Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. If there are any rotary tool enthusiasts here, I have a question:

In short, is it fair to say that my ancient cordless Dremel just isn't the right tool for cutting metal? I've tested multiple cutoff wheels, different speeds, different metals, and it just doesn't have the oomph to cut through, for example, wire shelving without bogging down. Nevermind cutting through a bolt or something more substantial.

Should I bite the bullet and get a corded version, or is this operator error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ jinx!

Yeah, the enamel-ish paint they use all over tends to gum things up, but it's a problem in general. I've never had success with a rotary tool and metal of any kind. It just binds and halts the wheel.

Ended up taking a hacksaw to the shelving, although now I'm wishing I had a bolt cutter.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
True, that would probably be the most versatile of all options.

Alas, a grinder's not in the cards, as my only real workspace these days is my balcony. I could've used a grinder at my makerspace, but while at home I can't really use much beyond "doesn't make much noise or mess" kinds of tools. That's why the Dremel came out of retirement, only to disappoint yet again.

Eh, it doesn't always disappoint. Just when metal is involved.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I. M. Gei posted:

The thing I’m building has eyehole screws screwed into it every 2 feet, and it’s gonna look lovely if I don’t measure out where to put those. It’s also pretty big and going in a space of relatively limited size.

Based on what I can gather, you have one measuring tool that you find "correct." Why not use that tool to create a story stick which measures exactly the distance you need, and transfer the measurements to your work that way?

If it's a repeated measurement, it will actually be a more consistent way to get the same distance each time vs. you measuring/marking/cutting/drilling/whatever each time.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
No, that's the standard operating procedure as outlined on the first page of the manual of every miter saw.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A random recommendation for pretty much anyone who needs to shape wood freehand (:wink:). This thing:

is easily worth many times its asking price, and you might even be able to find it for less elsewhere. Easy to use, removes material very quickly, and lets you do some interesting (if not super-tight) curves. Just an excellent tool.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bob Mundon posted:

Thanks, had my eye on it for a while. Have a 4 in hand right now and it's almost unusable.

That was exactly my situation and the reason I gave the Shinto a try.

I think you'll love it, but do post back what your experience is like. I got a couple of neat curvy pieces done with it (first, second) and I've been telling anyone who'd listen how useful it was.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DreadLlama posted:

I advocate getting the absolute cheapest tools you can get your hands on and only upgrading as necessary.

I feel like this is good advice only if your time is worthless.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Could anyone recommend Pelican-style cases at not-Pelican prices? They don't need to be waterproof, just sturdy enough to function as tool boxes. Something in the neighbourhood of 15" long x 6" wide x 8" tall, or slightly larger.

There are so many freaking options online and it's tough to say what's even halfway decent without handling them in person.

edit: changed my mind about the dimensions.

Trabant fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 14, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thank you! I think HF is the winner -- I like having the foam inserts, and the price is just right for the size.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

canyoneer posted:

The angle grinder is perhaps my most feared tool in my home and any chance I have to use something else, I'm going to use something else.

Amen. The grinder and the router should be treated like rattlesnakes imo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You're all space-having bastards. I literally had to make a Compact Ambulant Repository-based storage system for my tools.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Heart pine is night and day different from plantation grown 2x4s. It’s hard as hell and a bit of a nightmare to work with (the usual ‘reclaimed’ problems of nails but pitch pitch pitch pitch pitch) but it sure is pretty when you’re done. It ha a warm orange color with reddish brown growth rings that I have never been able to replicate in new pine (and god have I tried).

I'm pretty sure that's what I used for a Bluetooth stereo a while back and you're right on all counts:

Trabant posted:

Made a Bluetooth/3.5mm line-in speaker:

Although the smell while working that stuff is just :kiss:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hubis posted:

That is just gorgeous

Thanks! :tipshat:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
While I can't recommend a particular planer, carbide inserts would absolutely be my choice over HSS blades. Maybe it was something completely unrelated, but when my makerspace switched from knives to inserts it was a night-and-day kind of difference in both the resulting finish and the LOUD NOISES.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I have no need for these in the foreseeable future but I'm curious if anyone's tried these Bora sawhorses (video starts at right timestamp):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60lkKqCguqw&t=52s

I think that One Day I'll have a small space to do my dumb projects in, and I'm wondering whether these + a small Paulk workbench top would make for a decent, semi-collapsable work surface.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those are cool but I think for $140 I’d rather have 7 of these indestructible little guys:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EBCO-24-in-W-x-29-in-H-Steel-Saw-Horse-1-000-lb-Capacity/3073379

I had no idea tactical woodworking vests were a thing until that video. Now I’m not sure if I need one or not?

Good point, although those seem to lack the "insert 2x4 for additional stability" capability. That's kind of what I'm thinking might be the killer feature for me if I use them for a collapsible bench.

Nevets posted:

I bought a pair of similarly designed sawhorses a couple years ago:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOUGHBUILT-42-4-in-W-x-28-8-in-H-Steel-Sawhorse-and-Jobsite-Table-1100-lb-Capacity-TB-C550/205870368

They work well, but admittedly I've only moved them around a couple times and mostly used them as table legs to rest my chopsaw on.

Nice -- and so much cheaper than the Bora!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hubis posted:

Don't listen to these fools, they lack imagination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYYnPwcHywU

First cut: kickback. Amazing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

JEEVES420 posted:

You do not use a fence for cross cuts like that because it will cause a kickback.

Oh, of course. I'm just amazed that's literally the first example of him using that... thing.

Then again, bad choices were being made from the very beginning.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it normal to want to use power tools for no reason? Since I got the Fakita impact driver, I just want to squeeze the trigger and hear it go brrr whenever I walk into the room and see it on the shelf.

haha impact driver go brrrr

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Anyone have experience with electric staple guns and could steer me in the right direction? I'm looking for a relatively cheap alternative to those hand-killing manual staplers I've used before when doing some amateur upholstery.

This one seems to be popular:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-T50ACD-Compact-Electric-Staple-Gun-T50ACD/308165223

but most of the reviews are promotion-related, so I don't exactly believe the high scores. I'm not opposed to a higher-end model either, but I don't need a heavy-duty product, nor do I care about it being cordless.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks all!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

McSpergin posted:

84 Engineering Shop-Mate 48, 2x48. Waiting for the motor (1.1kw/1.5hp) and VFD to show up as well as the cable for it all and then I'll have to go get some belts!

What's the $$ damage, all in?

One day I'd like to have access to a grinder again :sigh:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

McSpergin posted:

All in?

Grinder body was about $950
Motor $230
VFD $250
Stand was about $300 (height adjustable with a significant range of height it can adjust)
Cabling and mount for the VFD was another $20
And I'll need to get an extension lead I can cut an end off to wire up the VFD for mains power
So all up just a touch under $1800 AUD. They're great grinders, a lot of local blokes here use them and they came recommended from a guy I know at a blacksmith forge near Canberra, they only use these ones.

Thanks -- missed that you were in Australia, but it's probably about the best (or better) than I can hope to pay in the US too, e.g.

Grind things in good health!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
On the other hand, truly square, plump, and fat describes me pretty well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

A level per room keeps the structure from doom

Keep levels all over so you don't end up like Grover.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah it is like he sat down and said 'hmm, how can I make this maximally dangerous.' The huge unguarded flywheel, the wood chunks flying everywhere, the windlass and rope right next to the huge unguarded flywheel...it's bad folks.

Look, he's wearing PPE. What more do you people want?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I've lost too many hours looking for construction shoes that I can slip on when I move from the deck where I cut materials to indoors.

I guess crocs for work are the best choice?

Maybe a work version of a Chelsea boot, like the Blundstone ones?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Would a tool roll be what you need? Or if the tools in question are truly skinny, even a pencil roll?

Having done some leatherwork myself, I'll say that looking for custom will probably require going to someone on Etsy in a lower-cost country to make it affordable. Even if it's a relatively simple project -- and a tool roll would be -- it's rarely economical for the maker. And those of us who post in the leatherwork thread have pretty much exclusively done hand-stitching, making it even less so.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That seems like overkill. I'd think a combination of threadlock and a locking nut would do the job.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
For what it's worth, someone else might chime in with a better solution. To me it seems that something that gets an occasional spin probably doesn't need a captive/welded nut solution. If you were spinning the gears continuously, then it's a different story.

But locking nuts are a low-cost/low-effort solution, so I think it's worth a shot.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The other day I used these:

and they're fine, very good even!

However, I'm more interested in seeing the absolute unit Wichita Lineman motherfucker who'd be able to crimp 1/8" ferrules without destroying their hands in the process. Holy hell, that was a struggle.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRc7ZDRcgrQ

This thing is super cool, immediately reminded me of the crimper except for much larger applications.

gently caress, that's a neat thing!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Manual rivet tools -- are they all the same basic thing at this point, or is there a go-to brand whose product won't fall apart after a dozen rivets? Perhaps Arrow or Stanley? I don't need a heavy-duty monster, just something to put together small bits of hardware onto sheet metal.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ah, unsurprising yet disappointing. But thank you for confirming what I suspected!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Paint question for y'all:

I'd like to spray paint a steel case which is powder-coated at the moment (at least the manufacturer claims so). Any idea if I'll have to strip the existing coat first or if there's a primer + paint combo that will let me skip that?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
As a Texas goon. I am -- after this utterly poo poo week -- about to change my approach to emergency prep, hopefully without descending into :tinfoil: or tacticool wankery.

Do we have a thread dedicated to emergency tools/equipment recs? I looked at this and the outdoor subforum but didn't see anything that popped out. If I missed it, I apologize -- I've had no clean water to wash my face :shepicide

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Motronic posted:

I mean....what do you think you need?

Is this "generator and fuel storage, maybe some water storage" or "oh poo poo, houses should be insulated even if its normally hot here" or what? This could cross over into a ton of threads that already exist.

Some version of the former, at least for my purposes. Living in a condo means there's only so much I can change infrastructure-wise, so I'm looking to do what I can with power/water/heat/etc.

In other words, I'm looking at power banks and 5-gallon jugs, others are probably looking at gasoline generators and 50-gallon drums. That's why I figured I might learn from a dedicated thread. If there isn't one but there's enough interest, I'll start one. Maybe we can crowdsource some wisdom.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you all for suggestions -- I'm already checking out the GiP thread for ideas.

Re: heating, I'm generally SOL when it comes to any fuel-burning solution. The condo rules prohibit it, and even if I were to flaunt that by sticking a generator on the balcony, someone would turn me in. And to be honest, I wouldn't even be upset: the building has 43 floors and if they allowed any burners to be used, we would've gone up in flames long ago. Hell, we once had a floor basically flood due to the sprinkler system being extra-aggressive against a person's... candlemaking attempt. They started melting the wax or something, left it on the stove as they went to pick up a friend from the airport, and oops! That's not even considering the CO, which probably would've killed dozens by now. We just can't be trusted.

I think we can handle the potential lack of heat, but my major concerns are potable water, ability to keep phones charged, and basic toilet hygiene. That's where I'll focus, at least to start and/or until we move to a single-family home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I like this for disaster prep:

https://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/0004.html

It's less potable water and generator and more total disaster (think hurricanes, floods, fire), but has a lot of good stuff to think about.

Whoo boy, that's a lot of words. Good ones though -- thanks!