Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like a good snowblower and a good piece of land too. Can’t imagine wanting to shovel that for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

California Air question: Will the 8 gallon model run a Dynafile alright or would it need a portable tank added to get anything done?

The specs on the Dynafile aren't really clear, but I imagine the 8-gallon would struggle to keep up. Just going by intuition on its air needs though.

I'd be curious to hear from someone with a bit more expertise, as I'm getting an 8-gallon myself. I really only intend to use it for blowing air, inflating tires, and running a nailer, but if I could stretch it a bit further I certainly wouldn't mind.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I could see something like that running into issues with how hard a lot of cordless tools are treated. A 6 foot ladder drop doesn't phase my Makita/Dewalt/Ridgid 18v gear, but I'd be afraid of something like that shattering.

https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2016/09/dewalt-20v-max-30ah-battery-pack.html?m=1

Feel better now?

I swear I saw a DIY magazine a couple years ago where a dude even rebuilt one. I’d be all for a safely repairable pack.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've taken to wearing ear plugs whenever I've got power tools out. It helps me concentrate and the ears are happier too. I've never used a hydraulic driver, but they certainly look nice. Are they any easier on your hands?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pershing posted:

So what do y'all think about this DeWalt toolkit at Costco?

I have a lot of bits and pieces of hand me down tools with missing pieces here and there .. I'd like to get one set that whole to replace them. Does this look good or is there a better option? This is for home use and some light car maintenance.

I like the looks of it for sure. A kit like that should be a good start for what you’re doing. Crescent and MasterForce make pretty similar kits, and I think they’d do just as well.

But yeah, get one of those, a hammer or two, some pliers and you’d be off to a fine start for hand tools.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A power shovel might work. I’ve got a really similar setup (MN too), and I don’t know how useful one would be for the sidewalks. It looks like it’d just blow snow on everyone else’s stretch. It would be nice for the driveway though. So maybe a corded one would be OK.

In any case, looks like Snapper and Snow Joe make cordless versions. Neither would offer much for other tool compatibility, but I don’t think any of the dominant brands make a power shovel honestly.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a leaf blower would only work for very fluffy, powdery snow that has just fallen. if it's wetter snow, or if it's sat there for a while and compacted, or if someone has walked through it, or if any freeze-then-melt has happened, a leaf blower will be useless

When I said "sidewalks" previously I was referring just to walkways around the house. For some weird reason my street is one of the only ones around here where there isn't a proper sidewalk that runs along the street, so I wouldn't be shoveling anything into the neighbors' yards. Also a bunch of the big tool brands do make power shovels, you just have to dig around on their websites.

Sure, no worries, just didn't want to fuel neighborly disputes with a power tool.

Anyway, I'm still not seeing them (except for the Ryobi). Can you link them here? The one concern I have is that they'd be 40V batteries or something else that wouldn't be compatible with the manufacturers' other lines of tools, like the Ryobi. It'd work out if you were interested in their other tools, and this thread seems generally fond of them in situations where you've only got a small lot to take care of.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

If anyone, my dad is the one who's got the garage full of random poo poo that might fit. But the plague means I haven't been down to visit him for a while. Its not a huge rush, its for a sling swivel mount that goes around the bottom barrel of a shotgun. I ain't going hunting anytime soon so I don't need it now, but I'd like to get it out of the way..

Boltdepot.com might be worth checking out. Probably more cost effective to make it part of an order from them, but they’d do it I think.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Almost ordered from there yesterday but they don't ship to Canuckistania.

Public health insurance, but no Bolt Depot? :canada:

I'd ship 'em to you FWIW.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Awww! Thanks goony!
I might have to take you up on that offer later on, but for now I'm not in a hurry.
I do appreciate that you'd help out a random internet person though.:glomp:

What kind of goon would I be if I wouldn’t be willing to do that?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Erwin posted:

Is California Air Tools still the go-to for compressors? I just need something to fill tires and maybe run a brad nailer once in a while.

Possibly related - if I need a buffing wheel for a boat, I assume electric is the way to go if I don’t want to buy a compressor with a massive reservoir for that once a year job?

I like my California Air Tools compressor, and I picked that up last year. I would give some thought to the battery-powered alternatives as cakesmith said. Maybe even a Vlair for the inflator if you wanted to save a little cash.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any suggestions for a miter saw stand? I think it’d be nice if it could tuck away, so I’m guessing I’m looking at portable ones in that case. Really only need it occasionally, but I could spend a bit more if it was worth the money. Some possibilities are below.

Ryobi: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Universal-Miter-Saw-QUICKSTAND-A18MS01G/205642391

Wen: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Collapsible-Rolling-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-3-Onboard-Outlets-MSA330/306588128

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Is the 40V Ryobi String Trimmer as great as it looks? I don’t need any other lawn tools right now, but I do want a string trimmer, and it looks like kind of a home run price wise. Could see myself getting a mower if my Snapper ever gave up the ghost too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool, it's between that and the M18 Milwaukee deal, since I already have an M18 tool. But this is less expensive, and the 40V system looks more complete in comparison for lawn stuff.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I ended up getting a plug-in Black & Decker for free, so we'll see how that goes. I know I don't love cords, but I've got nothing to lose giving this a try. That Ryobi will be on my mind though. :smith:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Anyone have a review on their compressors and/or brad nailers?

Nothing recent, but my dad been using his Porter Cable tank and nailer for years. It’s really never disappointed, and has hung up plenty of trim.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Planting kudzu gets rid of most grass if you give it a lil time. Works great, though I wouldn't recommend a square shovel to plant it. Probably just a regular ol' spade.

E: for actual tool chat, I'm trying to keep an eye out for deals on sockets and/or ratchets separate or together, idc. Just 3/8 drive is fine, I rarely need 1/2 drive and will borrow it from the shop if I need it. Don't even know how much I want to spend but I know I'll need em at some point.

Tekton is a solid choice too. I don’t think they do deals too often, but their prices aren’t bad. You’d probably be just fine with anything here: https://www.tekton.com/hand-drive-sockets?individual-set=set&drive-size=3-8-in

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I love my Channel Locks. I really only own one pair, but I’d be curious to know how old a couple in the orbit of my life are too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Knipex are great, but I still like the Channel Locks for their simplicity and sturdiness. Not that Knipex lacks either really, I just don’t get on that well with the push button adjustment ones.

Edit: I’m a southpaw and that’s no small part of my gripes I realized. :-(

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 31, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

RE: Amazon Carburetors

Seconding the endorsement. I revived an abandoned '80s Toro snowblower with nothing but a cheap carburetor and some TrueFuel.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

I've been considering getting an oscillating multi tool. Main purpose is to dig out the caulking around the windows at my dad's house and redo it. Its 20 + years old and starting to get cracks and whatnot.

Is there a specific type of blade to use for something like this? The bottom is some sort of concrete block, not like cinder blocks, but the type you typically find under windows (duh), the sides are brick and the top is...... I forget. Probably metal to hold up the bricks around the top, but then possibly vinyl or maybe some aluminum trim type stuff.

Not sure about the frames of the windows themselves, I *think* they're aluminum, but maybe Vinyl as well.

No experience with these things, so I have no idea what types of blades are available for them or what I should be looking for..

Is there something available like there is for a sawzall, where the blade fits the shank and then its shaped kinda like a wide putty knife?

There are things like this: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWA4235-Caulk-Removing-Oscillating/dp/B01GLGFZQK

I've never tried one, but that does seem about right, and I know I've seen other blades (for OMTs) advertise that they can be used for caulking removal.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Some Menard’s locations do tool rentals too. It wouldn’t hurt to check at least.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Calidus posted:

I am intrigued by wall mount shop vacs. I already have one shop vac, but moving it around between my tools is annoying, and I would really like to have a hose above my work piece rather than below it. Mounting one near my work bench then having another on wheels seems ideal. My work space is in my garage and I can’t really justify setting up a dust collection system.

I’d say go for it. There’s a RIDGID out there that is exactly that. It’d be handy for sure, but two is probably as many shop vacs as I can own without being ridiculed unfortunately.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Final Blog Entry posted:

Anyone had to replace a Ryobi 18v tool under warranty? I bought the little 3gal wet/dry vac online from Home Depot in January and it was great but died last weekend when using it to suck out my AC pan. Do I need to hit up Ryobi or Home Depot or can I just stroll in to Depot and get it replaced if I have the order info in my email?

I don’t have any personal experience, but it sounds like you will have to mail the tool to one of their service centers: https://7f7438230ad9aa9f6f7e-b4cfc3cf83746135bc53124f4d31460d.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/pdfs/warranties/ryobi_power_tool_warranty_trilingual.pdf

Source: https://www.ryobitools.com/support/warranties

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The drain valve on my California Air Tools compressor doesn’t drain anymore. Is it suitable to use a blower attachment to drain it instead?

I haven’t tried it in >32F temps, so it might be a seasonal thing, rather than something I can replace.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

so did gorilla re-invent the ladder for $100 less or should i just buy the regular werner

Give us a link and tell us what you’re trying to do. I bought a multi-position one of theirs that is decent, but it wouldn’t be my first choice when an A-frame would do.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 18, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

So you haven't tried the drain valve when the water you wanted to drain was in a liquid state? Yeah, Id' think that would be your problem right there.

Hehe, yeah when you spell it out like that, sure. Still, better than nothing to use the blower attachment when the valve is frozen?

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i need up on the roof, probably a 16 over a 12 to be safe

In that case a multi-position ladder might be a good choice. A decent extension ladder would be sturdier, but a Gorilla should get you on and off your roof. If it was something you anticipated doing frequently, I’d lean toward an extension ladder, but for occasional use they are acceptable in my experience. Be careful of overhead lines as they are aluminum.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That all makes pretty good sense. It definitely was a freezing issue, as I was able to drain it just now. I will make a note to bring it inside though in the winter too. :-)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think M12 is a nice balance between the two worlds. A little lighter duty and cheaper than M18, but still pretty great. Ryobi makes plenty of fine stuff, but it’s not quite on the same level. If you don’t care though, that’s fine and there are definitely cases where you shouldn’t, more so with AC powered stuff.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Motion thirded. Let your dreams become reality, all. I have begun my search.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

When I say the bit "wobbled" I mean that the shaft visibly moved from side to side any time I pulled the trigger, even when it wasn't actually drilling into anything. And yes it wobbled when I drilled with it too. It was unsettling.

Check if the bit itself is bent. My spade bits, though nothing special, do not noticeably wobble. It doing the same in a 1/4” hex chuck should rule out it being misaligned in the chuck, but be careful of that too. I’d definitely try to figure out what’s going on before using them.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Why tf is the M12 die or right-angle grinder so drat expensive? Brushless motor, electronic control board, gearset = $189 tool only???

Also, of the two which would you get, the right-angle grinder right? The DeWalt 20v is almost the same price but the in-line design seems a little less useful and it's bulky.

I’m already in the M12 ecosystem, but the DeWalt does not hold much appeal regardless. This is another one where I’d search around eBay and the like first, then probably just pay up if you need the tool.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I get those little hex bit drivers stuck all the time in my impact driver. Usually whacking it on the side breaks it loose.

Are you (and the people I’ve seen with similar questions) not using a bit holder? Something like this: https://m.northerntool.com/shop/too...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ve always thought it was the proper way with the short bits. I did try a short bit in my driver, and it seems like it would work, but I think I’ll stick to my ways. Also, you really should use impact-rated bits. Treat yourself.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Still working on my chainsaw, took a detour because I had to get my old bead blasting setup working and it's only sorta working.

Everything is more or less cleaned, crank seals replaced, piston ring replaced. Cylinder cleaned out.

Cylinder and muffler got bead blasted and then heat curing paint. The cylinder is not black from factory, but black bodies radiate infrared much better, so it should help a little. Probably not gonna see a difference but it looks nicer.

Made a new cylinder gasket too, will add some extra protection by applying a thin smear of hylomar.

Also new fuel lines, but the fuel filter is still original, it was still good, just let old varnish dissolve, it's sintered brass or bronze, basically won't wear out if you can clean it.

What a beaut. Keep it up.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

Actually have a fat wrench and instantly regretted not using it. But, even last time I used it at 30 I could barely tell it clicked, so doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Is that typical of this style or just an issue with my specific wrench?

The Tekton wrenches linked earlier have a fairly prominent click. The smallest of them you feel more than you hear, but it’s there. It is still important to use one appropriate for the torque spec, but you likely can do better.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Wera might be worth checking out too. At least some have nice colorful bands and pretty large size etchings. The 3/8” and 1/4” set I’ve got have been great for carrying around for handyman and auto repair type stuff. Plenty of kit, but it’s not necessarily a completionist’s set. I can post some links from KCTool.com later.

1/2” SAE: https://www.kctool.com/wera-004079-zyklop-speed-ratchet-1-2-drive-sae-set/
Metric Tool Check: https://www.kctool.com/wera-073220-tool-check-1-sb-bit-ratchet-set-with-sockets-metric/

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 9, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Can you replace a fiberglass hammer handle with a wood one? One way or the other, could anyone point me in the direction of a decent replacement for this?

Found in a shopping cart, so I’m hopeful but not fixated on fixing it up.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Wow. Bit envy is real. Are those metric Allen bits in there?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I got a soldering mat so I can stop burning holes in the kitchen table. We’ll see how that works out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sure is one unhappy website though. Be patient, fellow Ryobi fanatics. Or maybe just abandon all hope.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 27, 2023