Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

hooah posted:

Sure. "From 22:00 to 7:00", it does the task "Quiet", which sets notification, ringer, and system volumes to 0.

Wouldn't it be better to set "silent mode" to on rather than specifying all the volumes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wikidd posted:

Wouldn't it be better to set "silent mode" to on rather than specifying all the volumes?

I changed it to that (not sure how I missed it before). Hope this works; had Circa give an annoying notification in the middle of the night last night!

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
Looked through the thread, but didn't really see a solution to the situation I'm about to post (or there was and my bleary eyes just zipped right past it).

I'm out of school for the summer, and I'm going to be spending the bulk of my time at my parents' place. Their ISP only gives them unlimited bandwidth between 6pm and 8am each day (all day on weekends, though!), so I'm trying to figure out how to get Tasker to turn my phone's Wi-Fi sensor on during that window, then turn it back off outside that window. Figuring out how to turn my phone's mobile data connection off/on in the meantime would be a plus as well. I'd also like my phone's Wi-Fi sensor to shut off and jump straight to mobile data on those occasions where I do end up leaving the house. Anyone here in a similar situation who can lend me a helping hand?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Knight of Arboria posted:

Looked through the thread, but didn't really see a solution to the situation I'm about to post (or there was and my bleary eyes just zipped right past it).

I'm out of school for the summer, and I'm going to be spending the bulk of my time at my parents' place. Their ISP only gives them unlimited bandwidth between 6pm and 8am each day (all day on weekends, though!), so I'm trying to figure out how to get Tasker to turn my phone's Wi-Fi sensor on during that window, then turn it back off outside that window. Figuring out how to turn my phone's mobile data connection off/on in the meantime would be a plus as well. I'd also like my phone's Wi-Fi sensor to shut off and jump straight to mobile data on those occasions where I do end up leaving the house. Anyone here in a similar situation who can lend me a helping hand?

What's the data cap during the day? Seems like unless its really low, I'd think its unlikely you're going to go over unless you're watching Netflix for 8 hours straight every day. Don't know your usage of course.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!

sirbeefalot posted:

What's the data cap during the day? Seems like unless its really low, I'd think its unlikely you're going to go over unless you're watching Netflix for 8 hours straight every day. Don't know your usage of course.

There's no daily limit per se, but their ISP gives them a cap of 20 GB a month. I definitely agree that we don't do anything to push our cap to its limits, but I do want to do every little bit that helps. :shobon:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Knight of Arboria posted:

First context: location (find your parents place)
Second context: time 8-18
Task: net > WiFi on (could combine or make separate task for net > mobile data)

Exit task WiFi off (I think)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a way I can use tasker to disable notification LED, or notifications entirely, for an application?

Basically I have a profile where when I'm on my office wifi, the phone is totally silent - however I'd love to be able to stop the light blinking for facebook messages since they come up on my computer anyway.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

Anjow posted:

Is there a way I can use tasker to disable notification LED, or notifications entirely, for an application?

Basically I have a profile where when I'm on my office wifi, the phone is totally silent - however I'd love to be able to stop the light blinking for facebook messages since they come up on my computer anyway.

Maybe you could do this with Secure Settings tasker plugin? I don't have it in front of me, but this may be an option.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I bought Tasker a few weeks ago and set it up so that when I'm plugged in for power or headphones or connected to my work or home wifi it doesn't ask for my pin. I probably set it up wrong but some times it really confuses itself, ie connected to my home wifi and doesn't remove the pin unlock because it's not plugged to power or headphone, etc.

I have 6 profiles currently setup, each set is basically the same. For instance, connected to home wifi turns off pin, I have an inverted profile that sets it when leaving said wifi. The other sets are similar for power and headphones.

What's the best way to make each one play nicely or even create an entirely new profile?

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

calandryll posted:

I bought Tasker a few weeks ago and set it up so that when I'm plugged in for power or headphones or connected to my work or home wifi it doesn't ask for my pin. I probably set it up wrong but some times it really confuses itself, ie connected to my home wifi and doesn't remove the pin unlock because it's not plugged to power or headphone, etc.

I have 6 profiles currently setup, each set is basically the same. For instance, connected to home wifi turns off pin, I have an inverted profile that sets it when leaving said wifi. The other sets are similar for power and headphones.

What's the best way to make each one play nicely or even create an entirely new profile?

You can have an "exit" task that is executed once the profile is no longer running.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I recently did a factory reset of my phone and so I am creating my Tasker stuff again. However for some reason I can't get any profiles to fire. They are turned on, Tasker is running and in the foreground. What else am I missing?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Mr. Bubbles posted:

You can have an "exit" task that is executed once the profile is no longer running.

Didn't know about that feature, looks to be working perfectly. Thanks.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I recently did a factory reset of my phone and so I am creating my Tasker stuff again. However for some reason I can't get any profiles to fire. They are turned on, Tasker is running and in the foreground. What else am I missing?

Is the tasker icon on the top left of the screen colored, or greyed out? Try holding down the icon for 2-3 seconds.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a profile that's supposed to trigger when my phone connects to either my car's phone bluetooth or the music one (the car only came with the ability to do phone over BT, so I added a module). The problem is that it doesn't ever trigger. It's currently set to go when it connects to the phone part of the car since I can only see how to have one BT trigger, but even if I switch it to the music receiver it won't trigger. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

I have a profile that's supposed to trigger when my phone connects to either my car's phone bluetooth or the music one (the car only came with the ability to do phone over BT, so I added a module). The problem is that it doesn't ever trigger. It's currently set to go when it connects to the phone part of the car since I can only see how to have one BT trigger, but even if I switch it to the music receiver it won't trigger. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Do you have it set up to trigger if connected to one or the other, or is it accidentally set up to trigger if connected to both?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you have it set up to trigger if connected to one or the other, or is it accidentally set up to trigger if connected to both?

It's set up to trigger when it connects to one only. I was trying to say that I've tried setting both receivers separately as the triggering device.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

It's set up to trigger when it connects to one only. I was trying to say that I've tried setting both receivers separately as the triggering device.

Does it turn green in the profile list when you're connected to one of them? Can you post a screenshot (or PM me a screenshot, or email me username at gmail if you don't want it public for some reason)? Seems weird that it wouldn't be triggering, as it's not a particularly difficult profile to set up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does it turn green in the profile list when you're connected to one of them? Can you post a screenshot (or PM me a screenshot, or email me username at gmail if you don't want it public for some reason)? Seems weird that it wouldn't be triggering, as it's not a particularly difficult profile to set up.

It doesn't turn green. I wasn't sure which part of the app you wanted a screenshot of, so I tapped on the profile in question while it was connected to both receivers (the phone, not Tasker):

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

It doesn't turn green. I wasn't sure which part of the app you wanted a screenshot of, so I tapped on the profile in question while it was connected to both receivers (the phone, not Tasker):

Mine just has the name of the bluetooth adapter without the comma and mac address. Try deleting everything after the name and see what happens.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Mine just has the name of the bluetooth adapter without the comma and mac address. Try deleting everything after the name and see what happens.

Yup, that worked. Weird. "Here's an optional setting, but if you put in the correct MAC address for the listed device, it'll break your profile."

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Now that that is fixed, I have a request of my own (which since this thread is dead, probably won't be answered). I have a bluetooth adapter in my car that plugs into the cig lighter, and it's the kind that is always being powered, even when the vehicle is off. Therefor, I created a profile that would disconnect my phone from the adapter 2 minutes after I connect to my home wifi. The problem this causes me is that, often, when I'm leaving home I'll start playing music, and as I'm leaving, I'll very briefly leave the range of my wifi, then very briefly connect again before getting out of range permanently. This causes my aforementioned profile to trigger and two minutes later, my phone disconnects from the adapter.

Is there some way that I can make it check to see if it's still connected to wifi at the end of the 2 minute wait, or any other ideas to stop this from happening?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Now that that is fixed, I have a request of my own (which since this thread is dead, probably won't be answered). I have a bluetooth adapter in my car that plugs into the cig lighter, and it's the kind that is always being powered, even when the vehicle is off. Therefor, I created a profile that would disconnect my phone from the adapter 2 minutes after I connect to my home wifi. The problem this causes me is that, often, when I'm leaving home I'll start playing music, and as I'm leaving, I'll very briefly leave the range of my wifi, then very briefly connect again before getting out of range permanently. This causes my aforementioned profile to trigger and two minutes later, my phone disconnects from the adapter.

Is there some way that I can make it check to see if it's still connected to wifi at the end of the 2 minute wait, or any other ideas to stop this from happening?

How close is your car to your house? You could just tell it to disconnect when it can't find the BT device anymore, if that's an ability Tasker has.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

How close is your car to your house? You could just tell it to disconnect when it can't find the BT device anymore, if that's an ability Tasker has.

Nope, it stays connected from most areas of my home. My living room is like 25 feet from my garage and my phone is usually there unless I'm sleeping.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Can Tasker do a WHILE loop or is that too complicated?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Midjack posted:

Can Tasker do a WHILE loop or is that too complicated?

I'm not sure about WHILE loop but I may have got it to work with [IF %WIFII ~ *CONNECTED*]

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013
I'm trying to get Tasker to read my text out loud to me while I'm at home (because I'm lazy), but it's actually reading the spelling of %SMSRB and %SMSRS, rather than real words. I've sent myself texts to test from numbers other than my own, but there was no effect--the profile didn't even trigger. Googled for someone experiencing something similar, but couldn't find anything. Any ideas?

Right now, the profile is just Received text, any and the task is just Say: %SMSRS said: %SMSRB. I feel like this should be really easy.

Edit: It appears that the Received Text profile isn't even being triggered. I'm running unrooted, stock 4.4.2. I'm using Textra for my SMS/MMS.

the last s0n fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 19, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just purchased a Nexus 7 for use in my car for Navigation and media. I will be tethering it from my Moto X for data and am hoping to find a tasker workflow to prevent apps from seeing a Wifi connection and proceeding to download tons of things as it sees fit. Most notably app updates, music I've pinned to d/l that haven't completed yet, and podcasts or any other rogue things. Is there a way to detect that it's connected to the Moto X (this part seems easy) and then say to treat the internet connection as a mobile? Or if that fails to disable automatic app updates/music downloads?

Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a profile that turns on silent mode from 10 PM to 7:30 AM. It mostly works, but Circa (a news app) seems to ignore the silent mode if it has a breaking news notification. Why would that happen? Every other notification seems to behave.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

hooah posted:

I have a profile that turns on silent mode from 10 PM to 7:30 AM. It mostly works, but Circa (a news app) seems to ignore the silent mode if it has a breaking news notification. Why would that happen? Every other notification seems to behave.

If your phone is on actual silent mode during the task, then it's (probably) something inside the Circa app itself that is ignoring silent mode.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ScarletBrother posted:

If your phone is on actual silent mode during the task, then it's (probably) something inside the Circa app itself that is ignoring silent mode.

That could be. I did go into Circa and set the notifications to be silent.

While I'm here, my task that disables my PIN lock is unreliable. It's supposed to run when I'm at home (geographically) and when I connect to my car's bluetooth. Before Vykk.Draygo helped me re-tool my car profile, the home one always worked. Now it's kind of a crapshoot whether it will or not, but the car one always works fine, despite using the exact same task. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

That could be. I did go into Circa and set the notifications to be silent.

While I'm here, my task that disables my PIN lock is unreliable. It's supposed to run when I'm at home (geographically) and when I connect to my car's bluetooth. Before Vykk.Draygo helped me re-tool my car profile, the home one always worked. Now it's kind of a crapshoot whether it will or not, but the car one always works fine, despite using the exact same task. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Just a theory, but perhaps tasker is finding your home location before disconnecting from Bluetooth, so the home profile never triggers for some reason.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just a theory, but perhaps tasker is finding your home location before disconnecting from Bluetooth, so the home profile never triggers for some reason.

Oooh, that's a good theory. Any idea on how to fix it?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

Oooh, that's a good theory. Any idea on how to fix it?

Try adding "not connected to [bluetooth device]" to the home profile so that it doesn't trigger until you disconnect.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So I'm trying to make one Wifi SSID have precedence over the other. Like if both FOO and BAR are available, I'd like it to connect to BAR. I downloaded WiFi Connect for Tasker, then did the following:

Wifi Near BAR
Not Wifi Connected BAR
Task
Wifi Net: disconnect
Wifi Connect : BAR

However, through all that it doesn't work.
Right now it's lit up saying the profile is active, but it won't actually run the task. If I go into the task and manually hit the play button it works fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Now it's back to working whenever it feels like, both for home and in the car. I haven't changed any settings since I posted this originally. The only "change" that might be affecting things is temporarily disabling XPosed/GravityBox, but they're both back on and the profiles used to work fine with these utilities running. Any idea what might be messing up?

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
Could anyone help identify the issue in my regex usage?

The red in the if statements indicate that both if statements are false, but it seems that one should be true.

Thanks

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mr. Bubbles posted:

Could anyone help identify the issue in my regex usage?

The red in the if statements indicate that both if statements are false, but it seems that one should be true.

Thanks

If you're using regular expressions "*magic*" is not a valid pattern. The "*" in regex means 'Match 0 or more of the preceding expression, and "." is a wildcard for any character.

So in statement 5, if you want to keep using Regular Expressions you probably want to match on ".*magic.*" instead.

Or switch back to Tasker's Simple Matching, where "*magic*" will do what it looks like you want it to do.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

maltesh posted:

If you're using regular expressions "*magic*" is not a valid pattern. The "*" in regex means 'Match 0 or more of the preceding expression, and "." is a wildcard for any character.

So in statement 5, if you want to keep using Regular Expressions you probably want to match on ".*magic.*" instead.

Or switch back to Tasker's Simple Matching, where "*magic*" will do what it looks like you want it to do.

Simple matching uses "matches" rather than "regex" matches? That still yields a false if statement with the pattern above, "*magic*". I also tried ".*magic.*" as you suggested, but it is still false. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
All-lowercase variables are local, and only exist while the task is being run. So when you're not running that task, %text has no value stored in it, and this the if statements show false.

and when you are running that task, it's not doing anything that will show you what value %text had while it's running, and %text gets cleared after execution.

All-caps variables are global and retain their values after task execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

maltesh posted:

All-lowercase variables are local, and only exist while the task is being run. So when you're not running that task, %text has no value stored in it, and this the if statements show false.

and when you are running that task, it's not doing anything that will show you what value %text had while it's running, and %text gets cleared after execution.

All-caps variables are global and retain their values after task execution.

You are very correct :) Tasker noob mistake. Thanks for the help!

• Locked thread