Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Getting a miter cut right is like plugging in a USB connector the right way up - it's always the third side you try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't have a stand for my miter saw. I crouch over the saw on the floor like a sawdust covered Gollum. Then after fiddling with it for a bit, I realize that I should actually just be using a circular saw for this type of cut anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The HF $60 one is decent and better than using the floor.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know if it's feasible to charge a Makita compatible battery manually with a lipo charger or bench power supply?

I'm not planning on using the tools often enough to justify the OEM batteries and chargers, and the fewer rarely-used crap I have around the better.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Elysium posted:

This is my process:

Take way too long absolutely truing up your Miter Saw so it cuts exactly 45 degrees and vertical
Make a new zero clearance fence so you have an completely flat surface and supported cuts for no tearout
Measure 3 or 4 times
Bring wood over to the saw and then realize you need to measure on the other side because your cut needs to be opposite
Bring wood back and measure 3 or 4 times on the other side
Bring wood back to the saw and then cut just slightly large so you can creep up on the proper fit
Realize that you STILL cut the opposite miter that you were trying to cut

Then you turn your 90 degree corner in to a 45 degree corner and pretend it's a feature you were going for.

Step 9: fit it anyway and fill the gap with wood putty.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have a curse in DIY in that I'm a perfectionist who wants to do everything right and isn't satisfied unless everything is perfectly measured and fit correctly.

The next part of the curse is that I also have little talent for it, so it just takes me forever and I scrap a lot of materials in the process.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know if it's feasible to charge a Makita compatible battery manually with a lipo charger or bench power supply?

I'm not planning on using the tools often enough to justify the OEM batteries and chargers, and the fewer rarely-used crap I have around the better.

Using the tools twice a year is adequate to keep charge, LiPo batteries hold their charge really well.

If you’re buying into a tool system, you might as well buy the starter pack with the drill, impact, circular and sawzall. Even Makita’s is under 300$ and includes two batteries and a charger.

That being said, I have an older Makita 18v charger unit you can have for free if you want to pay shipping... pm me if you’re interested. I just bought the chainsaw with the two free battery pack deal so I’ve got too many chargers now.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Would greatly appreciate help / hints / tips in choosing between the following because I've spent 3 days looking at youtube videos and old bladeforums postings and still not able to make a decision.

Choice comes down to either the Leatherman Charge+ TTI or the Victorinox Spirit XC

XC is the one with the single wavy/serrated blade only, no regular blade.
XC has integrated drivers in various other tools
XC has 'better' fit and finish
XC has 'better' tool quality overall (YMMV?)
XC has 'better' pliers?

Charge+ TTI has two blades, one serrated with gut hook and one 'regular' blade
Charge+ TTI has removable bits for the drivers
Charge+ TTI has better blade steel
Charge+ TTI has removeable wire cutters in the plier head

This sound about right? Any tips either way would be greatly appreciated.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had a charge xti, a previous version, for something like 15 years and it’s been good to me. The bit holder was really handy for me so that’s one difference — might not matter for you, but having the hex bits was handy pretty often. The little eyeglass size bit is great too.

I can’t believe how expensive they are now — I swear mine was $56 or something. I guess that was a decade ago though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Using the tools twice a year is adequate to keep charge, LiPo batteries hold their charge really well.

If you’re buying into a tool system, you might as well buy the starter pack with the drill, impact, circular and sawzall. Even Makita’s is under 300$ and includes two batteries and a charger.

That being said, I have an older Makita 18v charger unit you can have for free if you want to pay shipping... pm me if you’re interested. I just bought the chainsaw with the two free battery pack deal so I’ve got too many chargers now.
The starter pack wouldn't be a bad deal but I'd pretty much only ever use the impact driver and maybe the drill so I'd probably just get what I actually need for now.

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Europe so it's almost certainly not worth shipping it over. I did find some evidence that the batteries can be charged (with a bit of effort) with a hobby lipo charger so that's good to know.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

I’ve had a charge xti, a previous version, for something like 15 years and it’s been good to me. The bit holder was really handy for me so that’s one difference — might not matter for you, but having the hex bits was handy pretty often. The little eyeglass size bit is great too.

I can’t believe how expensive they are now — I swear mine was $56 or something. I guess that was a decade ago though.

Thanks for the info on the bit holder - how do you reckon the other tools 'feel'? One complaint I saw (very seldomly, granted) on a couple of places was that in comparison, the scissors / miscellaneous other tools did not feel as robust as say, swisstools.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not having used the Swiss tools I can’t offer much for comparison, and the decade of use has smoothed things out a bit. Mine also just has two bit holders instead of scissors. I always thought the scissors on my original wave from 1998 were pretty nice, but not sure how that relates to the new ones. I certainly haven’t had any durability issues so far, other than wearing out sheaths.

Edit: I will say looking at their current range I’d probably replace it with the wave+ or charge+ if I lost it. Unless I’m missing something the titanium scales don’t do much and it’s heavier than the other two. I like the size of the wave better, but at the time I bought it the Charge was the only thing with locking tools.

powderific fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 30, 2020

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I just bought the chainsaw with the two free battery pack deal so I’ve got too many chargers now.

How's it working out for you? I've decided I need to make the jump to Makita's battery ecosystem and I'm looking for excuses to buy a new tool.

I picked up a bargain basement 14" corded electric chainsaw second hand a few years ago (YardWorks or whatever Canadian Tire's house brand is called). It cuts amazingly well as long as the chain is sharp and allows a lot more finesse than either the 21" gas saw or bow saw in some situations. Not having to string 200' of 12 gauge across the yard would be nice.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hexigrammus posted:

How's it working out for you? I've decided I need to make the jump to Makita's battery ecosystem and I'm looking for excuses to buy a new tool.

I picked up a bargain basement 14" corded electric chainsaw second hand a few years ago (YardWorks or whatever Canadian Tire's house brand is called). It cuts amazingly well as long as the chain is sharp and allows a lot more finesse than either the 21" gas saw or bow saw in some situations. Not having to string 200' of 12 gauge across the yard would be nice.

So far, great! Cuts a lot better than the old homelite, brake works great, and I had no issues dicing up a 5’ stump on a single charge. No ritual mixing the fuel and fighting to rev the drat thing up anymore either, couldn’t be happier for the 2-3x a year I need one.

Once again battery tools blow my mind. The five year old starter pack with 3 Amp Hour batteries is still going strong too. I’m just a home gamer, but I have zero complaints on any of the Makita tools, they’ve always exceeded my expectations.

Except for the stupid flashlight they use to pad the number of tools in the starter kit. Seriously, wtf. Even in 2015 that thing was a weak POS. A proper battery powered flood light can’t be that much more expensive and would really stand out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hoping for a quick-ish reply, so double posting here and in the other tools thread.

Is the Drill doctor still pretty much the gold standard for consumer grade drill bit sharpeners?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I wanted to chime in on the eternal "which ecosystem" of rechargable tools question: one tiebreaker you could consider is what tools other people in your social circle may have. I was eyeing Milwaukee stuff for a long time, but then the day before father's day I realized: my older sister who lives nearby is on DeWalt 20v. My dad who lives nearby is on DeWalt 20v. If I buy DeWalt 20v then I can borrow tools and batteries if they have something I don't. We'd be able to keep each other stuff charged if we were all working together, for example.

I ended up buying this Dewalt 7-tool set on sale from Lowe's for 399. I know the grinder doesn't have a ton of uses, but I am a hobby metalworker and occasionally cutting some hardened steel is a real use case for me. Plus if I need to cut mild I can use the sawzall.

A lot of goons don't get along with their families though so this advice might be useful to avoid lol

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

I wanted to chime in on the eternal "which ecosystem" of rechargable tools question: one tiebreaker you could consider is what tools other people in your social circle may have.

This is exactly how I ended up on DeWalt 18v back in the day: two of my contractor buddies who always have drat near every tool were on it, so I got the sawzall/drill/mini circ saw pack and as the inventory has grown and been replaced with 20v I'm so locked into this ecosystem it's frustrating. But eh stuff works, and bare tools, especially refurbs, are getting real drat cheap on eBay.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What's everyone's favorite budget-ish solution for storing hardware? Screws and nuts and bolts and random electrical boxes etc. I don't really like the idea of drawers because things get lost in them, but they would keep the dust out better than something like these guys.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AADDCF6?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's everyone's favorite budget-ish solution for storing hardware? Screws and nuts and bolts and random electrical boxes etc. I don't really like the idea of drawers because things get lost in them, but they would keep the dust out better than something like these guys.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AADDCF6?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Depends. My sorted hardware is in acrobins like what you list (and a fancy desktop holder thing I got for free somewhere):

And my smaller stuff are in stanley organizers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QWYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QWYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I still have regrets about a local hardware store near me going out of business and selling their ENTIRE hardware aisles, storage system/drawers and all, for like $3000 a while back and not pulling the trigger.

Not that I had the space in my old house ,nor would have had the space during the interim between houses and living in rentals and a storage unit, nor have the space now.

But can you just IMAGINE?!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Unless it's a huge box of screws or nails, my solution is to throw them out because I don't need to store random screws that are worth $0.03 each that I might use one time 10 years from now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I still have regrets about a local hardware store near me going out of business and selling their ENTIRE hardware aisles, storage system/drawers and all, for like $3000 a while back and not pulling the trigger.

Not that I had the space in my old house ,nor would have had the space during the interim between houses and living in rentals and a storage unit, nor have the space now.

But can you just IMAGINE?!
I had two of these, each filled to overflowing with screws, bolts, nuts, and assorted fiddly bits that came out of an estate sale for a hundred bucks. It was a pretty great resource, but when it came time to move house, the thought of trying to move them a second time was too much. Sold them for a hundred bucks. Circle of life.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

FogHelmut posted:

Unless it's a huge box of screws or nails, my solution is to throw them out because I don't need to store random screws that are worth $0.03 each that I might use one time 10 years from now.

Sir, I believe you may be in the wrong thread.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I screamed a little bit reading this.

I recently finally got around to getting a few of those Stanley organizers Motronic posted and it's been great. I don't tend to buy a ton of extra hardware but those odds and ends come in surprisingly often.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the racks of misc machine screws and fasteners at my mom's place. It's all aviation surplus from the 80's (dad was an engineer and couldn't pass up cheap hardware) so it's not super useful for home improvement projects. But still! Who knows when I might need a 4-40 x 4" screw for something?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

stealie72 posted:

No worries, he will run to hardware store to find the right thread(s) for like $.03 :downs:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

JEEVES420 posted:

No worries, he will run to hardware store to find the right thread(s) for like $.03 :downs:
Except its 6:01 on sunday, so the hardware store is closed.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I got some of these recently to replace the old stuff I'd been gifted that was literally falling apart at the seams.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-28-Drawer-Small-Parts-Organizer-222169/205053254

It's obviously not got the carrying capacity of Motronic's setup but I also use way less stuff like that. So I think the answer partly depends on the quantity you need to store.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

There’s wisdom in this mindset.

Just a few weeks ago I was sorting my screws and bolts and poo poo to get rid of one of those rotating parts bins that just accumulate junk, and about the point that I started differentiating pan head from countersunk head screws I realized that the whole endeavor is probably a massive waste of my time. Probably better to chuck everything that doesn’t have a specific size into the bin of eternal hope and say gently caress it. I’m pissed at the amount of space wasted storing poo poo like the big box of specialty housewrap nails from a project six years ago that I have no loving clue if I’ll ever need again. Another attempt at sorting this crap saw me spend over a hundred bucks on Milwaukee Pack-Out bins that I don’t need and honestly function about as well as the cardboard bins some of these bulk screws came in. I want to save them, but maybe a nails - bolts - screws bulk bin is the answer

I was gifted a set of these, and I’ll second that I really like them! Big enough to store random poo poo like kitchen drawer handles, compact enough to sort a buncha stuff. Very good design.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

There’s wisdom in this mindset.

Just a few weeks ago I was sorting my screws and bolts and poo poo to get rid of one of those rotating parts bins that just accumulate junk, and about the point that I started differentiating pan head from countersunk head screws I realized that the whole endeavor is probably a massive waste of my time. Probably better to chuck everything that doesn’t have a specific size into the bin of eternal hope and say gently caress it. I’m pissed at the amount of space wasted storing poo poo like the big box of specialty housewrap nails from a project six years ago that I have no loving clue if I’ll ever need again. Another attempt at sorting this crap saw me spend over a hundred bucks on Milwaukee Pack-Out bins that I don’t need and honestly function about as well as the cardboard bins some of these bulk screws came in. I want to save them, but maybe a nails - bolts - screws bulk bin is the answer

I agree. I posted my very structured bins of stuff. These are things that I use regularly and re-stock. If I happen to start using something else regularly I will add a bin and stock it.

My limit with "misc used or found hardware" is a couple of coffee cans full of it, not particularly sorted but sometimes you can fish something out of there.

I can't imagine just how little I would have to value my time to sort random poo poo like that, acquire storage to put it in on the off chance I'll use it, and how little I'd have to value my limited storage space.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I'm a random screw tosser... I'll keep poo poo in a spot while im working on whatever project then I dunno I put them in the trash.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

I agree. I posted my very structured bins of stuff. These are things that I use regularly and re-stock. If I happen to start using something else regularly I will add a bin and stock it.

My limit with "misc used or found hardware" is a couple of coffee cans full of it, not particularly sorted but sometimes you can fish something out of there.

I can't imagine just how little I would have to value my time to sort random poo poo like that, acquire storage to put it in on the off chance I'll use it, and how little I'd have to value my limited storage space.

Yeah, the realization is hitting me now that I’m older and in a place where I don’t have to be so thrifty with everything. The one random screw that saves your butt on project keeps me saving at least new stuff, but I’m in a purge mindset. I’m officially at the point where I have too much crap and it’s impeding my ability to be effective at all the stuff I want to do.

I still have trouble parting with one off specialty tools though. Maybe the answer is just say gently caress It and buy that 46” Masterforce tool chest combo and finally have deep drawers to store all the things.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

When I did keep them around, it's been rare that I've needed a random screw that I've had. There's so many combinations lengths, widths, etc that you would need to keep an entire hardware store on hand. I do have a few common ones, but I'd rather have more space for clamps and exotic glues than spend my time managing inventory when the store is 10 minutes away.

I also don't want to end up like the previous owner, who had completed every project in this house with various combinations of flatheads, Philips heads, square nuts, round and hex head bolts, all of varying sizes and adapted to places where they don't belong.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

FogHelmut posted:

I also don't want to end up like the previous owner, who had completed every project in this house with various combinations of flatheads, Philips heads, square nuts, round and hex head bolts, all of varying sizes and adapted to places where they don't belong.

Is your previous owner my previous owner? I took down a curtain rod when I moved in held up by three mismatched screws and a roofing nail. Everything else they put up is held up by a random collection of usually stripped mismatched fasteners. Buying a full set of Wera lasertip screwdrivers was downright necessary when I moved in.

I had to rehang enough stuff that was falling apart by its own weight when I moved in I just bought a whole bunch of screws in various lengths and have been using those ever since, I should probably actually organize the bucket of random fasteners where I've been throwing spares from kits and stuff though. Possibly organize it into the trash.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

fralbjabar posted:

I should probably actually organize the bucket of random fasteners where I've been throwing spares from kits and stuff though. Possibly organize it into the trash.

Only place for 'em. Even I chuck the included hardware and I'm terrible for keeping trash.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone have a battery powered lawn mower? I currently have a 40-volt Black & Decker and it is not cutting it anymore. It bogs down and cuts out if you go a day over on the grass, it can't handle the thicker sections of grass, does not mulch despite being touted as a mulching mower, and the batteries die very quickly when it's hot out.

Previously I had a plug-in Kobalt, and it was great except for the cord.

Right now I'm debating the 80-volt Kobalt brushless versus a gas powered mower. I don't really want to deal with a gasoline engine, and I have no concern about battery runtime as my yard is a very small southern California yard (takes about 10 minutes to cut). However I do wish to have the power and mulching ability.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

fralbjabar posted:

Is your previous owner my previous owner?

Have you people not figured it out yet? There is only one previous owner, and he has owned all our houses. What, you thought there were multiple people that lovely at home repair??

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone have a battery powered lawn mower? I currently have a 40-volt Black & Decker and it is not cutting it anymore. It bogs down and cuts out if you go a day over on the grass, it can't handle the thicker sections of grass, does not mulch despite being touted as a mulching mower, and the batteries die very quickly when it's hot out.

Right now I'm debating the 80-volt Kobalt brushless versus a gas powered mower. I don't really want to deal with a gasoline engine, and I have no concern about battery runtime as my yard is a very small southern California yard (takes about 10 minutes to cut). However I do wish to have the power and mulching ability.

I've had a 36v/hybrid Ryobi for a few years now and never had an issue. If it's tall grass I cut at 5 then 3, but that's the same with every mower I've ever owned.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone have a battery powered lawn mower?...

I’ve been using the 40-volt Ryobi for more than a year now with no major problems. It will bog down in particularly thick or wet grass, but it’s hardly an inconvenience to just go slow in those cases. Mulches actually p well. I got a second 5ah battery when I got it and can get thru my 3/4 acre yard no problem.
And holy hell I’m so glad to be rid of a gas mower there no way I’m ever going back.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Slugworth posted:

Have you people not figured it out yet? There is only one previous owner, and he has owned all our houses. What, you thought there were multiple people that lovely at home repair??

Have you ever stopped what you were doing and thought am I the PO?

I have and it makes me laugh but I go out of my way to hide Easter eggs in the walls. My dad used to take pictures of the before and after of his work and put the photos in the walls/ counters/floors. I just take it a step further with fake confessions of buried treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

FogHelmut posted:

I had a greenworks 80v mower before we moved and it worked pretty well. Came with 2 batteries and a fan cooled charger so you could charge one battery faster than the second one would get used up. I think the charge time was something like 20-30 minutes, then you could swap out the batteries, though our yard was not big enough to need to do back to back batteries normally.

I didn't have too many bogging down problems with it. I was pretty lazy about cutting the grass so sometimes it would be a week or two too long and it would still cut it. The ejection chute would clog up with long/wet grass though but I think most mowers would probably have that problem. I did wish the ejection port was a little bigger to avoid that though. I found that I would get about 30-40 minutes of run time on a battery. It also has an audiomatic "turbo" mode so if you are cutting short/sparse grass it runs at a lower power mode, then when it hits tall grass or starts to bog down it kicks up the speed/power.

They also have a chainsaw that uses the same 80v battery as well as a few other tools. The saw is pretty well reviewed. If you look it up on youtube it seems like the go-to choice for a reasonable number of off grid people with solar setups that don't want to have to rely on gas engined things.