Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

You could just get something like this for a lot cheaper if you want to keep the current 5.1 system:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8202&seq=1&format=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I'm enjoying my Monitor60c's in a 2.1 setup currently. Just be warned that the highs on Polk speakers are probably higher than most other brands but I don't mind it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

If you do want/go for the 60's, NewEgg is doing a deal for new one's in the cherry finish for $100/each:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=monitor60&x=0&y=0

Or you could go with those open box ones for $64/each (I figure NewEgg would be easier to return if there are problems with them being used over eBay).

If you just want "a receiver" to power these and be able to hook up all your components, check out the Pioneer VSX-521.

Or you could go with TV -> Optical out -> T-Amp for even cheaper and get better speakers if you wanted.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The receiver would only be nice to have if you wanted more than a 2.0 system like you said. A T-Amp is just a simple amplifier that's usually used for headphones or speakers without all the extra stuff.

The simplest method for powering the speakers would be a T-Amp like so:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2x75W-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B001P2R1RW/ref=sr_1_17?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1328851938&sr=1-17

If you wanted one with a few more bells and whistles:
http://www.amazon.com/PTAU34-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-Inputs/dp/B003NVV3W2/ref=sr_1_28?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1328852029&sr=1-28

Depending on your TV, all you would need is a 3.5mm to Male RCA or just a Male RCA to Male RCA cable to get audio from your TV to the amp.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

unknown poster posted:

When googling user reviews and stuff, I'm seeing a lot of issues with a lot of lag changing/browsing cable channels, and having to reboot when switching different resolution sources. Is that just something one has to deal with on entry level receivers?

I'm not really sure what they mean by lag or the rebooting issue. I use my DVR fine with it and have never had to "reboot" the receiver (power cycling I'm assuming). I change sources all day between a 720p DVR, 1080p PS3, and a 720p AppleTV and haven't had issues.

The only lag I can speak of is when I hit the guide button on the DVR on HD channels. The only reason I think is that it switches resolutions to a smaller picture for the guide window, so the screen flickers when I open and close the guide.

Somewhat annoying but I don't think it's because of the quality of the receiver. It may just be something that you have to live with when using receivers.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

So I just ditched my old 5.1 setup because of my new space and new receiver. I'm currently running two front Pioneer speakers (SP-BS21), a Pioneer sub (SW-8) and a Yamaha receiver (Yamaha RX-V471). It sounds awesome so far (YPAO auto calibration) but in movies, dialogue is pretty quiet compared to the rest of the parts. I've always heard that a center speaker is only worthwhile in a 5.1 setup and that 3.1 is pointless but now I'm seeing conflicting information. Would adding a center speaker help to remedy this or is there some sort of other solution?

Make sure the audio is set to stereo and not surround sound. Hopefully that will remove the quiet dialogue.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

Do you mean through the receiver or device? I have the receiver set to "straight" and have every audio option checked for HDMI on my PS3.

If everything is going through the receiver, then try setting the receiver to stereo. If whatever device you are using to play movies (PS3, BluRay player) has a setting for stereo, try setting those also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

I'm trying to get my 360 to work with my Yamaha RX-V471 receiver via component but it's not working (I get audio but no video). I've tried resetting the 360 display settings and plugging it directly into the TV, which worked. I heard that if you use component for a device, the receiver also must be hooked to the TV via component and not HDMI- is this true?

Check the manual for pass through. I have a cheaper receiver and it doesn't convert component to hdmi.