Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hubis posted:

Thank you. This is what I needed to be told.

Seriously, I've been using a Ryobi TS for a couple years and have never been able to figure out how to use it in a way that feels safe, effective, or accurate. I just got a new Delta 36-725 and it's a completely different experience. Everything about the Ryobi TS is garbage. If you've got a good table saw that you use a lot, getting rid of the miter saw might be a better idea, since with a nice crosscut sled the table saw is probably just as good, if not better for crosscuts than the miter saw. I still like having a miter saw, especially for rough 2x4-style construction projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Knock the loose dirt off with a brush, use a damp rag to get the rest of it. Scrub with saddle soap, let it dry, then buff it off with a dry rag, then apply some conditioner. Mink oil is fine. I like Huberd's shoe grease (might darken the color some) or Obenauf's.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I. M. Gei posted:

I would LOOOOOOVE to have a miter saw, but all of the ones with the features I want (dual bevel, sliding, stand included, laser guide, preferably a 12” blade) are way outside my price range at the moment.

Deffo gonna look into this. Thanks!

Honestly I’ve never had any issues with using corded tools. I thought something cordless might open up the number of things I could do a bit whenever I start woodworking for real (I’ve been wanting to do this for awhile), but I have no problem with corded. We have tons of extension cords.

If you want to get into serious woodworking you're probably going to want a table saw. Since I've gotten a decent table saw, the only thing I want to use my miter saw for is cutting long boards to length (often, rough length). A table saw with a crosscut sled/a good miter gauge will do exact and repeatable cuts much better. I have a $90 Ryobi miter saw and a shop-built stand and it's basically everything I want. It would be nice to get a slider so I could handle more width, but I can always cut rough length with a circular saw or jigsaw and then get precise length on the table saw.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I want to get an air-powered 18ga brad nailer and probably a 23ga pin nailer as well. Is there such a thing as "good brands" for these? I have a brad nailer/stapler from Harbor Freight that I only use for invisible stuff because it leaves a staple-shaped indent, and like 20% of nails go in bent. Weirdly, the nailer/stapler is like $20, but a dedicated HF brad nailer is like $60. Any recommendations for these?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm a DIYer and hobbyist woodworker, and the Ryobi stuff is totally fine (except the table saw, do not under any circumstances buy a Ryobi table saw) so I'd rather spend half as much money and have to replace it in 5 years. I'm not on a job site, I'm not putting 40 hours of wear on these tools. I charge my batteries like once a month.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just got an oscillating multitool for the first time and have already used it like 5 times why haven’t I always had one?!

Cutting Formica/laminate still sucks, but this thing does a pretty good job at it with a semi-circular sawblade thing.

I hear everyone say this, and then the jobs they say are so much easier with it are things I've never had to do.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've never used an angle grinder and I really don't want to. I don't feel the same fear with a router though. I feel like I might gently caress up my piece, but not my parts.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Agreed, for what you're talking about (planter boxes, fence stuff) you're probably going to be fine with a miter saw and maybe a circular saw. Miter saws are great at making crosscuts (across a long board) and, well, miter cuts.

Circular saws are useful for cutting down plywood or other sheet goods, and with proper support and an edge guide can make acceptable rip cuts in solid lumber. There's all sorts of other stuff you can do with a circular saw if you're comfortable with it and willing to do some cleanup by hand.

I've made a lot of planter boxes with just a miter saw and a drill for screwing it together. An impact driver helps it go faster, but it's not strictly necessary. I've never built a fence or a gate, but you shouldn't need a table saw for that. If you can get what you need to get done with lumber from HD/Lowe's/etc crosscut to length/cut at a miter, you don't need a table saw.

edit: get clamps, at least one square (probably a speed square or a 12" combination square) and something you can use a long straight edge, like a good level

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DreadLlama posted:

Decks are just frames and you build decks with screws.

Decks aren't under anything like the same loads as houses.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bioshuffle posted:

I need a drill for just all around usage around the home. I don't anticipate doing a lot of projects. What's a good starter drill? Will I see any difference if I use a Dewalt drill instead of a Ryobi?

I like my Ryobi drill just fine, I do average around-the-house stuff with it as well as weekend hobbyist woodworking. The battery platform is also cheap and they have a ton of useful-around-the-house tools for it (dustbuster, weed whacker, etc)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Orvin posted:

It’s time for me to start buying some cordless tools. My wife just ordered an outdoor playhouse for my kids, and putting it together with a regular screwdriver has my hand already cramping up. I figure I will be greatly annoyed at trying to use my corded drill as a screwdriver that much.

I am first looking for a cordless screwdriver. With the playhouse, and all the other things that will need to be assembled for my kids, something a little more compact than a drill would probably be nice.

I am pretty clueless when it come to manufacturer quality. I have seen Ryobi mentioned in the last couple of pages. Have they gotten better compared to 15ish years ago? My first couple of cordless drills from them In the early 2000’s were junk with batteries that wouldn’t hold a charge long enough to drive more than 1-2 screws.

I am willing to spend over $100 for a quality tool, especially if the battery system is good and will be around for awhile. I would prefer to keep to a single system so I don’t have to have 10 different chargers plugged in all over the place. But if there is a good one for less, I don’t need to spend big money on tools. I want quality, and realize that can come with a cost.

They don't have an electric screwdriver on the 18V One+ battery platform, because it would defeat the purpose of a small tool like that. But if you want a cordless drill, which I think is good to have around for all sorts of home stuff, their 18V drill is perfectly fine and cheap. The old batteries were NiCad I think, and they were garbage, but the new (like last 10 years or so) ones are LiIon like everything else. Same form factor and voltage though, so they're compatible with old tools and vice versa.

You might consider the drill and impact driver, which they sell as a bundle and is often on sale. It's very useful to have a pilot hole bit in the drill and be able to pre-drill and then drive screws without changing bits.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Elem7 posted:

Impact drivers tend to run a little smaller than drills as well so there's that. One issue with Ryobi's cheap entry level drills is they're quite large compared to most modern equivalents, not really enough to be a problem in most cases but if that's really a concern for you it's something to watch for.

If you really value compactness you could consider going 12v, they're plenty powerful for most home owner uses, it's only when you need to use 1"+ auger bits or large hole saws they become iffy. You're going to be looking at Milwaukee if you want a battery system with the largest breadth of tools available in 12v but their basic entry level brushed 12v tools run around the same price as Ryobi's 18v stuff, if you go 12v you definitely want an impact driver to go with the drill.

NiCad tools sucked compared to modern Lithium tools but man, they didn't suck that bad, I assume you're exaggerating a little but you probably had defective batteries or something.

The first drill I ever had was a Black & Decker 12V NiCad and after a year or so it needed a full charge to run for like 10 minutes of light use.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Any recommendations for a high quality hand saw? I'll be mostly using it for crosscuts on hardwood when I don't feel like using the powered miter saw.

This might be more of a question for the woodworking thread so I'll post it there too.

I bought a ~$20 Japanese Ryoba saw for basically this reason and I love it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I bought a Delta 36-725 after Christmas, I'm very happy with it. It took a bit of fiddling to get the blade aligned, but for the price point, it's pretty unbeatable. If you have the space for it, I highly recommend it. My shop is very small (~9'x20'), so the table saw is basically the center of it, and it really only just fits.

If you really need the jobsite size, I've heard good things about the DeWalt jobsite saw. Avoid the Ryobi at all costs. I thought that thing was going to kill me every time I turned it on.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I. M. Gei posted:

Cool, thanks. :)

On another note, are any of these good sanders for a tight space (less than 4” wide)?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Corner-Cat-Finish-Sander-Tool-Only-P401/206354299
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...-P450/206955207

I want to get the Ryobi 6A corded 3”x18” belt sander and save some cash, but with all that tool bulk on the side it looks like it won’t fit in the space I need. I may have to grab a cordless one on eBay for cheaper than Home Depot.

Something like that corner cat is going to be your best bet for tight spaces. If that won't fit, you're going to have to hand sand. I don't know what you're trying to do, but "belt sander" and "tight spaces" usually aren't in the same sentence. Belt sanders are for quickly removing lots of material when you can easily move them around.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FogHelmut posted:

It's a good idea to keep extra levels in various rooms around the house to make sure everything stays true, and you can't discount level apps for use in a pinch.

This is assuming there's even a single thing in my house that's true, square, plumb, or flat.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

So a while ago, before I had any idea what I was doing, I inherited a 12" Ryobi drill press. I used it a little, but it's mostly sat on the floor. Now that I'm doing more woodworking, I want to get it back up and running smoothly.

It runs, but the handle for the speed adjustment is broken off:

While it's running, I can turn the "speed adjust hub" and adjust the speed between about 1300 RPM and 2800 RPM, but the manual recommends dropping the speed down to 500 for a 1 5/8" hole in wood. (Side note: is it really not recommended to use Forstner bits bigger than that?) I'm not sure I could get it that low with a handle, but I'm willing to try it.

I guess my question is: how can I get the snapped off threaded part of the handle out? I can probably fashion a handle with a bolt or threaded rod and a shop-made knob. Alternatively, how could I drill and tap another hole in the hub there so I could put a handle in somewhere else? I know basically nothing about metalworking, but I have woodworking tools.

Also, what sort of other maintenance should I do on a drill press that's been sitting mostly idle for probably about a decade? What do I need to lubricate, and with what lubricants?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SpartanIvy posted:

Now I want to see Ryobi brand Velcro shoes

Problem is you need a 1" wide hole in your heel so the battery can fit.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Listen, I don't know why it's SO HARD to get a recommendation for DECENT yak shears that won't break when shaving a very thick yak pelt, for under $300. I drove six hours to the yak supply store, why can't you just tell me which yak shears to buy. I need to finish my fence TODAY.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The only air tools I own are a brad nailer and crown stapler, but I'm primarily focused on woodworking.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SEKCobra posted:

Guys, should I buy an air compressor? I just got a (small) rented garage and I am trying to figure out what I should put in there. Will I be using it, or is it just a waste of space and money? (Assuming I probably won't be using air-powered tools).
I could get a 24l compressor for a hundo including basic tools like blower and inflator.

What are you going to use it for? You're not using air tools, do you expect you're going to be filling tires or blowing something out frequently?

It's up to you, but if you don't have a regular use for it, it's just gonna take up space.

I have a compressor for air nailers, but the fact that I need to plug in and fill the compressor before I can use an air tool makes me not want to use it most of the time.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I had a miter saw on the floor (unplugged), tripped over it, pushed it down so the blade was exposed, and fell into a tooth of the blade with my shin. I still have no idea how I did it, but it kind of bruise-gouged my shin through jeans and I still have a scar/discoloration a year and a half later. I don't even think it bled though?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I have the Ridgid brad nailer and I've never had it jam or anything. But I also don't use it an awful lot.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I think my miter saw has a laser that takes AAAs, I've never used it. I think what it would be good for is quickly lining up against a pencil line. So in a situation where you're cutting up a bunch of framing lumber or something where 1/32" isn't a big deal, it probably lets you go faster, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

There's not an awful lot of differences between miter saws though, so get whatever fits your budget and has the features you want.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

nitsuga posted:

Is the 40V Ryobi String Trimmer as great as it looks? I don’t need any other lawn tools right now, but I do want a string trimmer, and it looks like kind of a home run price wise. Could see myself getting a mower if my Snapper ever gave up the ghost too.

My neighbor has it and I've borrowed it a few times. No complaints, it did the job fine.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There's some broken shatterproof glass in my alley, which I'd like to get picked up. I have a big Ridgid shop vac, would that handle it? Should I take the filter out first?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FCKGW posted:

Got a new compound slider miter for my birthday, hopefully replace my 10+ year old 10" fixed Ryobi and my 7 1/4" sliding Kobalt

Went with the newly refreshed 10" compound sliding Skil and I'm really liking it. Very solid machine, comes with a shadow line and seems to be trying to position itself next to the DeWalt but at a $250 price point. Skil's becoming the "prosumer" line from Chervon and based on this guy I'm probably going to go for their table saw once inventory comes back.

Can this be stored so that the rails aren't sticking out the back? I need everything on casters in my tiny shop, so I can/will pull it out from the wall, but the extra depth is what's kept me from getting a slider. It's that or spend twice as much on the delta/metabo/bosch that have the whole glide thing.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Literally A Person posted:

Anything but those loving "quick-grip" style shits. Never had one that reliably lasted more than a year.

Also if you ever need some 6' long bar clamps DO NOT get the cheapos from harbor freight. They are extra trash.

Like the Irwin Quick Grip ones? I use those and the DeWalt equivalents all the time, never had a problem with them. They're a little bulkier than F-style clamps so sometimes they're less than ideal to get in a tight spot, but otherwise they're great.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks for the miter saw tips, y'all. Any thoughts on sliding/compound/compound sliding?

I don't think I'll need the additional double bevel, but I dunno what the pros/cons of the sliding or compound features are.

Compound means you can both tilt the head (roll) to make bevel cuts and turn the head (yaw) to make miter cuts. For complex molding jobs that can be useful, but I've never had to make a compound cut myself. The sliding feature means you can cut significantly wider boards, but the sliding rails stick out the back on all but the most expensive models, so it takes up more space.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

canyoneer posted:

Doing baseboards in my house with a 10" Ryobi slider was so much easier than using the 10" non-sliding Hitachi. This was because I was cutting 4 1/2" baseboards though, so I needed the slide unless I wanted to flip the piece over and try to match the cut (NOT FUN).

Weird, I can cut 2x6 on my 10" non-sliding Ryobi (at 90, not at 45).

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I have the Ryobi Dustbuster and it whips rear end.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Alarbus posted:

But it can be!

And then you end up with kegs in it. Then you need another one...

Seriously considering de-converting my 7CF keezer and just using it as a freezer, then buying a 10-14CF freezer to convert to a keezer and using my 5CF freezer (which has food in it now) as a fermentation chamber. Then I can use my 4CF mini fridge as a dedicated seltzer kegerator.

I have too many refrigerators.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

NomNomNom posted:

Biggest problem with a keezer is that moisture builds up and leads to mold inside.

Mine mostly freezes, so I just have to take everything out and defrost now and then.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I. M. Gei posted:

Why did you have to show me this website? Why must you make me want things I cannot afford?

Speaking of table saw poo poo (that I cannot yet afford), is the Delta 36-725T2 still the go-to first-timer table saw?

I have the original one (not the T2) but I love mine. Heads up, Ridgid is now branding what appears to be the exact same saw painted orange as the R4560: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-10-in-Contractor-Table-Saw-with-Cast-Iron-Top-R4560/315635451, in case you have a color preference, or one's on sale, or you have a gift card or something.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FISHMANPET posted:

Ah poo poo I'm gonna need some clamps!

Harbor Freight clamps are actually decent, and they're cheap as hell.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sockser posted:

Yup yup that’s the guy

I wanted to capacity of a slider but without all the loving required space in the back and AFAIK the only saws that don’t do that are Bosch, Delta, and Festool

Paid $500 for the cruzer from menard’s last summer plus an 11% rebate that I never cashed in because it was actually just a menard’s gift card and I don’t live near a menards

Metabo HPT has one now, and Ridgid is selling a rebranded copy of the Delta now.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I tend to buy 1lb boxes of screws so I don't need storage for a million larger boxes, and every box comes with a bit. I can't spin around and throw a rock without hitting a star drive bit.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

heffray posted:

Ryobi or Ridgid stuff from https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/ has been fine for me (18V brushless circ saw, Ridgid thickness planer, etc).

Same. I've bought some recon Ryobi batteries as well for $20 a pop, haven't noticed a difference other than they've got the word RECON melted into the casing. I assume they replaced the 18650s.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Got a new-in-box Ridgid belt/spindle sander for $120 from a friend who's trying to get rid of a bunch of their dad's stuff after he passed. No idea how long it had been sitting there.

The only thing that was weird is that most of the bottom of the tool (and sneaking up the sides a little bit) there was a bunch of machine oil. Like, it was pooled in the bag the tool was packaged in. I just wiped it off with shop rags. I'm assuming that was just there to protect parts from rusting/etc in transit, right? I don't need to worry that the motor isn't properly lubricated because all the motor juice came out after a couple years of sitting in a garage? I've just never seen that much oil on a tool before, especially one that's painted stamped steel for the top and plastic for the body. It runs fine, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E:

Check the manual but if the spindle oscillates up and down it may run in an oil bath and that may be all the oil from it leaking out.

The only thing the manual says is:

quote:

Lubrication
All bearings in tool are self-lubricating.
They require no further lubrication