Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I just snagged a Snap-On KRL761 with stainless top and hutch for my new garage. The guy had bought it used and wasn't sure of the exact age but he had the box for 10 years and used it daily at a body shop. It's in decent shape with all working drawers etc, but it does have a few scratches and dings that I would like to take care of with touch up paint. Any advice other than sand and paint? I'm horrible with paint and body stuff but this looks easy and I don't care how the bottom parts look - I just want to keep the paint from further flaking.

Other than the cosmetic issues, the quality of this thing is really impressive. Before buying it, I went to Sears, Lowes, and HD and felt boxes and I felt like I could rip off some of the drawers with my bare hands. The Milwaukee boxes at Home Depot feel especially trashy. With this box I feel like I could stand on the shelves and not break them, and they have minimal horizontal wobble. Just to do it I threw every wrench and gripping tool I own into the top drawer and it didn't flinch when opening and closing.

Pics:

rally fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Soo beaten thanks awful app

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any opinions on fiber cement sawblades vs. those shearing attachments you can get for drills? The latter are about 2x as expensive and apparently don't produce as clean of a cut as the former, but it seems like dust production would be a lot lower. How bad is the cut from shears?

I've used an older version of those turbo shears extensively at work. For certain things they are indispensable. We had to cut a lot of circular 8 inch holes in spiral duct trunk lines hung 20 feet in the air and those turbo shears make easy as poo poo compared to any other tool. I wouldn't get them for cutting pieces of duct to size (a sawzall works fine) but for stuff like I mentioned turbo shears all the way . The cut isn't super rough once you get accustomed to them but it isn't any cleaner than you would get using hand snips.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Sniep posted:

Every drill I've ever used makes ozone smell from the motor tho, i guess unless you're used to fancy brushless motor tier stuff..

Yep, even my Milwaukee smelled that way brand new. I have purposefully killed a dewalt drill running it clamped on a bit against a Milwaukee and the smell of the drill actually dying is unmistakable and much more horrible.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Seems appropriate for the gas mixup discussion http://kdvr.com/2016/06/08/drivers-pump-diesel-instead-of-unleaded-due-to-mistake-at-gas-station/

quote:

Last Wednesday, a fuel supplier accidentally filled the underground unleaded gasoline storage tank with diesel fuel

How bad would your car be hosed? I'm surprised if people were able to start up and drive off.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Ffs don't buy a poulan. I spend more time loving with it trying to get It to run than cutting things .

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

coathat posted:

I recently got into wood carving using an angle grinder and I can tell my 10 buck harbor freight grinder is not long for this world. Any recommendations for a new grinder for when mine gives up the ghost? I'm leaning towards a paddle switch model right now.

My harbor freight angle grinder just died a couple weeks ago after almost 10 years of rugged abuse. It sounded horrible from day 1 but it definitely lasted. I got a makita to replace it and have no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
This thread makes me feel way loving better about my heavy asbestos exposure. We can all have a cancer party in 30 years. If the plaster didn't get you the wallpaper glue did!