Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just moved to a new house and am working with a blank slate for my home theater setup. I'm going to be buying a new tv, bluray player, and some kind of sound system. Leaning towards a sound bar with a center channel vs passive speakers. I currently own a Denon AVR-1913 and besides lacking bluetooth, are there any specific features I am missing out on vs a newer model? I would probably end up using a soundbar/speakers run through receiver for better audio while watching movies I am streaming or from the bluray player, and any music is likely going to be streaming via Spotify somehow. I have a small living room and am undecided on rear speakers at the moment and definitely do not care about buying the hardware necessary for Atmos. Leaning towards a sound bar or some type just because I like the look of them more and am not sure how I would make space for a couple side speakers.

Edit: hmm, I guess it can't do 4k video passthru so I'd probably need to connect up my bluray player directly to the tv, probably the same with my cable box, Fire stick, etc. If I go the sound bar route without any additional passive speakers, it wouldn't even get used I guess?

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KozmoNaut posted:

(I've got an AVR-1911 that I expect to keep for a long time)

The really big thing your AVR-1913 doesn't have is 4K video or 4K passthrough. It also doesn't support Atmos, but it does support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, so unless you specifically want Atmos and have enough speakers for it, it's not an issue.

Since you're buying a new TV, I strongly assume you will be getting a 4K-capable model. In that case, if you don't replace the receiver with one that can handle 4K, you'll have to plug your devices into the TV and run audio to the receiver via HDMI ARC.

Aside from 4K (including HDR) and Atmos, what you generally get with a newer receiver are more streaming options (Bluetooth, built-in Netflix/Spotify and so on), probably a newer better room correction system and possibly phone app integration.

Hah yeah I came to that conclusion and edited my post just as you posted. I really wish the 1913 had bluetooth, that is an absolute must for me. And no intention of ever buying the kit needed for Atmos. If I go the sound bar route it looks like the receiver might not get used at all at this point. Hmmmm.

Edit: I guess I could pick up a bluetooth receiver as an add-on...

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 12, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mariooncrack posted:

I added bluetooth to an old receiver using a raspberry pi and moode audio. You could add bluetooth or airplay.

brand engager posted:

I have one of these connected to some old computer speakers in my bedroom, it has a 3.5mm TRS output and RCA output. https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/speakers/bluetooth-audio-adapter.980-000910.html

Thanks. I am still mulling all my choices here. I guess I've realized that it's the form factor of the soundbar that I want the most, so now I'm considering a passive soundbar paired with my existing receiver. Doesn't seem like there's really a ton of them though so maybe this is a dumb idea.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Passive speakers with an external amp/pre/receiver situation will give you the most flexibility in terms of gear choices and arguably the best possible sound quality. You might also have the option to go with in-wall speakers, of which there are good options at many price points—starting at <$200 for JBL. This, of course, requires you to cut a hole in your wall/pay somebody to cut your wall.

Yeah I just spent several weeks patching holes in walls and ceilings in this room and there will be no more of that going on. I guess I am slowly convincing myself to just get some passive speakers even though I really have no idea where I'll put the L/R ones and just generally hate the look of exposed speakers. I still have to buy some kind of furniture for all the AV gear so maybe I'll get creative and hide them inside a cabinet or something.