Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HF tool chests are good. Big value for the money. I’ve seen many mechanics with huge snap on boxes use that HF tool cart. Mechanics I’ve seen on YT and TikTok recommend that cart.

Some of the Home Depot stuff is supposedly pretty decent as well if you catch it on sale or clearance.

Like Elysium mentioned, some HF stuff is a direct clone from the major brands. I know snap on tried to sue them over one of their hydraulic jacks a few years ago. They lost since snap on doesn’t actually make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Oh Snap.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I got a big rear end husky tool chest for free from the father in law because they are moving to a cabin and have no space for it. It owns because it was their 900$ cart.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeha I looked at those. I have small garage and it's already getting fuller.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sun Joe SPX3000 2030 Max PSI 1.76 GPM 14.5-Amp Electric High Pressure Washer
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CPGMUXW

On sale for $129. Is this any good? I’ve been casually looking for a pressure washer for random poo poo like spraying the moss off the top of my shed and some roof tiles and whatnot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Unless your roof is metal, you don't want to use a pressure washer on shingles. It will prematurely wear out the material and can push water into crevices. Best to use a hose. If you use a pressure washer, use a low pressure tip. Try not to scrub too much.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-remove-moss-from-roof/

I picked up a ryobi electric for dirt bike washing and other pressure washer stuff and it's been really great. Easy to use, quick to assemble and put away and it has a soap hose. I think it was around $150?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I have an electric ryobi pressure washer not fast works fine no fuss.

I have HF General tool cabinets and they work great.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Unless your roof is metal, you don't want to use a pressure washer on shingles. It will prematurely wear out the material and can push water into crevices. Best to use a hose. If you use a pressure washer, use a low pressure tip. Try not to scrub too much.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-remove-moss-from-roof/

I picked up a ryobi electric for dirt bike washing and other pressure washer stuff and it's been really great. Easy to use, quick to assemble and put away and it has a soap hose. I think it was around $150?

Our house roof is tile, but the shed is shingled, so this is good to know. Thanks!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I spent last weekend building a workbench that I am pretty happy with.

In process:

Fully constructed:

Starting to accessorize:

I still need to finish the pegboard layout and then figure out what other hand tools I make sense to lay out in that space. Any thoughts on some obvious ones I'm missing?

I have ratchets + wrenches in that case on the lower surface and saws + level hanging from nails on the sides.

e: for context, I'm still very new at this and slowly accumulating tools. The only power tools I have are a drill and circular saw.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 12, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looking good!

- Carpenters pencil
- some sort of screw/nail/odd little bits storage device, my mind is not telling me the word for this right now

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tangy yet delightful posted:

Looking good!

- Carpenters pencil
- some sort of screw/nail/odd little bits storage device, my mind is not telling me the word for this right now

Ah yeah, the pegboard hardware kit had some little bin things I could fit somewhere. Thanks!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Any thoughts on some obvious ones I'm missing?

What do you intend to do at yonder workbench? Like, as a woodworker, the missing tool that jumps out at me is "a vise" (not a hand tool, but as useful as any!) and it'd probably necessitate some modifications to the bench. But that's only if that's actually your thing.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tracecomplete posted:

What do you intend to do at yonder workbench? Like, as a woodworker, the missing tool that jumps out at me is "a vise" (not a hand tool, but as useful as any!) and it'd probably necessitate some modifications to the bench. But that's only if that's actually your thing.

Ah I actually have a vice but it didn't come with bolts so it's off on a shelf until I pick up some 3/8" bolts. I am hoping to avoid mods but you're right, its not trivial to figure out how to join it. The underside of the table corner looks like this with the rectangle in the upper right representing a cross-section of the leg:

As for use, just low-stakes home projects for now. Past jobs have been a cat tree, picnic table, hammock stand. Next up will probably be a couple of lawn chairs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Man I have so many projects I want to do right now with wood while the weather is nice (gets too hot in summer here), but I do not want to pay market price for wood these days.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

A pickle jar.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Can anyone recommend a mini/precision hot air gun? My impression is that the normal ones aren’t so good for very precise heating, and I’ve got some plastic bending to do (plastic about 1.5mm thick by 20mm wide) where I’d prefer not to heat the surrounding plastic too much. I’ve been using a mini blowtorch but that tends to heat it too much and to flame polish where I’d rather it didn’t.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vindolanda posted:

Can anyone recommend a mini/precision hot air gun? My impression is that the normal ones aren’t so good for very precise heating, and I’ve got some plastic bending to do (plastic about 1.5mm thick by 20mm wide) where I’d prefer not to heat the surrounding plastic too much. I’ve been using a mini blowtorch but that tends to heat it too much and to flame polish where I’d rather it didn’t.

You don't want a precision heat gun, what you want is a normal heatgun and a nozzle attachment (careful they get hot!)
https://www.amazon.com/Nozzles-Sold...18225890&sr=8-8

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Rutibex posted:

You don't want a precision heat gun, what you want is a normal heatgun and a nozzle attachment (careful they get hot!)
https://www.amazon.com/Nozzles-Sold...18225890&sr=8-8

Good thinking! I don’t know why I forgot about them - I knew all about the wide spread nozzles and the ones that let you shield behind a pipe.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I burned my fingers just looking at those things.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

I burned my fingers just looking at those things.

If it smells like fried chicken, you're doing it wrong.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Seeing those reminded me of the time I was working on my guitar as a teenager. I learned very quickly to never lay a screwdriver next to a pen style soldering iron because they are shaped very similarly and you may just in fact pick up the soldering iron and not the screw driver you were intending to grab without looking.

Hearing my own skin sizzle is one of the things I never wish to repeat ever again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Hearing my own skin sizzle is one of the things I never wish to repeat ever again.

Flashbacks to my vasectomy

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Verman posted:

Did that one once walking into the muffler of a pressure washer that had been running for something like two hours.

That one took a while to heal.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Oh man, the fish belly skin on the bottom of my arm about an inch up from my wrist vs the muffler of a chainsaw. My skin stuck to the drat thing like...well...fish skin on a hot pan.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There's a smell to LASIK. It's not burning, technically, but I'm not sure it matters.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Other painful stories:

Friend was wearing a cable knit sweater in metals class when we were learning how to mig weld and a piece of slag popped and his sweater instantly ignited into a blue flame ball. It singed all his chest hair and eyebrows clean off. At the time it was the late 90s early 00s so he had a lot of alcohol hair gel as well and I just remember the smell of burning hair. He was quick to get the sweater off though before getting seriously burned.

The other bad smell was when I stubbed my big toe really bad and read up on lancing it with a red hot needle. :nms: Drilling through the toenail with a red hot needle is nauseating on its own as it smells awful and sounds like a cross between the sizzle and a squeak but the relief was immediate. I don't get too squeamish but I almost passed out when I pulled the needle out and saw a large amount of blood squirt 5 feet into the air. My bathroom looked like I hit the an artery

Thankfully all my years of shop class and what not I never saw a kid chop off a finger or anything too severe. In our foundry section of shop class, my cast pouring partner hosed up and dropped the crucible of molten aluminum on the floor. That was cool watching liquid aluminum move across the floor lighting everything on fire but also super sketchy since I had to jump up onto a table to not get burned.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Cathead burns for me.

When the client wants "just another 50" in the middle of the summer, that poo poo gets hot as gently caress. Especially if the ground is already hard as hell.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My brother once leaned up against a hot oven housing at some plant and thought he was going to have a funky scar of a panel line and two hex head nuts on his arm. Instead it healed instead of making him look like he had a robot arm.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I recently bought a summerhouse and need some tools for different things. I already have a Bosch drill and a mouse sander, but plan on just buying into Ryobi.

Can anyone recommend two things for me:

1) A good online retailer of tools in the EU, preferably Germany - I have previously used some UK based ones, but being in Denmark after Brexit means import duties and gently caress that.

2) A good brand for hand tools, some of the ones I see recommended here are US-based. Things I have seen around here are Wera and Bahco, and I don't really mind paying for good quality, but wonder if anyone have any other brands.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

refleks posted:

A good brand for hand tools

Wira
Weha
Bahco
Lie-Nielsen
Veritas
Knipex

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

refleks posted:

2) A good brand for hand tools, some of the ones I see recommended here are US-based. Things I have seen around here are Wera and Bahco, and I don't really mind paying for good quality, but wonder if anyone have any other brands.

Narex for chisels and similar things

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Trabant posted:

There's a smell to LASIK. It's not burning, technically, but I'm not sure it matters.

I also experienced the smell of my own burning eyeball :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In an almost "reverse bad injury" sort of thing, last fall I was using a circular saw and was a big dummy dumb dumb and my finger was just ever so slightly in the way.

But I felt the blade hit my finger, dropped everything, screamed VERY loud in a pre-emptive "oh gently caress, I definitely just cut my finger tip off" sort of way.

Only to discover I barely grazed it, just a small drop of blood. My neighbor even came rushing over because she heard a saw, then screaming, and is am EMT. I had to sheepishly admit it was just a tiny scratch and I'm a big baby.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I had a miter saw on the floor (unplugged), tripped over it, pushed it down so the blade was exposed, and fell into a tooth of the blade with my shin. I still have no idea how I did it, but it kind of bruise-gouged my shin through jeans and I still have a scar/discoloration a year and a half later. I don't even think it bled though?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the same theme I had a drill bit break and go flying last night and it didn't hit my glasses but I'm glad I was wearing them

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You ever use a chop saw and have a piece of wood come flying past your face while your safety glasses are on top of your head? No? Me neither...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Chop saws and circular saws at least leave something to sew back on if you're lucky. Shapers, jointers, fuggetaboudit, they take no prisoners.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have an amazing POV video I made of a doctor staring down at, uhh, something just off-cam, while a few fine tendrils of smoke waft up past his face, while chill music plays in the background.

Trabant posted:

Oh poo poo, I remember that too, now. I think I'd forgotten because I was juuuuust sedated enough to not care at the time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shop around for a vasectomy doctor and find yourself one that will give you IV sedation for the procedure. Well worth it, source: my balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do not accept an IV sedation from this man’s balls