Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jenkl posted:

My gut says there's gotta be cheaper ways to achieve this effect, but I've not actually been able to identify one (oh wait, I think Mo just posted one).

Can you cut outside? Edit: you are the yeti of course you can!

If it wasn't for the foil, the goon could probably use a hot wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Didn't Ridgid have a lifetime warranty on something? Either batteries or tools?
Wonder how that will work out in the long run.

A few years ago my dad, brothers and I got my nephew a Milwaukee drill and impact driver set and he was using it at his school/work placement but the batteries (1.5 or 2.0 ah) kept dying because he was using them doing production work so he switched to Ridgid because that's what everyone else was using and he could borrow batteries when needed. Hope he kept the Milwaukee stuff.

Though it'll probably be a while before the Ridgid stuff craps out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Aw poo poo. I think I misunderstood a post or two. I thought Ridgid was discontinuing their power tools.

Or at least their drills, impacts etc.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

the yeti posted:

Back to air compressors, assuming my use cases are confined to my own house, is it the worst idea to upsize beyond a portable ‘will run a small nailer’ model, stick it in the basement, and have enough hose on hand to get to my project?

In my head this gives me future capacity for more air hungry tools and noise isolation (more so if I build a housing for it) with the only drawbacks being upfront cost and accounting for pressure losses on whatever hose length.

Probably depends A LOT on how air hungry your future tools are going to be. 20 gallon compressor tanks are obviously bigger than your pancake and would be fine for running your nail guns and so on, but for a lot of things, including automotive stuff (air ratchet, die grinder, impact etc) its extremely barely adequate.
Hope the actual compressor that comes with it has a high duty cycle.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I pulled 20 gallons out of my rear end as I see compressors frequently with tanks about that size. Iirc pancake compressors are about 5 gallon.
I mentioned duty cycle because once the tank gets depleted enough, if you don't have time to wait for it to charge again the compressor is going to start running and if you're using something like a grinder for more than a minute or three, that compressor is going to be running constantly. As mentioned above of course, a few lug nuts on an impact gun won't matter that much if you just need to change a tire or whatever

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah seriously, like the two worst ones are the supposed "real" screws.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The only good thing about slotted screws is you can use a coin, finger nail or flat piece of something to tighten or loosen in a pinch.
Otherwise gently caress that poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The Top G posted:

x2 definitely the best readily available all purpose grease
\

As long as one of those purposes is not using it for brake caliper slide pins.

Used it extensively and it sucked fuckin poo poo every single time. The only reason I used it for so long is because I'm dumb.

But yeah, don't use it for brake calipers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Used it years ago on my old Mazda before switching to Syl Glide. Every time I switch from summer tires to snows and back I check and lubricate the slide pins if necessary. With the super lube they always were seized. Every fuckin time.

With Syl Glide I could switch sometimes 2 or 3 times before they *needed* it. Like I could say, lube them in the fall, check in the spring, they'd still be fine, check again in the fall, still good and come the following spring they would need to be lubed again.
So a couple tire changes before they needed to be done again.

These days I use the orange or blue(?) ceramic stuff from permatex and it works pretty good. My big tube of Syl Glide is at my brother's place or something and I haven't gotten around to getting it for a while.

And I know about things like too much lube can be as bad as not enough etc..

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rufio posted:

I can get matching bins for my Stanley cup?

You must not be from Toronto.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You must work with me. Seems like most of the people I work with can't seem to understand the concept of ratchet straps.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SpeedFreek posted:

Is there a good source for tubing and tube fittings I don't know about?

I was being stupid/lazy and kinda smashed the tubing and compression fittings coming out of one of the tanks on my air compressor, triage was able to slow the leak to the point I can use it. Mcmaster has exactly what I need but it aint cheap, HD/Lowes/Menards have terrible selection in 1/2" and worse websites.

A lot of stores that sell hydraulic poo poo also sell pneumatic poo poo. If you've got a local parker store or similar, try that.

Don't know about price, whether it's good or bad compared to mc master though. All the poo poo I buy is on account and paid for by my boss/company.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 17, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sash! posted:

Sometimes I get glue on my fingers just to peel it off, which I assume is some kind of psychosis

Hell yeah. The grade school facial peel.

E: uhhh if you're using white glue.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I like my guns like I like my coffee, in my mouth while I cry every morning

I like MY guns like I like my women.
Elegant lines, tasteful engraving, uhhhhhhh two barrels, lots of choke and nice wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you don't use dynamite to destroy cardboard boxes you're a cuck.