Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
separately i have often pined for a compressed air line in the kitchen/bathroom. who needs a drying rack for dishes when you can blast every droplet of water clean off in a fraction of a second. never squeegee a shower stall's panels dry again. dust the refrigerator coils clean by just pointing the air gun around the side and lettin 'er rip. and yeah, also a universal power source for your Rotary Cleaning Wand, but also potentially for blenders, food processors, mixers, etc- never hunt for a free outlet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

See, I would just pull a complete vacuum on the whole kitchen/bathroom. Any moisture whatsoever would immediately evaporate and be pumped out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rutibex posted:

Im pretty sure that dishwashers use a spinning thing powered by water pressure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98p6bKVC5nw
Lawn sprinklers too.

El Jebus posted:

Whoa, that actually sounds like a great tool. I'm thinking you could set it up so that to power the brush it uses water flowing through it and that would aid in cleaning. Might get a little messy, though...

My dad had a brush like that in the 80s for washing cars. Attach that poo poo to the garden hose, turn water on and BAM! Ridin' Spinners baby.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

My dad had a brush like that in the 80s for washing cars. Attach that poo poo to the garden hose, turn water on and BAM! Ridin' Spinners baby.

You reminded me this device already exists and I watched a review of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G04ZhkEives

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Uh, did Harbor Freight discontinue their 20% coupons?

I'll just buy my Chinese poo poo from Amazon then.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FogHelmut posted:

Uh, did Harbor Freight discontinue their 20% coupons?

I'll just buy my Chinese poo poo from Amazon then.

Yeah they've done away with coupons in favor of sales on things (instant deals) like a more standard store model. They'll probably come back if sales do worse but who knows if or when that might be.
https://go.harborfreight.com/20-percent-off-coupons/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ambrose Burnside posted:

separately i have often pined for a compressed air line in the kitchen/bathroom. who needs a drying rack for dishes when you can blast every droplet of water clean off in a fraction of a second. never squeegee a shower stall's panels dry again. dust the refrigerator coils clean by just pointing the air gun around the side and lettin 'er rip. and yeah, also a universal power source for your Rotary Cleaning Wand, but also potentially for blenders, food processors, mixers, etc- never hunt for a free outlet again
I have occasionally thought about a semi-steampunk world where compressed air is the primary means of power. Like every house has a city water line and gas line and a city compressed air line and the vacuum and blender and washer and all the other things that have electric motors run on compressed air instead. It’s much noisier, more durable world where household appliances last forever and everyone is deaf.

I haven’t figured out compressed air lightbulbs yet though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have occasionally thought about a semi-steampunk world where compressed air is the primary means of power. Like every house has a city water line and gas line and a city compressed air line and the vacuum and blender and washer and all the other things that have electric motors run on compressed air instead. It’s much noisier, more durable world where household appliances last forever and everyone is deaf.

instead of lightbulbs everyone uses tiny disposable screw-in gas lanterns

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is kind of the plot of Ted Chiang's Exhalation

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Verman posted:

Thats funny, Ive made my own versions of those out of toilet bowl scrubbers and the OXO sink scrubbers my wife deems being "past their usefulness". They've always worked really well for cleaning certain things.

Me too, but with whatever cheap "3 for $3" versions I can find in the supermarket. Stick a bolt through the hole that runs through the middle for the soap dispensing. Works a treat on my shower grout, although the cleaning paste does get thrown about a bit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Idk which thread to put this in, i guess this’ll do:

I recently bought a set of these DRILLBRUSH things:

and instead of being gimmicks like i expected, they’re actually very useful for anything requiring a lot of elbow-grease scrubbin over a large surface area- i can scrub down my shower stall in half the time it normally takes, gets in the grout better too. which makes me think: why don’t we use rotary brushes for more tedious scrubbing tasks? I use rotary tools at work all day and then go home and *scrub dishes* by hand, during my free time, like a moron ape.

I am having visions of a... dedicated kitchen rotary brush system, a cheaper substitute or complement to a dishwasher. basically a heavy-duty 1/4” shank Foredom tool or an equivalent system, with the motor mounted under the countertop and a flexshaft + handpiece emerging next to the sink through a waterproof cable gland. maybe even keep the foot-pedal speed control so you can control/adjust it without having to let go of something. i’m thinking of how quickly I could blast through an incredibly gnarly roast pan or w/e and man

anyways, i rent so i’m not actually gonna make this thing in the foreseeable future, but surely sth similar to this must already exist already in some form? it seems like such low-hanging fruit to me, a guy who loves clever ways to become even lazier

I also have something like this though I've thought for ultimate laziness I'd like it if there was a 2-4 foot long extension so you could keep the drill out of the way of splashing water and have a free spinning handle on the extension shaft that could guide/provide pressure to the brush.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Squibbles posted:

I also have something like this though I've thought for ultimate laziness I'd like it if there was a 2-4 foot long extension so you could keep the drill out of the way of splashing water and have a free spinning handle on the extension shaft that could guide/provide pressure to the brush.

this is why i mentioned foredom tools, it's a perfect fit

normally they take ~1/8" shank tools but woodworker handpieces are scaled for 1/4" hex shanks

also I went looking to see what sorts of bristle stiffnesses are on offer and lol they've got an XL model that has an angle grinder arbor instead of a hex shank. they'll even sell you the angle grinder, just rebadged and with the guards pulled off

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Superheated steam sounds like the solution to all these problems. Pipes in the walls to warm your home with a convenient faucet that you can hook a hose up to and run small a appliance. Use a hose and nozzle for a do-all kitchen and bathroom cleaning solution that sanitises and gently warms so your surfaces dry quickly.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have a cheap-ish steam cleaner from Amazon and the thing is like a magic wand for cleaning grout and stubborn stuff. It's the only way I can keep my kids' bathroom from smelling like the alley behind a bar.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Vindolanda posted:

Superheated steam sounds like the solution to all these problems. Pipes in the walls to warm your home with a convenient faucet that you can hook a hose up to and run small a appliance. Use a hose and nozzle for a do-all kitchen and bathroom cleaning solution that sanitises and gently warms so your surfaces dry quickly.

all engineer-brain trains of thought eventually reinvent buckminster fuller's dymaxion house

coathat
May 21, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a thing for a little bit around the early 20th century

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Ambrose Burnside posted:

all engineer-brain trains of thought eventually reinvent buckminster fuller's dymaxion house

Look pal if you want the engineer you can go up to the landing. I’m just the stoker.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

coathat posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a thing for a little bit around the early 20th century

that's actually still a cottage industry for servicing the Amish. The Amish aren't opposed to modern conveniences, they have all sorts of appliances that they've taken the electric motors out of and run them on compressed air. Blenders, washers/dryers, etc all run on compressed air, they use propane for fridges, etc.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
not sure if this is the right thread, but I think I'm going to be in the market for a small zero-turn mower soon. I have a ~0.75 acre plot but the landscaping breaks it up into a lot of areas where a zero turn would be nice, and parts of it are very steep.

any recommendations on brands, or things I need to specifically be looking at for features?

I'd probably be looking to keep this under $5k if at all possible, and it'd be nice if I could get 0% or low-interest financing and spread it out over 6-12 months or something like that. cheaper is better of course, but if something will translate into a substantially nicer experience or a longer lifespan or whatever then that's fine.

should I just hunt craigslist and see if I can find something used that looks decent, or go to a power-equipment dealer, or just start looking through lowes, or what?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

not sure if this is the right thread, but I think I'm going to be in the market for a small zero-turn mower soon. I have a ~0.75 acre plot but the landscaping breaks it up into a lot of areas where a zero turn would be nice, and parts of it are very steep.

any recommendations on brands, or things I need to specifically be looking at for features?

I'd probably be looking to keep this under $5k if at all possible, and it'd be nice if I could get 0% or low-interest financing and spread it out over 6-12 months or something like that. cheaper is better of course, but if something will translate into a substantially nicer experience or a longer lifespan or whatever then that's fine.

should I just hunt craigslist and see if I can find something used that looks decent, or go to a power-equipment dealer, or just start looking through lowes, or what?

You could get a nice Kubota z400 series in that budget, and they absolutely have some nice 0% financing. If you don't have a good Kubota dealership nearby this may not be the best choice....you should choose from brands that have local dealerships especially if you don't have a truck and trailer to move it yourself.

Do not pay them $400 extra for the suspension seat.....you can buy the suspension for $120 off of amazon and spend 45 minutes putting it on, instead spend that money on the lift kit that lets you change blades without any fuss. It's basically criminal they they don't come with these:

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
How much of it is on an incline and how steep? 0-turns and "very-steep" hills don't really mix that well, traction and tipping are both concerns.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elem7 posted:

How much of it is on an incline and how steep? 0-turns and "very-steep" hills don't really mix that well, traction and tipping are both concerns.

If there's anything you can cut "very steep" with a zero turn is pretty much the thing you want. Past that you're string trimming.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I can do it on a normal garden tractor without feeling like it's tipping. I can destroy the turf if I get going too fast, for sure, I have hydrostatic and I keep it slow on those portions, and I prefer to run straight up the hill especially at the top, but I'm not tipping all over.

the problem areas are not visible in this picture but the hardscaping ends at the side of the picture and there's a patch of grass there on the slope that I need to mow that makes the same climb. Same on the right side, beyond where the switchback comes into the street there's another strip on the right and it makes the same climb.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Motronic posted:

If there's anything you can cut "very steep" with a zero turn is pretty much the thing you want. Past that you're string trimming.

Once you hit 15 degrees any riding mower can become dangerous and most manufacturers would suggest you not use them above that, very steep to me could definitely mean that's what we're talking about. Even below that point traction can be iffy going uphill, worse with wet grass.

If its a small area just using a string trimmer may be the way to go but for if you've got a large area to mow on an incline a commercial self-propelled walk-behind may be a better option.

Edit: It could just be the picture but that looks like a pretty significant incline to me with a apparent limited ability to mow down which is the safest way to deal with them. The fact you haven't had any traction or tipping issues with a regular mower may mean you're fine I'd just recommend that if you haven't already you do a bit of research into mowing hills with 0-turns.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 8, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elem7 posted:

Once you hit 15 degrees any riding mower

lol. But okay.

A commercial or even prosumer zero turn isn't "any riding mower"

His problem is almost certainly a mower that doesn't have a floating deck with proper anti-scalp wheels that are also properly adjusted for the height he's cutting at. Any reasonable prosumer mower that is properly adjusted should handle this.

That old thing is not in the same class for low slung weight as a zero turn so this is just a ridiculous assertion. If he can do the grade on that he grade on any other mower.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Motronic posted:

lol. But okay.

A commercial or even prosumer zero turn isn't "any riding mower"

His problem is almost certainly a mower that doesn't have a floating deck with proper anti-scalp wheels that are also properly adjusted for the height he's cutting at. Any reasonable prosumer mower that is properly adjusted should handle this.

That old thing is not in the same class for low slung weight as a zero turn so this is just a ridiculous assertion. If he can do the grade on that he grade on any other mower.

Don't know why you're "lol" over that, its not a remotely controversial statement that manufacturers stick in their manuals and yes it applies to prosumer and even commercial 0-turns, if anything it applies to many of them more than other style mowers despite your statement to the contrary. I'd actually be less worried about many small riding mowers like the one he's been using given their more even weight distribution and the fact the front wheels actually steer vs casters. Would you seriously suggest slopes over 15 degrees require no change in how they're approached in the majority of machines?

It may be perfectly fine on his lawn, there's a reason I started out with the question regarding what exactly he means by "very steep" because it's a very subjective statement that to me means you're in questionable territory with a 0-turn but may not for others including the Op. As I'd said before yes, if he never had any issues with his current mower he may very well be fine in most any 0-turn.

Op if you do have any concerns about mowing your hills and will need to mow across them not just straight down and still want a 0-turn I'd recommend looking for a model where the front wheels can actually be used for steering as opposed to ones that're just castors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
actually it's that said mower may have dumped its oil all over the garage floor after I started it up this year, lol.

I worked on it today and I think it may have been the jug of used oil in a trashbag next to it tipped over when I was cleaning the garage, leaked, and ate through the trashbag, but I'm exploring options nonetheless.

I take it very slow on that slope (especially going down I just creep it as slow as I can with the hydro) and it's OK but I'd believe I may be exceeding the official safety limits. If I go too fast or spin the wheels I can definitely destroy the turf.

Is there some kind of level or something I can use to figure out just how steep it actually is? obviously I could measure the rise / run but :effort:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Paul MaudDib posted:

actually it's that said mower may have dumped its oil all over the garage floor after I started it up this year, lol.

I worked on it today and I think it may have been the jug of used oil in a trashbag next to it tipped over when I was cleaning the garage, leaked, and ate through the trashbag, but I'm exploring options nonetheless.

I take it very slow on that slope (especially going down) and it's OK but I'd believe I may be exceeding the official safety limits. If I go too fast or spin the wheels I can definitely destroy the turf.

Is there some kind of level or something I can use to figure out just how steep it actually is? obviously I could measure the rise / run but :effort:

There are some clinometer apps available out there if you search around on the play store and such. Should let you lay your phone on the slope and spit out an angle for you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
New homeowner here, which means it's time to buy some TOOLS. I have a project that will need a reciprocating saw, plus lots of things that need drilling, so looking for a cordless "ecosystem" to buy into. Hopefully this won't be too much of a bee's nest, is there anything I should be keeping in mind when I look, or brands to focus on or avoid? Are Harbor Freight's high end cordless any good or should I just stay away from that entirely?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

There are some clinometer apps available out there if you search around on the play store and such. Should let you lay your phone on the slope and spit out an angle for you.

I would have said the same thing but this is the tool thread, the correct answer is always :shepspends: so clearly the answer is a long straightedge and a digital angle finder.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

New homeowner here, which means it's time to buy some TOOLS. I have a project that will need a reciprocating saw, plus lots of things that need drilling, so looking for a cordless "ecosystem" to buy into. Hopefully this won't be too much of a bee's nest, is there anything I should be keeping in mind when I look, or brands to focus on or avoid? Are Harbor Freight's high end cordless any good or should I just stay away from that entirely?

I always recommend Ryobi for the average home user. The price is right and the list of tools is huge. for common tools (drills, impact drivers) they also have low mid and high end tools for what fits your need. Other than that you're looking at DeWalt Makita and Milwaukee, what color looks better.
Stay away from stuff like kobalt, my buddy didn't listen, then wanted a trim nailer and realized he'd need to buy into another system because kobalt doesn have one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I find Ryobi perfectly fine as joe homeowner that uses his tools occasionally for stuff around the house. The sheer number of tools that work with the batteries is nuts.

I have neighbors that swear by dewalt, and family that swears by Milwaukee.

If I had to make a living with my tools, or was using them past the level of an average homeowner I’d buy into Milwaukee.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As a ryobi owner, I like their stuff due to their performance/price/wide variety of tools including brushless and 40v. If I were to change systems I would probably go DeWalt just due to their availability and tool ecosystem but I'm pretty happy with Ryobi. My drill and circular saw are 9 years old (lithium 18v) and the batteries are still going strong. The brushless impact driver is one of my favorite tools. It's crazy powerful and I use it all the time.

The only other reason I might go for DeWalt is because other friends have them but maybe it's nice not worrying about people walking off with batteries or tools by mistake.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I recently bought a set of these DRILLBRUSH things:

This is the way to go for cleaning carpets etc in cars. Cuts down a ton on the time spent scrubbing, and it produces great results. Best to follow up with a water extractor vacuum though,

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Not sure if this really belongs here or the Home Zone thread, but I'm gutting the half of my garage that has my workbench, pegboard, tool storage, etc on it. Goal is to more electrical, insulate, and replace the ancient built-into-the-framing workbench.

Does anyone have experience with any of the metal pegboard options out there and have a recommendation? I was thinking metal would be a good step up over the fiber-board standard stuff, and be more durable in the long term. The big-box stores both appear to sell the same option (Wall Control), but there are other options available from online-vendors or industrial supply places. I'm guessing it is all pretty much the same barring slight differences in thickness etc, but thought I would ask here if anyone has something they have used and love.

Bonus pic of the Russian Nesting Pegboard I found when I was ripping the wall off. That back layer is just over the empty stud bays, inset from the sheetrock face:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Imo if you have a table saw, ditch the pegboard and put French cleats everywhere

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yeah, I don't like pegboards either. If you do want the tools to be visible and within short reach at all times, then a French cleat system would probably work better.

I'd do cabinets and drawers myself. After using a lathe in my old garage for several months, everything was covered by a layer of superfine dust. That's when I decided to never store tools on/in anything that doesn't close.

But then I moved away and no longer have a garage so :saddowns:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You can also skip the hassle of french cleats and just put up plywood instead of drywall and screw whatever the heck you want to it wherever the heck you want.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ROJO posted:

Not sure if this really belongs here or the Home Zone thread, but I'm gutting the half of my garage that has my workbench, pegboard, tool storage, etc on it. Goal is to more electrical, insulate, and replace the ancient built-into-the-framing workbench.

Does anyone have experience with any of the metal pegboard options out there and have a recommendation? I was thinking metal would be a good step up over the fiber-board standard stuff, and be more durable in the long term. The big-box stores both appear to sell the same option (Wall Control), but there are other options available from online-vendors or industrial supply places. I'm guessing it is all pretty much the same barring slight differences in thickness etc, but thought I would ask here if anyone has something they have used and love.

Bonus pic of the Russian Nesting Pegboard I found when I was ripping the wall off. That back layer is just over the empty stud bays, inset from the sheetrock face:

I seem to recall a goon posting about a site to get factory seconds of metal pegboard that was by all accounts pretty great despite being sold as a factory second. I can't seem to find the link or post, though. Maybe someone else remembers or can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I’ve had the tab open for over a year at this point: https://cheappegboard.com