Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Someone out there has a vacuum they picked from the curb after that guy in the aug thread sucked his taint boil out with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A free shopvac is a free shopvac

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Rutibex posted:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Rutibex posted:

I disagree, my dad gave me one of his shopvacs for free and after using it once I returned it and bought one. It had no suction, the parts were mixed and matched and didn't fit together all that well and it was just a pain.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
Was browsing through my local craigslist and found something strange. This HAS to be stolen goods someone's trying to get rid of, right? https://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/tls/d/wiggins-2021-snap-on-tool-box/7310433828.html

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

regular mike posted:

Was browsing through my local craigslist and found something strange. This HAS to be stolen goods someone's trying to get rid of, right? https://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/tls/d/wiggins-2021-snap-on-tool-box/7310433828.html

Stealing something like that must be challenging. My guess is grandpa died and he is trying to get rid of it before the will is read.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

regular mike posted:

There's a loan on the box. The dealer will track you down and take it back. I see it all the time.

Snap on makes a fuckton of money on financing tools. The truck shows up, you get your tools and a payment plan.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

There's a loan on the box. The dealer will track you down and take it back. I see it all the time.

Snap on makes a fuckton of money on financing tools. The truck shows up, you get your tools and a payment plan.

lol at getting a mortgage for a box you cant even live in

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for the answers. I was probably going to leave it alone anyway because I'm lazy but now I know that my laziness is actually a form of good judgment.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
How the gently caress does the Snap on guy track down a cash transaction for a tool box? Is there an FBI surveillance team hiding in the van behind a false front of wrenches?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Elysium posted:

How the gently caress does the Snap on guy track down a cash transaction for a tool box? Is there an FBI surveillance team hiding in the van behind a false front of wrenches?

They probably have LoJack on those boxes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rutibex posted:

lol at getting a mortgage for a box you cant even live in

You get a box (a shop) in which to make a living with that box and then you have a box to live in.

"First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain
because you fell behind your payments"

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SpartanIvy posted:

Get one with wheels. It's a game changer.

This is the one I have and I think I got it on sale for $100.

RIDGID Universal Mobile Miter Saw Stand with Mounting Braces
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Universal-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161
SKU# 206992161

I went ahead and ordered one of these

now I just need the saw

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have strong opinions on jobsite radios? I need something bluetooth that also has AM/FM radio ideally. All my cordless stuff is dewalt, so I guess I'd rather stick with deWalt, but I could live with a corded one if I had to. If there's a non-jobsite radio bluetooth speaker that fits the bill that would be fine too-this is mostly going to just live in my hot, dusty shop and it doesn't really have to travel.

Anyone have experience with these as far as sound quality etc? The ability to charge a battery would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's $100 worth of nice, unless that one also has markedly better sound or something.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Bluetooth-Radio-with-built-in-Charger-DCR025/207135607
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Compact-Bluetooth-Radio-Tool-Only-DCR028B/310785935

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on jobsite radios? I need something bluetooth that also has AM/FM radio ideally. All my cordless stuff is dewalt, so I guess I'd rather stick with deWalt, but I could live with a corded one if I had to. If there's a non-jobsite radio bluetooth speaker that fits the bill that would be fine too-this is mostly going to just live in my hot, dusty shop and it doesn't really have to travel.

Anyone have experience with these as far as sound quality etc? The ability to charge a battery would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's $100 worth of nice, unless that one also has markedly better sound or something.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Bluetooth-Radio-with-built-in-Charger-DCR025/207135607
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Compact-Bluetooth-Radio-Tool-Only-DCR028B/310785935

Haven't used either of those but on the Milwaukee equivalent having an extra battery strapped to the back of the radio charging has been a lifesaver on a couple different occasions. I paid about 200 for mine on sale and id do it again in a heartbeat. bluetooth range numbers are absolute horseshit no matter the brand in my experience, I leave my phone charging in the little storage compartment on mine 9 times out of ten, if you are doing site work that might be out of the question though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone recommend a good paint sprayer that has interchangeable nozzles for painting with thin-thick paint/finishes that runs off a compressor, is decent and won't break the bank?

Mostly furniture work, so gloopy cabinet paint will definitely be on the table.

Thanks

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Blistex posted:

Anyone recommend a good paint sprayer that has interchangeable nozzles for painting with thin-thick paint/finishes that runs off a compressor, is decent and won't break the bank?

Mostly furniture work, so gloopy cabinet paint will definitely be on the table.

Thanks
Is your cabinet paint solvent/lacquer based? IME most pneumatic spray guns don't work all that well for spraying thick heavy house paint kind of paint, but they do well with clear or tinted lacquers (which dry much faster, but need some special precautions because the solvents are quite flammable). Even with the biggest tip in my pneumatic HVLP gun it struggles a bit with really thick lacquers, but it leaves a very nice finish. What's your budget?

If you're spraying thick paint, I think an airless sprayer is what you want. Graco makes some small, hand-held ones that someone recommended me a few pages back.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3384038&pagenumber=322&perpage=40#post513491249

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ordered a brushless DeWalt cordless orbital sander and oscillating tool with two batteries on a sale recently, and wowzers, that orbital sander feels much more powerful than my cheap, $40 corded sander it's replacing. I used it to round off the edges on a gravel sifting frame I built out of splintery scrap (because lol at buying lumber right now)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Big fan of this tool for picking up a bucketload of safety glass shards.

Works pretty good for dust and general shop crap too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
So I'm buying a house this month and will likely need a few things but definitely a ladder for general house stuff. It's there like, a defacto standard ladder to look for? Not sure if a folding composite ladder or an aluminum extension would be best. The house is a relatively low angle single story house with a pretty flat roof, the ceilings are vaulted 12 feet at the highest point.

I feel like folding A type ladders are annoying and require a poo poo ton of space but they're self standing.

I saw one of the little giant ladders at Costco but with so many pivot points and sections I'm not sure how sturdy they are.

I'll also finally need to upgrade from my little 2 gallon shop vac to a real one. Thankfully the biggest lifestyle change will be having a real garage. Air compressor, tool bench. God it's going to be so nice.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Those little giant ladders are heavy as gently caress and full of pinch points. For general use i think the best bang for buck (and space) is a 6ft or 8ft fiberglass A-frame depending on your height and how comfortable you are on a ladder.

Its easy to hang an A frame on the wall in a garage or something so it's really not bad to store.

If you ever see yourself getting on your roof, you may want to add a 20ft extension ladder to your collection.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Verman posted:

So I'm buying a house this month and will likely need a few things but definitely a ladder for general house stuff. It's there like, a defacto standard ladder to look for? Not sure if a folding composite ladder or an aluminum extension would be best. The house is a relatively low angle single story house with a pretty flat roof, the ceilings are vaulted 12 feet at the highest point.

I feel like folding A type ladders are annoying and require a poo poo ton of space but they're self standing.

I saw one of the little giant ladders at Costco but with so many pivot points and sections I'm not sure how sturdy they are.

I'll also finally need to upgrade from my little 2 gallon shop vac to a real one. Thankfully the biggest lifestyle change will be having a real garage. Air compressor, tool bench. God it's going to be so nice.

You're probably going to need more than one, so what is your first concern?

Are you doing inside things? You probably want a decent fiberglass step ladder of a height that reached your highest ceiling. Unless your highest is really high because some part of the house is cathedral, then skip that and get a nice step ladder that lets you get your hands on the rest.

If it's outside you need to figure out the actual jobs you'll be doing.

Little Giants are great. They are stable, they are reliable. But drat they are heavy and a pain in the rear end to use. It's the kind of thing you put on a truck when you have limited storage space that need to cover multiple ladder types. We literally have them on our fire trucks. I do not/will not ever have one at home. Unless I live in an apartment where I have to maintain it myself and have super limited storage space.....I guess that's another use case that would make sense.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I had one of those little giant things and I loving hated it enough that when a friend borrowed it, I made him promise not to bring it back. They’re heavy and unwieldy, and good luck doing anything in full extension mode. Impossible to place and in that pose, the joints make it wiggly as hell. I’ll grant that its stable enough in it’s A configuration.

Now I have an 8’ step ladder for when I need to reach high-ish things inside, and a couple extension ladders for various reaches outside. Any two of them combined do not weigh as much as the little giant, and they are all 10x more manageable and safe feeling.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 30, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have the 17 ft Cosco worlds greatest ladder which is basically a little giant copy and it’s worked fine. It’s very sturdy.

Edit: it is heavy, but I rarely use a ladder and don’t really mind. I don’t want multiple ladders either so it’s a trade off.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is your cabinet paint solvent/lacquer based? IME most pneumatic spray guns don't work all that well for spraying thick heavy house paint kind of paint, but they do well with clear or tinted lacquers (which dry much faster, but need some special precautions because the solvents are quite flammable). Even with the biggest tip in my pneumatic HVLP gun it struggles a bit with really thick lacquers, but it leaves a very nice finish. What's your budget?

If you're spraying thick paint, I think an airless sprayer is what you want. Graco makes some small, hand-held ones that someone recommended me a few pages back.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3384038&pagenumber=322&perpage=40#post513491249

Probably should have been more specific.

I'm mostly going to be doing enamel cabinet/trim paint when it comes to the thicker end of the spectrum. I would prefer to get a nice decent finish without having to thin it to the point where there's more mineral spirits than actual paint. Most of my clear finishes are poly (oil and water based).

I grabbed a cheap sprayer off amazon (gravity fed compressor style) and it did a good job for a while, but its performance steadily declined after every job, despite thorough cleanings before and after each one.

I think I'm leaning towards a LVPS.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 30, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have a Werner little giant clone. I like it. It's heavy and not they hard to use. I have one ladder that's both an 19ft extension ladder and a frame of various heights. It's small which means it comes through doors and tight areas easily

It helps I got it for 48bux on a Lowes price fuckup.

If you have the space a 6 foot fiberglass a frame will get you most of what you want.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I feel like the Little Giant-style ladders are for when you need to only buy 1 ladder for whatever reason. As noted, they'll get the job done, but they'll be more of a pain in the rear end than "real" ladders would be.

Otherwise, the only contribution I have to this conversation is that I highly recommend getting a two-step collapsible stepladder, something like this (to pick a random model, there's lots available). They're lightweight, stable, compact, and just about ideal for any "just slightly out of reach" jobs that don't warrant bringing out a real ladder.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like the Little Giant-style ladders are for when you need to only buy 1 ladder for whatever reason. As noted, they'll get the job done, but they'll be more of a pain in the rear end than "real" ladders would be.

Otherwise, the only contribution I have to this conversation is that I highly recommend getting a two-step collapsible stepladder, something like this (to pick a random model, there's lots available). They're lightweight, stable, compact, and just about ideal for any "just slightly out of reach" jobs that don't warrant bringing out a real ladder.

I have one of these and I like it. As a bonus, whenever my partner asks me to get it for her I get to repeat the joke "I don't have to listen to you! You're not my real ladder!"

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a little giant 22 ft ladder as my only ladder, and the trick is to never use a normal ladder so you don’t know how much easier they are. Everything said about them being heavy and awkward is true, but it’s honestly really handy and has been fine for my minor homeowner needs. I don’t have a lot of space and need to bring a ladder along in my vehicle sometimes though so it’s worth the hassle for me.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, I have one of those on every floor, and then the obnoxiously heavy Costco little giant clone

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We already have a step stool so I'll probably look at both a fiberglass a frame so that I can reach our 12 foot ceilings and an aluminum extension so that I can get on the roof. It's a low angle roof with epdm roofing so it's mostly just for keeping the gutters free of debris and monitoring for leaks.

Any opinions on exterior paint sprayers?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Verman posted:

We already have a step stool so I'll probably look at both a fiberglass a frame so that I can reach our 12 foot ceilings and an aluminum extension so that I can get on the roof. It's a low angle roof with epdm roofing so it's mostly just for keeping the gutters free of debris and monitoring for leaks.

Any opinions on exterior paint sprayers?

I have a Graco Magnum Pro X9, I believe (lots of different models) to do my house and a few other jobs. The house was like 85% prep, literally only a couple hours spraying, all tolled. I'd say it's about 50-50 brick and wood siding, soffit, etc. ymmv

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've got a little giant 22' and a 10 foot fiberglass and a smaller wood ladder (2 meters because it's from 'stralia and was made in the 80s). They're all good but have different use cases. I really like the little giant for getting up onto the roof but it does weigh 40 lbs so if I'm doing something indoors I'll use a step ladder or the wood one, generally. If you want a Little giant it's not a bad idea to look for sales. I picked mine up as an amazon warehouse deal for $150 or something. I also got the wall standoff accessory for using it at full extension against a wall and the work platform which is pretty nice if you have to spend time up on it doing something. It's definitely a beast and I don't regret buying it but it's harder to fit in my car than I was hoping (I wanted to put it across the back seats but it's slightly too tall fully collapsed so I need to drop down the rear seat and use the trunk space, too.)

bred
Oct 24, 2008
We also just moved and I have 2 ladders I've inherited over the years: an 8ft fiberglass A frame and a 12ft+ aluminum extension.

I've used the 8ft most of the time: running network, hanging garage lights, stowing things in the rafters, etc. I used the longer extension ladder to prune back a tree. I think the 8ft a frame is the biggest I can use indoors except the small vaulted area.

The one I'm thinking of buying is some kind of big boy stepladder. My dad has one that has a 2'x2' platform and 400lb? capacity that I really like. It puts me high enough for a lot of what I've used the 8ft for lately and is a safer option. We were laughing because he got it for the weight capacity but it is like micro scaffolding that sets up quickly and folds flat.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

bred posted:

We also just moved and I have 2 ladders I've inherited over the years: an 8ft fiberglass A frame and a 12ft+ aluminum extension.

I've used the 8ft most of the time: running network, hanging garage lights, stowing things in the rafters, etc. I used the longer extension ladder to prune back a tree. I think the 8ft a frame is the biggest I can use indoors except the small vaulted area.

The one I'm thinking of buying is some kind of big boy stepladder. My dad has one that has a 2'x2' platform and 400lb? capacity that I really like. It puts me high enough for a lot of what I've used the 8ft for lately and is a safer option. We were laughing because he got it for the weight capacity but it is like micro scaffolding that sets up quickly and folds flat.

We impulse-bought one of these ~3 years ago because we couldn’t believe how light it was and it’s now my go-to ladder for anything indoors: https://gorillaladders.com/product/gla-3/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

korora posted:

We impulse-bought one of these ~3 years ago because we couldn’t believe how light it was and it’s now my go-to ladder for anything indoors: https://gorillaladders.com/product/gla-3/

I have the two-step version of this stepladder. Agreed that it rules, it's super light and yet very stable.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Is the 40V Ryobi String Trimmer as great as it looks? I don’t need any other lawn tools right now, but I do want a string trimmer, and it looks like kind of a home run price wise. Could see myself getting a mower if my Snapper ever gave up the ghost too.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the 40v brushless xpand it trimmer, works great, have never ran out a 4ah battery in my yard. I even got the cultivator head for the garden beds and it's pretty powerful.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

nitsuga posted:

Is the 40V Ryobi String Trimmer as great as it looks? I don’t need any other lawn tools right now, but I do want a string trimmer, and it looks like kind of a home run price wise. Could see myself getting a mower if my Snapper ever gave up the ghost too.

My neighbor has it and I've borrowed it a few times. No complaints, it did the job fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool, it's between that and the M18 Milwaukee deal, since I already have an M18 tool. But this is less expensive, and the 40V system looks more complete in comparison for lawn stuff.