Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Elacs and the Kefs have VERY similar designs, so hopefully you can listen to both. My vote would be for the Kefs, but a lot of that is because of the walnut finish you can get.

you mean graphite? (All three finishes are really nifty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Ok Comboomer posted:

worth noting that KEF Q series goes on heavy discount a lot, both on kefdirect (KEF direct online store) and from retailers like Crutchfield, etc.

and by “heavy discount” I mean like 30-50% off msrp, so maybe it’s worth keeping your eyes open and waiting for a brief bit

usually many places will have Mother’s Day and Dads+Grads sales

In my original post I mentioned I get the Best Buy corporate discount so the KEFs are all 45% off. The ELACs have a 56% discount.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty hard to go wrong with Kef, tbh.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I remember there are some people in here with lots of experience with B&O stuff. I previously asked about and ended up getting some Beolab 8000s for a holiday home, they are really awesome and in general the setup is great with no loving around with amplifiers etc.

What's the view on Beolab 20s? i can get a pair for £5k and the company will change the covers to a nice acoustic fabric which should look pretty great. I've wanted to upgrade the sound system in the living room for a while but neither I nor my GF really want the classic floor stander hi-fi speakers, and B&O really fit the bill.

The covering fabric will probably be this stuff, likely Lead colour
https://www.camirafabrics.com/en/fabrics/contract/cara

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2021/04/27/xbox-series-x-hdmi-bug-fix-announced-for-denon-and-marantz-receivers/amp/

Looks like last year's models have a fix and it's an additional box you hook your system to which then hooks to your receiver. I'm guessing a full internal implementation won't be ready until next year's models?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Animale posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2021/04/27/xbox-series-x-hdmi-bug-fix-announced-for-denon-and-marantz-receivers/amp/

Looks like last year's models have a fix and it's an additional box you hook your system to which then hooks to your receiver. I'm guessing a full internal implementation won't be ready until next year's models?

That affects PS5s too right? They just mention xbox most of the time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

That affects PS5s too right? They just mention xbox most of the time.

Just Xbox series X and some video cards, although generally you can configure the video cards to avoid the issue.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Animale posted:

Oh cool I was hoping they would fix uuuuh

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
They're fixing what was originally a bandwidth issue, PS5s max out at 32GB/s and the Xboxes max out at 40GB/s so PS5s were fine. I'd imagine the new boxes go up to 48GB/s (HDMI 2.1 max bandwidth) but who knows.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Another post about my KEF Q Series inquiries. Pretty decided on the KEF Q750 towers. For bookshelves and center should I also get the Qs with the 6.5" driver? If they're just surround should I save the money and get the Q150s with the 5.25" instead? Same exact question for the center.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yes, get he matching center with the 6.5” drivers if you can. Feel free to save money on the surrounds by going with the 5.25” ones. Would 6.5” surrounds technically be better? Sure, at a purely technical level. But not enough to care.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KingKapalone posted:

Another post about my KEF Q Series inquiries. Pretty decided on the KEF Q750 towers. For bookshelves and center should I also get the Qs with the 6.5" driver? If they're just surround should I save the money and get the Q150s with the 5.25" instead? Same exact question for the center.

Save the money on the Q150s, definitely. For the center you should 1) match the size of the primary driver (the fancy “Uni-Q” one) to the one in your fronts (so 6.5” if the fronts are 6.5”, etc) 2) get what will fit under your tv/in your cabinet.

Tldr: get whatever Center model will match best with the L/R in terms of driver size as long as it physically fits in the space you want to put it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Save the money on the Q150s, definitely. For the center you should 1) match the size of the primary driver (the fancy “Uni-Q” one) to the one in your fronts (so 6.5” if the fronts are 6.5”, etc) 2) get what will fit under your tv/in your cabinet.

Tldr: get whatever Center model will match best with the L/R in terms of driver size as long as it physically fits in the space you want to put it.

The size is something I was thinking about and I posted this in the TV thread. I imagine we're all thinking about the same thing, so sure I'll cross post it here:

Question about TV height. My TV stand is 23.5" and I plan to get a new center speaker that would need to be on top so the TV (LG 65" C7) would have to be mounted above that. The speaker is 8.3" tall, so the bottom of the TV would be at least 31.8" off the floor. The top of the TV would be at about 64" then.

My eye level sitting up right in the main spot on the couch is roughly 37" off the floor. If I'm laying down then it's only about 27". I sit about 9.5 feet away. Is that TV mount going to be too high? How should I calculate all this? I'm wondering if I need a shorter TV stand. If I ever got a bigger TV I imagine it would be even more of an issue.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That KEF Q650 center is gigantic, it’s apparently really good but just be ready for how big it is [8.5” tall, 25” wide and nearly a foot deep].

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My Klipsch RP600C is almost that big, and they make bigger ones (with four woofers)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Any good budget subwoofers out there? $150-250ish

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I snagged my Polk PSW505 for 150 on black friday years ago, and it's totally worth that. Seems like price has gone up though, if your patient you can probably catch it on sale though. Avoid the PSW10

Klipsch R12SW, and the BIC F12 are options in the sub 250 range.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I picked up some Monitor Audio Bronze 5 towers the other day for $200. I currently don't have have a sub and listening to these for a little, I really like them but I need a sub. Some one locally has an F12 for $100 so I figurer that's an easy trigger to pull. My next question is once I'm there and have a really unbalanced system, should I consider changing up my amplification set up from the old sony receiver I picked up years ago at a garage sale? I figure something like a Minidsp DDRC-24 and a 2 channel amp? Where I'm getting lost is figuring out how to rationalize all the inputs. I dont really want to spend boat loads of money on a budget set up, but DSPs sound like a really good way to fix hardware problems with software.

I'm not sure I'm clear on how I would be able to run all my inputs through the DSP and then out through an amplifier. If I went with an AVR I think it would clearly handle all the inputs, and let the TV control volume which would be nice, but Im not sure how to loop the miniDSP with that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sadi posted:

I'm not sure I'm clear on how I would be able to run all my inputs through the DSP and then out through an amplifier. If I went with an AVR I think it would clearly handle all the inputs, and let the TV control volume which would be nice, but Im not sure how to loop the miniDSP with that.

Is there a particular reason you want to use a minidsp over a receiver's eq calibration?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sadi posted:

Some one locally has an F12 for $100 so I figurer that's an easy trigger to pull.
A Rythmik F12? Yes. BIC? I guess.

As far as the rest it's a bit of a juggling act between the features you want and how complicated you can tolerate everything being. Rolling the miniDSP in there is going to be a challenge. Nobody really makes preamps anymore and you're going to need volume control. There are some relatively affordable Marantz and Yamaha receivers that have L/R pre outs you might look into models a few years old. Also that old Sony receiver might be fine for the moment, I had to Goodwill a 2009-era ES because nobody wanted it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Dumb question here: I recently upgraded from a soundbar to a Denon AVR-S750H with bookshelf speakers. With my old setup (console > TV > soundbar), when I turned on a game console, the soundbar and TV would turn on automatically. With the new setup (console > receiver > TV) if I turn a console on the TV turns on, but the receiver stays in standby/bypass, and the TV defaults back to it's built in speakers. Can I change it so the receiver switches on with the console, or do I have to connect the consoles directly to the TV and the TV to the receiver?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How’s the receiver connected to the TV? HDMI check your ARC settings. If it’s optical, I don’t think you can.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

It's connected via HDMI to the ARC port. What settings should I be looking at?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone have a recommendation for a sub isolation pad? I see these as an option too: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/svs-soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system-black/5707605.p?skuId=5707605

Also my new KEF Q150s are wider and longer than my current rear bookshelves plus my speaker stands were already not those most sturdy, so I should get new ones. Any recommendations?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have those SVS Soundpath isolation feet on my SVS SB12 Plus and they work quite well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I put some vibrapods on my v2w due to needing a specific weird config for the sub (which I still ended up having to machine them a little) and they’ve held up quite well.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a sub isolation pad? I see these as an option too: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/svs-soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system-black/5707605.p?skuId=5707605

Also my new KEF Q150s are wider and longer than my current rear bookshelves plus my speaker stands were already not those most sturdy, so I should get new ones. Any recommendations?

Those SVS pods work great.

Monoprice has a massive number of good speaker stands. Pick something that looks stable and has a large top plate, then use some museum putty to glue your speakers into it.

These are good, but I don’t know what height you want:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...FhoCSNUQAvD_BwE

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Hmm Vibrapods are half the price and I have two subs. I wonder how these two things compare to each other?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I lied, I was looking at my order history and I got both things but I ended up using the SVS feet. So get those!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

Hmm Vibrapods are half the price and I have two subs. I wonder how these two things compare to each other?

Buy cheap, buy twice :v:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I guess that goes for speaker stands too! The ones I have now look to be these exact ones but from a different manufacturer I think: https://smile.amazon.com/ECHOGEAR-Bookshelf-Speaker-Stand-Pair/dp/B07T1DCVGZ/

They're 30" tall and the top plate is just 5"x5" but these new KEF Q150s are 7"x11". These are 6.5"x6.5" up top at least and almost 1/3rd the price of the Monoprice. Seems silly to spend $120 on stands! https://smile.amazon.com/Atlantic-77335799-Speaker-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B007P8DKDE/

I don't have kids yet, but probably soon and I assume a toddler would easily knock the speaker off the top. I don't think my stands now would fall over, but the velcro holding the speaker on top could give.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KingKapalone posted:

I guess that goes for speaker stands too! The ones I have now look to be these exact ones but from a different manufacturer I think: https://smile.amazon.com/ECHOGEAR-Bookshelf-Speaker-Stand-Pair/dp/B07T1DCVGZ/

They're 30" tall and the top plate is just 5"x5" but these new KEF Q150s are 7"x11". These are 6.5"x6.5" up top at least and almost 1/3rd the price of the Monoprice. Seems silly to spend $120 on stands! https://smile.amazon.com/Atlantic-77335799-Speaker-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B007P8DKDE/

I don't have kids yet, but probably soon and I assume a toddler would easily knock the speaker off the top. I don't think my stands now would fall over, but the velcro holding the speaker on top could give.

Dude a toddler doesn't care what stands you get, they're gonna find a way to tip them over and hurt themselves.
You have like a year after they're born so don't sweat it, but once it's time, just accept that you cannot have nice things anymore, and wall mount those suckers: https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Cl...aker+wall+mount
(Not a recommendation of these specific mounts.)

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I've been doing some cleaning out and stumbled across a bunch of my old dualdiscs that have dolby digital/high resolution 5.1 mixes of some of my favorite albums. I currently only have my Xbox One X and 360 hooked up to my surround sound setup. I tried putting one in my Xbox and play it is a DVD, but it didn't seem to work or play these 5.1 mixes. Anyone know if there is a way to get these working on my Xbox? Alternatively, what is the best/cheapest way to play one?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Are they dvd audio or SACD?

I guess all dualdiscs are dvd audio…

Xbone doesn’t support either anyway is your answer

Dogen fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 4, 2021

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

I just upgraded from my old TV from 2012 to a new LG OLED. Before, I had an Onkyo AVR with all of my devices plugged in to that and then the AVR plugged in to the TV. Easy. Now that I have a fancier TV that supports stuff my AVR doesn't (4k, HDR, etc), I want to upgrade to a new one. Right now, I'm using a Thenaudio Sharc to tide me over (though I'm having issues with it, like everything getting downmixed to stereo, but that's another story). But I have a question about eARC in general. Can I mix and match where things are plugged in? In the diagram above, I laid out how I want to have everything arranged: PS5 + Xbox direct to the TV and all other devices going through some new AVR and then to the TV. Will this setup work like I expect? I know the HDMI 2.1 AVRs are pretty limited (Denon has that one with compatibility issues, but there may be others?), so I'd like this setup so I can get all the HDMI 2.1 features from the devices that need it and still route the sound out through the surround speakers. Is this how eARC is meant to be used? Most of the stuff I've read is about using it for built in TV apps and not other HDMI sources.

I would have liked to do this setup with the Sharc, but according to them it won't work because it might create a CEC loop, so I want to make sure that's a Sharc thing and not an eARC thing in general.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
personally, I don't have EARC stuff, just ARC, and in that case it's just the built in roku tv stuff using it (not hdmi in to tv). "on paper" I would think ARC/EARC would just work that whatever the current active input is from the TV would output audio to the AVR, if it wasn't designed to do that then it's really dumb.

Curious what the answer is, and perhaps you'll be updating your AVR to support it all..

Also how long did you spend scouring websites to get both consoles that aren't in stock anywhere?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

falz posted:

Also how long did you spend scouring websites to get both consoles that aren't in stock anywhere?

I had Wario64's twitter on push notifications...lots of noise, but ended up paying off. (Also having a job where I'm sitting in front a computer the whole time and can jump on orders when they go up helps too)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The true answer to every ARC/eARC question is "it depends on your specific combination of equipment," but you can theoretically mix and match, I have my PS4 and Tivo plugged into my TV and other stuff into my receiver and it works.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When you set your TV's input to something other than the HDMI eARC input, the AV Receiver should also automatically switch to it's eARC/TV input provided you have HDMI CEC enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone have the JBL Bar 9.1 and keep the rears on 24/7 USB charging? Mine seem to go to sleep / not charge completely that way until I unplug and re-plug them, but I've got them on a 2A APC wall outlet surge protector + USB and a goddamn 10W iPad brick after I thought the APC unit was somehow unable to handle both. Surely it can't be the cables? I bought a pair of brand new 9'ers just for these speakers.

I've e-mailed support but the Canadian outfit seems to contract out; if they're clueless I'll call the American line.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

When you set your TV's input to something other than the HDMI eARC input, the AV Receiver should also automatically switch to it's eARC/TV input provided you have HDMI CEC enabled.
Is there any way to stop this? I power my XBox One on, then the TV, and end up having to switch the soundbar back to the other input because the chain is XBox --> Bar --> TV. The TV is six years old now so I figure it's best to have the most modern piece of equipment at the centre.