Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is there any sort of 4 inch diamond/carbide hole saw out there that will fit in a drill press? Preferably without the pilot point?
I know that'll be a bitch to keep from walking around, but I figure if I put the speed as slow as possible it'll be ok.

I've got a bunch of old pieces of Granite counter top that I want to make in to some poo poo (coasters).

I've got concrete coring stuff at work that I could use, but I'd have a hard time securing the pieces to...... whatever to keep them from moving around. Plus even on low speed it'd still be too fast to keep the bit from walking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-4-1-8-in-Diamond-Grit-Hole-Saw-HDG418/203570978 I haven't used that kind but I have used Milwaukee

Or could cut them into squares and take a hand grinder to them with some 80-200 grit on it to break the edges? I don't know how thick your granite is but going through it with a drill press seems tough and hot

poo poo yeah! Why the gently caress couldn't I find that?

Its probably an inch thick. I've cut a lot of concrete with diamond bits, you just use some water to flush/cool the bit and you're good. Rebar sucks though. I'll probably also keep a vacuum handy for dust and then just use a spray bottle for water.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea I do a lot of work with stone and tile, I've just never used the inside of a hole saw cut :D Its always fun drilling into concrete and hitting rebar. Post pics of your project please!

$65 is definitely in the "do I really need this for a one time project" territory but it could turn out really nice. I've wanted to do some marble inlay coasters using my ring saw for a while now and haven't gotten around to trying it and the local restore has so much good cutoff

I will definitely post pics, but the way these things go, it'll be about three years from now before I get around to it. I've already had the pieces for 6 or 7 years at least, collecting dust. I've got a whole bunch of pieces, so I might consider giving them away for jesus day gifts or something. 65 bucks isn't that bad, but yeah, also the fact that it'll probably be dull as gently caress by the end......... If I can figure out how to anchor both work piece and coring machine down, I'll probably do some bigger diameter ones for hot pot coasters or something. The smaller ones I'll probably use a drill press.

I just have to go to a craft store or home despot for some sticky felt for the bottoms.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sockser posted:

Last weekend, I bought a DeWalt 7491RS from Home Depot for $579

Today, that price is $499 on amazon

Which means poo poo for me since I’d have to run circles around town and hope I still have my Home Depot receipt

But hey if you want a pretty badass saw for $450, Lowe’s will price match Amazon and knock another 10% off

gently caress. I wish they sold Milwaukee tools.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Robertson bitches. Fight me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you were to only use one type of drill bits forever and ever, would they be the titanium coated bitches, or Black oxide hoes?

This for general purpose poo poo, mostly metal (mild steel, sometimes al-you-min-ee-um) but also wood, and occasionally plastic.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Vitamins posted:

I’ve got to drill approx 25 holes through a double course of extremely hard engineering brick, and the cheap cordless hammer drill I’ve got is doing it but extremely slowly and keeps overheating. Is it worth getting an SDS+ drill to do this job, and any recommendations? I’m UK based for what it’s worth.

I’ve looked into hiring one and locally at least its looking to cost nearly 2/3 of the cost of just buying one.

How old/new is the bit?
If the carbide tip is worn, a new drill won't really be much of a help.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A few months ago, I bought a Milwaukee m12 rotary tool. The "dremel" basically. This one:
https://www.mississaugahardware.com...ASABEgIJy_D_BwE

I've had a few problems with the speed control. It won't turn if I've got it on 1, but I can hear the motor wanting to turn. Even if I turn it by hand it won't stay turning.
That happened first, and then it happened on setting 2. But with setting 2 it will turn on its own, if I spin the poo poo first. It'll keep moving, and if I turn it up, then down to 2, it stays moving, but if I turn it down to 1 it stops.

I figure its probably something to do with the speed control switch, but whatever. I've got to send it back for repair or replacement.

In the mean time has anyone else had this problem?

Or any other problems with these things?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

There is a machine shop near me thats going up for auction.
I've been bugging my boss for a lathe for a while. Probably won't get one, but just wondering, the following ones will be up on the block.
Are they good quality brands/models?
I get of course, that condition will determine whether they're a good buy or not if they are reputable brands.

Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe, wide bed, 125-3000 RPM, inch threading, tailstock, steady rest, power feeds, KDK tool post, 5C collet closer

Hardinge DSM-59 lathe second operation, 9" swing over bed, 16" max between spindle nose and tooling plate, variable spindle speeds to 3000 RPM

Tos SN63B Lathe, 15" 3 jaw chuck, 3" bore, 10 to 1000 RPM,10 hp w/ 3 steady rests, 20" chuck 4 jaw, (2) 10" chucks, tooling etc.

Tos SN50C gap bed engine lathe, 22" swing over bed, 28" swing in the gap, 78" between centers, 2" spindle bore, 10" 4-jaw chuck

Tos SN50B Gap bed geared head engine lathe, 1.5" spindle bore, 10" 4-jaw chuck, 28" swing over gap, 22" swing over bed, 14" swing over carriage, 80" distance between centers, 22-2,000 RPM steady rests

Tos SN63B Gap Bed Lathe

Tos SN50C Gab Bed Lathe

Oh gently caress it, here's the listing in case you guys want to see some other poo poo:

http://www.danburyauctions.com/sharp-machine-co-ltd/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CarForumPoster posted:

Hardinge is definitely a name brand lathe. Can't comment on Tos. What you guys need will probably inform what the best choice is.

E.g. do you have 3-phase power and room for a lathe?
What size?
How big of work do you need to hold?
What sort of requirements for the quality of parts do you have?

Right now, I'd like something for general machining duties (this piece of round stock is slightly too big for the hole I'm trying to put it in), and capable of cutting threads (3TPI) though I'd have to learn to cut threads again. Size of pieces, would be no more than 3 inches and slightly less than 2 inches for longer pieces which woul have to fit through the........ thing that goes out through the back of the machine.
We've got 3 phase power, and sort of have room for a lathe. Or we would if we got rid of a few things.

Realistically, its a pipe dream, I've been trying to convince my boss to get one since I started working here over a decade ago. It would be of assistance because it would be just a few more things we don't have to outsource, but not something that would get tons and tons of use.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

What the poo poo is the difference between self tapping and self drilling screws?
I've always called them self tapping, regardless.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

There is (or used to be) a small engine thread over in AI where one could get advice on lawn equipment.

Yeah, "Alternative Insanity" thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302145

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I bought a milwaukee drill and impact set several years ago. It came with the tools, two batteries and a charger. In a bag. I was pissed because I wanted a hard case, cause I like it hard (hurr!!). But I almost immediately decided that (for me) the bag was better. I've since packed the poo poo out of that bag with two spare batteries in whatever capacity (2Ah?) the stock batteries were, and two 5 Ah batteries, plus a set of drill, AND driver bits, plus an LED work light. THe bag is getting a little low on space now, but...... If I'd gotten a hard case, I would have had to get a bag or something anyway because it wouldn't have fit all that extra poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Is this as pictured, sans sockets? A buck apiece seems suspiciously cheap, and has me suspecting that you're only buying the rail and the springy bits are extra or something. OTOH, Horror Fright.

Yeah, just get them bitches. Worst case, you go to hazard fraud, open the box and see if they got the springy things in there.
You should get more than what you think you need though. I bought some of them from Princess Auto (same as hazard fraud but in Canuckistan) and when I put sockets on them, by the time I put all my metric, 3/8/whatever sockets on one, there weren't enough of the retainy things. So I had to take some off the other rails. So like, you might end up with empty rails, or rails that only have one or two retainers left because they only came with like 10 retainers, but your set has 15 metric 3/8" sockets or whatever...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Disappointed to learn that Music Factory C and C actually has more than one song.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

coathat posted:

Man Ryobi will try anything

Don't forget to call before you dig.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

You make a joke, but that is always a good idea and it's free. 811 works in all 50 states now.

Truth said in jest, yes.

I deal with locates pretty much every working day.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any opinions on belt sanders and drill presses? For the former, specifically opinions on the handheld ones vs. stationary ones? I guess handheld is better for large pieces and stationary for small ones, but honestly I've never used one before and I figure it's about time I got one.

RE: drill press

https://www.lowes.ca/drill-presses-lathes/porter-cable-15-in-floor-12-speed-drill-press_g1191502.html

This one is pretty good. I've had it at work, for a couple years, and want to dry hump that poo poo almost every time I use it.

Good reviews too. Not just on the lowes site, but on various tool review type blogs and such.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

B-Nasty posted:

I definitely am eyeing a 15" floor standing press myself, but I don't think I can justify the cost over a bench-mount 10", which is about 1/3 the price. Considering I've been limping along without a press, is there something I'm missing that I would cry about if I just got a 10"?

Couldn't tell you about that. I guess if you were working on something bigger and you had to centre your work?

But then, why don't you get a 400 inch press or whatever the gently caress? :v:

I don't have much experience with tons of different ones, just that I've used the one I listed above and its pretty goddam sweet.

YMMV

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dog Case posted:

It doesn't even have any of the sharp parts, the pointy bits are the drive links. But it's definitely made from actual chainsaw links because they have the stamped code that denotes pitch or gauge

Excellent, that means it won't make a clean cut when it becomes a projectile.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've found a new tool that I want for no reason other than to have: an antique portable hand-cranked drill press. :allears:

Saw Micheal Landon using one of them bitches on Little House On The Prairie.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

It does seem to be a little divisive in the reviews but if it's that or a 1 ton steel beast that I have to haul around I'll go for the weird one. It seems to be top of a bunch of top 10 lists for the DIY / low-end trade market.

Buying it local (with a 3 year warranty) means I'll be able to deal with servicing if it actually gets into trouble.

I'm going to keep an eye on nearby used stuff but that's been a complete bust for other tools and I'm not super keen on buying used if I've never used/owned that class of tool before, since I can't really know what "good used" means.

Re drill presses:

This one is pretty good for the money. I've got it at work and its pretty sweet for making holes.

https://www.lowes.ca/drill-presses-lathes/porter-cable-15-in-floor-12-speed-drill-press_g1191502.html

I guess this must assume you'll be able to find it across the pond.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I look forward to the day when you're got a cordless tool, that plugs in to a battery in the wall, and you have unlimited power for like days at a time and you have multiple..... Lets call them outlets around your house where you can plug in this cordless tool to get power for doing various household jobs.

Also; What a good brand of bench top vise? In other words, whats a good Store brand vise? Currently at work we've got a beat rear end Princess auto one that has the jaw inserts missing and to loosen it you turn the handle one way a few turns, then pull the sliding jaw out, then turn the handle, pull etc. It didn't do that when we first got it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Falco posted:

Record and Bessey make decent bench top vises. Wilton is great, especially the older ones, but you would have to search for one outside of a big store.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I literally came back to the shop half an hour ago to a 6 or 8 or something inch vise sitting on the desk.

Its princess auto brand so probably in another year or so I'll have to recall this post :suicide:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think the liability for something like that would be tough.
I swear I can recall someone posting a blog where they rebuilt a Li-Ion battery pack and allegedly (I'm not an electrical engineer) it was done horribly wrong.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

maybe you are remembering Ken's post about the "braile" brand battery he disassembled?

Yeah, who knows. I just remember some reddit(?) post or something where the guy put new cells in a Li-Ion tool battery and some electrical engineers piped up and were all "thats wrong because of X,Y,Z, you're going to burn your house down". And of course because internet, the usual poo poo storm ensues from both sides of the coin.

"well at least he's trying"

"Yeah, but wrong, house burny downy"

"You ain't got the guts to actually TRY and do something"

"Here's why thats a major fire hazard"

And so on.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Wait, so people are buying used carhartts now? poo poo, I got two pairs that were used for drilling in the winter and shop work. They're thread bare, along the thighs, a bit at the knees, and definitely in the cuffs. They got grease stains and burn marks at the bottom cuffs where I've set them on fire from welding.

I was just going to throw them away. Maybe I should put them up on Kijiji....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Well, if you did, you may own my neighbor's snowblower. Saw someone loading it up this morning and wondered. East of Cleveland?

Ok, so be honest, do you talk to this neighbour? Does he take care of his poo poo? is that a good snow blower, or does it just get left out to rot?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Whats a good source for cheap tools in Canada?
Specifically I'm looking for Milwaukee M12 and M18 stuff.
I'm probably about to buy the m18 sawzall and m12 3/8" ratchet.
Home depot has both of them on sale, and in stock locally for less than what my two other usual sources are: Amazon and Blackrock tools.

So yeah, I' ve used Home Despot, Amazon and Blackrock for that poo poo in the past. Is there anywhere else? I'd prefer to not have to bother with dealing with exchange rates.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Crotch Fruit posted:

I know I hate scroll saws and jog saws when they bind, I assume a sawzall might be similar but I completely forgot I own a sawzall so I will give it a try. I'm a little skeptical of it doing the job simply because it is pretty thick metal.

Sharp blade.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

At work we have a Stanley 12v impact and the battery from that looks VEEEEEERRRY similar to my Milaukee m12 battery.

I can't be arsed to look it up, but if Stanley and Milwaukee are made by the same ultra-mega-multinational-evil tool conglomerate umbrella corporation or whatever that makes like 20 different brands of power tools, then they're probably compatible as gently caress.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Also going to post this in the tools thread in AI for more exposure:

Got myself a Milwaukee m18 sawzall a few weeks ago and want to pick up some blades for it. I expect to be using it to cut steel (non-stainless) wood; Dimensional lumber/plywood, and probably a bit of plastic here and there; SCH40 pvc.

What are some good blade brands to look for? I know about different tooth size for different materials and whatnot, but what about brands?
Like is there a brand known for making really good blades for wood, but the stuff they make for cutting metal sucks for example?

Am I fine with just getting blades from (name brand X)?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Have to brag about a score I made yesterday.
I was in Home Despot yesterday looking for something else and came across some discounted Milwaukee batteries.
Specifically these ones:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-m18-18-volt-lithium-ion-high-output-battery-pack-6-0ah/1001129753
The high output XC 6.0 batts for125 bucks each.

Online it shows them priced at 219$ (cdn) which is kinda weird but whatever. In store they were marked as "179, but discounted to 125" Canuck bucks. Whatever, they're cheap. I almost had buyer's remorse and was going to return one of the two I bought, but after looking up the prices online its cheaper than the places that I usually buy my milwaukee poo poo from. Even beat Amazon's price by about 5 bucks or so.

Came in expecting to spend about 30 bucks plus tax, came out about 330 bucks poorer.....

Just had to brag.

One thing I'm curious about, the yellow sticker cited the reason for the discount as being "slow moving product". Its safe to assume that means that the particular batteries that were cheap had been sitting on the shelf for a long time?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 2, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

B-Nasty posted:

Canadians get screwed on these. An excellent (jump on it) price for M18 batteries is $10/Ah in the states. Home Depot had a deal near Christmas that was HO12 + HD8 for $200. That was a steal if you have a use for the biggest battery.

They're still outrageous, though. I've definitely heard some of the China-special knockoffs on Amazon are pretty decent, but they're just expensive enough that I don't want to risk getting a turd.

10bux per AH? Holy gently caress. I should get a passport. Though realistically, I'm pretty much batteried up for a long while. I've got four of the 2AHs and two of the 5AHs. Now with the pair of sixes, and only four tools, one being a work light, I'm probably good until I get a circ saw, or angle grinder.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Probably, do they not have a date of manufacture on them anywhere?

I'll take a look and report back later today.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Took a look. There is a sequence of numbers on the bottom 062318. Probably the date of manufacture. Also checked the serial numbers, they're only a few away from each other..... AWWWWWW !!!! My batteries are like brothers!! :3:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm looking to up my tool sharpening game, and I'm thinking it might be time for some kind of powered grinder.

I currently have a few plates and blocks that I sharpen knives, chisels, etc on. My understanding is that a grinder of some sort is strongly recommended for repairing mucked up edges, are they also useful for general sharpening?

I'd also like to move away from cheapest-available drill bits and maybe start sharpening some high quality ones, though the ones I use most frequently are small (3 or 4mm) brad point woodworking bits, which I doubt I'd want to use on a grinder. I do have a dremel, though.

If getting a grinder is a good move, would I be looking at wheels? Belts? Would need to be benchtop-sized for space reasons, and it wouldn't be terrible if I could give it double duty for sanding wood, but that's very much a nice-to-have.

If its available across the pond, the Drill doctor is supposed to be the poo poo (thats good) for sharpening drill bits.

Don't know about the rest of them though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you don't need anything too big, you could look for a place that does granite counter tops and raid their dumpster.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

THis is probably the most appropriate thread for this:

Got some work boots. They're used, because I wear them for work. I coated them with Mink oil after I bought them, but that was back in the fall. I want to do it again. They're covered with poo poo though. Well dirt actually. Should I just pressure wash them, let them dry, and then go at it with the mink oil? I feel like that might just ram the dirt (silt, clay particles et.al.) in to the leather, but I'm not an expert on work boot care.

I'm obviously going to brush or scrape off the major deposits of crud before I spray them down.....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

These ones: https://www.tscstores.com/MENS-8-REBEL-SAFETY-WORK-BOOTS-P44426.aspx

Not the greatest, but my boss pays for them. I do get good insoles. I'm pissed that the ones I liked were discontinued, but yeah, fuckin good insoles or gently caress off. I prefer the Anti fatigue insoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

For anyone else looking for advice, there actually is a literal boots thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522228

I guess I need to venture in to a few more forums on here.....

Thanks!