Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
There are several tools that I use a couple times a week that have served me very well.

Echo CS-330T chainsaw w/ 14" bar: light enough that I don't mind carrying it for 8 hours, enough power to quickly chop through what I need(look to another saw for 24" oak logs.) Honestly only regret not having the Farmboss once every 25 times I'm chopping something down, and the smaller saw is so much more maneuverable.

Makita 7-1/4" magnesium-frame Hypoid saw: At 13lbs, its light enough to manage and also doesn't bog down cutting pressure treated lumber or 2" flagstone. The "hypoid drive" means I don't need to change oil like in a wormdrive saw.

Dewalt 13amp reciprocating saw: years of consistently tearing poo poo up without asking questions.

Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder: years of abuse and still running well.

HK Porter Wire Cutters http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100174049/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053: The only wire cutters I've found that have worked for over a full season without either the handle falling off, rusting to pieces, or the bolts holding the blades together backing out. Lowes has their own version as well that have performed equally well.

Stanley FUBAR: Need to tear apart crates/a bathroom/kitchen/anything? This and a 3lb mini-sledge made my life a lot easier.

dinozaur fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

wattershed posted:

I know I'll need either a framing nailer or a finish nailer, but I'm getting mixed signals on which type would be the best for this job and for others of a similar size that I'll do after the table.

I would not consider a finish nailer for making the workbench you posted. Using a 2.5" finish nailer you would not have very much structural support, especially on those 3" and 4" boards pictured.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

mugrim posted:

Anyone ever had an issue with a harbor freight hand tools? I know the power tools are typically something to avoid, but their hand tools are serviceable? I've only bought a couple of scerw drivers and a razor knife from them. The screwdrivers were screwdrivers and the knife was the best I've ever used.

Their "Mini bolt cutters" are the best wire cutters I have ever used, and only cost $4. I cut thick steel wire very frequently at work and they have never failed except when I misplace them. I had tried out many other kinds of cutters and these rock. Along the same lines, I've been extremely happy with my HF heat gun, torque wrench, tarps, hammers, socket holders, tool chest, electric impact wrench, and many more tools. Many of the tools I purchased from HF are used in a constant-use professional environment.

Don't dismiss Harbor Freight tools just because they are inexpensive and made in China.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

Dracon Wolf posted:

Does anyone have any opinions about Echo consumer grade equipment? I know that their commercial grade equipment is pretty much amazing, but I'm looking for a new weed trimmer and I noticed the ones they sell at Home Depot are pretty reasonably priced. I'm sick of buying underpowered cruddy weed trimmers for $70-100 from Walmart.

The Echo leaf blower I bought from Depot has been doing very well with daily use for over a year. I have never used their line trimmers but I assume they're as well made.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

melon cat posted:

I understand. But how big of a compressor are we talking? Would that MAC700 I mentioned earlier be sufficient? The only mobility I'd ever need is to occasionally haul the unit into our house to use the brad nailer during renovations, and that wouldn't be too often.

No. A standard impact wrench uses 5cfm @ 90psi.