Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

Just connect the Sub pre out to your subwoofers left input and you'll be fine. The other connections are for speakers, but since you have a full-fledged receiver you don't need to (and in fact shouldn't) use them.

Yeah, the book that comes with the Polk sub says to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Why only the left and not both? If i have a y cable should i still only do the left?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Newegg has the Monitor 50s for $80 each or the Monitor 60s for $120 each. Am I going to be able to hear much difference between the two? I can't find any frequency response graphs to compare the two.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I might jump on a pair of those 50s if they get some good recommendations up in this thread.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

Why only the left and not both? If i have a y cable should i still only do the left?

Sound is non-directional for frequencies under 80Hz. That's why you don't really gain anything if you send a stereo signal to subwoofer. What the sub does is it amplifies the stereo signal and sends appropriate frequencies to left and right speakers connected into your subwoofer and replicates the low frequencies itself. As you don't have any speakers connected to the sub, there's no point.

As far as I know, there's no harm in connecting both plugs of an Y cable. It just doesn't do anything extra.

willkill4food posted:

Newegg has the Monitor 50s for $80 each or the Monitor 60s for $120 each. Am I going to be able to hear much difference between the two?

Will you be using them for music or HT mostly? You can hear the difference in music pretty easily. For HT use it isn't that big a deal, especially if you use a subwoofer. Then again, "much difference" is very subjective. I know the difference would bother me.

Edit: removed some crap. I must have been tired when writing that.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 9, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Hob_Gadling posted:

Will you be using them for music or HT mostly? You can hear the difference in music pretty easily. For HT use it isn't that big a deal, especially if you use a subwoofer. Then again, "much difference" is very subjective. I know the difference would bother me.

I will mostly be using it for HT. I went with the 50s since they were a better deal and really I can ebay them and not lose too much money if I decide I want to move up to some better speakers in a year or two.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I have a couple questions. Are there any wireless speaker systems that I should even consider? I have a fairly large living room and running wires all over the place in order to get good surround doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I'm willing to sacrifice a little in quality since I'm not an audiophile anyway, but a friend of mine has a wireless system and one of his speakers cuts out pretty often - if that's simply inherent to wireless speakers then I'll pass.

A friend of mine recommended these:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-Quintet-Theater-Speaker/dp/tech-data/B00009L1UX/ref=de_a_smtd

Any thoughts? The Amazon reviews seem pretty positive, but considering the "larger and heavier = better" rule of thumb, I wanted to ask here.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

Are there any wireless speaker systems that I should even consider?

You can look up something like Rocketfish. It'll bring a considerable extra cost to your system, however. It's probably easier to just go with a 3.0 or 3.1 system.

If you're willing to sacrifice a little sound quality for looks and get a subwoofer (that set only goes down to 120Hz), sure. Klipsch makes quality speakers. They're pretty strictly for home theater use, though. If music is a priority, a 3.0 with two good floorstanding speakers and center channel is way better. Floorstanding speakers on the other hand are more visible: if you want to hide your speakers definitely get a small set like that.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Hob_Gadling posted:

You can look up something like Rocketfish. It'll bring a considerable extra cost to your system, however. It's probably easier to just go with a 3.0 or 3.1 system.

How about these: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-FS51-LR

With this: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-C21

Using this: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-820-K-Home-Theater-Receiver/dp/tech-data/B0039XQL2G/ref=de_a_smtd

Will this 3.0 system wow me? (This setup would be almost exclusively for movies and sports.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

Will this 3.0 system wow me? (This setup would be almost exclusively for movies and sports.

As it happens, people on start of page 2 have pictures of exactly that. They seem happy. As to whether it'll wow you, no one but you can say.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Hob_Gadling posted:

As it happens, people on start of page 2 have pictures of exactly that. They seem happy. As to whether it'll wow you, no one but you can say.

I suppose what I mean is, will those three speakers produce quality, cinematic sound? Also, will the woofers in the towers provide bass comparable to a decent dedicated subwoofer?

Thanks for all the assistance - great thread.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

I suppose what I mean is, will those three speakers produce quality, cinematic sound?

Yes (they'll also work nicely for music)!

quote:

Also, will the woofers in the towers provide bass comparable to a decent dedicated subwoofer?

No, but it'll probably be enough anyway. Definitely enough if you live in an apartment. The standard recommendation is to first try floorstanding speakers without a subwoofer. You can always add one if you want more bass.

One of the main advantages of buying separates instead of a pre-made set is that you can buy stuff in smaller sets. Test out what you have and get more speakers if you think you need them. It'll also allow you to spend money in proportion to the importance of speakers. Better to have expensive fronts and cheap surrounds than four equal speakers when 80% of the sound is going to come from front anyway.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I'm going to post a little "what'd you buy and how do you like it" thing as the OP requests, but first I have some wiring problems to resolve.

Currently I've got an 3.5mm to RCA wire from my MBP to Onkyo TX-8255. That's pretty bad right?
I probably should have just gone with a more expensive receiver but cest la vie. I would also like to connect my TV/Blu/360 to it but I'm not sure how.
The receiver only has RCA inputs and nothing else really does.. the TV only has optical.

I have a Polk 60 hooked up with two speaker wires, the "right" ones so I set the right/left dial on the reciever to all right. Same for the Polk SW10. I think I'm supposed to have that connected with RCA somehow though?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

kinkster posted:

Currently I've got an 3.5mm to RCA wire from my MBP to Onkyo TX-8255. That's pretty bad right?

As long as you don't get interference, there's nothing wrong with that. If you want to connect all your stuff to receiver, you should check whether you can return your current receiver and get one with HDMI. It will make the setup a lot easier.

If you want to connect your other devices to that receiver, you need either 3,5mm to RCA or RCA to RCA. TX-8255 is a stereo receiver that doesn't do video passthrough. Accordingly it doesn't have inputs that do video.

quote:

I have a Polk 60 hooked up with two speaker wires, the "right" ones so I set the right/left dial on the reciever to all right.

This is wrong. Connect your speakers as per Polk manual p. 10 (Option 2). You need to connect your receiver speaker outs to subwoofer speaker ins and connect your speakers to subwoofer. You should also connect "Speakers A" left and right rather than both right speakers and turn the dial to center. The manual should have a picture of how to set it all up.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Got my initial set up going but my living room is a mess (still moving in) so I'll post pictures after it is more orderly. Couple questions My receiver is the Pioneer VSX 921 and I have the 3.0 pioneer speakers mentioned on the first page of this thread, a polk 10" sub.

1) Besides running the auto calibration, what other settings do I need to play with on my receiver? What should I do about the cutoff knob on the sub?

2) Besides setting my computer audio output to be 3.1, is there any other thing I need to change on the computer hooked up to the reciever?

3) Any good speaker stands for this giant center?

4) Ever since running my computer through the receiver, whenever I turn the tv off then back on, any fullscreened windows get shrunk to half the size, like the desktop resolution has changed. I have to unfullscreen then fullscreen the window again to get it to look right. Why is the receiver doing this?

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 11, 2011

Neenski
Apr 22, 2006
I got the pioneer VSX 920, Polk Monitor 60s and Monitor CS2 mentioned in this thread, with a DVR, wii, ps3 and 360 hooked up. Sound is great overall, but I'm having a few growing pains:

1. I have to adjust the volume every time I switch sources. For example, here's what I set each source at to get the same volume level:

wii - 28
ps3 - 32
360 - 38
DVR - 45 (except when watching non-hd channels)

2. Center channel sounds overpowering, I kinda regret getting the CS2 over the CS1, or maybe I'm not used to 3.0 sound yet. Playing with the equalizer helps a bit.

3. Just a nitpick, but it's kinda weird to have to turn off the receiver and the TV after watching TV, turning off just the TV results in sound still coming through the DVR.

All in all, I'm seriously considering returning the vsx 920 and getting a receiver that lets me adjust volume for each source independently. Any recommendations for a receiver in the 250-350 range with this capability?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

1) Besides running the auto calibration, what other settings do I need to play with on my receiver? What should I do about the cutoff knob on the sub?

None, they're there in case you want to adjust something that the auto setup didn't get right. Most of the time it sounds ok. Turn the cutoff knob to 80Hz, subwoofer level knob to 12 o'clock position (ie. half volume) and run the auto setup. Mess with the level knob if you think there's too much/not enough bass. I used Fantasia 2000 to determine the proper amount of bass: Pomp and Circumstance is an excellent test piece for that purpose.

quote:

2) Besides setting my computer audio output to be 3.1, is there any other thing I need to change on the computer hooked up to the reciever?

No.

quote:

4) Ever since running my computer through the receiver, whenever I turn the tv off then back on, any fullscreened windows get shrunk to half the size, like the desktop resolution has changed. I have to unfullscreen then fullscreen the window again to get it to look right. Why is the receiver doing this?

Do you have a separate monitor in addition to TV? Do they have the same resolution?

Neenski posted:

1. I have to adjust the volume every time I switch sources.

Auto level control (manual p. 57) doesn't work here?

quote:

2. Center channel sounds overpowering, I kinda regret getting the CS2 over the CS1, or maybe I'm not used to 3.0 sound yet. Playing with the equalizer helps a bit.

Did you run the auto setup with the mic? It shouldn't be overpowering. I'd try running the setup again. Sounds like it failed somehow if one channel is a lot louder than others.

In any case it's not the fault of the speaker. It just reproduces what gets sent to it: you'd have the same problem with CS1. Does the same problem happen with all sound mixes or just stereo sound that gets mixed to one of the pseudo-surround types? I had to make the center channel a little louder than others just so I could hear clearly what people were saying.

quote:

3. Just a nitpick, but it's kinda weird to have to turn off the receiver and the TV after watching TV, turning off just the TV results in sound still coming through the DVR.

Use HDMI control to shut down or start up both devices with one push of the button. Check manual p. 63 for instructions.

quote:

Any recommendations for a receiver in the 250-350 range with this capability?

If rerunning the auto setup doesn't help, you could look at Denon AVR-391. I have the version two generations past (AVR 1610) and it should deal with all the problems you have. I'd definitely fiddle a little with the settings, though.

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
How "bad" is future proofing with receivers?

I'm currently interested in a nice 3.1 setup due to room constraints, but most likely will have a dedicated home theater room in two years; is it silly to throw the extra cash to pick up a 7.1 receiver now in hopes of not upgrading it in two years (obviously a 5.1 receiver would work fine for now)?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

rekamso posted:

How "bad" is future proofing with receivers?

In your case, not that bad. The price difference between 5.1 and 7.1 is negligible and HDMI is not likely to go away in the next two years. If I was in your shoes, I'd get the 7.1 receiver straight away.

Neenski
Apr 22, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

Auto level control (manual p. 57) doesn't work here?

I tried it out, but on my model ALC only works in stereo mode

quote:

Did you run the auto setup with the mic? It shouldn't be overpowering. I'd try running the setup again. Sounds like it failed somehow if one channel is a lot louder than others.

In any case it's not the fault of the speaker. It just reproduces what gets sent to it: you'd have the same problem with CS1. Does the same problem happen with all sound mixes or just stereo sound that gets mixed to one of the pseudo-surround types? I had to make the center channel a little louder than others just so I could hear clearly what people were saying.

Yeah I think I'm just not used to the dialog coming directly from beneath the screen. Sounds a bit odd after 20+ years of listening in stereo, but I'll get acclimated eventually.

quote:

Use HDMI control to shut down or start up both devices with one push of the button. Check manual p. 63 for instructions.

Doesn't look like my model supports this either.

quote:

If rerunning the auto setup doesn't help, you could look at Denon AVR-391. I have the version two generations past (AVR 1610) and it should deal with all the problems you have. I'd definitely fiddle a little with the settings, though.

Thanks for your help, I think I may end up going with either an Onkyo RC360 or a Denon 891 for the GUI OSD and volume control. Man, I didn't realize how nice an overlayed GUI OSD would look before using a text only OSD.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Although I initially intended to avoid a HTIB, this Denon DHT-391XP is very tempting. As it comes packaged with an AVR-391, which Hob_Gadling has spoken highly of, I figure I can build up the speaker system as my budget allows. Can anyone think of a reason why this isn't my best option? (Aside, of course, from the fact that I haven't heard it in person.)

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

JHomer722 posted:

Can anyone think of a reason why this isn't my best option?

Unless you prefer Onkyo which has a similar set (real 5.1 receiver and bundled speakers), go for it. $70 for 5.1 speakers, even if they're mediocre in quality, is a fair deal. Obviously the first upgrade is front left & right, after which you get to make the choice whether the bundled subwoofer actually brings anything to the table anymore.

Since I started with a similar setup back in the day (Sony receiver and 5 speakers with Jamo subwoofer), I can't be too harsh about it. Compared to TV speakers it's a completely different experience.

Just to clear things up, when we say HTiB here we don't mean a system like that. We mean a DVD/Blu-Ray player with integrated amplifier and speakers with proprietary connections. If you break your DVD player in DHT-391XP you can get a new one anywhere. If you break the DVD player in a HTiB you have to toss the whole drat system and spend 5-10x the money to get another, never mind the pain of setting up it all again.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Hob_Gadling posted:

None, they're there in case you want to adjust something that the auto setup didn't get right. Most of the time it sounds ok. Turn the cutoff knob to 80Hz, subwoofer level knob to 12 o'clock position (ie. half volume) and run the auto setup. Mess with the level knob if you think there's too much/not enough bass. I used Fantasia 2000 to determine the proper amount of bass: Pomp and Circumstance is an excellent test piece for that purpose.

So if I've run the auto config, then all the center settings should be set automatically? The remote has "auto-surround", but also dolby pro logic and PL II
and 12 other things. Should I just leave it on whatever was set from auto setup?

Also, what is Dolby Pro Logic in the first place? Is it something I want? In Rock Band 3 there is the option to turn on Dolby Pro Logic. Should I turn that on? If I do, do I need to have the reciever in Dolby Pro Logic mode? So confused :(

Tool_Fan
Jul 3, 2006
How much of a difference does a receiver have on sound quality?
Or is sound mainly affected by speakers? So then receivers should be mainly chosen based on features/price?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Tool_Fan posted:

How much of a difference does a receiver have on sound quality?
Or is sound mainly affected by speakers? So then receivers should be mainly chosen based on features/price?

Potentially a lot. In practice the differences aren't that big, when we're talking entry-level stuff. Spending most of the budget towards speakers is the smart move if you want quality sound.

In stereo sets it's easier to hear the differences. If you get the chance, listen to a tube amp and compare it to a solid state amp. Tube amps have a distinctive, warm sound that is pleasant to listen.

Chin Strap posted:

So if I've run the auto config, then all the center settings should be set automatically?

Yes, it should set up the appropriate volume level for your center channel.

quote:

The remote has "auto-surround", but also dolby pro logic and PL II
and 12 other things. Should I just leave it on whatever was set from auto setup?

No. Most of those are automatic surround mixes for stereo audio. If your receiver is set on one of those it's likely to sound a little strange. Auto surround (manual pages 57 and 122) should be the correct setting for everything. Description of all the modes you likely have is here.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 15, 2011

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Hob_Gadling posted:

No. Most of those are automatic surround mixes for stereo audio. If your receiver is set on one of those it's likely to sound a little strange. Auto surround (manual pages 57 and 122) should be the correct setting for everything. Description of all the modes you likely have is here.

So I shouldn't turn it on in games either right? Either the game supports surround or not, and I don't want to automatically upsample stereo to surround.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

For computer use, 90% music, 10% Hulu/Netflix, would a set of Monitor 60s do me good, or is there more that I would want?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So currently I have a logitech g51 speaker setup to my computer with a xtrememusic card.

I've got a cheapo Technics that was given to me, and probably will get a ASUS Xonar card with optical out. The Technics (I can reply or edit this post later with the specific model when I get home) can take in optical, which is what I pretty much want (I have no hdmi devices other than my ps3, which is connected to my LCD monitor anyways)

However I'm pretty much on a budget. What are the best 5.1 speakers I can get for $100-150 that sound reasonably close to my HD555 headphones?

I play videogames on pc/wii/360/ps3, and listen to movies with AC3 or DTS 5.1 (or blurays) or listen to music through foobar at LAME V0 using ASIO (I hate WASAPI because it takes focus from my audio device and forces me to close foobar if I want to pause and then listen to something on firefox or watch a movie or something.

edit: my Technics is a SA-DX930 so like a $400 something model

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 17, 2011

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hey guys, I'm thinking of pairing the following receiver with a pair of Polk Audio monitor 60s:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR309-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRCE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm just gonna do a 3.1 set up and grab a sub if I feel the bass is lacking. I'll be using it 99.9% of the time for TV and movies. I'll never be using it for games as I am a PC gamer and I might use it for music once in a great while.

So my question is, would this meet my needs?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chin Strap posted:

So I shouldn't turn it on in games either right? Either the game supports surround or not, and I don't want to automatically upsample stereo to surround.

Depends on your connections. If you use a digital connection (HDMI, optic, coaxial etc) and the device is sending a digital signal, your receiver will most likely sense that it is digital and only allow you to adjust volume and some basic other options.

Turning on pro logic II on or off should do nothing.

With my pioneer receiver, I usually leave it set to "Auto Surround" for all my inputs. Stereo sources will come through as stereo, 5.1 sources as 5.1 etc.

However, with netflix, the movies come through in stereo, and I often use Dolby Prologic in order to upmix these movies to 5.1, which most of the time the receiver does well. Vocals come through the center, and surround stuff and echoes will come through the surrounds.

When I listen to music, if I'm having a music listening session, I almost always set the receiver to Dolby Prologic Music. This expands the recording, vocals come through the center, the rest comes through the left and right channels, and some suttle ambience comes through the surrounds. If I'm just putting the music on to have it on while I'm tidying up the living room or something, I usually just set it to stereo. If I'm hosting a party I usually set it to EXT STEREO. This pumps the sound equally out of all the channels. If fills the room really well and still provides stereo seperation. Kind of like headphones I suppose.

The rest of the modes I never bother to use.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I have no idea if this is even the best thread for this question, but...is there a setup I can put together for 5.1 surround running off my computer that also supports Apple Airplay?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Pioneer's new network receivers have Airplay audio built in. I don't think there's any way to get video besides an AppleTV.

Buying a generic non-network receiver + an AppleTV is probably a better idea if you care about Airplay video.

jdi448hsnvb
Dec 6, 2006

asfd
Helping my family buy their first speakers. We hooked up my Swan m200mkii's to the tv now there's no going back. We want to go with three speakers for around $1000, receiver and everything included. I'm considering going with some Swans because mine kick so much rear end. Is this a good decision?

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

I am currently saving up for BRATZ Forever diamonds set
First time actually looking into decent home audio systems. Right now I'm running all my entertainment (games, Blu-ray, etc) though just the default TV speakers. It's really tiring, a lot of the time I'll just connect headphones but they're too restrictive and I want to be able to move freely, not to mention they get sort of painful for me to wear on long sessions.

Anyway, that aside, I'm looking to get a decent 5.1 system, I'm completely new to this so the OP was a wealth of knowledge. The only problem that I have and it may have been remedied previously in the thread (only skimmed) but I live in Canada and I can't get that godly Pioneer system. Not a huge deal, but it was a good price.

My question is... where should I really start? I've taken note of all the manufacturers in the OP. Is is possible for me to just head into a shop (even Best Buy?) or some place that has a home theatre room basically and test out what they have and see if I can get a decent set based on the recommendations. I wish I could just order online but that's not really an option for me.

My budget is quite high but I'm looking to spend not much more than maybe $1000-$1200.

The room that I'll have this setup in is relatively small so it doesn't need to be and incredible loud setup but basically something that gives me excellent sound qualities for all my games/movies and music too.

Sorry about rambling there and hopefully that makes sense. If anyone can point me in a good direction I'd be really grateful, thanks.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Ocular posted:

Is is possible for me to just head into a shop (even Best Buy?) or some place that has a home theatre room basically and test out what they have and see if I can get a decent set based on the recommendations.

Yes, this is exactly what you should do. Once you've decided on a setup ask if you can try it at home. Hi-Fi shops normally let you do that for a nominal fee. If it still sounds good, pay the bill and you're set.

Since you're Canadian, why not sample the local goods? NAD electronics and Athena, Energy or Totem speakers are examples of Canadian audio expertise.

dammitcharlie posted:

I'm considering going with some Swans because mine kick so much rear end. Is this a good decision?

As long as you like them it is. You're the one who has to listen to them, after all.

threeagainstfour posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking of pairing the following receiver with a pair of Polk Audio monitor 60s:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR309-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRCE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

So my question is, would this meet my needs?

That receiver only had 3 HDMI ins. How many devices are you going to connect? If you need more HDMI ins, get a receiver with the right number of inputs right away. It'll make everything so much easier.

As a general note, the suitable number is usually at least 4. HTPC, gaming console (or 2), cable box, Blu-Ray player.

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Yes, this is exactly what you should do. Once you've decided on a setup ask if you can try it at home. Hi-Fi shops normally let you do that for a nominal fee. If it still sounds good, pay the bill and you're set.

Since you're Canadian, why not sample the local goods? NAD electronics and Athena, Energy or Totem speakers are examples of Canadian audio expertise.

As long as you like them it is. You're the one who has to listen to them, after all

Awesome, thank you so much for the help and guidance. This really helps and I appreciate it.

I will have to check those out as I've not heard much about them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Very useful thread, I want to say thanks to Hob and jonathan for helping clarify the muddy as gently caress HT field.

I just placed an order for a 55" GT30 and am really considering getting a 3 speaker setup to compliment it. We've always just used the TV speakers for everything, and they're okay on the 42" Panasonic plasma we've got currently.

I'm wondering if its such a substantive benefit in the viewing experience - primarily movies - over TV speaker sound to justify the approximately ~$500 for 2 Monitor 70s and a CS2 center speaker..

As far as price off retail that's pretty good, and what I've read about these speakers is that they're quite good. But it's still $500, plus the $200 receiver I won't need unless I get them.

Kind of silly to say this in a HT system thread, but help me make a decision!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I dont get the huge boners over polk monitors, ive heard them, theyre very bright and arent that great. These would be a much better buy imo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B000LQ2ABK

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

So, just referring to a few posts above about my first home theatre system build, just a minor update. I went into really only of the only places that stock home theatre equipment which was best buy. I eyed some of the equipment there and some dude came around to give me a hand. I basically explained, medium sized apartment looking for 5.1 or 7.1, doesn't matter too much to me, I would like just 2 tower speakers (dunno why, just completes the home theatre look itself.) within the 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

They seemed to have some good receivers, a few good Denons that had been recommended so I'm confident in their equipment on that end at least. The salesperson was really condescending and insisted that I don't need "big speakers to get a good sound" (I knew this, he just said it in a way that implied "heh dumb kid comes in here buyin' MY speaks," As indicated, regardless of the setup I would really like at least 2 tower speakers, might end up turning it into a 7.1 setup but that's no big deal.

Anyway in the long run the salesperson recommended to me that I get this $670 Onkyo receiver and a Harmon/Kardon 5.1 system with little tiny speaks tailored more for like luxuries rooms it seemed. They were about $550 so that alone would be over $1200, one other thing, the salesperson really scoffed at me when I said I'd probably just get my cables/accessories off monoprice rather that immediately accept his rocketfish banana plugs. Should this guy's advice be trusted?

I'm really just looking for a good or decent Denon or Onkyo receiver and a 5.1 set of good/decent speakers with at least 2 tall speakers. How much would this sort of thing realistically cost and where should I acquire the items. Online shopping better.

Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ocular posted:

Should this guy's advice be trusted?

No. Sounds like he's trying to push the highest markup stuff on you. For starters, I would check craigslist or kijijijijijijjjijij for some used speakers. Check some reviews or post some ads here, and we can tell you if they're a good deal or not. Quality speakers depreciate well but stand up well, so the used market usually has some gems.