, so I don't have to fumble with the phone.

I'll probably think of some other things too.

You can also set it so it turns the volume DOWN when you launch certain apps (like games). Then it'll turn back up when you end the game.

I have Tasker set so that when it's upright and plugged in it launches car mode (because it's in my car dock), and when it's plugged in and on it's side it turns into a desk clock (bedtime).

Also have it set so that when it's within 5 miles of work, it automatically goes to vibrate.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Medullah posted:

I have Tasker set so that when it's upright and plugged in it launches car mode (because it's in my car dock), and when it's plugged in and on it's side it turns into a desk clock (bedtime).
How do you prevent it from lauching car mode when you pick it up while it's plugged in? Just avoid holding it straight up?

Also, I found that my phone wouldn't lock until I uninstalled Tasker. It would go direct to home when I woke it up (or perhaps it was never going to sleep or something?)

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye

Medullah posted:

You can also set it so it turns the volume DOWN when you launch certain apps (like games). Then it'll turn back up when you end the game.

excellent idea, I'll look into that tonight

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kreez posted:

How do you prevent it from lauching car mode when you pick it up while it's plugged in? Just avoid holding it straight up?

Also, I found that my phone wouldn't lock until I uninstalled Tasker. It would go direct to home when I woke it up (or perhaps it was never going to sleep or something?)

Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the rear end when I'm laying in bed texting, just gotta be careful to not hold it up. You can modify it so that it must be in an upright position for X amount of seconds, but that starts to get a bit more complex. :)

OP linked to a couple articles, but I learned alot from the Tasker Wiki.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
I have primary modes based on time and day - Sleep, work and home.

Sleep - Everything quiet
Work - Everything on vibrate
Home - Everything up full

Headphones plugged in - Set Media and Notification and ringer volume to 3. In the car I turn the media volume up full, so it keeps it from deafening me when I use headphones and it keeps notifications from blasting my car speakers.

Headphones unplugged - Notifications and ringers back to previous volume (vibrate or full volume), media volume to 0

Also, if you have a rooted Evo, you can use the secret LED for notifications.

Missed call - Amber LED, overrides purple.
SMS/Google Voice - Purple LED unless Amber is already on.

These are both stopped when the screen is unlocked.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I'm using Tasker to load apps at boot (SMS Time Fix, 3G Watchdog, etc..) however Tasker itself doesn't start at boot, is it possible to have it autostart?

My other profiles are
-Media Volume = 0 if game is launched
-GPS, 3G, WI-Fi, Brightness down if battery <30%
-GPS On, Volume Up if Car Home is launched

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm having trouble finding out the if command for a tasker thingie.

I want to unlock the screen when my phone is 100% charged (basically so the whole screen wakes for a moment so I can tell from a distance its charged). I got the unlock to work when 100% charged, but I can't figure the variable to tell the phone that I don't want to unlock the screen if its already unlocked!

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

Medullah posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the rear end when I'm laying in bed texting, just gotta be careful to not hold it up. You can modify it so that it must be in an upright position for X amount of seconds, but that starts to get a bit more complex. :)

OP linked to a couple articles, but I learned alot from the Tasker Wiki.

I use a cassette tape adapter to play music over my car stereo, so I've got tasker set up to launch car home whenever both the "headphones" and the power are connected. For me, the only time that happens is when I'm in the car.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm having trouble finding out the if command for a tasker thingie.

I want to unlock the screen when my phone is 100% charged (basically so the whole screen wakes for a moment so I can tell from a distance its charged). I got the unlock to work when 100% charged, but I can't figure the variable to tell the phone that I don't want to unlock the screen if its already unlocked!

When you unlock the phone, have Tasker set a variable %UNLOCK to 1 and set %UNLOCK to 0 when the screen is off. Now put an IF on your charge task that will only unlock the phone if %UNLOCK is 0.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

900ftjesus posted:

Also, if you have a rooted Evo, you can use the secret LED for notifications.

Missed call - Amber LED, overrides purple.
SMS/Google Voice - Purple LED unless Amber is already on.

These are both stopped when the screen is unlocked.

Hold up, what now? I have a purple LED? How do I access this? When I do a test notify with the LED set to purple it just flashes green.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
I use Tasker to work around Samsung's lovely bugs that never get fixed because it's Samsung!

This is my Epic 4g and it's to fix the Time w/o signal bug. I have the delay set for 2 seconds. I just set this up today and as far as I can tell it works.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Hold up, what now? I have a purple LED? How do I access this? When I do a test notify with the LED set to purple it just flashes green.

That's the other LED, the Purple/Yellow one is on the opposite side of the earpiece. It's supposedly the WiMAX LED but is never used for some reason. Yes, there's a secret LED you've never seen before. This requires root, FYI.

Grab the free Locale Execute plugin from the Market.

Details for triggering them in different ways:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=816144

When you first test them, you will wait for like 10-20 seconds and the Superuser permissions will pop up, after that they work perfectly. I have mine clear them on unlock.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

That's the other LED, the Purple/Yellow one is on the opposite side of the earpiece. It's supposedly the WiMAX LED but is never used for some reason. Yes, there's a secret LED you've never seen before. This requires root, FYI.

Grab the free Locale Execute plugin from the Market.

Details for triggering them in different ways:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=816144

When you first test them, you will wait for like 10-20 seconds and the Superuser permissions will pop up, after that they work perfectly. I have mine clear them on unlock.
I knew about the wimax led, but I thought all it could do was red and green. I'll check out the guide after class tonight. Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm trying to set Tasker to automatically turn to vibrate when I'm at work. I have it set so that it successfully determines when I'm at work via location, but for some reason vibrate isn't working. I have it nice and simple:

But it doesn't actually set to vibrate. It's irritating me. It says the "Work" profile is active, but doesn't change the settings.

I'm using a stock Evo, if it makes any difference. Any ideas?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

I knew about the wimax led, but I thought all it could do was red and green. I'll check out the guide after class tonight. Thanks!

The left is amber and green, the right is purple (they say turquoise), red, and yellow. I like the yellow flash the most, it's the fade on/fade off style not just blinking.

The only way it does red is solid, so I don't use that one.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

The left is amber and green, the right is purple (they say turquoise), red, and yellow. I like the yellow flash the most, it's the fade on/fade off style not just blinking.

The only way it does red is solid, so I don't use that one.

Okay, that's totally not purple. Yeah, that's just a harder way of using Wimax Notifier. More flexible, I guess, but definitely more work.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Okay, that's totally not purple. Yeah, that's just a harder way of using Wimax Notifier. More flexible, I guess, but definitely more work.

Ok, turquoise. I just set up a task to blink the lights different colors, then I made a profile for a SMS notifications, missed calls, and Google Voice notifications that trigger the different tasks.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004
I'm thinking of using Tasker to control my wifi. My questions are, can Tasker do what I want it to? Is what I want to do a sensible thing?

I'm making the following assumptions here, if any of these are wrong, then I probably don't want to do this:
Wi-fi uses less battery than 3G (or whatever sort of data connection)
If I have wi-fi turned on when out of range of my wi-fi, it's still scanning for networks, which uses battery.

So, what I want to do then, is:
Turn off wi-fi when out of range of my network, and turn it back on when I'm in range (but if I want to use another wi-fi network when out of range, it won't keep turning my wi-fi back off).
When I'm not using any data, my wi-fi turns off, but if I do use any data (I've got background sync on), then it turns wi-fi on to download it (this may be impractical, and in terms of getting an email, it probably will have already downloaded before wi-fi can even be turned on).

Basically, turn wi-fi off when I'm not using it (or can't use it), but turn it back on when I need it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

Ok, turquoise. I just set up a task to blink the lights different colors, then I made a profile for a SMS notifications, missed calls, and Google Voice notifications that trigger the different tasks.
I may play with that a bit. Keep an eye on Wimax Notifier Redux. The original project has been abandoned, but this guy picked it up and is working from scratch (and working hard to get rid of all of the force close issues the original had). Most recent update was 2 days ago, so it's a very active project right now. Not yet as customizable as your tasker profiles, but give it some time. Oh, also doesn't require root.

Joans posted:

Basically, turn wi-fi off when I'm not using it (or can't use it), but turn it back on when I need it.
This is what I do, which works pretty well:

Context: Location
Select "Net", Deselect "GPS", hit Get Fix. It will tell you the accuracy of the fix (1000 meters in my case). I set my Radius to 2km (if I remember right, you want your radius to be larger than the accuracy when using Net).

Task: Home
WiFi - Set: On (WiFi is found under category "Net" when selecting an action)

Next, I add an exit task (if you're looking at the profiles list, you should be able to press on your "Home" task and select "Add Exit Task")

Task: Leave Home
WiFi - Set: Off

I also have a couple of other location contexts where I know there is wifi to join, and I just re-use the "Home" and "Leave Home" tasks for those.

Note: There is a third WiFi setting option, Toggle, which will turn wifi on if it's off and vice versa. I don't like this option as much, since I worry it could cause things to get a little confused. With my method, wifi always turns on when I'm home, and it always turns off when I leave. If I turned it on somewhere else and forgot to turn it off, it would simply stay on when I got home.

Finally, here is some additional information on location in Tasker:
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/loctears.html

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

wi-fi stuff

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004
Ok, I have another "Can Tasker do this?" question.

I use my phone as a clock at night (using Kaloer Clock), and as I have a habit of regularly flashing new roms, I like to use Titanium Backup before I do anything too dangerous. I tried scheduling a backup to run overnight, but when it had finished it returned to the launcher, not the clock.

Is there a way for me to say something like "when quitting Titanium Backup, launch Kaloer Clock (except only at night, because I might just be using Titanium Backup for something else)", or even, "launch Titanium Backup at this time, run this batch backup, then launch Kaloer Clock"

I see there's a Run Last App setting, but I'm not sure how to use it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Joans posted:

Ok, I have another "Can Tasker do this?" question.

I use my phone as a clock at night (using Kaloer Clock), and as I have a habit of regularly flashing new roms, I like to use Titanium Backup before I do anything too dangerous. I tried scheduling a backup to run overnight, but when it had finished it returned to the launcher, not the clock.

Is there a way for me to say something like "when quitting Titanium Backup, launch Kaloer Clock (except only at night, because I might just be using Titanium Backup for something else)", or even, "launch Titanium Backup at this time, run this batch backup, then launch Kaloer Clock"

I see there's a Run Last App setting, but I'm not sure how to use it.

I'm not sure how to go about launching the clock immediately after Titanium Backup finishes, but I would think you could just create a Time context to launch your Clock app at a specified time (after the backup begins). Heck, you could probably do it a minute after the backup begins, since I doubt Titanium Backup would steal focus if another app was launched over top of it.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

I'm not sure how to go about launching the clock immediately after Titanium Backup finishes, but I would think you could just create a Time context to launch your Clock app at a specified time (after the backup begins). Heck, you could probably do it a minute after the backup begins, since I doubt Titanium Backup would steal focus if another app was launched over top of it.

Ah, I think I've tried to overcomplicate things.

I just gave it a test run, and didn't exactly get what I expected.
I set up a task to open Kaloer Clock 1 minute after the backup started. I then opened the clock anyway, to recreate the situation it would normally be in.
When the backup was scheduled to start, it showed a countdown screen, then went straight back to the clock (so nothing to do with the scheduled task), but then it quit about half way through the backup. 5 minutes later, Tasker kicked in and opened the clock again (I didn't set a To time, so presumably the task was always active?).

I've scheduled a backup for the middle of the night, and set a task for an hour around it, so I'll see what happens overnight.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have an Epic and am wondering if I can set up nested or tiered or whatever rules in Tasker - like having a rule active only when a certain app is running. I'd really like to be able to have my phone sleep after 15 seconds and wake on proximity sensor, but only when running the dock app (or some better big clock app that works horizontally).

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've got two questions.

Is it possible to setup a profile so when I press the camera button twice it launches the flashlight app but when I long-press it launches the camera app? I don't see a way to make it listen for multiple button presses.

Second, I have a Desire Z and it doesn't seem to be picking up on events, when I was testing the above I created a profile with the camera button action and set it to stop all events to prevent the camera being launched but when I press the camera button the camera app is launched. Has anyone seen this occur?

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

This is what I do, which works pretty well:

Context: Location
Select "Net", Deselect "GPS", hit Get Fix. It will tell you the accuracy of the fix (1000 meters in my case). I set my Radius to 2km (if I remember right, you want your radius to be larger than the accuracy when using Net).

Task: Home
WiFi - Set: On (WiFi is found under category "Net" when selecting an action)

Next, I add an exit task (if you're looking at the profiles list, you should be able to press on your "Home" task and select "Add Exit Task")

Task: Leave Home
WiFi - Set: Off

I tried this out today, but whenever I get home and look at my phone, the wifi is off (this is good, because it obviously got turned off while I was out of range), but it doesn't seem to want to turn itself back on. How long does it normally take?
And can I test this without leaving the house as well? If I turn off my wifi, then presumably Tasker should see that I'm in range and turn it back on?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Joans posted:

I tried this out today, but whenever I get home and look at my phone, the wifi is off (this is good, because it obviously got turned off while I was out of range), but it doesn't seem to want to turn itself back on. How long does it normally take?
And can I test this without leaving the house as well? If I turn off my wifi, then presumably Tasker should see that I'm in range and turn it back on?

For me, wifi is on and connected when I get out of my car. What sort of range are you using for your location, and how accurate is the fix when you hit the "Get Fix" button?

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Joans posted:

I'm having the same exact issue. Fix was accurate to 51 meters and radius set to 1km.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

For me, wifi is on and connected when I get out of my car. What sort of range are you using for your location, and how accurate is the fix when you hit the "Get Fix" button?

Fix accuracy is 75 metres and I have the radius set to 200 metres.

Edit - If I zoom into the map, the flag is pretty close to my house and is easily covered by the circle.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Rye Bread posted:

I'm having the same exact issue. Fix was accurate to 51 meters and radius set to 1km.

I dunno... here's my config in pretty pictures:

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

Rye Bread posted:

I think I know what our problem is. Turn off the wi-fi, then press Get Fix, you'll find the accuracy is much less than 51m (and possibly less than 1km).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Joans posted:

I think I know what our problem is. Turn off the wi-fi, then press Get Fix, you'll find the accuracy is much less than 51m (and possibly less than 1km).

You're right, it was. However, it says the profile is active but it hasn't activated wifi yet.

• Locked thread