Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, thought about that, but the downsides are that is theres not two cars full of propane in my driveway i can get fuel from if needed, and not a few thousand gallons of propane at the gas station a mile away.

But, are dual fuel ones worth it, or are they a compromise that loses the best of both?

Gas station not have propane grill tanks? You could buy a couple 20lb tanks at ~$50 a piece and stick them in the garage. One 20lb tank should last about 8 hours of continues use. Like Spartan said they have a much higher shelf life than gasoline and with a gas powered generator if you let it sit for too long its not going to start when you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Duel fuel ones are usually fine from what I've seen. The propane line simply bypasses the carburetor. There's even gas to propane conversion kits available but I wouldn't bother with them as you don't want something cobbled together for an emergency.

All my knowledge is from for-fun research I did a year ago and I ended up buying a small propane generator to run my fridge and small electronics If need be. I don't have any large generator first hand experience.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

stealie72 posted:

Not exactly a tool, but does anyone have recommendations for a generator?

Situation is I live in a semi-rural area with a well for my water and an insulin-dependent family member, so any power loss of 12 hours or more will start to create issues. Have lived in this house for 5 years and have never had power go out for more than a few hours, but its 2020 and winter is coming so...

I want to be able to run my fridge, my well pump, and maybe my furnace blower (though I have a wood stove and lots of wood).

Wish I had the cash for a full house backup, but those are $texas, so I'm looking at an inverter gas generator in the 3-4kw range. Any brands to avoid? Any hidden gems?

I would strongly recommend 2 options.

1. Propane permanently-installed genset, with a big tank, transfer switch, the whole 9 yards. Gas/diesel is a bad idea if you're not running it regularly and it's outside. Maybe try to score a used one?

2. Small Honda, like the EU2200i (inverter) or EU3000i. It's light enough to be carried (the 2000 is one-hand carryable for me, the 3000 is 2-man portable), quiet, has enough power to run a fridge, blower, and a couple of lights pretty easily, are VERY reliable if treated well, and parts/availability is worldwide. They produce incredibly clean power, unlike old constant-RPM generators. Buy a 1-gallon can of "fake gas", which has a 5-year shelf life. Only ever start and shut down the generator using the fake gas. Only ever store it with fake gas in the tank. If the power goes out for long enough that you burn what's in the tank, refill it with gasoline and run it on that. Once the power's back on, dump the fuel, refill with a splash of fake gas, and run for 10 minutes. Then add some more fake gas and run for another 5-10 minutes. This guarantees that you burn off all the gasoline. I've got an EU2000i that's 9 years old, and it still starts on the second or third pull after being stored for 6+ months without use. I've got a Rubbermaid tote that fits over it and has cutouts for the cord and exhaust, so I can run it out on my deck in the snow. We ran these generators on small boats, on salt water, for a decade. They'd go for 3-4 years of constant abuse before needing much in the way of service aside from oil/spark plugs. They'd rot out from the salt spray before wearing out.

They do make a propane conversion for the EU2000i, and I've heard good things about it. They also make a fuel cap that has a hose to connect it to a larger fuel tank. It'll run for a week on a 5-gallon tank and a min-range load.

The saying is "Honda makes generators, everyone else makes toys"... it's not 100% true, but if it's life-critical, I'd spend the coin on a Honda. If you can't afford it, there are a bunch of copycat inverter portable generators from Ryobi, Champion, Generac, etc. Home Depot link: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Inverter-Generators/N-5yc1vZcbpx Outputs vary, opinions vary, and the prices are all over the map.

There are models in the higher range you're looking for, but you'll need to do some wiring for your furnace, more than likely. My vote would be the EU3000i for your use.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 24, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stealie72 posted:

Situation is I live in a semi-rural area with a well for my water and an insulin-dependent family member, so any power loss of 12 hours or more will start to create issues. Have lived in this house for 5 years and have never had power go out for more than a few hours, but its 2020 and winter is coming so...

I want to be able to run my fridge, my well pump, and maybe my furnace blower (though I have a wood stove and lots of wood).

Wish I had the cash for a full house backup, but those are $texas, so I'm looking at an inverter gas generator in the 3-4kw range. Any brands to avoid? Any hidden gems?

I got one of these at the beginning of the pandemic. It may be a tad small for your energy needs but I like having it so I can recharge tablets/phones in case of power out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF6dR8fSGvU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

You might ask in the wiring thread as well. You need disconnects of some sort if you are hooking it up to anything hardwired.

The inline natural gas/propane ones are definitely the quietest. The gas powered ones range from ‘loud as gently caress’ to ‘pretty quiet’ and Honda definitely seems to be the gold standard around here.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I bought a no-name gas one 10 years ago because of ice storm damage to power lines here.
In retrospect, a Honda would have been nice as would a propane, but I don't recall ever seeing those.
Also pure gas, no ethanol imo.

It helps, nay is a necessity to have plenty of heavy duty power cords to reach from wherever you sit it to the center of your home, and then to various necessary spots. Lucky for me, I've still got 500' or so of cords from when I built homes.
It has dual 120/240 receptacles and I was tempted to hotwire the water heater in for showers that one time.

Big dual fridge, a few lights, some space heaters, TV and oh yeah internet can all run simultaneously without breaking the bank on it.

fakedit- also theft is something of an issue during a breakdown like that, so the fact mine is loud is a blessing curse. Thieves can hear it, but I can hear if it shuts off unexpectedly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

It helps, nay is a necessity to have plenty of heavy duty power cords to reach from wherever you sit it to the center of your home, and then to various necessary spots. Lucky for me, I've still got 500' or so of cords from when I built homes.

this..

My ex's family once tried to backfeed a house with a widowmaker dual ended extesion cord made from a harbor freight poo poo cord that I believe was rated for 5A. I dont think they turned off the main breaker either.

Don't be a dumbass, but I know stealie72 wont be one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yamaha makes good portable generators too. If your main purpose is just " run some extension cords through a window to the outside and turn on the generator as needed" then Yamaha is also a viable option.
We had a few (EF2600) at work and if it didn't start on the first pull then you forgot to turn the switch on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

I would strongly recommend 2 options.

1. Propane permanently-installed genset, with a big tank, transfer switch, the whole 9 yards. Gas/diesel is a bad idea if you're not running it regularly and it's outside. Maybe try to score a used one?

2. Small Honda, like the EU2200i (inverter) or EU3000i. It's light enough to be carried (the 2000 is one-hand carryable for me, the 3000 is 2-man portable), quiet, has enough power to run a fridge, blower, and a couple of lights pretty easily, are VERY reliable if treated well, and parts/availability is worldwide. They produce incredibly clean power, unlike old constant-RPM generators. Buy a 1-gallon can of "fake gas", which has a 5-year shelf life. Only ever start and shut down the generator using the fake gas. Only ever store it with fake gas in the tank. If the power goes out for long enough that you burn what's in the tank, refill it with gasoline and run it on that. Once the power's back on, dump the fuel, refill with a splash of fake gas, and run for 10 minutes. Then add some more fake gas and run for another 5-10 minutes. This guarantees that you burn off all the gasoline. I've got an EU2000i that's 9 years old, and it still starts on the second or third pull after being stored for 6+ months without use. I've got a Rubbermaid tote that fits over it and has cutouts for the cord and exhaust, so I can run it out on my deck in the snow. We ran these generators on small boats, on salt water, for a decade. They'd go for 3-4 years of constant abuse before needing much in the way of service aside from oil/spark plugs. They'd rot out from the salt spray before wearing out.

They do make a propane conversion for the EU2000i, and I've heard good things about it. They also make a fuel cap that has a hose to connect it to a larger fuel tank. It'll run for a week on a 5-gallon tank and a min-range load.

The saying is "Honda makes generators, everyone else makes toys"... it's not 100% true, but if it's life-critical, I'd spend the coin on a Honda. If you can't afford it, there are a bunch of copycat inverter portable generators from Ryobi, Champion, Generac, etc. Home Depot link: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators-Inverter-Generators/N-5yc1vZcbpx Outputs vary, opinions vary, and the prices are all over the map.

There are models in the higher range you're looking for, but you'll need to do some wiring for your furnace, more than likely. My vote would be the EU3000i for your use.

What sort of brands would you be looking at for a permanently installed genset?

As far as I can tell, when translating to the UK market, "genset" is still occasionally written as "generator set", but more often as "standby generator"? And "propane" is "LPG" here, I think.

Like these:
https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/standby-home-back-up-generators/shopby/dir/desc/order/price.html

The vast majority of these big boxy air-conditioner-lookin' units seem to be diesel, with some dual fuel LPG / petroleum (gas) units. Some LPG / natural gas which is kinda handy since I have natural gas to the house which might run while the power doesn't. There also seems to be a grand total of one Honda LPG unit.

Diesel is readily available here, but I don't know whether that suffers from the same shelf life issues you're talking about.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 24, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I guess I'm in the minority here, but given the reality of stores being shut down in the immediate aftermath of a major storm and possible difficulty in travel, personally I'd rather have a gasoline genset (or dual fuel) if I didn't have a large propane tank or natgas supply. As OP stated, you can easily have a large store of gasoline that will give you a large time buffer before needing more.

And everyone will be buying both gas and propane, it's likely the corner store will get a fuel delivery before the propane truck comes back around.

tater_salad posted:

this..

My ex's family once tried to backfeed a house with a widowmaker dual ended extesion cord made from a harbor freight poo poo cord that I believe was rated for 5A. I dont think they turned off the main breaker either.

Don't be a dumbass, but I know stealie72 wont be one.

It's always surprising to me the crazy things people do, when there are multiple right ways, and "kinda janky but still safe-ish" methods that would be the same or little more work.

Much is made of backfeeding the power line for worker's safety, but frankly people don't give a poo poo about us when the power is out. I think it should be emphasized that backfeeding during an outage raises the possibility of damaging your generator or other electrical equipment. IMO the public may be more concerned about something that will cost them.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Quick suggestions for a 24' above ground pool cover. Everything on Amazon looks like hot garbage.

I don't mind paying a little more if it's better quality. Just can't seem to find it.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Falco posted:

The dust deputy works incredibly well. I hemmed and hawed about spending the money, and wished I would have bought it sooner. It works incredibly well. There’s also plenty of overseas knockoffs if you aren’t in a rush and want to save money.

Do you, or anyone else, have suggestions regarding knock-offs? I can live with a bit of a wait depending on the savings.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Grimson posted:

Do you, or anyone else, have suggestions regarding knock-offs? I can live with a bit of a wait depending on the savings.

You could make your own if you're really penny pinching.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Grinder update: it lives
The VFD mount is some bullshit I made right now but it will be better when I have a more permanent spot for it. Currently it's some Misumi aluminium extrusion jig I made up but in future it'll be able to be wall mounted

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

What sort of brands would you be looking at for a permanently installed genset?

As far as I can tell, when translating to the UK market, "genset" is still occasionally written as "generator set", but more often as "standby generator"? And "propane" is "LPG" here, I think.

Like these:
https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/standby-home-back-up-generators/shopby/dir/desc/order/price.html

The vast majority of these big boxy air-conditioner-lookin' units seem to be diesel, with some dual fuel LPG / petroleum (gas) units. Some LPG / natural gas which is kinda handy since I have natural gas to the house which might run while the power doesn't. There also seems to be a grand total of one Honda LPG unit.

Diesel is readily available here, but I don't know whether that suffers from the same shelf life issues you're talking about.

Along the Gulf of Mexico coast in the US, 90% of the standby generators I see on people's houses are Generac, and they're powered by natural gas.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Grimson posted:

I made my own out of 2 5 gallon buckets, pretty happy with it so far. Plenty of guides on youtube.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm going to be doing some stairs this weekend, and thus a lot of straight rip cuts. I do not have a table saw, but I do have a circular saw and a nice sliding miter saw. My plan is to use the miter saw for the short edges and to use the circular saw for the long edges.

What's my best path to making a bunch of nice straight cuts? I've been looking at the Kreg rip jig for $40, or maybe I should just use a metal straight edge and clamps. I'm doing about 25 pairs of treads and risers so anything that can save me some time would be helpful.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

canyoneer posted:

I'm going to be doing some stairs this weekend, and thus a lot of straight rip cuts. I do not have a table saw, but I do have a circular saw and a nice sliding miter saw. My plan is to use the miter saw for the short edges and to use the circular saw for the long edges.

What's my best path to making a bunch of nice straight cuts? I've been looking at the Kreg rip jig for $40, or maybe I should just use a metal straight edge and clamps. I'm doing about 25 pairs of treads and risers so anything that can save me some time would be helpful.

what are you cutting them out of?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JEEVES420 posted:

what are you cutting them out of?

Pine pre-formed stairs/risers from Lowe's

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

canyoneer posted:

This is my favorite kind of circ saw jig:
https://www.rockler.com/learn/circular-saw-cutting-jigs
Cheap, easy to use and quite accurate. No measuring the offset for the shoe of the saw, just plop it down on your marks, clamp/screw it down (clamps can get in the way sometimes), and cut.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I've had a bit of a win.
I work in nuclear science in Australia as a mechanical engineer (that really narrows my employer down lmao) with a bunch of people from different backgrounds and was talking to one of the guys on my project, I'm on delivery and he's on the operational readiness and maintenance team. Ex machinist. We were talking about my knife making hobby and I mentioned I was looking to get a Tig welder (something I've learnt and want to keep sharp on) and a PAPR helmet with grinding mode which I can use in welding and fabrication and knife making as well. Mig as well but Tig is a more immediate goal as it's transferable within knife making as a skill I can "hire" out to guys with forge capabilities to make their own Damascus blades

Anyway, he offered me an older (17yo) SIP mig welder which had barely seen any real use! So as of Friday I'll be the owner of a reasonable quality Mig for the price of a few 700ml bottles of very good homebrew. 15A input and runs gasless and gas, which is great because we can get "disposable" argon bottles here in Australia which for me is probably enough to do what I want.

I'll post some pics when I get it, I need a helmet but I'm pretty stoked

Any suggestions in stuff I should be looking at replacing/checking?

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is my favorite kind of circ saw jig:
https://www.rockler.com/learn/circular-saw-cutting-jigs
Cheap, easy to use and quite accurate. No measuring the offset for the shoe of the saw, just plop it down on your marks, clamp/screw it down (clamps can get in the way sometimes), and cut.

I used this before I got my table saw and it worked pretty well for me too!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McSpergin posted:

and a PAPR helmet

Uhhh....those are $2500 or more in the US. What can you get them for there?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Motronic posted:

Uhhh....those are $2500 or more in the US. What can you get them for there?

An ESAB Sentinel A50 is about $1800 AUD, the most I've seen em go for (other brands) is short of 2k.

ESAB at Dandy Gas - 1695

3M Speedglas Papr

The air without the PAPR gear is about $500 which is probably what I'll go with in the short term, as I'll need a welding helmet and I'm ok with spending more on my personal safety. As long as I can get a PAPR rig later anyway.

Colleague at work has the 3M one and loves it, he goes through a filter every 6 months but he is a boilermaker and does a ton of welding every day with all sorts of stuff (not just steel, he does nickel and other alloys of weird stuff)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I. M. Gei posted:

I need to drill a bunch of holes

If you cross your eyes and move backwards away from your wall it reveals a secret message

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You quoted a 6 month old post to reply with a goatse joke?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

You quoted a 6 month old post to reply with a goatse joke?

Seems like a win to me considering this project has been resurrected.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Best reusable respirator mask(s) for spraying lots of garden chemicals that are harmful if inhaled or if they get in your eyes? Preferably something that I can wear hearing protection with, and is also good for woodworking/painting/staining poo poo?

The hearing protection compatibility part is important. I have sensitive hearing and do a lot of music stuff, and I need my hearing to last as long as possible.

Motronic posted:

Seems like a win to me considering this project has been resurrected.

Yeah I’ve done literally zero work on that project since April. I lost focus on it entirely as soon as I started fostering those newborn kittens I mentioned awhile back and for some reason I haven’t been able to get myself back on the horse at all. I don’t really know why but ADHD is almost definitely a major factor. Probably some other brain poo poo too.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 4, 2020

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pony up for the full face version
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-14...s%2C206&sr=1-19

I've had one for a few years now and its amazing. Earmuffs fit over it easily so no concern there. I was slightly worried that the face mask would fog up but the mouth-nose piece is very well sealed so its not an issue. I use mine for dusty jobs, solvent jobs, cutting extremely juicy onions, and cleaning out the nasty spoiled stuff from my refrigerator.

If you intend to do any spraying with I'd make sure to get a pile of the lens protectors as well. I only go through one every year or so of light duty woodworking but I'll bet it'd get fouled up in no time with sprays.

Also if the filters you use are pink you look like a pretty princess storm trooper.

edit: The only minor downside is that its a bit heavy so after a few hours of continuous use you'll start to feel it.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 4, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: unnecessary double post lol

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Pony up for the full face version
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-14...s%2C206&sr=1-19

I've had one for a few years now and its amazing. Earmuffs fit over it easily so no concern there. I was slightly worried that the face mask would fog up but the mouth-nose piece is very well sealed so its not an issue. I use mine for dusty jobs, solvent jobs, cutting extremely juicy onions, and cleaning out the nasty spoiled stuff from my refrigerator.

If you intend to do any spraying with I'd make sure to get a pile of the lens protectors as well. I only go through one every year or so of light duty woodworking but I'll bet it'd get fouled up in no time with sprays.

Also if the filters you use are pink you look like a pretty princess storm trooper.

edit: The only minor downside is that its a bit heavy so after a few hours of continuous use you'll start to feel it.

Cool, thanks!

What kind of filters should I get with it for what I’m doing?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The $15 half face is a good option if you don't need the full face, and unless you're dealing with really bad stuff in enclosed areas (making meth under a laundry facility), you probably don't. You can always pick up a nice pair of tight fitting goggles.

Pay attention to the filters. 3M has a guide: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/40744O/3m-respirator-cartridge-and-filter-selection-poster.pdf The basic pancake P100s are fine for any kind of dust/asbestos, but you'll want one of the various vapor carts if you're spraying dangerous chemicals.

Availability of the filters seems to be getting somewhat better, though you'll still pay about 2x what they went for pre-COVID.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I use one of those with that Ryobi sprayer you listed- which I ended up getting. And I've used them for spraying lacquer and oil finishes. They're overkill for woodworking unless it's some toxic exotic that you shouldn't inhale the dust from.
Those masks are fine outside on trees, etc as long as you're not spraying into the wind- as you'd already know. Edit- you need to get the carbon carts listed for whichever model, and the paper or cloth filters outside those typically. That sprayer is also :thumbsup: imo

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 5, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Mambold posted:

Edit- you need to get the carbon carts listed for whichever model, and the paper or cloth filters outside those typically.

So you’re saying I should get both a cartridge and a prefilter? Do I understand you right?

Which cartridge and which prefilter do I need? (from that list B-Nasty posted above)

Mr. Mambold posted:

That sprayer is also :thumbsup: imo

Good to know, since I haven’t had a chance to try mine out yet. :negative:

I uhh... I found another abandoned kitten and got distracted from my garden stuff again.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 5, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

So you’re saying I should get both a cartridge and a prefilter? Do I understand you right?

Which cartridge and which prefilter do I need? (from that list B-Nasty posted above)

Yes. Carbon particulate cartridges filter noxious gases and chemical vapors that are bad for your brain and organs- like from spraying pesticides or lacquer, etc. The prefilter picks up floaties, particulates basically. That list is extremely granular and I had no idea they'd gone that broad a selection. You want something that absorbs organic chemicals, vapors. It seems the further down the list you go, the more comprehensive (and probably expensive, idk) the filters are. So I guess get the ones for the purposes you'll be needing them for. :science:

Keep in mind they have a certain lifespan determined by usage and absorption, and also the caveat everyone will tell you about storing them in a ziplock bag so the filters don't absorb humidity and become garbage while not being used. The prefilters you can visually inspect for how much stuff they've blocked and when to replace. And they're way cheaper.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Particulate filters are easy, you stop using them once breathing through them gets too hard. Chemical filters are something you should track more closely, some chemicals will tell you to change them because of noxious fumes that you can detect, others not so much.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

What, exactly, are you spraying?

There's a difference between spray/aerosol particles and actual vapor. For most garden chemicals and pesticides in an outdoor (well-ventilated) area, the P100 with nuisance organic vapor protection (2097) is probably sufficient. You could step up to one of the organic vapor carts (pesticides are almost always organic chemicals.)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

B-Nasty posted:

What, exactly, are you spraying?

There's a difference between spray/aerosol particles and actual vapor. For most garden chemicals and pesticides in an outdoor (well-ventilated) area, the P100 with nuisance organic vapor protection (2097) is probably sufficient. You could step up to one of the organic vapor carts (pesticides are almost always organic chemicals.)

This. Using a sprayer outside, you are mostly worried about breathing in droplets of the stuff. Unless you are using something super nasty, in which case you should not be asking random DIY fans on the internet for advice, the p100 is going to take care of you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Alright internet.. Maybe y'all can help me maybe you can't.. some of y'all might know this and some of y'all wont.. let me clear my throat.

I'm in the market for a home use garage table saw. 15 amp is the max draw, and I'd like to put it away once I'm done using it, would like dado capability. I would not like a full on cabinet saw that's goign to take up a shitton of space in my 1 car garage that's full of bikes, outdoor power equipment, kayaks etc.

My IDEAL saw is the delta 10" 15amp (one if it's like 5 variants) which happens to actually be in stock for delivery (last I looked) and will be selling out fast.

Things I like: A decent sized real metal table that's flat (mostly) with a decent fence (and then some lovely wings that are acceptable), it's on wheels and can be moved into a corner of the garage. the 30" rip capacity is also nice. The extra length on the wings is nice to slap a melanine board for a DIY router table.
The issue is that this saw is known for it's lovely motor dying. i've owned this saw once before and was pretty happy with it and with decent use
Delta: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-Contractor-Saws-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1001385562

Most of the contractor saws (foldy ones) have a 20-25" rip capacity, there's a dewalt that has an extendo-guide that'll go out to 32, are these any good, how's the accuracy of these fence types?
is dewalt still a decent brand or has it been also turned into a gamble of some kind.

Dewalt: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Portable-Table-Saw/50040968

given that those are basically my choices it seems (unless there are other suggestions) Dewalt or Play Delta roulette on the motor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is the one I was using until recently. It's fine.