Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So I have system with 2 pioneer tower speakers and a center, as well as a subwoofer.

My receiver supports wireless surrounds. I would be interested in surrounds but don't know that I actually care about the wireless part. I have a drop ceiling in my living room that I can run wires through. I probably want them wall mounted pointed down and small given how my room setup is.

What would be the best surrounds to get if I only ever watch stuff that would utilize it every once in a while? Do I need to match brands? Is wired going to get me better quality for price?

Can smeone just point me to a pair that'd work well for decent cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chin Strap posted:

So I have system with 2 pioneer tower speakers and a center, as well as a subwoofer.

My receiver supports wireless surrounds. I would be interested in surrounds but don't know that I actually care about the wireless part. I have a drop ceiling in my living room that I can run wires through. I probably want them wall mounted pointed down and small given how my room setup is.

What would be the best surrounds to get if I only ever watch stuff that would utilize it every once in a while? Do I need to match brands? Is wired going to get me better quality for price?

Can smeone just point me to a pair that'd work well for decent cost?

Something that's easy to wall mount is obviously the best but you didn't list a budget. I assume you're talking about the Andrew Jones speakers so getting the bookshelf version of those is certainly cheap but those are heavy and don't have a factory wall mount/bracket option.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

qirex posted:

Something that's easy to wall mount is obviously the best but you didn't list a budget. I assume you're talking about the Andrew Jones speakers so getting the bookshelf version of those is certainly cheap but those are heavy and don't have a factory wall mount/bracket option.

They are SP-FS-51 which are the previous iteration I guess?

I dont really have a budget. If there's a decent easy to wall mount option is pay a bit more for that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Surrounds are the last things you really need to care about matching brand or tone so I wouldn’t worry about that.

B&W M1s make great surrounds and come with their own wall (or ceiling) mounting system. They’re $250 each but you can find them on sale sometimes I think.

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Any opinions on Vizio soundbars? I picked up a Yamaha ATS-2090 (Costco version of the YAS-209) recently for a simple solution for my small apartment. However, Costco just put the Vizio SB36514-G6 5.1 system on sale for the same price. I’m happy with the Yamaha but the Vizio is $200 off and is 5.1. I am concerned about some of the reviews complaining about quality issues with it.

Link to Vizio sound bar: https://www.costco.com/vizio-sb3651....100658554.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
CEC just up and quit on me.
I used to just rely on optical out to my Emotiva and that worked great until it didn't.
So I fell back on using HDMI ARC and it worked great when I enabled "Samsung Anynet+ CEC" or whatever they call it. Then yesterday it just stopped working. No audio over HDMI, no CEC functions. What the fuckkkkkk?
I'm pretty sure it's my Samsung TV just making GBS threads the bed since no other devices seem to be able to CEC now either.Still it's frustrating as all hell.

Is this a thing that happens or is my TV probably slowly dying?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Try a different HDMI cable. Marginal cables can have problems with ARC.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

CEC just up and quit on me.
I used to just rely on optical out to my Emotiva and that worked great until it didn't.
So I fell back on using HDMI ARC and it worked great when I enabled "Samsung Anynet+ CEC" or whatever they call it. Then yesterday it just stopped working. No audio over HDMI, no CEC functions. What the fuckkkkkk?
I'm pretty sure it's my Samsung TV just making GBS threads the bed since no other devices seem to be able to CEC now either.Still it's frustrating as all hell.

Is this a thing that happens or is my TV probably slowly dying?

All Samsung TVs do that all the loving time, and you can't even power cycle them properly with just the remote. Pull the plug on the TV, wait 5 seconds and put it back in, and it will all work nicely again, until next time. CEC worked perfectly for 7 years straight in my old 40" Sony LCD TV with my receiver and Playstations, but after I switched to a 4K Samsung it's been hell, and everyone I know with a Samsung TV has the same issue.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You can reset a Sony TV using the remote by holding the power button for 30 seconds or so.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

Try a different HDMI cable. Marginal cables can have problems with ARC.

I pulled all my poo poo apart and tried like 6 different cables of varying qualities and lengths all with the same result.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I pulled all my poo poo apart and tried like 6 different cables of varying qualities and lengths all with the same result.

But have you tried unplugging the power cable for 5 seconds? :allears:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wibla posted:

But have you tried unplugging the power cable for 5 seconds? :allears:

Not yet. I'm replying from work and I'll give it a shot when I get home. If that works I'm gonna be so mad.
I already deleted all the programmed sources and basically factory reset the TV in an attempt to get it set up from scratch.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can someone give me a sanity check on my plans? I want a 3.1 system to replace my sound bar. I have a pretty small living room with no good way to put surrounds up so I'm going for a 3.1 system. Primary use is for watching movies and playing videogames.

Here are the components I have picked out:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V485BL-5-1-Channel-Receiver-MusicCast/dp/B07CF9H3KW
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Signature-S15-technology-Detachable/dp/B01LVWWZS0
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-American/dp/B01LW8H3NX

I also haven't decided on a sub yet, any recommendations? I would like to keep the cost of the entire system under $1,000.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If you don't mind brown instead of black, Accessories4Less has the Polk S15 in stock with free shipping for $140:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polks15brn/polk-audio-signature-s15-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-brown-pair/1.html

Unless you really need the low height of the S35 center channel, I think you'd be much better served with the S30, which they have in brown for $150:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polks30brw/polk-audio-signature-s30-5.25-2-way-center-channel-speaker-brown/1.html

They do normally have black, but their stock levels have been really low lately. If you cared enough I'm sure they'd have them back in stock eventually.

For a sub, you could do the matching HTS 12 for $349 (I have zero experience with this one, but it fits in your price range):

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polkhts12brn/polk-audio-hts-12-12-200-watt-powered-subwoofer-brown-walnut/1.html

All of that, together with your chosen receiver, comes to $988.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're tight on budget you could start without a center [or without a sub but I'd rather have one]. Those Polks are good [especially at those prices from AC4L] but I'd agree with TheMadMilkman, the S30 is a better choice unless you absolutely can't fit it. I've heard the BIC America F12 is one of the better cheap subs. If you skip the center I'd look at the RSL Speedwoofer 10S at $400.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TheMadMilkman posted:

If you don't mind brown instead of black, Accessories4Less has the Polk S15 in stock with free shipping for $140:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polks15brn/polk-audio-signature-s15-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-brown-pair/1.html

Unless you really need the low height of the S35 center channel, I think you'd be much better served with the S30, which they have in brown for $150:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polks30brw/polk-audio-signature-s30-5.25-2-way-center-channel-speaker-brown/1.html

They do normally have black, but their stock levels have been really low lately. If you cared enough I'm sure they'd have them back in stock eventually.

For a sub, you could do the matching HTS 12 for $349 (I have zero experience with this one, but it fits in your price range):

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polkhts12brn/polk-audio-hts-12-12-200-watt-powered-subwoofer-brown-walnut/1.html

All of that, together with your chosen receiver, comes to $988.
This is awesome, I'd rather have brown than black anyway. Guess I'll have to measure the clearance under my TV to see if the S30 will fit.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If I send a PCM 5.1 signal to a 3.1 soundbar, does the soundbar downmix the signal to 3.1 or would I be missing the other channels?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If I send a PCM 5.1 signal to a 3.1 soundbar, does the soundbar downmix the signal to 3.1 or would I be missing the other channels?

It should downmix them. If you have the option of using surrounds with your bar you may need to look for an option to turn off the surrounds

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can anyone comment on these?

https://www.kantoaudio.com/powered-speakers/yu6/

I have a pretty minimal setup which I'm trying to reduce even more. I wanted to find something that would work with my turntable and also bluetooth. This would obfuscate the need for my phono pre-amp, audio interface and JDS labs headphone amp.

I have a desk with my computer facing one wall, and then the turntable would go on my tv stand on the opposite wall, and I would put the speakers on the stands so they would be right next to the mounted tv on both sides.

If there are any other speakers that have bluetooth and also work with an analog turntable that you can recommend too please let me know! thanks.

Ideally I'd like something that I don't really need a subwoofer for. I have KRK rokit 5 monitors which have very little bass.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

actionjackson posted:

Can anyone comment on these?

https://www.kantoaudio.com/powered-speakers/yu6/

I have a pretty minimal setup which I'm trying to reduce even more. I wanted to find something that would work with my turntable and also bluetooth. This would obfuscate the need for my phono pre-amp, audio interface and JDS labs headphone amp.

I have a desk with my computer facing one wall, and then the turntable would go on my tv stand on the opposite wall, and I would put the speakers on the stands so they would be right next to the mounted tv on both sides.

If there are any other speakers that have bluetooth and also work with an analog turntable that you can recommend too please let me know! thanks.

Ideally I'd like something that I don't really need a subwoofer for. I have KRK rokit 5 monitors which have very little bass.

Those will likely be worse than your KRK's with regards to bass.
Also, subwoofers are called that because they are more geared towards sub-bass. Like the kind of bass you can feel but not hear. No 5" speaker is gonna do that well.
Those look pretty nifty though. It's cool that they have a phono stage built in and a remote control.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those will likely be worse than your KRK's with regards to bass.
Also, subwoofers are called that because they are more geared towards sub-bass. Like the kind of bass you can feel but not hear. No 5" speaker is gonna do that well.
Those look pretty nifty though. It's cool that they have a phono stage built in and a remote control.

Do you have a recommendation for another pair of speakers that do bluetooth + turntable pre-amp but are larger and deliver more bass?

Or would you suggest getting these but then adding a subwoofer? Looks like this is the only one they sell https://www.kantoaudio.com/subwoofers/sub8/

I think a subwoofer would also need to not stand out too much. is it typically positioned right in between and below the speakers?

I'm not an audiophile or anything, and am very much looking for a minimal, clean look. So that's part of why I also like these. I was considering just putting one on the left and right interior spaces in the besta. Otherwise I would get the stand.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 5, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A subwoofer goes wherever it sounds best. Sound is physics and more often than not, where you want to place a sub for aesthetic reasons is where it will perform its job worst unfortunately.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That was partly why I was asking about other possible speaker pairs that would give enough bass to not need a separate subwoofer. What about the audioengine stuff like the A5+? no phono connection but I already have the pre-amp.

Also the subwoofer position is going to have to be.. you know pretty close to the speakers. That's why I was wondering about just putting it in the besta (put probably not having a door on). then I could have the speakers on stands next to the besta.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 5, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you want to do without a sub then some BIG floorstanders will be as good as you'll get and although it will sound a lot fuller than bookshelf speakers, still won't dig as deep as a subwoofer designed for that specific purpose. I ran floorstanders without a sub for a while due to space restrictions and it honestly sounded great but when I put the sub back in I realised just how much was missing without it.

You can buy floorstanders with built in subs but they're enormous, expensive and again where you want them might not be where they sound best.

When it comes to speakers Hoffman's iron law is the rule: loud, low, small, pick 2. You can definitely have a great sounding system with smaller speakers though, it'll just be missing the cinematic low end and to some that is the whole point.

Sub positioning in the last 2 places I've lived has worked best behind the sofa. Currently it's in a corner. You unfortunately can't tell where is best just by looking, a decent sub is a commitment to possibly throwing out your feng shui to get it working as well as it can.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 5, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Olympic Athlete hit the nail right on the head.
I'd go with big floor standing speakers, personally. However the Kef LS50 Wireless are very good speakers but they still won't produce the sub-bass that a subwoofer will.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Olympic Athlete hit the nail right on the head.
I'd go with big floor standing speakers, personally. However the Kef LS50 Wireless are very good speakers but they still won't produce the sub-bass that a subwoofer will.

hmm yeah those are $2500 lol. you guys are clearly wayyy more into audio stuff than I am, which I suppose is expected in this thread.

so it sounds like I'll want to get a subwoofer no matter what, which is fine. I'll do that first and go from there. Thanks for all the help! :)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 5, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

actionjackson posted:

so it sounds like I'll want to get a subwoofer no matter what, which is fine. I'll do that first and go from there. Thanks for all the help! :)
I think part of the problem is that you're trying to replicate the sound of a device explicitly meant for recreating sound ranges that towers won't/can't hit. You're not getting that out of $200 Fry's Friday specials.

It's a bit like trying to recreate a microscope with some old eyeglasses.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I think part of the problem is that you're trying to replicate the sound of a device explicitly meant for recreating sound ranges that towers won't/can't hit. You're not getting that out of $200 Fry's Friday specials.

It's a bit like trying to recreate a microscope with some old eyeglasses.

I really just want to get some bass out of my setup, so I'm going to add a subwoofer to help with that. I think I'm going to keep everything in the same position as before, i.e. I have my computer desk and then the turntable right next to it. I actually listen to a lot of ambient, but when I do have some things with bass it'd be nice to hear it :p

I'm going to also talk to someone at Crutchfield. Here are a few highly rated 10" ones at best buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-audio-psw-series-10-active-subwoofer-black/9154073.p?skuId=9154073

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-10-115w-active-subwoofer-black/5721005.p?skuId=5721005

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 5, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a general guide to speakers at various price points somewhere, kind of like we have for TVs?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a general guide to speakers at various price points somewhere, kind of like we have for TVs?

Speakers come down to personal preference way more than TVs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BigFactory posted:

Speakers come down to personal preference way more than TVs.

Really?

Is there a place that at least has a list of speakers to check out in a given price range? Specifically for home theater use?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Really?

Is there a place that at least has a list of speakers to check out in a given price range? Specifically for home theater use?

I’m sure there are plenty out there, but I still would want to hear speakers before I buy them. Or do what I do and buy 5 pairs of vintage speakers instead of one pair of new speakers and just use the ones you like th e best that week.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Kantos are fine, they have more bass than Audioengines do from reviews I’ve read. They go on sale a lot too. You can add a sub later if you want.

Maybe shop them against these? No phono pre but otherwise look comparable and have a remote.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 5, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just talked to crutchfield, and while getting different powered monitors (he suggested the Yamaha HS8) that would obfuscate the need for a separate subwoofer would be nice, we discussed this 10" subwoofer instead which would be a pretty big savings relatively speaking. It goes down to 32 Hz and has 150W of power.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_405WND10B/KLH-Windsor-10.html

He recommended me these cables. Is spending this much absolutely necessary or is it just a rip-off like those monster cables?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_703EGRR06M/AudioQuest-Evergreen-0-6-meter-2-feet.html?tp=1904

qirex posted:

The Kantos are fine, they have more bass than Audioengines do from reviews I’ve read. They go on sale a lot too. You can add a sub later if you want.

Maybe shop them against these? No phono pre but otherwise look comparable and have a remote.

I ended up deciding that I might switch to a bluetooth monitor setup, but only if I get rid of my tv, because then I would probably do a turntable.... table setup over there instead.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 5, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do not buy $45 RCA cables.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

I ended up deciding that I might switch to a bluetooth monitor setup, but only if I get rid of my tv, because then I would probably do a turntable.... table setup over there instead.

You should do that. Music is better than tv.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

qirex posted:

Do not buy $45 RCA cables.

yeah I won't haha

I assume these are fine https://www.crutchfield.com/p_979CRA202/Hosa-Stereo-RCA-Cable-6-6-foot.html

They would go from the unbalanced on the back of the monitors into the subwoofer.

BigFactory posted:

You should do that. Music is better than tv.

I agree, I don't actually watch tv because it's terrible, but I do like to play video games at low volume while I listen to music over it.

The nice thing is that with what I'm getting I can always adapt to that setup in the future I want. Just wall mount the besta, replace my monitors with bluetooth speakers and put those along with the turntable on the besta. The subwoofer could go underneath or to the side. bing bong so simple

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 5, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t buy $45 RCA cables.

Buy $130 RCA cables

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...=BI%3A514&smp=y

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_958CA2M/McIntosh-CA2M.html?tp=1904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Those are overpriced $150 is the sweet spot.