Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Hilti SID-144-A Impact Driver - This is my favorite tool. Ridiculously powerful and the batteries never die. I've had a number of projects that would've been all but impossible without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

straw_ewe posted:

The Fuego line is bad-rear end and I highly recommend their small, one-handed sawzall for you.

It's seriously the best for rehab work if you're in that line.
I bought two of these for my guys, to be used primarily for drywall demolition, and each one died after 6 months or so of fairly light use due to the brushes wearing out. To the tool's credit, the brushes are easily accessible for replacement, but I just don't like that they wore out so fast.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

internet celebrity posted:

I don't know if any of you guys would be too familiar with flooring tools but I need a solid jamb saw. I like the long neck style for inside corners, better grip and maneuverability and I've got it narrowed down to two jamb saws, the Crain 825 Jamb Saw and the Roberts 10-55 Jamb Saw. My concern is that I can't really see the difference but I know there has to be something to justify the steep jump in price between the Roberts and the Crain. Does anyone know what the reliability is like on the Roberts vs the Crain? Does it come down to made in America vs China or something?
I can't speak for the Roberts, but I own that Crain, and it's a great tool

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Error 404 NpH posted:

Get one of these brushes for cutting in the trim
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...=1&ddkey=Search

The stubby rubber handle makes it really easy to hold and only cost $5.86.
That handle holds promise of me not getting horrible hand cramps like I do every time I paint. I must have it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I was not aware that a hook driver was a thing that existed. I wish I had found out sooner..

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Remulak posted:

Christ, that's brilliant!
Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2MOzKjm2uA
I'm a bit concerned by the fact that they had to use a time-lapse during the ripping portion. Also, this probably speaks to my lack of faith in my ability, but I'd be a lot more interested in that tool if it had some sort of a fence on it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Alright, I am confused. I get that things cost more than the sum if their parts, but in what way is even 60 dollars a good price for that? I am asking honestly, what am I missing?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Based on his other post, I was picturing a handheld. Which, I will admit, I have never thought to check squareness on and don't know if mine is adjustable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Do you find that Milwaukee sort of heavy and cumbersome? I think I have the same model, and while it is a great saw, I shy away from it in favor of my lighter dewalt a lot.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

AFewBricksShy posted:

When I first got my house my dad got me the Ryobi One system. It has worked out pretty well so far, and I upgraded the batteries to the lithium a couple of years ago.

The drill in the set burnt out, so I need a new drill. I know that the Ryobi tools aren't the best, but is this daily deal Dewalt set any better in quality?
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK265L-18-Volt-Compact-Lithium-Ion/dp/B002WJUEMG

I've got nearly the full gamut of the Ryobi tools at this point, so if all things are equal I'd rather stick with the same battery, but if this Dewalt is much better, I'll pick this up. Or if there's a recommended alternative, please post it. I'm not doing anything insane with these tools, just sporadic weekend projects.
For sporadic weekend projects, stick with the ryobi. Essentially, if they haven't bothered you yet, they aren't likely to ever, unless you start taking on a lot more jobs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Floppy Dingo posted:

So I'm finally considering picking up some of my first tools (I know, I know, a man that doesn't know much about tools, I am ashamed but eager to learn) and went strolling about our local Wal-mart and Lowes as Homestead was closed today in town. Sadly as a small town we don't have much for any kind of 'specialized' tool stores besides the retail giants.

Long story short, I had my eyes set on this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_493425-34252-BDCDMT120_0__?Ntt=matrix+drill&UserSearch=matrix+drill&productId=50031460&rpp=32

From the looks of it, it seems useful - drill base that you can swap out to be other tools, but I figured I'd ask online from more knowledgeable sources before I invest any kind of money into this. For all intents and purposes my tool box pretty much is a hammer and a set of screw drivers (Phillips and flat-head), and I'm going to be doing general home work/wood work with these tools.

Would that tool system be a good start?

Unless I am confused, your link appears to be just a regular old drill. Maybe Lowes is redirecting incorrectly?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I have a little compressor (Ridgid Mobile Air) and every time I am done with it I bleed off the air completely, and then open the bottom drain for storage. Is that the correct procedure, or should I be opening the bottom drain while there is still some pressure? I always assumed gravity would be enough.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

My question is, why does no company sell a 120v adapter that just plugs into the battery slot so I can use my tools corded when need be?

Is there a technological issue? Are they just hoping I will purchase the corded and cordless models to address this issue?

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 10, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

asdf32 posted:

One tricky thing is that batteries are actually well suited for tools because they can provide high amounts of current for short bursts. To mimic this with a power supply you'd need a pretty large expensive one sized for the worst case current draw. Certainly possible but not that practical.
I did some googling last night and found that Dewalt used to have one for their 24v line and that Greenlee has one for their 18v line. Both were about a hundred and fifty bucks, which I am not sure I would pay, so I guess most other people wouldn't either. Bummer.

Just so I understand - The issue is that cordless tools use much higher amperage than corded since they are lower voltage, right?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I haven't noticed any great durability difference between my Milwaukee shockwave bits and run of the mill bits. Maybe they last a *little* longer?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Sointenly posted:

A note on the free items: HORDE THEM! I probably have 2 dozen tape measures and and at least that many cheap pairs of scissors and screw driver sets. You know what? My life is better for it! I leave one of each tucked away in just about every room of the house
A tape measure in every room? You are living the dream.

That sounds sarcastic, but seriously.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

WobblySausage posted:

For Ryobi stuff check if there is a Direct Tools outlet near you. I was able to pick up an 18v NiCad Ryobi Drill for $20.00 or $30.00 (battery & charger included). They specialize in Ryobi and Ridgid tools. Their tools are factory refurbished, but they come with factory warranties.

But as far as Black Friday stuff, I'm keeping my eye out for a table saw.
I love Direct Tools. Got an 18v ridgid hammer drill from them a few black Fridays ago for like 35% of the new retail cost. Minus the small 'recon' stamped into the handle, you would never know the difference.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

spog posted:

Just FYI: welding without pants isn't a great idea.

The first time, sure, but once you've built up some calluses it's fine.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Rnr posted:

I used this set for a lot of home improvement and in the wood working thread mentioned tree house construction (in itself around 250 screws I think): https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Diamond...mpactor+bit+set
I thought for a second 'well, I mean, if it were guaranteed these things would never fail, I guess I could spend that kind of money'. Then I realized I would absolutely, undoubtedly, lose those bits over the course of a year anyway.

Pass.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

CharlieWhiskey posted:

If there is space in my vehicle when packing for camping trips, I like to throw the cordless recip saw, a fresh pruning blade and 2 fat batteries in the car. I did this a couple weeks ago and arrived late at a state campground with no firewood for sale after 8pm. While everyone foraged the treeline for sticks, I walked into the forest and zipped up every felled dry tree under 5" in diameter and had enough firewood for 2 nights before my batteries died.
Maybe you wouldn't have been so late if you hadn't been looking for/charging your saw. :colbert:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

I don't use my jigsaw super often, but when I need it, I really need it. I recently used it to shorten the length of a table top for a table I'm building, and it is the only tool that would've done what I needed (besides a large table saw with plenty of room around it.) The precise cut I needed excluded a sawzall, circular, or hand saw.
What was the cut? I'm having trouble picturing something that would be do-able on a table saw, but where a jigsaw would outperform a circular saw. Just curiosity is all.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any recommendations for a pipe threader? I'll need to thread some 1" rigid metal conduit for a ~50-60' run with six or seven 90° bends. I'm seeing multiple tools that basically consist of a ratcheting head and a set of interchangeable die cutters, and they all have mediocre reviews; are the tools just hard to use, or are they actually bad tools? Stepping up to a power tool would greatly increase the cost, and seems excessive for a job this size.

EDIT: or there's a Ridgid threader that costs $75 and you have to purchase individual dies at another $75 apiece, so $150 for what I need. Sort of an intermediary between the dirt-cheap options and the uber-expensive power tools.
Does code in your area not allow for emt conduit?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

peepsalot posted:

What is the use case for a reverible vise? i'm a little confused trying to picture it.
I prefer all my vises to be reversible, so that I can get the work piece out when I'm done.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Well, soon you'll be done with t12s whether you like it or not. ;)
Have you considered the led shoplights from Costco that everyone with a garage/shed/murder dungeon is so in love with? They're 3700 lumens vs your 5000, but you can get a 2 pack for 60 bucks, and they can be surface mounted (via keyhole hangers) or chain-hung.

Also, I wholeheartedly support your lighting ambitions. If I could, my work area would be lit like the room they imprisoned Tony Shaloub in on the X Files.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

metallicaeg posted:

Haha no. I had been following those Feit sets for months and I haven't seen it drop to $30 a pop. Most of the time they're $45-50, and on the rare occasion that they drop to $40 they sell out quickly.
http://m.costco.com/4%E2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain-2-pack.product.100284402.html

A slightly different model than the original popular ones (of which I picked up 2 for 20-something each a few months back), but same company, no reason to suspect any huge drop in quality.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

stupid puma posted:

Any suggestions for a cheap but decent chop saw? It'll be mostly used for case and base moulding work, maybe building some shelves and work benches- nothing super technical. When I look at that $130 Ryobi at HD it seems decent, but I also don't want to find that it makes super sloppy cuts once I get it out of the box.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ColdPie posted:

I live in Minnesota. Unless you've got like a 50 yard driveway or are 60 years old, buy a good shovel and get t'work, you wuss.
To expand on this, also get rid of all your power tools. The Lord smiles to see a sweat covered brow.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Uncle Enzo posted:

Christ is there any way to avoid or shorten the rechargeable tool talk? Page after goddamn page of Makita vs dewalt

Just loving buy one already, if you don't like it return it. If you're a home user you'll never push them to their limits anyways, if you're a contractor you'll have your own opinions.

How much time are you guys even spending more than 20 feet from an outlet? Just buy corded tools as you need them. If your jobs are small enough that they can be handled by a plastic thing you can hold in one hand, it's a small job. Buy whatever. You won't be able to buy batteries and chargers to match eventually anyways, they're consumer goods with a calculated lifetime.

Face it, your rechargeable tools are going to spend 99.99% of the next ten years collecting dust on the workbench in your garage. Eventually you'll buy some new ones, from whatever is available then.

They're all made in the same factory anyways.
Overly angry, but I tend to agree.

Except for drills/drivers. If you have a corded drill, you're a degenerate of the highest order and I feel like the most rational way to deal with you is an annual Purge night.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I do really wish that the tool makers would sell a AV to battery slot adapter for those times you're using a tool inside or when your batteries run out. There are a lot of tools I'd consider buying if I knew I could run them endlessly near an outlet, but swap in a battery when desired.
It's been explained to me, probably in this thread, that such a device would be wildly expensive, due to..... electricity stuff. I forget. But yeah, apparently it's not as easy as it seems like it would be.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Miter saws are for pussies.

Just freehand a circular saw.
No way can I spin the blade fast enough, man.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Sno-Tek is the economy brand of Ariens, and gets good reviews. My gut tells me long term parts would be available as there is undoubtedly carry-over between their lines. Got my 24" 2 stage Sno-Tek for 600 a couple years ago, and it's doing great.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm shocked beyond description he had the sense to use a push block.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

It's a cat tree.
Oh, so you think the cat is never gonna want to remodel? With how nice some of the newer laminates are??

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

Similar thing here. I think the biggest trick is to get a cover and always keep it covered when not in use.
This. I bought a Brinkman for like $150, 7 years ago. Chicago area, so every type of weather. In the winter, I just make sure to shovel it out when I'm doing the sidewalks. The burner covers are finally starting to rust out, but everything else is mint condition. I fully expect to have this grill 5 years from now. My father's Weber, similar age, has gone all to poo poo because he's inconsistent about covering it. I've never noticed his grill to cook any more evenly than mine, but I'm also not a master cook or anything.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Found this in a second hand store today. Wanted to get it, but couldn't figure out where the gently caress the battery plugs in.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

You can plunge-cut with a jigsaw.
If it's anything like a real chainsaw though, you really shouldn't.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

stealie72 posted:

Why not? I plunge cut with chainsaws fairly often...

I'm not a professional, but every chainsaw safety thing I've ever seen says it's a no-no. Even professionals seem to generally regard plunge cuts as one of those bad ideas you sometimes just need to do.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

Not to discourage you from your table saw dreams, but miter saws are a much better tool for doing stuff like flooring or trim. I guess if you're talking about ripping plywood for the subfloor, maybe, but a circular saw is usually easier than trying to feed sheet goods through a job site saw.

That said, all these job site saws are almost identical with different paint jobs. About the only thing that varies is the fence locking mechanism, and that is one of the most important aspects. I personally don't think paying > $300 for one of these types of saws is worth it. They're not real table saws, and they're only useful for a handful of homeowner-type stuff beyond what a miter/circular setup can handle. If you get more into woodworking, you'll want to get a real table saw, and that extra $300 for the Bosch would be better spent on that.

I will forever be the voice of dissent on this forum by saying that the average person absolutely will do just fine with a small contractor/jobsite table saw, even if they dabble with some woodworking at some point. I get there's a type of hobbyist who just likes having the best of everything, and that's a totally valid way to do things, but having used a dewalt jobsite saw for like 8 years now, the only downside I've ever come across is the small range of the fence. But then, that's why god built circular saws. Otherwise, it's legitimately been a pleasure to use for an incredible array of DIY projects around the house, and some light woodworking. Flooring, siding (t11 and cement board), paneling, trim, dozens of odds and ends jobs, etc. Fence holds tight and square, motor makes it's way through anything I throw at it without any argument.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

I completely agree. I think my point was poorly communicated, in that I think these job site saws are all most homeowner DIY jobs will require. I just think paying for the 'deluxe' model is a waste of money, since they are all fairly similar in quality. If you find yourself needing high levels of fence quality or a better quality table (e.g. hardcore woodworking), you'd be better off investing in a full cabinet table saw.
Ahh, I see it now. Sorry, table saw chat here usually turns into "The only saw worth having is a 1600 lb cabinet saw". I'm jumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

EDIT: anyone know of a way to detect water / rot inside of walls short of actually tearing the walls open and looking? Having fixed one such instance, I'm now a) paranoid that there may be others, and b) in no interest in doing any more damage to my house than I have to.
A high end moisture meter *might* have caught the issue you already dealt with through the drywall, but having used one professionally for years, I can say they definitely have their limitations. They aren't cheap either - Ours were about $400. A thermal cam works well for interior walls, but yeah, there's a lot of room for misinterpretation when it comes to exterior walls. The camera will absolutely be sensitive enough to spot the rot (A fun trick to show customers was to put your hand on the wall for a few seconds, and then show them the handprint on the thermal camera 30 seconds later), but differentiating it from insulation leaks is tough. If you can rent one though, you might as well give it a shot. Doesn't hurt to do a little thermal audit of your house anyways.