Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Awesome thread.

I sold off a lot of my tools to finance life after a divorce (and I didnt need tools in an apartment), but am in the process of buying a house and need to build my kit back up. Its been a decade since I went tool shopping, so I am a bit behind on what's new and cool.

First and foremost, is the Milwaukee 7 1/4 inch circular saw still the top of the homeowner-grade heap? I never bothered buying a table saw becasue that plus a couple of clamps and a straight board were all I needed for household stuff, including building a couple of mdf cabinets and a new porch.

Also, is the tried and true extension ladder still the best workhorse, or have telescoping and multi-section adjustable (Little Giant type) ladders improved to the point that my 6'4 260lb rear end can be comfortable/safe on one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
While we're on mower chat, my new house has 1.5 acres that I really don't feel like mowing with a push-behind. Does anyone have recommendations for a ride-on that that is reliable and mows grass well but that doesn't have a whole bunch of wannabe tractor or luxury crap on it?

I'm looking for "will mow the grass and start every time I try to start it" far more than "has three cup holders, a heated seat, and can be fitted with a plow blade."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Compressor chat:

Has anyone replaced the pressure switch on one of the Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake compressors before? Mine's not turning off and is popping the safety valve, and this seems to be the most likely culprit. The compressor unit seems like a pain in the rear end to service since it's basically a plastic monolith attached to the top of the tank, but it clearly can be done since parts are for sale online for it. I'm annoyed because it's only about 5 years old, and hasn't seen tons of use.

Tool storage:

Now that I've got a workbench set up in my new house, I need a tool chest. I used to have a beautiful craftsman one, but I don't want to spend that much cash right now. I was looking at this husky one, and it's surprisingly solid for $100 (on-line price is higher, weirdly): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-in-6-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet-Set-Black-C-296BF16/203420937. I could eventually see needing a middle set of drawers, but for now, I think that would do just fine.

Are there any brands/types to avoid? I know that I want something with ball bearing sliders, since the ones without (like the low-end craftsman ones) are just horrid and feel like they want to drop all of my tools on my toes, but there's a ton of price variability in what is basically a metal chest of drawers. I don't need a closet-sized one for mechanics' tools, just for home stuff, and it's going to sit in one spot in my basement.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
If you're waiting till black Friday anyway, you may just want to pick up whatever tools the have on sale that come with batteries. My DeWalt collection has extra batteries and chargers because I picked up a black friday drill kit with two (or maybe one, i forget) batteries and a charger for $99, and a black friday impact driver for somewhere around $100 too.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

dyne posted:

I try to use cordless whenever I can as cords suck.

I use my impact driver the most and you should definitely be getting one. I also use my drill and jobmax with the sawzall head quite a bit. I don't have a cordless circular saw, but it's not unusual for me to forgo using my corded one because I didn't want to get it out.

I've been happy with my Ridgid stuff, but if I were buying new tools I'd probably go with Milwaukee or Makita due to the number of tools they have.

Seconding this. I've got a mix of both, and unless I need it for a heavy-duty job (like pulling out my corded sawzall to demo a porch, for example), my corded stuff generally stays on the shelf. I've got a very similar set to the one Onion Knight posted, and added a black friday drill mostly for the extra batteries and charger, and it's served me well for 10 years.

The only corded tool I've used with any regularly since then is my circular saw, but even then, I love the cordless one for little jobs.

So I guess it comes down to personal preference? Do you prefer dealing with extension cords and having more power, or do you prefer making sure batteries are charged and having more freedom of movement?

As an aside, my dad, brothers, and I literally built a house with a combo of cordless and pneumatic tools, and I can't remember any of us standing around waiting for batteries to charge or wishing we had more power.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Mr. Mambold posted:

He could do youtubes of different saws with meat and why they're a bad idea? "Now take this cordless DeWalt jigsaw, for example. You're in the field and have brought down a 12 point buck....

Your butcher uses a barely-modified bandsaw for a LOT of his work: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-1-2-x-70-1-2-floor-model-vertical-band-saw-with-98-blade-2-hp-220v/915B34.html

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Anyone have an opinion on a roofing hammer?

I need to re-do a shed roof this weekend, and while I've done a house roof before with a shovel, a crowbar, a chalk line, and a framing hammer, this one is a barn-style roof, so I'm going to be doing it all from a ladder and want the most efficient/helpful tool to do it.

I'm looking at the Stanley Fat Max (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-54-02...=roofing+hammer), which seems like a good combo of "not completely crap" and "not a $100 tool for professional roofers" but I'm wondering if any of you have favorites.

I'm willing to spend up to $50, but since my lifetime average is about one roof per decade, I'd rather spend less than more.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Josh Lyman posted:

I wanted to get a 25' tape measure and ended up getting a 26'/8m Stanley LeverLock because some inane part of me thinks I might need metric someday.
I got a metric tape because a lot of picture frames, shelves, etc seem to be measured in metric and I got sick of having to figure out measurements like 12 and 13/16th inches between the screws for things that hang with a keyhole. So far things seem to be about 1/3 metric, 1/3 imperial, and 1/3 completely lacking in any logical measurement.

Day later edit to avoid double posting: I'm looking for a new circular saw to replace my 80s vintage Milwaukee that has seen better days. Is the extra torque and control of a worm drive saw worth the extra weight and price increase? I've always used a sidewinder, but the layout and additional power of a worm drive seems pretty appealing.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 25, 2015

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Is compactness when storing or transportability important? If so then that style is good. Otherwise you should save some money and make your own out of wood, like the super sturdy woodgears design.

Yeah, unless you really want them to fold and/or be portable, you can make about a dozen 2x4 ones for the price of a pair of those. And do stuff like run your circular saw right through them while cutting on them because fuckit.

I vastly underestimated how useful that last feature was until I moved from the metal folding kind to home made wood ones.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I've got the 6 gallon version and the pressure shutoff switch died after a few years of not-terribly-frequent use. Didn't stop me from buying another refurb one on woot to replace it, though.

I can definitely verify that its blow-out safety valve works just fine.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Motronic posted:

I absolutely love the Hansen trays. I would hate them if I didn't have the drawer space (they take a lot). So I think the recommendation depends on your use case/what space you have.
Seconding this. A full set of 3 socket sizes of SAE and metric sockets takes up and entire drawer, but I love that I can quickly just grab a few next to each other when I eyeball about what a nut's size is. I had the metal nub kind that you pop on too, and gently caress those things. I've never had a situation where I want to take an entire stick of sockets with me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Splizwarf posted:

Clearly your cars are far too new. :colbert:
I work on them in the garage with my toolbox.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Rotten Cookies posted:

Plus, free tools is free tools.
This. That very saw was the workhorse of the family garage growing up, and I only recently got rid of it after my dad passed it along to me. I wouldn't say it's great at anything (except cutting big dados), but it's good enough for many, many things.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Walked posted:

This is true. But already ordered the impact driver.

I personally use spade bits and an impact driver whenever I'm going through joists for plumbing/wiring not only because it's more compact, but because it won't get bogged down. This gets critical for old houses where the wood can be super hard. As a bonus, it seems like this setup makes much coarser sawdust, which falls straight down and doesn't get on everything.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Sagebrush posted:

Running without the proper premix would certainly blow the engine up in an hour or less though.
Ask me why I don't use identical gas cans any more, and why I gas up my new chainsaw from a can with "MIX" written on it in huge letters. :downs:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Crotch Fruit posted:

just wondering if anyone knows if the color coding is for more just looks.
It's so some chucklefuck doesn't pour the wrong clear-ish, flammable petroleum liquid into the the wrong tank.

Edit: Tying these two threads together, why doesn't someone make a striped, or purple, or polka dot, or neon green, or whatever container for two cycle mix gas? You'd think there would be a standard for that too.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 7, 2016

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

wormil posted:

Best budget saw IMO is Hitachi. Stretch your budget a little and get the 12".
I did some coupon/sale stacking and got the Hitachi 10 inch saw for under $100 at Lowes ($89, maybe?). It's a great little saw for the money, and my only complaint with it is that it's loud as hell compared to my old DeWalt.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

sharkytm posted:

Just FYI, those are JIS screws, which don't cam out
Maybe not, but they drill out real nice like, since they rust solid to the hubs any place where they salt the roads in the winter.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

uwaeve posted:

Plus there's no luxury like having the drill to do pilot holes and then grab the impact driver to buzz poo poo in.
I've had the occasional project where three drills and an impact driver all have different bits in them. It makes two people working together so much more efficient.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Tim Thomas posted:

Place compressor in one place, buy 100ft 3/8" air hose, problem solved.
Place compressor outside the door/window and use your 100 feet of hose throughout the house. Enjoy relative quiet no matter how loud the compressor.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Platystemon posted:

This one weird trick neighbors HATE!
Maybe. But it beats working in the same room as the compressor. Just try to avoid doing it at 2AM.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I've got a Remington from home depot that I am very happily surprised with. Its not a Stihl (I've used three different models of high-end Stihls, and they are bombproof), but it was cheap and runs/cuts fine.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Tool fight time:

I've already got the usual power tool kit (multiple drills/drivers, sawzall, oscillating cutter, circular saws, angle grinder, compressor/nailers, sanders, etc), and I'm wondering which would be the more useful next tool: a router/table, or a jigsaw. I'm not doing any fancy woodwork, but I'm a step above weekend warrior homeowner maintenance. I do things like make custom wall shelves and things like that, but nothing that would be confused with fine woodworking.

This came up because I'm looking to hang some old fancy windows on the wall, and it would be nice to have a router so that I could use keyhole hangers instead of alligators. But a few weeks ago I wished I had a jigsaw because I had to make some not-straight, not-a-circle cuts in wood.

I'll eventually own both, but which is overall more useful, a jigsaw or a router?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

B-Nasty posted:

Another thing to consider might be price. Since a jigsaw isn't a frequent/heavy use tool, I think you're fine with a <$40 model. I personally use one of the "orange and blacks" (corded), and for my limited use, I've never had any issues. There's probably no need to drop $200+ on a yellow/blue/red cordless model for a tool that will probably be used for 5 minutes then put back on the shelf for a few weeks.
This a great point that I hadn't thought about, since I've all but given up on not yellow/blue/red tools.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Battered Cankles posted:

It will suck less if you use an extra length of 1 1/4 vac hose.
This. And duct tape the hose to the outlet on the sander to keep it in place so you don't rip the sander off the hose constantly.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Mr. Mambold posted:

Don't use an electric sander, idiot. Use what the pros use, what's already been suggested- a pole block sander.
I've had to sand the poo poo out of old plaster after removing wallpaper and can't imagine doing it by hand. Electric is overkill on drywall and joint compound, but old plaster can be like cement.

Oh, and if I had to do it again, I would have just hired someone to do a skim coat. gently caress sanding 90 year old horsehair plaster. Guess it could have been worse, it could have been 60 year old asbestos fiber plaster.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Just got this guy for $25 as an open box deal at Lowes because somebody managed to lose its nut. Luckily I'm 95% positive that the one off my cordless will fit, and if not, it's a $5 replacement part.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/angle-grinders-ag40-85p-46786-p/

So excited to actually have some power in my grinder. The cordless dewalt was nice for small jobs, but went through batteries like you wouldn't believe for anything major. Wire brushing the rust off 4-5 feet of a basketball hoop's post took 3 batteries.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Falco posted:

Amazon has a Dewalt 20V Brushless Compact Drill and Impact combo kit for $189. I haven't been following these deals very closely, but for brushless it seems like a pretty good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK28...JXCY3JMGK62D2DT
Is 20V a huge improvement from the 18V? I've got like 8 tools in the 18v, and I am trying to figure out if it's time to start stockpiling batteries, or time to begin the switch out to 20v as I find deals and my batteries start to die.

Just stashing some 18V batteries for posterity is the cheaper option (and besides, who doesn't like owning 10 drills since it's cheaper to buy a drill with two batteries and a charger on black friday than two batteries regularly), but if there's a huge improvement in the newer tools, it's worth the marginal cost for new tools.

Also, my OMT sits on the shelf a lot more than other tools. But when it gets used, it's undeniably the best tool for the job.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Whelp, that answers that. Battery stockpiling will continue.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
If you're not looking for a universe of tools, the dewalts are pretty bombproof, and it seems like 90% of contractors use their drills/drivers.

But as said above, they do not have the sheer number of specialty tools that Milwaukee/riobi has.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Iv'e got this one. It's fine for what it is, and for $100 is a pretty good deal just for the compressor alone. That airhose looks like hot garbage, though (thin and shiny are usually not a great combo in rubber-coated things), so you'll probably end up buying another one anyway.

It not going to give you a ton of air, but for nailers, it's fine. 6 gal at 2.6 CFM isn't poo poo for anything needing constant air. I use it to blow off dust when I'm refinishing things and I can get about 10 seconds using the little blower attachment before the compressor kicks back on and stays on till I'm done.

For what it's worth, I'm on my second one. The shut-off switch died on my first one after a few years and it was going to be such a pain in the rear end to replace that spending $130 on a new one was preferable. My next compressor will be a decent-sized one from California Air Tools, though.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
If you insert them correctly (watch this: https://youtu.be/8vHP8K3BsrA) even the cheapest foamies offer enough protection, and you dont have to worry about masks, muffs, and goggles banging around your face.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's what I thought too when replacing my pc pancake compressor, which was just barely limping along, but I'm glad I did--huge quality of life improvement. I barely used the old one because it was excessively loud and the safety valve popped at a low psi draining the tank if left unattended, just a real piece of garbage.

I wish I had gotten the California air tools one, but the black friday oiled craftsman model has also been pretty great, and wound up being half the cost after miscellaneous discounts
Anecdote != evidence, but my dad has one of the water-heater sized craftsman compressors hard-plumbed into his barn/garage/woodshop and it's been a workhorse for him for more than a decade. Not exactly quiet, but it does its job and doesn't complain. He runs everything from impact wrenches to paint guns to just using it to blow dust off his wood tools.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Mr. Mambold posted:

Sell a few more pints of blood and get a 5" Porter Cable. Mine's gone through 2 pads and a cord now. It's about 20 years old.

This. Have had my porter cable for a decade plus and it's utterly fantastic. I routinely use it to refinish furniture the hard way and generally abuse the hell out of it, and it never complains.

On the other end, got a $30 B&D jigsaw for xmas and took it for a test drive on a pinewood derby blank yesterday and it was. . . not terrible. At all. Thanks to whoever in here recommended just going with the cheap one for the couple times a year I'd use it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Just be sure to close your bottle when you're done, because I have yet to see air hose/fittings that don't leak a little. Sometimes leading to the dog barking at 2AM because the compressor kicked on in the garage.

Edit for breaking news: Not that Crafstman has been anything but crappy this millennium, but Sears is selling the brand to B&D: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/05/sears-kmart-stanley-black-decker-craftsman/96191312/

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 5, 2017

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Other way around. DeWalt has been owned by B&D since 1960.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Makes sense. Having different names for your economy line and your fancier line is like Marketing 101.

For what its worth, I got my kids a toolbox full of fairly cheap Stanley stuff (B&D's merged owner) so I wouldn't be pissed when they inevitably lost things and they're honestly not terrible tools. Miles better than Champion or whatever dollar bin crap is out there for not much more cash.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 5, 2017

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Not sure about a single piece of 2x4, but I recently had to take down a 35-ish foot pine that was also leaning the wrong way (toward the neighbors and the electric wires).

Hammered three pieces of rebar into the lawn at an angle, tied an old climbing rope about 25 feet up the trunk (as high as I could go on my ladder), attached the rope to a heavy-duty cam strap and then pulled on it as hard as I could and wove the cam strap through the three pieces of rebar like winding string through your fingers to spread the load a bit. Cammed it down till it was good and tight, since climbing rope has a fair amount of elasticity, and cut away. Tree fell just where I wanted it to and fell with maybe 1 inch of wood left to get through between the relief cut (which was pretty oversize to encourage it to fall that way) and the felling cut. Going to do the exact same thing next summer to the lovely tree that is still standing next to where that one was.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Motronic posted:

Please please please please stop using chrome sockets on an impact.
Me: "I don't need impact rated sockets for this 18v cordless impact driver. It can't have that much that much torque. I can just use my chrome ones"

Time passes and I successfully use them for a while.

My 12mm chrome socket while using my impact driver on a stubborn brake mount: "BANG"

Me: OWWWW!

Ordered an impact set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I installed siding one summer in college (in the 90s before cheap compound miter saws were everywhere) and we had this commercially-made mutant cousin of a black and decker workmate that was designed to turn a circular saw into a ghetto table saw. I can't remember how it dealt with the trigger issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if zip ties were involved. It had a switch on the leg that you plugged the saw into, almost like a real table saw.

Using it for anything other than quick cross cuts on siding would have sucked, but it wasn't awful, and let a bunch of college chucklefucks make decent cuts.