Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dobermaniac posted:

I have about 200 dollars in giftcards for Lowes and was looking for a set of tools mainly for small projects around the house. I don't really have anything other than a few hand tools right now so this will be the first of many purchases. My brother who does a lot of construction work said I should get a Dewalt Lithium Ion multi pack of tools, but I didn't want to spend a crazy amount. Is Lion a must? I've seen a few Dewalt set with XRP batteries, but haven't found much information about xrp.

Definitely go lithium ion for anything cordless. What multi pack were you looking at? The main thing that I like to have cordless would be a drill / impact driver. I have this bosch set, and I believe Dewalt has something equivalent for pretty much the same price--maybe this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I would strongly second your impressions. You can get a really decent corded saw for under $100, and if you DO decide you need a cordless saw, you can always just buy a bare tool later. I'd rather save that $300 for a corded saw and all the little things you wind up needing that aren't power tools.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wiha is another good name and it looks like they may have a bit more selection on the precision drivers (at least on Amazon.)

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-27390-Phillips-Screwdriver-Precision/dp/B001AN16QI/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334787280&sr=1-9

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-65090-Precision-Phillips-Screwdriver/dp/B000T9UKR0/ref=sr_1_47?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334787301&sr=1-47

Or... go nuts:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-92092-Master-Technicians-Screwdriver/dp/B000NZ8K7C/ref=sr_1_79?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334787383&sr=1-79

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not by any means an expert but I was looking at getting the same Porter Cable system as I'd also gathered that it was the best bang for your buck option. The extra template is the only difference between the two kits. You'd only need it to make smaller dovetails. That said, it's about half as expensive to get it in the kit instead of picking up the template later. If you might want it at some point it'd be worth getting now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some of their hand tools are decent. I have a ratchet from them I really like, but I also have a set of offset box end wrenches that are baaaarely in spec enough to work on bolts of the marked size without immediately rounding corners.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does it have to be the exact shape of the mini usb port? It seems like the external housings usually have a larger cutout and rely on the connector on the circuit board to hold the cord.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love the WD1450, which has their scroll noise reduction thingy. It's probably the quietest vacuum I've ever used--including regular household vacuums. Might sound like a small thing, but the quietness makes it much nicer to use for long periods.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just discovered that running a circular saw + shop vac on my duplex's garage outlet blows a fuse/circuit breaker sometimes. Thing is, I think it's blowing a fuse on the other side of the duplex because I couldn't find the blown fuse on my panel and the power mysteriously returned after a few minutes. Haven't had the chance to ask the neighbors yet but I reeeally don't want to be knocking their power out constantly. Looks like I'll either have to forgo dust collection, get a cordless saw, or run 100' extension cord from inside the duplex somewhere. Ugh.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, renting. Already had the electrician out for several hours tracking down a shorted wire in the wall somewhere. I guess the place has really strange wiring and the junction box for a huge portion of the duplex was hidden in a wall outlet. I'm going to ask my neighbors if their power went down to see if that is indeed what's going on, but I don't know if my landlord will want to pay for that to be rerouted or whatever. I suppose he really should since that'd also mean they're paying for the electricity we use in there.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's actually a detached garage so I wonder if the side he gave us is actually supposed to be for the other half of the duplex. Moving our stuff over to the other side wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that there are no outlets at all, and we use the garage as a workshop pretty much every night and need power. How much does it cost to rewire something like that? I'd feel bad about having to make that change when he could just as easily "fix" it for the next tenant by reassigning the garage sides.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If anyone's in need of a big combination square, Brown and Sharpe 24" squares are $60 on Amazon right now which is pretty great deal.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I live in a duplex where getting new power run to the garage for tools isn't an option so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get dust collection and run a saw of any kind. My shop vac and circular saw together blow the fuse every time (although I can actually start both and saw a little bit before it blows), while my router on medium speed with the shop vac seems to be OK (haven't tried it on higher speed/more difficult material), and shop vac with little orbital sander is totally fine. The shop vac has an 11 amp motor, the circular saw 15 amp, the router 12 amp, and the sander is something really small like 3 amps. Adding to the complication, the whole garage seems to be wired up to the neighboring duplex's panel so I don't want to experiment too much and I'm not even sure what the circuit is rated for.

For now I've been using a cordless saw, but it sprays half of its dust past the blade guard into my face. The shop vac cuts it down, but not anywhere near enough. I've been eyeing the Festool track saws for quite a while now both because I like the idea of a track saw and because they're supposed to do fantastic with dust collection. My main concern is that I'll get it and still wind up blowing breakers. The TS55 has a 10 amp motor so I was thinking that it, possibly combined with a lower powered dust extractor/something with a variable speed motor, would have low enough draw to avoid overloading the circuit. Any suggestions?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't I need a pretty beefy generator to run power tools? I don't want something super crazy loud but not super crazy loud but powerful seems to be hella expensive.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would something like this work? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-22...uct_description I'd like to stick with something relatively quiet and the Ryobi gets pretty good reviews considering it's half the cost of other inverter generators of similar wattage.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I didn't consider just putting one part of the equation on the generator and the leaving the other on existing power. A standard generator would likely be too loud for where I'm at, unfortunately, so I think I need to stick within inverter ones. Anything that could power both a saw and a shop vac looks crazy expensive, but just the shop vac looks like it'd be fine on the Ryobi I posted earlier.

Edit:

In other news, I picked up a used Festool Trion today and it's fantastic. Never knew a jigsaw could cut so nicely.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Milwaukee has a lot of stuff I wouldn't expect to be cordless, like grease guns and vacuums and poo poo.

I just picked up a Bosch 23 gauge pin nailer and Senco compressor to help me keep stuff aligned while I clamp or pocket screw stuff together. Pretty handy for the little bit I've used them so far. My favorite thing so far is that the compressor is actually very quiet, as is the pin nailer. One question I had though: the instructions say not to leave the compressor in freezing temperatures. Since I have a detached, unheated garage, that'd mean bringing it in from my garage every night in the winter. Is that really necessary?

(edit: it's really light so it wouldn't be a huge issue to do so if necessary.)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought an anant no 4 thinking that it'd be fine if my $30 Stanley block plane was fine and regret it. So far I've been completely unable to get it work well even after hours of sharpening and fiddling. I'm sure my complete lack of experience has something to do with it, but the little Stanley block plane was up and running after just an hour or so of sharpening and tweaking.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squibbles posted:

I still have memories of highschool wood shop where we had to plane the surface of the desks since people had been writing on them. Pretty much every single person complained about their planes not working well (including me) only to have the teacher come over and demonstrate with the "broken" plane and carve up beautiful long ribbons of wood with no problem at all.

Stupid "skill" requirements for manual tools :p

I don't disagree with that, but the Anant plane pretty clearly wouldn't have produced ribbons of wood for anyone out of the box. It took a couple of hour with an extra coarse stone just to get an actual edge on the iron instead of a big flat spot. A bench grinder would probably have made the whole process a lot less tedious I'm sure.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Might've been me talking about trying to add dust collection to my Bosch cordless. Only about half the dust and chips actually go into the guard, the rest spray past it into your face. Thanks to that, my dust collection modification isn't super effective. On my corded Hitachi just putting a vacuum connector over the dust port worked great. Unfortunately, I can't use the Hitachi at the same time as dust collection without blowing fuses.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like these Uvex goggles: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010ZJ50U/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_dp_3

When I just use safety glasses I seem to get dust and poo poo in my eyes that the goggle totally take care of. And yeah, they're cheap enough that you may as well just switch them out more often.

My Bosch pin nailer came with a set of safety glasses that are some of the nicest I've ever had.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cube tap or triple tap maybe?

http://www.filmtools.com/gripdept/electrical/3to1cubtapea.html

http://www.filmtools.com/gripdept/electrical/prime-triple-tap-90-degree-yellow.html

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a used Festool Trion jigsaw for $100 and at that price it's fabulous. Eventually I'd like to pick up one of the TS55 and a dust extractor. A lot of their stuff is priced high enough that I'm sure it'd be well past the point of diminishing returns for my uses, but the TS55 Req is about the same price as Makita and Dewalt equivalents.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

I hate to disagree, but on Amazon the Makita is $200 cheaper and the Dewalt is $100 cheaper, but comes with both rails. If you do buy a Festool, buy the Makita rail. It's cheaper and fits both saws. Same goes for the Dewalt track clamps, they are the easiest/quickest to use. And do your research, there were enough reviews from people having used both and felt the Makita was just as good of a saw for $200 less.

Hm, I could swear they were all nearly the same price when I last checked but seems you're right. In any case, if we wanna talk about expensive tools, howbout the $680 Mafell jigsaw: http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/mafell/MAF-P1cc.html

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most benchtop drill presses I've seen take 1/2" bits, unless you're talking something even smaller? They aren't amazing quality but Ryobi and Craftsman both have 10" drill presses for under $150.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't do anything even remotely big, mostly just a pin nailer and the occasional air blast, but this little guy is very quiet for a small compressor: http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-...enco+compressor It's also super tiny and light so even if you buy something really beefy later it's handy to have around for smaller jobs/portable use.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Foredom is what people who need the ultimate in rotary tooling seem to like. I'm cheap and don't need that so I just have the cheapest current model dremel with variable speed and it seems fine.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any meaningful differences between caulk guns? We just bought a new house and there's lots and lots of caulking that needs to be done. Bathtub, sink, many of the exterior windows, hairline cracks in a cement pad in the back, etc.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, that's a great deal. I already have a Bosch 18v cordless drill so I'm not sure I'd want that, but it looks like they also have some other combos going at the same time: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Tools-and-Hardware-Power-Tools-Milwaukee-Free-Tool-Promotion/N-5yc1vZc9u4

I'm interested in the angle drill, hackzall, oscillating tool, and hammer drill. Hmmm. It's too bad the drill is the only qualifying tool that comes with 2 batteries.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice. Looks like there are combos with the oscillating tool and angle drill as well. Now to decide which one would be the most useful.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not. I do definitely need the hammer part of the hammer drill so I wound up buying a hackzall and bare hammerdrill and just getting the free extended battery. I figure with the hackzall an extended battery will probably come in handy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried out the RAD since it seemed handy but kindof hated it. My hands might be too danty as it was way uncomfortable for me.

What's wrong with the hackzall, not enough power? Already bought it since I thought some people here liked it and I wanted it to help break down some stuff last night. So far it seems to have enough go for my needs. I'm definitely not doing major construction/demolition work though.

Totally agree that the drill + impact is the best deal by far. I just have an 18v drill/impact bosch set that I like already and this gets me a bit of variety.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of LED lights, I just bought this guy and it's awesome: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097TWG7K/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_p1

Battery life is only about 3 hours, but it's incredibly bright and has a very even spread.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

A follow-up question about air compressors.

I'm considering buying this Makita MAC700. Is this one a good choice for a DIYer like me who'll be using it for inflating tires, hooking it up an impact wrench, and brad nailing? I want something that isn't too loud, somewhat-portable (ie. easy to bring around the house without wrecking my back) and can be operated indoors without issue.

Impact wrenches need big compressors. If you want decent portability you may want to give up on that part of it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have that hitachi and it seems good, but I'm very much a light user and it's the only miter saw I've ever used.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are airtools actually useful for woodworking? I'm certain a rattle gun would be useless, I could see using a spray gun for finish and an air nailer might be nice but not used enough to justify purchasing a compressor. I am tempted to get a compressor, but honestly I think the main reason I want one is so that I can air up my tires in the garage instead of driving to the nearby gas station in -20F with high wind to spot either a half dozen cars lined up or discover the air is out of order.

I bought a compressor just to have a pin nailer and the ability to air up tires. It's totally worth it. That said, I bought a teeny tiny one that can't do much more than that so it wasn't a huge investment.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For step up garden hose reels, my company does some work for these guys and they make good stuff: http://www.eleyhosereels.com/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Can you recommend a good corded impact driver for under $100? I still am not ready to transition to cordless, and all I see for corded are well over $100 with the exception of a Porter Cable, Craftsman, or Harbor Freight. I am tempted to get the Harbor Freight because on paper the specs are better, it's cheaper, and they can't gently caress up something as simple as a drill, right?? :suicide: Besides, I am already familiar with their returns process. :v:

My advice is to just save up a little more and get something cordless. Cordless is way nicer for most people for most situations, even if you are near an outlet. Something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-1-4-in-Impact-Driver-Kit-2462-22/204316313

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Picked up a FLIR e4 camera this weekend. I love it, it is already saving me money finding the horribly done insulation job and other issues from the morons who built this place.

I just bought one of these and, while I have no idea how it compares to a dedicated unit since I've never used one, it's pretty awesome for $200: http://obtain.thermal.com/product-p/lw-aaa.htm

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd love to have something like that but the cost makes no sense for me as someone who wants it 75% for the neat factor and 25% for DIY projects. The Seek is good enough to be fun to mess with and somewhat useful (to me anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Bosch is nice enough, but I'd way rather buy into Milwaukee's 12v line. Bosch's selection isn't anywhere near as extensive. I suppose that doesn't matter so much if you don't plan on getting other tools though.

Having a cordless set in addition to a big corded drill doesn't seem too redundant. It's super handy to have a cordless drill for smaller stuff.