Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Cross-posting from the home ownership thread.

If anyone isn't already bought into a power tool system, Home Depot has a killer deal going on right now in their stores. Check the website to see if your location has this item:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...P1837/305439006

If they do, you can get it and any two items from an extensive list of bare tools and batteries for $199 total. That's 5 tools and two batteries for under $200.

You can also use this deal to expand your tool collection. When you buy a multiple tool deal like this in store, the receipt should list a maximum refund value, which is based on the percentage of the total before the free tool discount. You can then return one or two of the items and get that amount back. Put simply, if you buy the kit and get two $99 tools for free, you can return the tools and get $50 a piece back bringing the kit to $100.

Truth be told, you can probably craigslist or eBay some of the extra tools for more than the return value, so that might be a better option as well.

I just bought this deal. Worth noting that these are all the new brushless tools. Haven't had time to compare performance, but the benefits of brushless sure sound great on paper. I went with the jigsaw and recip saw as my two adds for all the cutting power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I can't recommend the free ladder I found on the side of the road enough. It's an aluminum 6ft step ladder and has to weigh all of 5 lbs. It's rickety as all gently caress, but that is literally outweighed by the ability to pick it up with one hand. Like it's so light, it's ethereal.

Re: sawstop chat. I've had one for over a year and used it extensively in that time. I bought it used from a ~serious woodworker~ who had it for 4+ years. I'm sure it's never had the belt changed and it's on the original cartridge. I've had two faults, but both were caught at startup and just wouldn't allow the motor to turn on, but the cartridge didn't fire. As an engineer I think they are incredibly well thought out, the electronics controlling the thing are blindingly simple/stupid. There really isn't a lot that can go wrong.

NomNomNom fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 18, 2020

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t have a ton of cash to work with, so I can only really afford the 2.0 Ah battery that comes with the sprayer. I could afford to grab another battery if I was buying a smaller sprayer, but the 4-gallon Ryobi is the only battery sprayer my local Home Depot has in stock that comes with a battery and is within my price range. I’d prefer not to have to wait on shipping for something smaller, since I can’t really put off spraying my trees any longer than I already have.

FWIW I have the one gallon sprayer and use a 1.5ah battery with it, have always run out of fluid before the battery dies. I don't think the little motor takes that much juice.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah I have the Ryobi, model p2800. It works great for spraying anti mosquito juice all around my yard.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Where in the world do you live that that was worth $100?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I've been curious about the ryobi stick vac, but lots of reviews say it has clogging issues.

We also have a dyson v7 that is thoroughly meh, it doesn't replace a corded vac.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Mr. Mambold posted:

How you likey your Rikey so far? Does yours have a fence?

I have the 10-325 that I bought used. It's fine. The bearing guide is finicky to set up, the bearings ride on these spring-loaded rails, so you actually have to push the guide into the blade, tighten the set knob, and allow the backlash to pull the bearing back so it's just not touching. Otherwise it cuts woods good.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Hmmm will I still be able to export stl for 3d printing? That's really all I use it for.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Someone else can chime in, but the dewalt tablesaw is pretty much the best contractor saw out there. The fence adjustment mechanism is awesome. Can take a dado too.

Next step up would be the small sawstop IMO.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Speaking of ppe, I love my 3m earmuffs for hearing pro, but if I wear safety glasses with them the arms get pressed into my head and the ear cups get pushed out, letting in more noise. I don't want to choose between my ears and eyes (I'd choose eyes), so are there eye pro that can be worn with muffs comfortably? Are ear plugs the only solution?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have a home depot 15% coupon that expires today and I'm overwhelmed by possibilities! I'm sorely tempted by the Wen track saw, reviews make it seem like it doesn't suck?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Trying to use a dimple but for more than 20 screws sounds miserable. I just redid my 5x5 bathroom and I swear I had just as many good screws as ones where the bit slipped off and I punched a new hole next to my screw. Obviously not much more work to patch since you have to mud anyway but really frustrating.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the tiller attachment for my ryobi 40 volt weed eater, it works shockingly well. I though for sure it'd burn out in minutes. The attachment is actually generic for any flex shaft tool.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

I. M. Gei posted:

Now I’m thinking I’ll just loving abandon it though. What’s even the point?

That was the question though? Why do you want a spinning death wheel? If we can understand the purpose, just maybe we can help you with your questions.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'm right down the road and I'm going to be watching that auction like a hawk

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'll toss in my two cents. I picked up the ryobi brushless kit a few years ago and pounced on one of their buy two batteries get a free tool deals. Nothing I've bought has disappointed me, and the price is right. I gutted a bathroom and kitchen with the drill and driver, and do Serious Woodworking (tm) with the palm router. I have the sprayer for garden chemicals. I even have the 40v lawnmower, blower, and whacker.

(pic is a little outdated)

Only things I think I still want are the glue gun and Brad nailer.

I'll add that I did murder one brushless drill, but that because I attempted to mix a full bucket of mortar with a paddle attachment :v Home Depot replaced it with no questions.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

FCKGW posted:

Is there a recommended budget/entry level table saw? I have an old Ryobi I bought >10 years ago and it's trashed so I'd like to get something a little better. I have a bunch of DIY home projects planned this year but after that it will only will get used maybe once or twice a year normally. Looking to keep it under $400 if possible.

Pretty much every portable table saw sucks and is (more) dangerous. The exceptions are the Sawstop contractor saw (lol money) and the Dewalt portables.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Choice of screw definitely matters. Something like spax is self drilling and will chew right through your piece. A drywall screw will snap or the bit will cam out of the head. If you're using cheap screws you need to predrill a hole in your piece first to avoid splits.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
For some battery packs, you only really need to trick the charging logic on the charger. I know we've had some luck "refurbishing" our dewalt packs at work simply by shorting the terminals on the battery for a split second. Throw it on the charger and it works fine.

Don't quote me on that though.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

KKKLIP ART posted:

So if I want to start some basic woodworking and want to get a table say, is there a decent entry level table saw that will accept a dado blade for fun finger joint action?

One of the dewalt portables can take a dado and has a decent fence. Pretty much every other entry saw blows and is downright dangerous.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the harbor freight Hercules miter saw. $300 for a 12 in saw is awesome, and the quality on it seems surprisingly tight. No complaints.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

canyoneer posted:

I got one.
Helped my old man tile his living room. Estimated the materials (accounting for waste and cuts) perfectly down to literally the last tile, and didn't have to make a second trip to the hardware store.

You like to live dangerously. I was renovating a bathroom and screwed up my tile estimate, so I had about 50% of a wall done when I ran out. Went to the tile store, the style was sold out and discontinued. Ran home and scraped all of the tiles off before the mortar could totally set. I bet the trash guys hated me putting out buckets full of blobbed together tile for weeks.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the 40v brushless xpand it trimmer, works great, have never ran out a 4ah battery in my yard. I even got the cultivator head for the garden beds and it's pretty powerful.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I've been so impressed with my ryobi 40v stuff that I'm considering the 18" chainsaw. Anyone have any experience?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Just grab the $200 Ryobi, pretty sure mine goes up to 4". 1600 sq ft is nothing, go cheap.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yes, they make the truly excellent Veritas line of woodworking tools. I'm sure their house brand import stuff is at worst acceptable.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah my dude save 200 bones and skip the laser, you'll always be better off striking a pencil line and sneaking up on the perfect cut rather than trying to hit your line first try.

My question: I'm this close to buying the Ryobi 40v 18" chainsaw. I already have a bunch of 40v batteries. Mostly looking to buck up urban tree falls for woodturning blanks, so nothing too major. Anyone have any dire reasons to get something else? I really don't want to deal with gas if I don't absolutely have to (like if a Stihl fell in my lap).

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Trip report on the 18" Ryobi Brushless chainsaw. Bucked up some free logs, it cut them easily to make blanks for woodturning. I did not die.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the Ryobi weed whacker with a swappable head, picked up the tiller attachment last summer. Works great and the only thing that gave it any trouble were some viney roots that it would wrap up.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I bought a Dremel multi max like 5 months ago from Costco and the cord is having an issue and only sending intermittent power to the tool. I'm going to return it to Costco, but I still want an oscillating tool, but Costco doesn't have more in stock.

Anyone have experience with the Ryobi oscillating tool? My drill, impact driver, and circular saw are all Ryobi, so I already have a bunch of batteries and chargers for that tool ecosystem.

The ryobi is fine, it vibrates. In my experience the real performance factor is the blades for an oscillating tool, cheap ones are garbage and the use time is measure in seconds.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Hot mud is a cementious powder that the user mixes with water on site. It sets rapidly, in as little as 10 minutes. A pro can get multiple coats done very quickly. It's very handy to keep on hand for repair jobs because it won't go bad like the tubs will (if you keep it dry).

Biggest difference is because it cures instead of dries it can be used to fill large gaps and cracks without shrinking. Like you can stuff up to 1/2 cracks with hot mud. It comes in many setting time flavors, and in easy-sand versions.

Everything I've learned about drywall I've learned from the Vancouver Carpenter YouTube channel.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Izzy Swan (YouTube maker) just teased a vacuum drill press that uses the Grabo. Pretty neat stuff.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Heat gun and some moisture to soften the glue, then just pick at it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
This exists:
Ryobi strip sander

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We talking the 18v or the 40v? I have to imagine the the 18v is wimpy for all but the smallest lawns. I have the cheapest 40v mower, trimmer, blower, and chainsaw and they've all done me well.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Biggest problem with a keezer is that moisture builds up and leads to mold inside.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Lots of modern (read: not drywall) screws are self drilling and thus do not need to be predrilled. GRK and Spax are two common brands. Just brrrrrt them in.

Exception: close to the end of the boards or very soft or splintery woods like cedar. Always drill a pilot in cedar.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You've obviously never needed to renovate your house or prune large bushes or small trees. The Sawzall is king of demolition, you can cut through nails and all sort of poo poo. I cut a 4" cast iron drain with mine. I use it all the time in the garden too.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Habitat Restore haul of the century:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Literally A Ghost posted:

Okay Big Shot, tell us how cheap so we can all congratulate you.

Crap, thought I added that. $45 for the chest and $25 for the bandsaw.