Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

UberVexer posted:

I've been toying with the idea of getting a small laser cutter to have in the garage for a little over a year. I really like making things out of acrylic, and my Shopbot Router is kind of aggressive when it comes to cutting small features in plastics.

I've been looking at Full Spectrum Laser, (specifically this one http://fslaser.com/products/lasers/hobby-lasers/newhobby and Epilog's series of low cost machines, which are still more money than I'd want to spend on something like this.

Does anybody own one of those hobby lasers, or can anyone recommend me one that they own in the 4k range?

Our hackerspace has an older model of the 40W Hobby Laser. Full Spectrum's support has been less than stellar-- In 3 years, we've experienced 4 sets of electronics go bad (poor design on the stepper drivers, until the latest rev), a laser tube that burned out at 20% it's rated life, and a laser power supply that gave up the ghost without warning. We've also had our fair share of silly problems, like X-axis rollers that melted when cutting small circles through thick material. Except for the first two sets of electronics, we had to pay for everything out of our pocket.

The machine itself is simple and easy to fix. Full Spectrum simply imports Chinese laser cutters, replaces the electronics and software, and slaps a healthy markup on the things. If the electronics in the newer models are solid, it should be a decent tool.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can import your own from China at a great discount. I'm currently working with http://www.wklaser.com/ to import a 100W, 3'x4' laser. With high-end chiller, extra laser tube, and a few other options, they quoted under $7000 to ship FOB LA. I'm still working with a customs broker locally to figure out how to handle the handover in LA, and get the thing to the Midwest, taxes and import fees paid. Overall, it will be less than $10,000, door to door. Probably less than $8500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

Painting is mostly prep. A sprayer adds even more prep time unless it's a vacant that's partially finished.

They also don't apply primer worth a poo poo (to the point where you should go over the primer coat with a roller to really jam it into fresh drywall).

So whether that saves you time or not really depends on what you are trying to paint. If this is a repaint in an occupied home.......gently caress no.

I (mostly) agree with this: If you've got acres of empty wall with little furniture to work around, a paint sprayer is a god-send. Occupied house? Nope.

I disagree about the primer bit, though. Yeah, you've got to backroll it, but that's a hell of a lot easier than rolling it out from nothing, and if you've got someone to help, it goes quick. First time I used a sprayer, two of us were able to lay down 10 gallons in under 8 hours, start to finish.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
I finally broke enough stuff out of my harbor freight ratchet set to pick up a new one. I bought a set from these folks: http://www.tektontools.com/All_Tools

They ended up donating a crapload of hand tools to our hackerspace, and I've yet to use one that isn't decent. This clearly isn't snap-on, but for solid, inexpensive tools a few steps above harbor freight, they're great.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I could use some advice about what lightweight, versatile general tools I should be packing for working in rural Africa.

One of these things? http://kk.org/cooltools/clamptite/