Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Here's a thing - when I run YPAO it always insists that my front speakers are out of phase. I know this is a thing that it can be wrong about and can be ignored, but when I do switch the polarity it's happy and no longer complains. However, subjectively this way is obviously wrong (stuff sounds like it's coming from within my own head rather than from a soundstage in front of me when I play through multiple channels). Also I can touch my fingers on the driver of (say) front left and my center and it's definitely in phase with the standard wiring that YPAO doesn't like.

So I knew YPAO could be wrong about the phase but I didn't know it would actually prefer and not complain about the incorrect phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Do what sounds best to you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

This might be a question similar to one asked earlier:

I have Apple devices and Apple Music for streaming. I don't have an Apple TV. I also have a 5.1.2 soundbar with Atmos. I'd like to listen to music that I pull up on my phone or laptop in the "best" way, that is, that takes advantage of Atmos and the surround sound if available. What would be the best way to do this? Is Bluetooth the simple answer, or will Bluetooth only output stereo/something that limits the full potential of the surround setup? Is it "get an apple TV and just stream to that"? Some sort of connector? A good ol' aux cable?
Buy an Airport Express for like $20 on Craigslist or SA Mart or Facebook or whatever. It acts as an airplay receiver and the jack can do either 3.5mm or toslink out. The last revision even has Airplay 2.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you can’t find an airport express there’s a new device called the Wiim Mini that acts as an airport endpoint.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Airport Expresses (Expressi?) are unbelievably common on eBay and the like, I wouldn't go shelling out $100 for that or the Belkin thing when there's a cheap first party solution.

e: assuming you don't care about 24/192 audio, which goons performatively do not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Crossposting from the high-definition televisions thread since it turned out to be more of an audio system problem:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, tech support question.

I've got a 48" C1 OLED I'm using as my monitor.

Graphics card is a AMD Radeon 5600 XT

I'm routing it through a Denon receiver using HDMI cables so I can also have it drive five point surround sound system.

Porblem:

WHen playing games, if the screen shifts to black for a moment (e.g., scene transitions, loading, etc.) or sometimes randomly mid-gameplay, the C1 will suddenly shift to "no signal" and show the default random impressionist art for five seconds or so.

It only happens when the game is taking up the full screen; if playing in a window with another part of the screen showing, so that the whole screen isn't blacked out, then everything proceeds normally.

Leads me to think it's something with the c1 oled settings that's making it freak out and think the computer is disconnected when it isn't.

Anyone familiar with this issue or know of a fix?

Ok, I think I figured out the problem here; it's the Denon receiver messing up the HDMI handshake. I think I need a HDMI splitter so I can split the signal from the GPU and send it to both the stereo and the c1 oled monitor independently, instead of routing to the monitor through the reciever.
Any suggestions on a good 4k HDMI splitter?

Comically, my GPU has one HDMI out and 3 displayport outs, while the tv and reciever have no displayport ins.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 20, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Can you connect the PC directly to the C1 and then use eARC to pass the audio to the receiver? Should work if you can set the TV audio to passthrough instead of PCM.

Also might want to check if you're on the latest firmware for your receiver just in case there's an HDMI update.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Get a DisplayPort --> HDMI adapter to run the video signal, maybe? Cheap to try at least

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CloFan posted:

Get a DisplayPort --> HDMI adapter to run the video signal, maybe? Cheap to try at least

Hrm, yeah, this seems worth trying. Thanks.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

pofcorn posted:

Do what sounds best to you.

Well this kept bugging me and I kept messing with it and last night I found this page on Focal's website (not the maker of my speakers but probably a similar situation). What's happening is that in the front towers as part of the crossover design that the phase of the tweeters is reversed and YPAO is picking up on that. But apparently the correct thing to do instead of just keeping them wired correctly and ignoring the warning is to reverse the polarity temporarily during the calibration and then put it back to normal afterwards, which isn't advice I've seen elsewhere yet. So that's what I ended up doing and it sounds good. But honestly part of the trouble is no matter how I set it up it sounds miles better than anything else I've listened to previously so it's a little hard to judge objectively, which isn't a terrible problem to have.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Crossposting from the high-definition televisions thread since it turned out to be more of an audio system problem:

Ok, I think I figured out the problem here; it's the Denon receiver messing up the HDMI handshake. I think I need a HDMI splitter so I can split the signal from the GPU and send it to both the stereo and the c1 oled monitor independently, instead of routing to the monitor through the reciever.
Any suggestions on a good 4k HDMI splitter?

Comically, my GPU has one HDMI out and 3 displayport outs, while the tv and reciever have no displayport ins.

This is almost exactly what was happening to me. I had computer w/3060ti output to older Onkyo Tx-NR838 to a samsung q70, and many times with transitions in browser, it would lag and go to black screen when switching beteen pages, video to not video, changes in ad playing vs text browsing, like it couldn't handle the viedo parameters changing without doing another HDMI handshake and the screen going to black for a couple seconds. Oddly, it would work just fine if I set the output resolution from the computer to 1080p instead of 4k. But gently caress that I spent all this money on 4k TV gimme
Switched to computer>TV>earc to reciever, and it works beautifully now

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

intheflesh posted:

This is almost exactly what was happening to me. I had computer w/3060ti output to older Onkyo Tx-NR838 to a samsung q70, and many times with transitions in browser, it would lag and go to black screen when switching beteen pages, video to not video, changes in ad playing vs text browsing, like it couldn't handle the viedo parameters changing without doing another HDMI handshake and the screen going to black for a couple seconds. Oddly, it would work just fine if I set the output resolution from the computer to 1080p instead of 4k. But gently caress that I spent all this money on 4k TV gimme
Switched to computer>TV>earc to reciever, and it works beautifully now

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to make eArc passthrough from the tv to the receiver actually work, but buying a $20 DisplayPort in to HDMI out cable and having the TV display that feed while the receiver gets its sound from the hdmi out via a hdmi cable worked.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I had to turn off either ARC or CEC on my Hisense to do this - in my case because my old-rear end reciever can only do 4k30 and no eARC. Found that every time I switched the tv to the PC input it would automatically flick the receivers input to ARC.

Frustrating. Then I got a Series X, and now just use regular old ARC with Dolby Digital until I eventually get off my rear end and find a cheap second hand 4k60 receiver.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Here’s a funny question. I just got a subwoofer. It is great, but I’m concerned about the impact on my neighbors, so I’m keeping it quiet. However, I realized that while turning the sub down is a great way to make content with too much bass listenable even late at night, it also makes stuff with quiet bass have even less bass for basically no reason. Is there any device I can buy that would fix this problem for me by compressing lower frequencies? Are there audio receivers that do that, or can I buy something else that would sit between my receiver and the sub to do the job?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nrook posted:

Here’s a funny question. I just got a subwoofer. It is great, but I’m concerned about the impact on my neighbors, so I’m keeping it quiet. However, I realized that while turning the sub down is a great way to make content with too much bass listenable even late at night, it also makes stuff with quiet bass have even less bass for basically no reason. Is there any device I can buy that would fix this problem for me by compressing lower frequencies? Are there audio receivers that do that, or can I buy something else that would sit between my receiver and the sub to do the job?

Yamaha receivers have had a “loudness” feature for many decades that basically scoops out the mids in order to make lower volume music sound “louder” to somebody nearby for precisely that sort of late night listening.

If you can try to determine how your sub sounds to your neighbors then maybe you can find the optimal setting among all of your various volume dials (the ones on the sub, on the receiver, etc) for everybody

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Alternatively ask them if it's bothering them so you can tweak your kit to the benefit of both of you. Guy next door treated himself to a dual sub setup and it got quite raucous at times while he was setting it all up. He asked if I could hear it, I told him it's a little loud and he adjusted it all down and now I barely hear anything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Would adjusting the crossover on the sub help any? Maybe?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
SVS sells sound isolation feet you may be able to screw in that help reduce those kinds of vibrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, I’m going to do all the basic stuff, like installing isolation feet and consulting with neighbors about how much sound transfers. I just figured I’d ask if something like this existed as well, since it seems philosophically like a better solution than just turning the sub down or off at night.

nrook fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 29, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mozi posted:

SVS sells sound isolation feet you may be able to screw in that help reduce those kinds of vibrations.

These actually work quite well, in my experience. I have an SB12 in a third floor apartment and haven't received any noise complaints in the 5 years I've lived here :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Most AV receivers have some sort of compression function. For Audyssey it's called Dynamic Volume, and it works really well.

I basically watch all movies and TV shows on the "day" setting.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
28 days into my 30 day return window, my Yamaha RX-A6A developed random chirps and regular electrical clicking noises through the left front pre-out (lots of testing reduced it to this specifically). Warranty would have covered a repair but that would have left me without a receiver for a while. Obviously can't be sure what caused this but given the various stories of difficulties of manufacturing things during the pandemic, I would be incredibly leery of buying equipment like this with no return option and especially with no warranty. I was happy with it otherwise but now I think I'll try Anthem instead.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
That sucks but at least you caught it in time. Shame that relatively higher end stuff doesn't have better QC.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah; the issue actually seems to be related to having the wi-fi on or not. Which had been fine previously.

Edit: wow, figured it out at the very last second. As I was beginning to remove it I thought 'what if I twist the wifi antenna around a little bit...' and lo and behold the problem only happens when the antenna is pointed in a certain direction - not right up against the chassis or anything or even touching any other wires but just a certain general vicinity causes the issue. It must have gotten nudged around a bit as I was moving something else. So, there you go. Glad to not have to really change anything.

Edit again: Even though I had figured out this issue I had my replacement AVR on hand already (Anthem MRX 740) and figured I'd just try it out anyways. The initial setup process was more annoying in a few different ways (no way to connect to wifi with WPA, needed Google Home app on phone? :negative:) but ARC Genesis (their room correction software) absolutely blows Yamaha's out of the water. You get a legit microphone and nice stand for it. It set all my crossovers correctly right off the bat, made the lower midrange/upper bass perfect instead of killing it like YPAO does, shows you all the graphs and the phase correction made everything clearer and more distinct. Toggling it on and off, it's like putting on and taking off my eyeglasses. When I put up some room treatment in my room I noticed a difference afterwards - more than I had expected. And this was an even bigger improvement. No changes necessary from its default results, I increased room gain based on personal preference but that's all. (And it was again nice here that I could use the room gain setting to boost that whole part of the curve instead of in YPAO where you'd need to just crank the subwoofer level.) Also you can save one set (or multiple sets) of measurements and tweak and apply settings based on that as much as you want without needing to re-run the measurements. I'm really impressed and I'm going to send the Yamaha back. I'm not sure the Anthem is really 'worth' the extra money (lots of money... and no balanced front pre-out which is a small bummer) but I don't think I can go back to YPAO.

On a different topic, I figured out why DSU upmixing was only sending upmixed data to my height speakers and not to center/surrounds - the source was my PC which was set to 5.1, so when it was playing stereo music it was still sending out the center and surround channel info, so the upmixer wasn't touching them. Had to set the PC to stereo to get it all going again. But honestly the effect with it leaving the fronts alone and putting some noise up in the heights wasn't bad either, maybe a personal preference thing.

I've also noticed with Qobuz that playing through Wasapi Exclusive sounds noticeably better than Wasapi. Can I make the regular Wasapi sound better though using E-APO?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 6, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
PSA: Jamo S803 are $118 per pair right now on the Bezos hellsite

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Mozi posted:

I've also noticed with Qobuz that playing through Wasapi Exclusive sounds noticeably better than Wasapi. Can I make the regular Wasapi sound better though using E-APO?
It's probably just Windows doing some bullshit. Try messing with sampling rates and "Enable Audio Enhancements" in the old Sound control panel.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

How do I go about picking a center channel speaker? I just have KLH Model 5s and an SVS PB1000 Pro connected to a Denon AVR-S760H.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Ideally you match the timbre of the center to the L/R fronts (maybe even use the same speaker if possible). I'm not that familiar with KLH but a quick browse of their offerings revealed that the only center channel they offer is not matched to the 5.

Another 5 is probably overkill and may not fit with your room setup given their size. If you just want it for HT to hear dialogue better etc. then I'd probably recommend that KLH Story center (it will likely be closer than what other brands offer) or to see what other people who have the 5s run in a 3.1 setup.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

phosdex posted:

How do I go about picking a center channel speaker? I just have KLH Model 5s and an SVS PB1000 Pro connected to a Denon AVR-S760H.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZrdsxrcpBw&t=1680s timestamped to the tldr part of the video

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Ideally you match the timbre of the center to the L/R fronts (maybe even use the same speaker if possible).

Having three KLH Model 5s as your LCR would look really cool imo, provided you had the space for it(and also a way to buy them as a single speaker)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 22, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'll just get a KLH Story. Hah, another 5 would be hard to fit.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZrdsxrcpBw&t=1680s timestamped to the tldr part of the video

Having three KLH Model 5s as your LCR would look really cool imo, provided you had the space for it(and also a way to buy them as a single speaker)

Where can I find this "data" he's talking about

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Where can I find this "data" he's talking about

Earlier in the video, starting at 18mins.

If you want to look at some other reviews / kippel nearfield scanner data he's done(not too many more center channels though), you can look on his website or just watch his youtube videos. Amir from audiosciencereview has measured some center channels as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

phosdex posted:

I'll just get a KLH Story. Hah, another 5 would be hard to fit.

put a 5 on its side

do it

I’m not kidding

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
It's finally time to get my downstairs some decent audio.

Budget: $1000-$1300. Would like to be closer to the 1k

Use: Mixed. Xbox One X for games and movies. Phone or inbuilt app connect for music.

I would like 5.1. But would settle for quality 3.1 with 5.1 or even 7.1/Atmos upgrade path in the future

Need the whole setup. Receiver and app. No spare equipment to move to this setup.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wait for Black Friday and there’ll be some rad sales for speakers. Get the best rated ones within your budget. That’s what I did.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Wait for Black Friday and there’ll be some rad sales for speakers. Get the best rated ones within your budget. That’s what I did.

I do appreciate this sentiment. But I need more specific recommendations or I will just go down rabbit holes and spend far more money than I have too. Plus I have very little time to deep dive. If I start digging I won't be able to make a purchase for a long time heh

I trust the experience of those who really get into this stuff to guide me.

*Edit* case in point. The Samsung q990b is rated really well. And after a year of himming and hawing I bought it today .... It is trash. The sub is tuned badly and makes loud snaps. The audio is super tinny with no real presence. And I am generally just disappointed.

On the other hand this thread hooked me up with my first home theatre setup many moons ago. And I am still very happy with the equipment suggested. However that equipment is now 8ish years old. And I would not mind the new setup being modernized.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 29, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilazar posted:

It's finally time to get my downstairs some decent audio.

Budget: $1000-$1300. Would like to be closer to the 1k

Use: Mixed. Xbox One X for games and movies. Phone or inbuilt app connect for music.

I would like 5.1. But would settle for quality 3.1 with 5.1 or even 7.1/Atmos upgrade path in the future

Need the whole setup. Receiver and app. No spare equipment to move to this setup.

That’s not a ton of money for an “upgrade” setup. At the cheapest you might be looking at $350-500 for a receiver depending on the number of channels/etc, and then that leaves you $500-900 (and probably closer to $500 if you want to stick to the low end of your desired spending limit) for a subwoofer and full set of speakers. Totally doable, but definitely at the “budget” end of every company’s range.

And that may be fine for your needs depending on what you’re upgrading from.

If you have speakers or a sub (or even an old receiver with 5.1 and an optical line in, if you can’t run a 4K signal through its HDMI/it doesn’t have any HDMI) that you can bring over, even if only temporarily, you could stretch that budget quite a bit further/piecemeal a much more premium setup over more time.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 29, 2022

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Oh I am not upgrading my current setup. I am getting a setup for the living room TV.

And budget is fine. Last time around the thread hooked me up with a 500 dollar Onkyo, the polk 10'sub, a pair of Andrew Jones towers, a pair of Andrew Jones bookshelf's, and Andrew Jones center for about 1200..

I thought about buying all that again but figured maybe some better stuff is around in the budget area

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 29, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Oh I am not upgrading my current setup. I am getting a setup for the living room TV.

And budget is fine. Last time around the thread hooked me up with a 500 dollar Onkyo, the polk 10'sub, a pair of Andrew Jones towers, a pair of Andrew Jones bookshelf's, and Andrew Jones center.

I thought about buying all that again but figured maybe some better stuff is around in the budget area

Oh word. You can definitely do better and play in a similar ballpark pricewise now. Andrew Jones went to ELAC for a few years and that’s where the spiritual successors to those Pioneers all live. I’d probably go with some ELACs or Q Series KEFs (soon to be very on sale for Black Friday) or Reference Premium Klipsch if you can stretch that far. Or maybe JBL Stage (wait for them to be discounted, almost certainly will be on Black Friday) or even Triangle Borea at their new lower price ($250-350 for a new pair of BR03 seems to be an acceptable cost these days, do not pay $500). Also look at Q Acoustic (maybe a bit pricey, maybe can be had on sale) and even Polk is making good poo poo these days.

I would go ahead and look past Jamo at the lowest price point. Sure they’re great if you can land a full 5.0 set at <$250 or even $150 and that’s your max budget, but they don’t really hold up to anybody else’s budget offerings in the ~$200/pair and up range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I got some ELAC B5s and was seriously disappointed by them. They sound flat, small, and lifeless. The Paradigm Mini Monitors from the early 2000s I got for free massively outperform them.