Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Would this Marantz SR5015 be a good starting point? I have a Fluance record player now and nothing else. Eventually I suppose I would do 3.1, but mostly I'm looking for some decent power to push maybe KLH Model 5's.

I know there's some problem with 4k/120hz? I don't think I care about that.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5015/marantz-sr5015-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-a/v-8k-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

phosdex posted:

Would this Marantz SR5015 be a good starting point? I have a Fluance record player now and nothing else. Eventually I suppose I would do 3.1, but mostly I'm looking for some decent power to push maybe KLH Model 5's.

I know there's some problem with 4k/120hz? I don't think I care about that.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5015/marantz-sr5015-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-a/v-8k-receiver-w/heos/1.html

I'm sure that would work but might even be overkill, model 5s aren't particularly hard to drive. The 4k/120 thing is mostly for gaming so if you're not doing that it shouldn't be an issue.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Phosdex, yes. For $849 that is a seriously good deal on a good piece of kit that should give you several happy years as an AVR and even longer as an AMP/DAC/Preamp once the video section is out of date.

One of the features that AVR has that cheaper ones don't is a full 7.2 preamp output section. Meaning if you want to go full audiofool later on and add dedicated monoblocks or what have you, you can easily do so.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 8, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I decided to start cheaper and went with that Costco Denon S760H. This looks like a hobby with crazy high tiers to take your money. I'm gonna aim to stay in one of the lower ones.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah a lot of audio seems to be the result of customers going back to manufacturers and saying 'this is great but I'm really looking to spend more money.'

Question - is putting satellite speakers on speaker stands and putting those on top of my tower speakers in order to get some height speakers without needing to mount anything as much of a totally foolproof, genius idea as I think it is?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 8, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

phosdex posted:

I decided to start cheaper and went with that Costco Denon S760H. This looks like a hobby with crazy high tiers to take your money. I'm gonna aim to stay in one of the lower ones.

a lot of it is honestly just dudes looking for an excuse to flex, the diminishing returns stack on super quick

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
How to make a mono Sonos amp out of a really cheap Ikea speaker. (It doesn't sound very good on its own so it makes sense to connect an external speaker. He uses in-ceiling ones in this guide.):
https://www.thetylergibson.com/ikea-symfonisk-amp-modification-guide/

Also follow-up guide for the current-gen Symfonisk:
https://www.thetylergibson.com/ikea-symfonisk-gen2-amp-modification-guide-a-much-cheaper-sonos-amp/

Mozi posted:

Question - is putting satellite speakers on speaker stands and putting those on top of my tower speakers in order to get some height speakers without needing to mount anything as much of a totally foolproof, genius idea as I think it is?

Well, if you don't plan to have friends with kids or animals over... Or drunk people, for that part.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What's the best way to check power usage on devices so I can make sure my subwoofer addiction isn't going to burn my house down? Still the Kill-a-watt? I'm not planning on leaving it plugged in, just want to know what power draw looks like on stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Landed an SVS SB12-NSD for $340+shipping. Because I'm insane.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Very nice!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If anyone else is PC gaming with Atmos, Nvidia fixed a long standing issue with the latest drivers (516.94):

quote:

[NVIDIA Ampere GPU]: With the GPU connected to an HDMI 2.1 audio/video receiver, audio may drop out when playing back Dolby Atmos. [3345965]

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well, if you don't plan to have friends with kids or animals over... Or drunk people, for that part.

Yeah...

This might help someone else in the future - I've been dealing with unsatisfying bass from my system (2 PB-1000s, so this should not be an issue), not the really low frequencies but more the lower midrange was just lacking something. It sounded good when my fronts were set to large but when I set them as small (crossover at 80) it felt like some of the fullness was getting scooped out. After messing around with everything I could think of, I switched the phase on my rear subwoofer and now it sounds like it should. I confirmed with a decibel meter that this was the better way. In retrospect should have done this first, I think.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 9, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mozi posted:

Yeah...

This might help someone else in the future - I've been dealing with unsatisfying bass from my system (2 PB-1000s, so this should not be an issue), not the really low frequencies but more the lower midrange was just lacking something. It sounded good when my fronts were set to large but when I set them as small (crossover at 80) it felt like some of the fullness was getting scooped out. After messing around with everything I could think of, I switched the phase on my rear subwoofer and now it sounds like it should. I confirmed with a decibel meter that this was the better way. In retrospect should have done this first, I think.

Thank you for posting this, I’ve been curious about when to use the phase controls on my subwoofer.

For me so far just leaving phase set to 0 and using room correction on my AVR to deal with the rest seems to be working for me but I’ve not used dual subs yet.

I suppose it makes sense that if you have two subs you could easily run into issues with them cancelling out or amplifying certain frequencies as this is the way that noise cancelling headphones work.

So my question is, do you use room correction and still found you needed to adjust phase manually?

I assume best practice would be adjusting phase to achieve desired response before running room correction to dial it in further?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm just figuring this out myself. Having some external source of truth (DB meter) was essential as I was driving myself crazy going back and forth imagining different differences. My room is a pretty strange layout with tons of stuff in it so I'm not surprised there is some weirdness, I don't think I should have had to switch the phase on the rear sub unless it was facing backwards but the proof is in the pudding. I do use room correction (Yamaha's YPAO) but it wasn't helping this specific issue (though now that you mention it I should re-run it now.) It was frustrating because it's all tied together with crossover settings and blending the bass in and there's a bunch of other settings to deal with there that didn't turn out to be the issue in the end.

Actually messing around with it more, I think it sounds better at my main listening position with only one sub. I wish I could see sound waves, I'm sure that would make this all much more intuitive.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 10, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've got the Costco Denon now. What are some better options for playing my mp3s off my NAS? Right now, I have them in Plex and enabled the DLNA server. Then I can access that through the Denon HEOS thing. That interface is pretty clunky. Is this why I sometimes see like several thousand dollar media streaming boxes in some setups?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

phosdex posted:

I've got the Costco Denon now. What are some better options for playing my mp3s off my NAS? Right now, I have them in Plex and enabled the DLNA server. Then I can access that through the Denon HEOS thing. That interface is pretty clunky. Is this why I sometimes see like several thousand dollar media streaming boxes in some setups?

Use a Plex app on your TV or streaming device?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Switch to iPhone so you can use airplay

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Does the Denon support Spotify connect? Using local media for streaming/casting seems like a pain in the rear end compared to pure streaming options these days, especially if you're not specifically doing it to enjoy lossless audio formats etc. I'd wager Spotify sounds better than about 80% of the 15-20 year old MP3s sitting on my server right now even on the default quality setting.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So much music does not exist on Spotify, though. Even music that was published in recent decades on CD! So I mean, the use case is still valid for people with niche tastes.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

Switch to iPhone so you can use airplay

Oh dang, I can airplay from itunes on my computer!

Don Dongington posted:

Does the Denon support Spotify connect? Using local media for streaming/casting seems like a pain in the rear end compared to pure streaming options these days, especially if you're not specifically doing it to enjoy lossless audio formats etc. I'd wager Spotify sounds better than about 80% of the 15-20 year old MP3s sitting on my server right now even on the default quality setting.

I'm a local media kind of person.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

I'd wager Spotify sounds better than about 80% of the 15-20 year old MP3s sitting on my server right now even on the default quality setting.

It's definitely way better than ye olde 128 kbps mp3 files pulled from Kazaa. I'm not sure anyone knows what format their source audio is, I'm actually pretty curious.

They promoted lossless audio a while ago but who knows when it will be implemented, how much it will cost or what kind of connection will be needed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's definitely way better than ye olde 128 kbps mp3 files pulled from Kazaa. I'm not sure anyone knows what format their source audio is, I'm actually pretty curious.

They promoted lossless audio a while ago but who knows when it will be implemented, how much it will cost or what kind of connection will be needed.

AFAIK they get lossless audio of at least CD quality from the labels and store that. Transcoding is done in batches, but they keep the lossless original.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have experience using EPAO (Equalizer PAO) to mess with your Windows audio? (My PC is connected to my home theater TV.) I have a Snowball USB mic, would that be good enough for this or would I need something more specialized?

VV Thx! I have YPAO on my receiver but I want to try running my own tests and such rather than entirely relying on what it spits out.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 15, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Yes, it works well. You need a calibrated mic to do it properly. UMIK-1 is the standard.

Use headroom properly and don't ruin your speakers pushing crazy dB of gain. What has gotten me the best results is taking ~4-6 measurements in REW over the listening area, averaging them together, and then correcting only below 1000hz. It's better than nothing, but it's nowhere near as good as what my MiniDSP 2x4HD with Dirac Live or X3700H with MultEq32 can do, with far less work to boot.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 15, 2022

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

This might be a question similar to one asked earlier:

I have Apple devices and Apple Music for streaming. I don't have an Apple TV. I also have a 5.1.2 soundbar with Atmos. I'd like to listen to music that I pull up on my phone or laptop in the "best" way, that is, that takes advantage of Atmos and the surround sound if available. What would be the best way to do this? Is Bluetooth the simple answer, or will Bluetooth only output stereo/something that limits the full potential of the surround setup? Is it "get an apple TV and just stream to that"? Some sort of connector? A good ol' aux cable?

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 15, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

99.99% of music is in stereo. I've never heard of music with Atmos. Maybe a live concert on Blu-ray?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

KillHour posted:

99.99% of music is in stereo. I've never heard of music with Atmos. Maybe a live concert on Blu-ray?

Apple Music specifically has Atmos-mastered and Lossless stuff. It might be a whole bunch of marketing hooey but at least with headphones on they sound different than the stereo versions.

edit: It looks like Apple says that an Apple TV 4k can do it streaming from the Apple TV but I'm not trying to pay $150+ just for this; unless this is all Apple Proprietary and that's the only way

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 15, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe airplay then? I have no idea if airplay supports all that because I'm not an Apple guy, but the only thing I know of that definitely would is an HDMI cable.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

An AppleTV will work for you then, and you could control it from an iphone/ipad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You could probably also hook a laptop up with HDMI and listen to it via iTunes if you don't want to buy anything.

SgtScruffy posted:

unless this is all Apple Proprietary and that's the only way

i have bad news about apple standards

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

KillHour posted:

You could probably also hook a laptop up with HDMI and listen to it via iTunes if you don't want to buy anything.

i have bad news about apple standards

Yeah figured that might be the case. OK, makes sense, thanks all!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

Yes, it works well. You need a calibrated mic to do it properly. UMIK-1 is the standard.

Use headroom properly and don't ruin your speakers pushing crazy dB of gain. What has gotten me the best results is taking ~4-6 measurements in REW over the listening area, averaging them together, and then correcting only below 1000hz. It's better than nothing, but it's nowhere near as good as what my MiniDSP 2x4HD with Dirac Live or X3700H with MultEq32 can do, with far less work to boot.
I think it's kind of unfair to say Equalizer APO is worse than either of those when it's much more capable and costs nothing.

Mozi posted:

Does anyone have experience using EPAO (Equalizer PAO) to mess with your Windows audio? (My PC is connected to my home theater TV.) I have a Snowball USB mic, would that be good enough for this or would I need something more specialized?
EAPO (Equalizer APO) fuckin rocks. Sadly, for doing measurement stuff with REW you want a microphone that's suited for it. The one you have might be good for general voice recording stuff, but the pattern and frequency response just aren't designed for this and will end up making everything sound weird/bad. The UMIK-1 is supposed to be good, although shipping was like $27 to the US when I tried to order one. I use a UMM-6 and get good results. Dayton has IMM-6 mics that are really cheap but designed for mobile devices with TRRS jacks for whatever reason, and I'm not 100% sure how that works. There's also cheap XLR electret measurement mics if you happen to already have an audio interface with phantom power and ideally an SPL meter. They're worth every penny.

Personally, I'll EQ any frequency if it makes things sound better to me, just use some common sense. Setting a reasonable curve for your speakers, hitting calculate target and match response will get you most of the way there. I'll allow some boosting filters to flatten wider ones as long as they don't raise the overall above 0db. I export the filters and measurement to rePhase to fiddle with crossovers and phase stuff more and then put it in EAPO's convolver for whatever channels. Make adjustments, listen to it (from multiple positions if it's relevant), figure out what you like or don't like, and make more adjustments if you want. These filters can also be implemented system wide on android through JamesDSP, or at least in their minimum-phase form through Wavelet or other good parametric EQs, and can help car stereos, phone speakers, and headphones too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Thanks! I have YPAO from my receiver but I want to have more control and insight into it than just accepting what it spits out and this seems like a good way to do that. In the end when I find settings I like I figure I will just program them into the receiver to the extent possible.

In regards to 5.1 music, I'm pretty impressed with the Dolby Surround upmixer in my receiver.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Lowclock posted:

I think it's kind of unfair to say Equalizer APO is worse than either of those when it's much more capable and costs nothing.

Sure I guess, I'm not making GBS threads on REW/EAPO. I'm just speaking as to the results I was able to personally achieve. Both MultEq32 and Dirac Live resulted in a better measuring (and sounding) room correction in my experience over REW+EAPO and also give you the advantage of the correction applying to every source rather than only your PC output. While also being easier to use than REW/EAPO.

There's a reason why Dirac & MultEq32 exist and that people pay for them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a replacement remote out there that literally just has a power button and volume control? The remote that came with my amp is godawful, but I don't need a universal remote with a million buttons for AV use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

Well, if you're using *iTunes* then no, you can't do this, as iTunes is only on Windows and older MacOS versions doesn't support the Atmos stuff. If you have a Mac new enough that it supports the Music app, then yeah, this will work.

Other options besides an AppleTV are an Android device with Apple Music connected to the soundbar (a Kindle Fire with the Google Play Store sideloaded might work for this purpose) could work, or a Windows 11 laptop with the Android subsystem installed and the Apple Music app sideloaded, but both of these options are going to be janky at best, and you're better off spending the $150 on an AppleTV. Or you could get a PS5 and just install the app!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Or you could get a Series X and just install the app!

fixed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple Music isn't on Xbox.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Apple Music isn't on Xbox.

still better than spending money on a PS5 :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Wouldn't a $50 (or whatever they cost in the US) Chromecast with google tv be a better solution than sideloading onto a fire stick or buying a current gen console?