Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KillHour posted:

What car do you have with lead rotors?

Oh hey! new page!

I meant to post my new office setup for the wife:

Suck it audiophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My dad has tons of those Realistic speakers around and I love them. You can also use them to fight off a home intruder because they weigh a ton.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do the cords have enough give that you can run them down the back and then just straight horizontally across the bookshelf face? Might almost look like part of the design.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just drill a small 1/4" hole in the back of the shelving unit for those wires, person who runs wires from the front!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

RichterIX posted:

My dad has tons of those Realistic speakers around and I love them. You can also use them to fight off a home intruder because they weigh a ton.
Those are the Minimus-77. Slightly larger than the Minimus 7 you might be thinking about.
I have a pair of Minimus 11's that I love. I think they sound great for what they are. They weigh even more.

If you're into old Radio Shack poo poo, check this out:
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

For real though, I think if I built a proper crossover for them, they'd sound pretty decent.

The Dave posted:

Do the cords have enough give that you can run them down the back and then just straight horizontally across the bookshelf face? Might almost look like part of the design.

No, but I'm gonna just going to make new cables and poke a hole in the back. Those "cables" are just some leftover Cat3 I had laying round from something.
This was just a quick hackjob so I could listen to music while I pulled cat6 up from the basement.

Edit:
Holy poo poo someone is selling basically the same setup on Ebay for $80

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pr-VINTAGE-Radio-Shack-Optimus-Pro-7AV-Speakers-Black-w-Archer-Amp-15-1279A-/302595298975

hahahafuck why are these speakers $50+ goddamn dollars?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 17, 2018

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those are the Minimus-77. Slightly larger than the Minimus 7 you might be thinking about.
I have a pair of Minimus 11's that I love. I think they sound great for what they are. They weigh even more.

If you're into old Radio Shack poo poo, check this out:
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

For real though, I think if I built a proper crossover for them, they'd sound pretty decent.

This is cool to read, and you're right, I was thinking of the Minimus 7. I should go steal some of my dad's and find a dirt cheap 2 channel receiver to use as a bedroom setup. I think he has at least 6 pairs of the drat things.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of powered bookshelf speakers under $150? All the ones I'm finding aren't powered. I need some speakers for a turntable for a relatively small living room. Basically I'm trying to do number 1 here https://uturnaudio.com/pages/connecting-your-turntable#content

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're using the wrong terminology. Search for studio monitors and you'll find lots of options. I don't know what's good for $150 though.

Alternatively, get a T-amp and whatever bookshelf speakers fit your budget. It adds some complication, but still be small.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Van Dis posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of powered bookshelf speakers under $150? All the ones I'm finding aren't powered. I need some speakers for a turntable for a relatively small living room. Basically I'm trying to do number 1 here https://uturnaudio.com/pages/connecting-your-turntable#content

Edifer or Mackie

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cornjob posted:

Edifer or Mackie

Seconding Mackie. $150 isn't going to get you great speakers anywhere but Mackie are probably the least worst?
Their Pro gear is loving tits though.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
I need sone tips about bookshelf speakers. Cheap, small and good enough is the goal.
They are gonna be driven by a Onkyo tx-nr676e

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fadderman posted:

I need sone tips about bookshelf speakers. Cheap, small and good enough is the goal.
They are gonna be driven by a Onkyo tx-nr676e

How cheap and how small? KEF Q100s for $229 on Amazon are probably the best deal this moment but there's a few others like the Sony SSCS5 [on sale for $115 at Best Buy], Polk S15, Q Acoustics 2020i, Wavecrest HVL-1, and if those are too big and too expensive there's 4" woofer models like the Micca MB42X or Polk S10. Don't go any smaller than a 4" woofer.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

qirex posted:

How cheap and how small? KEF Q100s for $229 on Amazon are probably the best deal this moment but there's a few others like the Sony SSCS5 [on sale for $115 at Best Buy], Polk S15, Q Acoustics 2020i, Wavecrest HVL-1, and if those are too big and too expensive there's 4" woofer models like the Micca MB42X or Polk S10. Don't go any smaller than a 4" woofer.

I am in a eurepean country outside eu and with big import duty fees, so budget around 300$ with delivery and a 25% import fee.

Have been checking amazon on recommend speakers and 110$ shipping fee is hard to stomach so if some euro goon could chime in about some alternative would be super

fadderman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 20, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In that case you're probably just subject to whatever you can get locally. Canton and Focal are good European brands.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Full Circle posted:

If you don't mind some DIY I made a pair of these:
http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-and-Plywood-Speaker-Stands-for-Cheap/
~10 years ago and they have held up perfectly. If you use nicer wood or put some effort into paint finishing you'll get better looking results than anything you can find under $200 retail, while being incredibly stable and isolating.

It was a different site I was looking at but many years ago I put together a pair of these by sandwiching a PVC pipe between 2 squares of MDF. Having a decent set of stable speaker stands is definitely recommended, carpet absolutely eats higher frequencies. I did a lot of research beforehand and tried to avoid audiophile wankery, but in all my non-blind A/B tests I feel like cymbals and other treble sounds noticeably better. Same is true for all speakers/frequencies but it gets much less obvious the lower the sound.

Don't just put your speakers straight on the carpet that is speaker abuse :(

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

KozmoNaut posted:

I know a fair few people use JBL LSR308s for HT setups.

For a bigger setup on a budget, the Behringer B215XL PA speakers are apparently rather popular. They'll reach ~115dB with a standard 100WPC receiver.

Pro audio is good stuff.

This post had me curious so I did some reading and long story short I got a pair of Behringer B212XL speakers and they sound really good. They don't have a lot of bass so they must be used with a sub, which I have, but they are so much clearer sounding than my old towers. It's amazing really.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I bought a WXAD-10 to stream music to pre-existing active PA speakers. Works flawlessly and multiroom with my rx-v681 is very neat. Very happy with the purchase.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Are there any decent guides that show the difference between the NAN D 3020 and the new 3020 V2? The V2's big selling point seems to be the addition of a phono input which I don't care about. The other option I see is to drop down to a NAN 1050. Some dude on Amazon says

some dude on Amazon posted:

If you need a great DAC, you'll want to buy the 1050.
If you are looking for a great, all around integrated amp then you will want the 3020.

Do I... do I need an integrated amp instead of/in addition to a DAC? :ohdear: This is all to power 2 8ohm bookshelf speakers and a sub, strictly 2.1 audio. I guess the only real feature I'd be interested in is being able to set the LFE crossover on the receiver to send that stuff straight to the sub. Is there anything online yet that compares the 1050 to the 3020/V2?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I mean...do you have a different amp to pair with just a DAC? What speakers are you using?

I looked into the original D 3020 but there were lots of reported quality and heat issues, as I recall. So maybe those got fixed in the V2.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Did any of you guys that went with Sierra 1 or 2s go with the NrT tweeter upgrade?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I mean...do you have a different amp to pair with just a DAC? What speakers are you using?

I looked into the original D 3020 but there were lots of reported quality and heat issues, as I recall. So maybe those got fixed in the V2.

I don't, so I guess it makes sense to need both. I wasn't thinking about an amp as the only means of amplification but of course there has to be at least one between source and speakers :downs: V2's only been out a few weeks, I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for a few reviews to roll in, spec-wise it sounds like it should do what I want.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a question about AM/FM antennas.

I have never had good audio reception from one of my receivers. Is this because of the antennas that come with them? I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR656. I have the antennas connected properly. FM I get some stations but there is static on all of them. AM...nothing comes in well at all. Especially KNBR 680 which just blasts their signal. I used to listen to it at night in LA. It can be picked up from Canada to Mexico to the Rockies and out into the pacific.

I am 20 miles away and can't pick it up.

Is this due to interference from other stuff or are these antenna cables just utter poo poo? Should I buy a specialized antenna or something?

E: The am receiver is a loop antenna. It has two cables that connect into ports at the back of the receiver. The FM one is just a long thin cable that has a connecter that is pretty much like a coax barrel connecter.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 4, 2018

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

You could try getting(or making) a dipole antenna for FM signals. Also play with placement/directionality a bit to see if you get better results.

AM is more susceptible to interference but you still might be able to get something better to help. Try moving it away from electronics and up as high as possible, and close to a window.

Of course, outdoor antennas will give you the best reception, if you wanna go that far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The person here before wired the room for sound. There are ports behind the AV center that run to the four corners of the ceiling. I am thinking of running the AM line into the rear ports. That would make for a pretty big antenna.

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

I have a Sony XBR49X900E 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model) being shipped and I need to get a replacement receiver. Currently have a 4 year old Onkyo 5.1 set and I would like to keep using the speakers since they are already mounted around the room. Looking for a new 5.1 that can do 4k with 5 HDMI inputs for Roku 4 Ultra, Apple TV 4k, Blu-Ray Player, Cable TV, and PC. Would like to keep the cost under $500. Thanks for any advice on this!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Denon AVR-X2300W 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with Bluetooth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E69LWWA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sD3DAb3V19RSF

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm thinking of adding Sierra1 or 2 monitors to my home theater setup. I got the TP-24 stands for the pair of CMT-340s last month, and they work well enough, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on monitor stands that were height adjustable?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Question for the thread:

My house has some outdoor speakers (stereo) that I'm thinking about hooking up (they look like they're just generic passive speakers). The wires are terminated in a location where I don't currently have a receiver or any other way to power the speakers (otherwise I'd just set them up as Zone 2 on a receiver or something).

I'd like to be able to stream to these speakers using Airplay (either over WIFI or wired Ethernet), and the goal here is for a super cheap solution. A small footprint would be nice as well. I can't find a small piece of hardware that can both do Airplay and act as an amplifier (aside from a full-size receiver, which would be overkill), so I'm thinking I will need a small stereo amplifier (something like this) and something that will just receive an Airplay stream.

Has anyone done this before? Any specific tips on hardware? For the Airplay side of things, it looks like there are several options ranging from the Apple Airport Express (more expensive and more capabilities than I really need), to no-name manufacturers (might fit the bill, but uncertain on quality/longevity), to using a Raspberry Pi (more tinkering than I'd prefer to do).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are you sticking with Airplay because you already have a receiver that has airplay?

I've done this exact same thing but with Chromecast Audios.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

The Dave posted:

Are you sticking with Airplay because you already have a receiver that has airplay?

I've done this exact same thing but with Chromecast Audios.

We have a bunch of macs. The tyipcal use case would be streaming from a Mac Mini on the other side of the house, but we could also be streaming from our iphones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jimtech posted:

I have a Sony XBR49X900E 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model) being shipped and I need to get a replacement receiver. Currently have a 4 year old Onkyo 5.1 set and I would like to keep using the speakers since they are already mounted around the room. Looking for a new 5.1 that can do 4k with 5 HDMI inputs for Roku 4 Ultra, Apple TV 4k, Blu-Ray Player, Cable TV, and PC. Would like to keep the cost under $500. Thanks for any advice on this!

The Sony STR-DN 1080 is pretty well reviewed and should have Bravia Sync compatibility with your TV.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Maybe I'm missing something really obvious, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells stereo or even single RCA cables under 1 foot. The exception is the Schiit store that sells 6" cables specifically for connecting the DAC and amp I'm using, but I would rather not spend $30 when I can get a longer monoprice cable of the same quality for a 1/6th the price. Does anyone know of another place that has them?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

EDIT: NVM

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I found a few on amazon but they are all $30+ for a 6" cable.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
So I got this ELAC S10EQ sub to replace my dead PSW505 and am really disappointed. It does the same thing that my PSW10 did when movies have that ultra-low rumbling it starts popping and sounding like poo poo. (it was real bad watching the new Cloverfield on it). Am I doing something wrong or is a 10" woofer just not going to cut it for movies? I wanted something smaller than the 505 which it is, and I like the placement better.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

n.. posted:

So I got this ELAC S10EQ sub to replace my dead PSW505 and am really disappointed. It does the same thing that my PSW10 did when movies have that ultra-low rumbling it starts popping and sounding like poo poo. (it was real bad watching the new Cloverfield on it). Am I doing something wrong or is a 10" woofer just not going to cut it for movies? I wanted something smaller than the 505 which it is, and I like the placement better.

You may have it set too high, which is very easy to do if you set it at medium or low total system volume. Try to set the sub level while listening at or near the loudest level you will actually use for music or movies.

That being said, a 10" sub will probably never deliver gut-punch sub bass. This a is a very broad statement but most of them will not have meaningful output below 30 Hz, especially in medium or large spaces. If action movie floor rumbling is what you want there really is no replacement for displacement :v:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Panty Saluter posted:

You may have it set too high, which is very easy to do if you set it at medium or low total system volume.

Thanks, something like this is what is what I was hoping for. Will try that when I get home. I definitely set the sub volume while at a low main volume.

I was hoping the increased price and "long throw" would make it on par with the 505 but it really just isn't. The app and built in auto-EQ stuff is cool though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For all the hype that Elac's speakers get I never really hear anyone talk about their subs and there's probably a reason for that. For a similar price you could get an entry level Hsu, RSL, SVS or Rythmik.

You could also try just moving it closer to the couch :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Me from back in November.

Thermopyle posted:

I'm going back and forth on whether to get an AVR and pair it with the two good/decent Bose bookshelf speakers (I was given them and my Googlin leads me to believe they're ok) I have now and adding speakers over time as the budget allows, or to get a Vizio 5.1 soundbar. I'm considering the Denon AVRS730H at $350 or whatever Vizio 5.1 soundbar system is around that price, but someone could talk me out of that.

I've got a 2015-ish Vizio 5.1system on one of our TVs and it's ok to us.

The real question is whether or not me or the other regular TV/movie/music listeners in my household are going to regret having to watch stuff with only 2 channels and no center channel.

Is it going to suck? I mean, I realize lots of TVs just have 2 channel speakers built in, but the separation is going to be even more so it makes me wonder how its going to work out.

I'm wondering what sub I should pair with that setup? There's lots of recommendations I find via Googlin, but I haven't found a ton of recommendations for the usage in my house which is a mix of watching TV, watching movies, and listening to a variety of modern stuff which is usually bass-heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Any good sub will be able to be tweaked to work with your system. The main factors are budget and where you can fit the thing.