Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.

So after a lot of thinking and trepidation, I've decided to give myself an audio makeover. I live in a smallish apartment and the living area is only 17'x20' so I've been going back and forth about whether or not to get a soundbar or a 2.1 setup. Going by price hasn't helped because good soundbars cost as much or more than normal speakers and a receiver.

The specific items I've been looking at are an AVR-S750H with Klipsch R-51-Ms, Elac B6.2s, or Dali Spektor 2s since those all come up pretty frequently in review roundups. For the sub, I was looking at the Klipsch R-100SW, or possibly the SVS SB-1000 Pro if I decide to splurge. Money is a factor and I'd like to spend less than $1,300 if possible. I know the proof of the speaker is in the listening but there aren't any demos near me so I'm leaning on y'all to point me in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toebone posted:

I snagged that $350 Denon receiver at Costco, so at least that's taken care of.

I stopped by the local electronics places but one didn't have any demo units set up and the other didn't have anything under $800. I think I've just got to roll the dice online.

Crutchfield has an excellent return policy for bookshelf speakers— basically $10 a box. SVS does free returns. I don’t know about some of the other companies, but buying online is pretty low risk these days.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, direct companies like SVS, Q Acoustics, Ascend, Aperion, Hsu, etc. all have good return policies.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Yeah, direct companies like SVS, Q Acoustics, Ascend, Aperion, Hsu, etc. all have good return policies.

And/or they often have 14/30/60/90 day trial policies

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Moving next month, trying to figure out a sound setup for this living room, know very little about sound setups. With the amount of space and the way it's distributed, I don't like our chances of fitting speakers, so I guess do what they did and mount a soundbar under the TV, just a little further down so it doesn't also block the TV? Or is there a better/smarter way to do things?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

disaster pastor posted:

Moving next month, trying to figure out a sound setup for this living room, know very little about sound setups. With the amount of space and the way it's distributed, I don't like our chances of fitting speakers, so I guess do what they did and mount a soundbar under the TV, just a little further down so it doesn't also block the TV? Or is there a better/smarter way to do things?

Is there any way in the world to bring that TV down about a foot? Maybe some kind of articulating mount that swings down? Like https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Fi...18861797&sr=8-8

You're gonna have neck pains and dry eyes from looking up that high for extended periods.

Oh, you were asking about the sound? Well, first things first.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is there any way in the world to bring that TV down about a foot? Maybe some kind of articulating mount that swings down? Like https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Fi...18861797&sr=8-8

You're gonna have neck pains and dry eyes from looking up that high for extended periods.

Oh, you were asking about the sound? Well, first things first.

Yeah, ideally, it's not going to be that high. I'm not sure how close it should be to the fireplace, but I'd certainly like it to be closer than that.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, ideally, it's not going to be that high. I'm not sure how close it should be to the fireplace, but I'd certainly like it to be closer than that.

I'd say it should be down in front of it for viewing. Hence the articulated mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'd say it should be down in front of it for viewing. Hence the articulated mount.

Looking at articulated mounts now, so I'll revise my question. Should I get one with a soundbar mount as well, or do I have better options for sound in that space?