Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

iForge posted:

:negative: Thumbs Down

Harbor Freight 4.5" Angle Grinder ($20?)
Garbage with a capital G-A-R-B-A-G-E. I broke the gearbox on one when removing a wheel that wasn't even on there that tight. Junk.

Greenlee, Sperry, ect brand non-contact voltage detectors($15-20)
As I previously stated, Fluke makes the best one.

Harbor Freight pipe wrenches(Cheap)
Junk.

Ridgid 18 volt cordless power tools ($300 for a set of 3 tools, 2 batteries, and a charger?)
The batteries had a very short life. After only maybe a dozen charge cycles I noticed a significant loss in life in the batteries and now they collect dust and the set is useless. I refuse to buy replacement batteries. My DeWalt batteries have held up 100X longer. Before the batteries were completely useless, the keyless blade release on the reciprocating saw broke and I had to use a screwdriver to change blades. Not recommended.

Ridgid palm sander($60?)
Junk. I managed to destroy one before I had used up the first sheet of sandpaper on it. Evidently, I pushed too hard and locked up the internal mechanism. I have put other power sanders through 5x the abuse and they took it with no problem. I wasn't even pushing THAT HARD on it. Maybe a defective unit, but I will never buy another.

Craftsman 10 inch table saw
I would recommend it's use as a boat anchor but the plastic/thin aluminum construction isn't even heavy enough for that. Motor mounts were made from pot metal and under light strain they broke, causing the blade to drop down inside the base and tear up the innards until it stopped itself. I now own a 70's cast iron 10 inch saw with steel motor mounts and no plastic or pot metal. Works excellent!

Craftsman benchtop band saw
Again with the junk pot metal brackets. One of the roller guides on it broke as it was made from cheap cast pot metal. I fixed it with JB-Weld and it is now relegated to light duty. Not recommended.

This is all I can think of in one sitting, I will think more and update as needed. Hope this helps. Your mileage may vary.

Complete opposite experience with Ridgid cordless power tools here. I can walk to the back of the shop right now and use any of the 25 drills or drivers that we have without any problems. They all experience heavy use and abuse by dipshit glaziers. Just get the service agreement with them and voila, free batteries! Are you sure that you're actually using/charging/storing the batteries correctly?

Also, giving Harbor Freight stuff bad reviews...is uh...kinda redundant. All of their stuff is cheap for a reason.

Finally, RED WINGS ARE THE loving BOMB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

artificialj posted:

Bought a 3 lb. cross peen hammer there the other day. Was drawing out some steel, and on the 6th hit on the anvil the epoxy holding the head to the handle broke. I mean, I know all I need is to actually put a wedge in there, but why the hell wouldn't it already have one? Who just glues a hammer head on a handle with cheap glue?

On the up side, the hammer was only like $5...

Heh. We use them when we need a tool to use only once or twice, because that's how long it will last! Haha. Although I do have to say, they have a REALLY cheap security bit set that isn't that bad. And clamps, they have lots of cheap clamps.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Iskariot posted:

Slight exception in your listing there: Hilti.

Probably the most durable brand of tools ever created. You seldom find hip and cutting-edge (terrible pun) Hilti tools. They sell tools simply because they last longer. I've talked to professionals that opted for something other than Hilti because the machines lasted so long they sort of went out of style. A bit weird but so they claimed. The hammer drills are probably the best in the world.

Homedepot prices on Hilti are so insane compared to here. The Hilti drywall screwdriver, SD 4500, costs $99 at HD. I would have to give over $400 for it. Professionals here still buy them in spades because they are superior.

Don't underestimate the joy of working with professional grade tools over DIY grade. I seldom buy anything DIY anymore even if it's a tool I seldom will use. It's not only the work hours you get from quality tools, it's overall quality.

If a drill goes from, say, $50 to $100 by upgrading a Ryobi to a DW/Makita/Bosch/Milwuakee/Hitachi/Ridgid/Hilti, you have spent 50 bucks to get something that could last you a lifetime. $50 is nothing. Granted, a cordless drill will have it's batteries give out on it at some point but new Li-Ion batteries last a long time if you store and use them correctly. Also remember that once you have invested in a pack with a charger and a couple of ~3Ah batteries, you can buy naked tools to supplement your workshop.

+1 for Hilti.

The prices for their stuff are pretty ridiculous in the usual shops (Home Depot, Lowes). If you have a friend who works in construction, ask him if they have a tool buying program from where they work at. Most likely they do, especially if the friend is involved in some of trade (glaziers, electricians..), and just have him purchase Hilti stuff through the company's Hilti rep. I do it all the time for my friends and the Hilti guy doesn't give a poo poo.