Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

nitsuga posted:

Any suggestions for a miter saw stand? I think it’d be nice if it could tuck away, so I’m guessing I’m looking at portable ones in that case. Really only need it occasionally, but I could spend a bit more if it was worth the money. Some possibilities are below.

Ryobi: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Universal-Miter-Saw-QUICKSTAND-A18MS01G/205642391

Wen: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Collapsible-Rolling-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-3-Onboard-Outlets-MSA330/306588128

I bought a basic one from Amazon, "Tomax" which appears to be gone now, for $80 in early 2020. It's fine and stable, but having dragged it around back to do deck repair, wheels would have been amazing.

Edited in original post, woo new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the harbor freight Hercules miter saw. $300 for a 12 in saw is awesome, and the quality on it seems surprisingly tight. No complaints.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Bosch glide miter saw is expensive and kinda heavy but has been excellent, especially working in occasionally cramped quarters

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

nitsuga posted:

Any suggestions for a miter saw stand? I think it’d be nice if it could tuck away, so I’m guessing I’m looking at portable ones in that case. Really only need it occasionally, but I could spend a bit more if it was worth the money. Some possibilities are below.

Ryobi: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Universal-Miter-Saw-QUICKSTAND-A18MS01G/205642391

Wen: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Collapsible-Rolling-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-3-Onboard-Outlets-MSA330/306588128

I've got the Ryobi stand. I would not buy it again. It's not bad but just get one with wheels.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I have the dewalt rolling miter stand. I keep my (dewalt) saw on it. It's great to be able to easily roll it out to the driveway, and it's sturdy. So A+ for ease-of-use.

The extendable arms aren't that strong, though. So a very long 2x, or an 8' 4x4 is going to cause it to sag. You can make them higher to account for the sag, but it can be a pain to get it right. And then it's only right for that one cut.

Also the locking mechanism to bring it up and put it down does occasionally jam. That's a known failing of the unit. It doesn't fail and fall down, it just sometimes doesn't engage. Easy to fix once you know what is happening, but frustrating if you don't.

All in all, I'm glad I've had it for a couple years but I really can't wait to put together my chopsaw station and move on.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp looks like I’m getting a DeWalt DWS780. Thanks for all the tips!

nitsuga posted:

SpartanIvy posted:

Get one with wheels. It's a game changer.

This is the one I have and I think I got it on sale for $100.

RIDGID Universal Mobile Miter Saw Stand with Mounting Braces
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Universal-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161
SKU# 206992161

Is this stand any good for times when I might need a bit more length or weight capacity but don’t need wheels to move my saw around?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-29-lbs-Heavy-Duty-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-500-lbs-Capacity-DWX723/202665436

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

If you need more length, I'd just get a free-standing support. I use these and like them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

EDIT: vvvv Stops are a good call, but that's why I'm building mine into a bench that runs the full length of the shop wall. Shift around the other bench tools and get a solid 15' of clearance, with dogs the whole way.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 16, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Welp looks like I’m getting a DeWalt DWS780. Thanks for all the tips!

Is this stand any good for times when I might need a bit more length or weight capacity but don’t need wheels to move my saw around?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-29-lbs-Heavy-Duty-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-500-lbs-Capacity-DWX723/202665436

I don't like that the fingers for repeatable cuts don't really go out. Like If you look at the wen posted above the rollers can also work as a 'wood stop'. This is useful for when you need to make 12 2' cuts. You set it then just keep butting your 2x4 up to it. The dewalt doesn't seem to have that.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

nitsuga posted:

I have the Ryobi one and it's fine, although it's a bit of a pain to bolt my ryobi miter saw into, ironically. That wen one looks cool if you'll have space to roll the stand around in, my miter stand is heavy.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

tracecomplete posted:

I need to pick up a brad nailer and a pin nailer, both pneumatic. I don't want to go super cheap (the Arrow ones have a reputation for jamming and bending the driver, I'm reading?), and I'm willing to spend a few bucks; is there a pressing reason to buy, like, a DeWalt or a Metabo over something cheaper like a Porter Cable? Are there significant build differences once you get out of the ultra-budget range?

Some people say they really like the Ridgid "clean drive" and that it actually does jam less, but it's 2021 and the internet is mostly lies, so I have no idea.

Is air power the way to go for those still? I know cordless has gotten a shitload better in the last 10years or so, but idk about them for brad/finish nailers.

I also have to do a bunch of trim and may want an excuse to get some 18v stuff...

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

My understanding is battery nailers are serviceable (especially at smaller sizes) - not as fast, but no hose to deal with. If you've already got a compressor or if you're already deep in a battery ecosystem that probably dominates the decision. If you've got neither (or both) then, idk

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bloody posted:

My understanding is battery nailers are serviceable (especially at smaller sizes) - not as fast, but no hose to deal with. If you've already got a compressor or if you're already deep in a battery ecosystem that probably dominates the decision. If you've got neither (or both) then, idk

For something like a brad nailer I think battery wins hands down. If I just want to tack up a bit of trim I don't want to have to drag the compressor into the house, fire it up, and deal with the hose, only to have to reverse the entire process to put everything away after doing one strip of trim. I actually have a compressor powered brad nailer and the last time I could have used it I ended up doing the nails manually with a little 7oz hammer and a nail set just to avoid that process.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Protip: buy more hose.

Or a battery nailer.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

stealie72 posted:

Protip: buy more hose.

Or a battery nailer.

Super high pressure cylinders and a mountaineering pack that can hold them. That way you’re always ready to go with a few cylinders and 40kg of brads. Have porters leave caches on top of bookcases and so forth in case you need to do a long-duration expedition like putting up a dado.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
fair enough, seems like time to take the plunge - is the combo kit the best route to go? I have 12v bosch drill and impact driver and they're done well for years so I haven't had a great reason to buy bigger ones, and it seems like every kit has them. I know I'll be needing a circ saw and finish nailer which don't seem to be common kit components dicking around on home depots site...

If I'm looking for:
Circ Saw (not sure if I really need a worm/hypoid or not)
Nailer
Oscillating tool (Bosch has a 12v one that would match my existing stuff - cheap to just buy the tool but idk if 12v would last long there...
Recip saw maybe? I've got access to corded ones but might be nice...
Nut fucker 5000 - dont really need it but gently caress it why not

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Alarbus posted:

I bought a basic one from Amazon, "Tomax" which appears to be gone now, for $80 in early 2020. It's fine and stable, but having dragged it around back to do deck repair, wheels would have been amazing.

Edited in original post, woo new page.

I like Xamot better.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wanna buy that miter saw now but I only got $360 :whitewater:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Sign up for the lowes card if you haven't (the 779 is on sale for 399 there, 20% off should get you there depending on your salestax)

then like a true American, forget about your credit card or just pay minimum payments and pay 30% interest.

My fiancee had a lowes card but when I was buying a $600 tablesaw you better fuckin believe I signed up for one under my name to save a hunnit.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I reckon I can give that a try, although I tried the preapproval thing on Lowes.com like last month and it denied me.

I’m actually waiting on a couple credit cards to arrive in the mail. They’re the credit repair kind though (those ones that are just supposed to sit in your wallet and make your credit score look gooder), so the spending limits on them are only like $300.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

oh if you're getting credit repair cards then Synchrony is probably not going to lend much to you for a store card.

keep on saving you're almost there.. only another 50bux + tax.

Is there a project you MUST do NOW, kuz it's still going to snow this week where I am.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

Harbor Freight has entered the chat

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tater_salad posted:

oh if you're getting credit repair cards then Synchrony is probably not going to lend much to you for a store card.

keep on saving you're almost there.. only another 50bux + tax.

Yeah I’ll probably be there by this weekend or so.

tater_salad posted:

Is there a project you MUST do NOW, kuz it's still going to snow this week where I am.

Not really, I’ve just wanted one for awhile and I got the itch to have it now now now

But I also need to save a bunch of cash to go back to college, so...

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Khizan posted:

For something like a brad nailer I think battery wins hands down. If I just want to tack up a bit of trim I don't want to have to drag the compressor into the house, fire it up, and deal with the hose, only to have to reverse the entire process to put everything away after doing one strip of trim. I actually have a compressor powered brad nailer and the last time I could have used it I ended up doing the nails manually with a little 7oz hammer and a nail set just to avoid that process.

I have my pancake compressor within arm’s reach at the moment and the plans for the shop are to have a (small) installed one with hoses out towards the workspace. And all that’ll probably be cheaper than buying two battery nailers (I’m in DeWalt land, RIP my wallet). I get why they’re so expensive, but they’re really expensive by comparison.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Mr. Mambold posted:

Harbor Freight has entered the chat
The idea of anything that is made by HF and is also sharp and spinning at thousands of RPM near one's body is not comforting.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

The idea of anything that is made by HF and is also sharp and spinning at thousands of RPM near one's body is not comforting.

If you think their miter saws are scary let me tell you about all of the HF angle grinders I've got!

(honestly they're pretty drat good.....amazing for the price. But like all HF stuff you have to take it apart as soon as you take it out of the box and complete assembly/repair it. I've got one HF grinder that lasted over 10 years. For the grinders specifically you need to crack them open and remove the chinese gutter honey they put in there where the grease should go. While you're doing that you clean out all of the casting swarf and other metal bits that were going to trash the drivetrain. And then put in some decent grease. Re-assemble and cross your fingers. If it makes it 30 minutes it will probably make it for a real long time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
After 4 years of living in this rental house I've been trimming the hedges with good old fashioned shears and I finally had enough. I went out and bought an 18v Ryobi 22" hedge trimmer (all my other tools are ryobi) and finished all the hedges in an hour with cleanup vs a whole day and tired arms/hands. It was definitely my least sexy tool purchase but it makes my life easier and the chores quicker so to me, its a godsend.

My wife tried second guessing if it was worth the $100. One weekend day is well worth more than $100 when I could be doing something else with my time like hiking/dirt biking/skiing. I wasn't sure if the brushless was worth the extra cash but the one I got did all our bushes on a single charge on a 3 amp hour battery.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Verman posted:

After 4 years of living in this rental house I've been trimming the hedges with good old fashioned shears and I finally had enough. I went out and bought an 18v Ryobi 22" hedge trimmer (all my other tools are ryobi) and finished all the hedges in an hour with cleanup vs a whole day and tired arms/hands. It was definitely my least sexy tool purchase but it makes my life easier and the chores quicker so to me, its a godsend.

My wife tried second guessing if it was worth the $100. One weekend day is well worth more than $100 when I could be doing something else with my time like hiking/dirt biking/skiing. I wasn't sure if the brushless was worth the extra cash but the one I got did all our bushes on a single charge on a 3 amp hour battery.

Hedge trimmers seem to be pretty battery efficient. I have a dewalt 20v one that I spent an hour or so using to trim every hedge I could find in our yard and it only knocked 1 bar off the battery charge when I was done with it. The dewalt string trimmer on the other hand, blasted through the battery in no time.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

If you think their miter saws are scary let me tell you about all of the HF angle grinders I've got!

(honestly they're pretty drat good.....amazing for the price. But like all HF stuff you have to take it apart as soon as you take it out of the box and complete assembly/repair it. I've got one HF grinder that lasted over 10 years. For the grinders specifically you need to crack them open and remove the chinese gutter honey they put in there where the grease should go. While you're doing that you clean out all of the casting swarf and other metal bits that were going to trash the drivetrain. And then put in some decent grease. Re-assemble and cross your fingers. If it makes it 30 minutes it will probably make it for a real long time.

I munged two angle grinders from HF; third one's a beast. I did this song-and-dance on all three, and I 100% agree. I only paid for one grinder (minus the half-ish hour for the rebuild and two trips to the store). It's been going for ten years now: I'm actually on my second set of brushes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

Their wet tile saw, which has a 12" iirc, diamond blade spinning pretty fast justifies all the lovely tools they put out. My understanding also is that they've got a better QC and overall quality line of saws branded Hercules than they used to. But, I'm not touting them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Verman posted:

My wife tried second guessing if it was worth the $100.

This poo poo always boggles me. Time is the one true irreplaceable resource, and that tool will save you that much time whenever you need to do this particular chore. It's not just one weekend day, it's every weekend day it saves you from now until the tool dies.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I got a brand new Husqvarna 26” 40V trimmer for $5 from Lowe’s because it was on the clearance shelf and got marked down after that as well, or something to that effect. Nothing wrong with it, just no box or battery. Wasn’t the display piece or anything, everyone in the store was baffled, but it rang up so they gave it to me. It’s normally about $200 I think? $250? Something like that. Love it. I already had extra batteries and chargers from other Husqvarna tools.

That’s all, that’s my story, just wanted to share.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bad Munki posted:

I got a brand new Husqvarna 26” 40V trimmer for $5 from Lowe’s because it was on the clearance shelf and got marked down after that as well, or something to that effect. Nothing wrong with it, just no box or battery. Wasn’t the display piece or anything, everyone in the store was baffled, but it rang up so they gave it to me. It’s normally about $200 I think? $250? Something like that. Love it. I already had extra batteries and chargers from other Husqvarna tools.

That’s all, that’s my story, just wanted to share.

Dads posting their W's

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

canyoneer posted:

Dads posting their W's

Guilty as charged

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got one.
Helped my old man tile his living room. Estimated the materials (accounting for waste and cuts) perfectly down to literally the last tile, and didn't have to make a second trip to the hardware store.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Dads posting their W's

I just picked up a Bosch 9 gallon hepa vacuum marked down to $170 from $500 at my local Lowes. Only took me peering up at the stacks near the shop vacs on three separate occasions to find the box, which was covered in dust.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Danhenge posted:

I just picked up a Bosch 9 gallon hepa vacuum marked down to $170 from $500 at my local Lowes. Only took me peering up at the stacks near the shop vacs on three separate occasions to find the box, which was covered in dust.

My friend, I was driving through the country and saw a 10 gallon shop vac on the side of the road for trash pickup. Took it home and replaced a screw in the switch for $0 and it is still going strong a decade on

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

canyoneer posted:

I got one.
Helped my old man tile his living room. Estimated the materials (accounting for waste and cuts) perfectly down to literally the last tile, and didn't have to make a second trip to the hardware store.

You like to live dangerously. I was renovating a bathroom and screwed up my tile estimate, so I had about 50% of a wall done when I ran out. Went to the tile store, the style was sold out and discontinued. Ran home and scraped all of the tiles off before the mortar could totally set. I bet the trash guys hated me putting out buckets full of blobbed together tile for weeks.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

My friend, I was driving through the country and saw a 10 gallon shop vac on the side of the road for trash pickup. Took it home and replaced a screw in the switch for $0 and it is still going strong a decade on

That was mine. It was 25 years old at that point and its last job was sucking up poo poo water from an old man's bathroom (NOT MINE!) I figured it was time to pay it forward.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mr. Mambold posted:

That was mine. It was 25 years old at that point and its last job was sucking up poo poo water from an old man's bathroom (NOT MINE!) I figured it was time to pay it forward.

Liar, it was my old vacuum. I used it for sucking up jizz at my old job at the porn booths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

We're currently dealing with cleaning up a small former dressing/storeroom at home which has paint-over wallpaper, so of course I put an edge on one of the scrapers to get under the paint and boy howdy is it working better