Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Yes I can confirm the old Ryobi charger was overheating my batteries like it wouldn't automatically shut off. I got two lithium batteries with charger and my old batteries are back in rotation using the new charger. I've left them in for a week without getting hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I have a cheap little HVLP with a blower that shoots latex house paint just fine. It was the cheapest thing at Lowe's and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I wouldnt use it for all the walls because it's so small but I used it to paint closet shelving OK. I think they make bigger ones as well.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I think it is a steady rest.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
My dad retired and is selling his house so we're finding a lot of neat things as we pack everything. One of them we're not sure about; this aluminum tool. First look says pipe threader or chaser but then I think why aluminum? Has anybody seen one of these before?

More pics: http://imgur.com/a/5lFAn

bred
Oct 24, 2008

O cool, thanks!

bred
Oct 24, 2008

canyoneer posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JRJE7Y/

I see there's a deal on Amazon for this Dremel pack today. I don't have a rotary tool, but I vaguely remember hearing (here?) that you don't actually want the Dremel brand rotary tool, you want a rotary tool from a different brand.

Do I buy it?

I bought the black and Decker rtx-b when this thread recommended it. My mom has the dremel. Back to back the rtx has more power or whatever so it doesn't bog down as often. It fits all the dremel tools and I think it spins the other way but I'm not sure. I remember thinking the dremel was for lefties because of how it throws chips in my face. The rtx has toolless changes and I'm happy with it.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm hoping to do. Are there any decent cheap Chinese benchtop lathes you might recommend, eg something like this grizzly?

Also, where's a good place to get metal stock from? I'm looking at metalsdepot.com and it's ~250$ for a foot of 6" round aluminum 6061 stock

It looks like the larger OD is for design and only the thrust bearing face and stem are critical to function so smaller round bar and a square plate from the offcut bin would save you some money. Then maybe add a plastic washer or stick on film to provide the thrust bearing if needed. Also, the plate size and shape can minimize your moment and allow more clamps/bolts to hold it down.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Sounds like you were recommended this joint:
https://assets.bhg.com/bhg/images/2017/9/1/103137255.jpg

Where a scarf joint traditionally has a shallower angle and longer overlap. Also, I've seen zigzags so there are no fragile points.

They're redoing the covers over out parking spaces in my complex and the framers are using that 45d joint for the long span and 45d miters at the corners. That's probably what the guy was describing to you and will cover your membrane with wood color and pattern just fine.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Try sex bolts on your paintings.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
We also just moved and I have 2 ladders I've inherited over the years: an 8ft fiberglass A frame and a 12ft+ aluminum extension.

I've used the 8ft most of the time: running network, hanging garage lights, stowing things in the rafters, etc. I used the longer extension ladder to prune back a tree. I think the 8ft a frame is the biggest I can use indoors except the small vaulted area.

The one I'm thinking of buying is some kind of big boy stepladder. My dad has one that has a 2'x2' platform and 400lb? capacity that I really like. It puts me high enough for a lot of what I've used the 8ft for lately and is a safer option. We were laughing because he got it for the weight capacity but it is like micro scaffolding that sets up quickly and folds flat.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

So notice the Ryobi dual inflator is on DTO and 20% off (no free shipping, so meh, will probably wait), how long would a 1.5mah last with that?

I've got 3 cars I would top off tire pressure with, if I'm going off 3 or 4psi per tire would it last or need a bigger battery pack. I've got DeWalt batteries but $130 for the inflator alone is kinda pricey by comparison.

I have it and haven't reached the limit on my 1.5 battery. The biggest job I've done is checking/topping 8 car tires and 4 bicycle tires. It has to screw on to the valve instead of the clip on lever thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008

trilobite terror posted:

should I get a used Shopsmith? A popular woodworking channel recommended buying a used MkV Shopsmith

I saw one on craigslist for 650 with a bandsaw and got it on impulse. It didn't need much clean up and functions well enough. It was used as a lathe mostly so it came with turning tools. I have had it set up for bandsaw and disc sanding for years now, I haven't really needed the other features enough to change it. The remaining 3 feet of frame and table sections are just supporting a pile of crap.