Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm with dragonkeeper. I really want to pull the trigger on a pair of those Polk towers because of the price and the reviews (and I think the cherry looks great). But I'd really lime to hear them in action first. I just have no idea where I can go to listen to a pair. It seems newegg is the only one selling them.

FYI big sale on all Polk on newegg for memorial day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

film_critic posted:

thanks for the heads up on that sale. I'm going to pick up the monitor 60's and the cs2 center. Will report back in when they are all setup.
Just curious - why the monitor 60s vs the 70s?

Also what receiver did you pick up? Or did you already have something

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Maybe you like magenta better than red

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Keeping with our color metaphor, a certain brand might have dialed in the perfect magenta color for you. Then they designed their entire product around that color adjustment.
So even if you were willing to spend all the time in the world to reproduce that "color", you might still be at a disadvantage because the hardware would also need to be tweaked. And why spend all that time when you really like the house "color"?

It's like anything else you buy really. Brands do stuff to differentiate themselves. That's why they exist.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about the Airmotiv 4?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ooo do the Adams. Ribbon tweeters are great.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

BigFactory posted:

Unless you’re really allergic to wires you could get a used stereo receiver and a pair of speakers for a lot less than what you’re looking to spend for that stuff.

What's the best way to play PC music wirelessly to the stereo receiver?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Yes. My desktop PC is hooked to my router and can play my whole library via the Sonos app on my PC. I can also access that library from my phone app to play on the Sonos as well. It's neat.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Can you use the Ascends as HT speakers too?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Which one do you have? I'm thinking of doing exactly that.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is Ascend Audio still a good option?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

knox_harrington posted:

2 speakers! Stereo sound. Wow

They really do sound excellent.

Those look fuckin awesome. Did B&O do the fabric covering for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

For those with the budget, Ascend is having a sale on their shiny black speakers:
https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/black-friday-sale

I have had the Sierra-1s for 15 years now, and I cannot say enough good things about them. If you have the budget for $1000+ for a pair of front speakers, these are end game speakers. You will never need to upgrade them, ever.

How would the bookshelfs do with a Sonos amp?

I'm debating getting these or the KEFs on sale with a Sonos amp or just saying gently caress it and getting Sonos speakers. I already have a few of the Sonos 1s that I like for the convenience. Need more sound in the basement though.