Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Please don't buy life critical products from aliexpress.

"Filter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I dont oppose buying the china fluke multimeter, but buying a 3M filter that *could* be genuine is not something I'd bet my respiratory system on.
There is nothing wrong with chinese products, but without QA and/or some way to verify a product is real...
I bought Xiaomi headphones several times, all of them were "100% real genuine", one pair was the shittiest knockoff ever. The others are great, but there was no way to know beforehand. Verifying a health and safety product to be real is a lot harder.

Would you buy sterile chinese first aid supplies?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
But the chinese fluke is genuine so...?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This is pretty great. What do you use to hold the tools? I don't recognize the hangers.

I believe those are 3D printed parts.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Wheels are sold at a premium, especially when they are rated for higher loads.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Painters tape is yellowish here.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TacoHavoc posted:

Is this the right place to ask about lawn tractors? I just had an offer accepted on a house with a three acre lot and I'm starting to go down the internet rabbit hole. I could use some advice.

This is definitely not not the right place.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I doubt it, you'll just never get anything.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Actually, E-Waste regulations might save us here again by requiring a standard to reduce battery throwout. Someone just has to tell the EU about it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I've never hear about nails being better in any way other than cost and tooling.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Bloody posted:

I was recently introduced to a pencil on a retractable clip that you attach to the collar of your shirt or wherever and it's an absolute game changer

Sir, please tell me more?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
MSA Sordin Pro are very highly regarded for this purpose

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

ThinkFear posted:

I like the peg trays like these guys. Only complaint is the spacing can be a hair tight for impact sockets. Not enough to not work, but a little tight.

Cool, I xould print those

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Particulate filters are easy, you stop using them once breathing through them gets too hard. Chemical filters are something you should track more closely, some chemicals will tell you to change them because of noxious fumes that you can detect, others not so much.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jaded Burnout posted:

I like to label things, but the labels from (dymo heat printing) label makers inevitably fall off within a few months. Does anyone have recommendations on an alternative that will actually stick well?

I have always used brother p-touch and they don't weld to your pats, but genreally stay attached without issues. You could use a secondary adhesive if you want them really bonded down.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Guys, should I buy an air compressor? I just got a (small) rented garage and I am trying to figure out what I should put in there. Will I be using it, or is it just a waste of space and money? (Assuming I probably won't be using air-powered tools).
I could get a 24l compressor for a hundo including basic tools like blower and inflator.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Well really the only purpose I can think of right now is blowing air, which is really nice but not sure if its worth it.
I might get one of those electric dust blowers, supposedy they are good, but expensive.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of blowing; I got one of those MetroVac blowers for cheap. Jesus do they blow. It's a very nice kind of blowing and it's great for drying cars etc.

I think that's the one I was remembering.
Also, good point on the shop vac, just bought one of those and I think it should have an exhaust port as well.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Rutibex posted:

A free shopvac is a free shopvac

I disagree, my dad gave me one of his shopvacs for free and after using it once I returned it and bought one. It had no suction, the parts were mixed and matched and didn't fit together all that well and it was just a pain.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jaded Burnout posted:

Health warning for people buying these; be careful where you put these units, as the cheaper ones don't have a separate thermometer for the freezer compartment and instead rely on the fridge being warm enough to kick on the chiller and keep the freezer frozen. If the ambient temperature hits say 3ºC then the fridge won't call for cooling and the freezer can defrost.

You can wind up cycling your food between thawed and frozen over and over without even knowing it, which can lead to food poisoning. I found this out the hard way.

If they're being used in unheated areas you need to get one that's rated for it.

I have a garage freezer and would like to chime in on this that a normal or subnormal rating will not do for unheated rooms. There is a good chance the appliance will just die.
Luckily a lot of Liebherr's lineup has engineering approval to run in subzero temps.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MRC48B posted:

Dig up your sidewalk and driveway and repour them with a bunch of pex loops. run warm glycol through them, heating the concrete above freezing. never shovel again bing bong

This is actually the emergency room solution to ice and snow. Our slanted (underground) ambulance parking ramps all are heated. It's kind of ridiculous but at the same time the only way to make sure that ambulances don't become single use during ice rain or snowstorms.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

The Bandit posted:

Why would they be leaving?

To provide emergency medical services to people?

Or is this some :thejoke:?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Platystemon posted:

From the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread:

Ah thanks for the explanation, that is indeed a good reference haha.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I used my new Knipex Wrenchplier thingies for the first time in a project yesterday and they are even more amazing than you'd think.
I need to get a second one, then I'll be unstoppable. (Had to put two nuts together which was a bit hard with just one wrench, but I managed)
Seriously, they sounded great on paper but are even better in practise.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Bob Mundon posted:

They look like they'd be nice to have, but how much better can they be than a $10 crescent wrench?

(Smarmily asking in the hope you'll convince me to spend more money.)

You can carry literally a whole set of crescent wrenches in one of these. Even the 180 I got replaces more wrenches than most of my sets have.
The tool actually inherently grips harder when you try to turn, meaning you pretty much can't torque out.
It allows for something like a ratchet mechanismn in your hand.
It is an incredibly strong grip because of the mechanismn.

Only real downside is the fact that you might need a bit more clearance depending on which size you get. Which is a good excuse to get all (or at least a few).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Bob Mundon posted:

Hadn't thought about pressure preventing camout and slipping, absolutely sold.

Are any of the off brands decent, or is it pretty much knipex or bust for that design?

I only found one off brand and they weren't actually cheaper, so it was a no brainer for me. I can generally recommend Knipex for it's quality, however the adjustment button on these wrenches is not their best work (Sometimes remains somewhat depressed).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

LightRailTycoon posted:

I have a Wiha, and it seems fine, but the adjustment is annoying. You open it all the way , and slide it, so it’s it’s a little fiddly.

The Wiha is even more expensive it seems.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Does Wera sell Lasertip bits?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

If brushless motors are superior to brushed counterparts, why don't higher end tool companies make their corded tools w brushless motors? Looks like there's a few corded brushless angle grinders but not much else

Cost and also it's way easier to directly power a brushed motor of mains AC.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So after pumping up my motorcycle tyre by hand I am in the market for a power tool. What is the consensus? Get a proper compressor? Battery powered model by one of the tool manufacturers? Or just a cheapo lithium one like the Xiaomi?
I probably would use it at most three times a year. But obviously an air compressor could be useful for other things.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

~Coxy posted:

You do not use Ryobi One,
Instead you buy Makita
Kompressor break your glue gun
Kompressor scoff at windcheater

Do you currently have, or have any other use for, a 18V battery tool system?
If so I would get a pump and a drill/driver.

If not then I would get a cheap air compressor.

No I am not on any battery system yet, my cordless is a Aldi cheapo. I think it's Milwaukee, not sure tho.
Would be ready to join a team though if that's the recommendation.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

consider getting a 12v cigarette lighter plug in inflator, you can keep them in your car and if your tire goes flat from a small leak you can reinflate and drive to have it repaired. driving on a flat tire means they wont repair and they gotta replace it

I have one of those but my bikes outlet can't support it and the hassle of adapters is just annoying.
I do have a outlet nearby, so yeah.

E: I looked at the prices, I'm just gonna order a cheap compressor, even a power supply for my portable compressor is a third of the price.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 10, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

If you're not on a team yet, I got one of these years ago and it's served me quite well https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm now team Makita with an air compressor, and I still use this inflator pretty frequently. It's just convenient.

I have the 12V version of that. But considering a proper 30L low profile compressor is 120€ and 230V "inflators" cost around 50€ I just bit the bullet, I have been eyeing getting an air compressor for years anyway.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

tater_salad posted:

Just get a stand up bike pump. I got a $20 target one and it works well. I rarely use my Ryobi inflator for it since it's just a few pumps and the power inflators kind of struggle at higher pressure.

Literally my first post is about the fact that I did just that and want a power tool for the future.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I'm a dumby I didn't reading comprehension this and somehow I thought bike tire = bike tire. Not motorcycle.

Oh actually I guess that's fair enough, I didn't realize how ambiguous my statement was. But yeah, was talking about a motorcycle, my bicycle tyres are OK to fill by hand.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I want/need two specialized tools to finally stop abusing my screwdrivers. If there is nothing on the market I might just mod a few cheap generic tools.
1) I often need a small but sturdy pry tool. My electronics pry tools are way too delicate for this. So far I have always resorted to using the one small electricians flat head screwdriver/line indicator from my wiha kit. It's basically what I need, but I don't need the bulky shaft and line indicator function. I feel really bad abusing it like that. Any recommendations for something similar? The typical small screwdrivers of this size have very weak shafts that bend way too easy.

I also sometimes pry stuff with the wiha pry/hammer screwdrivers, but I would like a tool that can do that without scratching up metal parts. Is there some rubberized/plastic coated pry tool you could recommend for such purposes? If not, I might just have to abuse some heatshrink or some such.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

For #1 I'd just get some cheap flathead screwdrivers and don't feel bad about abusing them.

For #2 you want a "spudger".

Like I said, the regular ones I find are too weak for proper abusive levering.

For spudger I only find ifixit tools that are made from plastic and way too delicate. I want some proper brute force tools.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

They sell demolition screwdrivers that are basically mini pry bars and chisels in one. But really most any flat head screwdriver with a solid steel shank ought to do it

For #2, could you cut a shim or wedge from wood and lightly hammer that in between whatever you want to pry? That’s what I do for removing wood trim

I am not removing trim, I am manhandling metal parts with exposed surfaces and want to avoid marrinv those, so metal on metal contact is what I am trying to avoid. The tool definitely still needs a metal core to handle the forces I am putting on it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TacoHavoc posted:

Would a metal core tire iron work?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-305D-Steel-Tire-Lever-Set

I have these and they've taken some punishment.

This is definitely what I am going for, although I think I'd still want something with a narrower blade. But I'll probably just DIY something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Can anyone recommend a good, strong handheld vacuum? I have one that sucks real bad (barely able to pick up crumbs with the nozzle covering them).
I want something I can easily use anywhere, I don't want or need it to be able to vacuum my floors or anything like that.
What I really want/need is something as powerful as possible while not too heavy for one handed use. I've tried the Dyson V8 and the xiaomi G10, G11 and Light. All of these seem to be plenty powerful in their respective boost modes (although the Light apparently has a lot less power). I really don't like the Xiaomi products design/ergonomics wise, but if they are the best bang per buck I can deal with it. I don't feel like Dyson are any better in a way that justifies their prices.