Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

SeventySeven posted:

This is currently killing me. I'd love to pick up some of these speakers but I can't justify a trip down to Bellingham or Seattle to see if I could find some. Any ideas when they might be available up here? Or any recommendations for similarly priced solutions? I'm an apartment dweller on a tight budget so I'm probably looking for a 3.0 or a 3.1 system.

If you are in the Vancouver area, use TSB shipping in Point Roberts. (or other depot of your choice)

Ship items in your name, using their address. Once your stuff arrives just drive down, pay a few dollars fee, and bring your stuff back over the border.

It works great, you can take advantage of free ground shipping deals in the states, no hassling with brokerage fees, etc. I saved over 300 bux buying my winter tires via this route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Chin Strap posted:

subwoofer . suggestions?

What sort of price range would you like to keep it under?

Under 200 there are the entry level Dayton and Bic models.

Also popular is the Bic Acoustech PL-200 available Here and Here online. A best price offer of 279 will usually net one.

The also popular and slightly older Bic F-12 will run around 220.

lavasubs.com have been growing in popularity lately - they offer a discount to AV science forum members (a busy forum with lots of great info), so it's worth just signing up a free account there to save $.

Stepping up a notch, the very highly regarded Hsu subs are having a sale on their STF-2 at 319, which would beat the above subs.

On par with Hsu quality would be subs from SVS, Elemental Designs, Epik, Rythmik, Funky Waves, JTR, Danley, Seaton, Chase Home Theatre.

For interests sake, here is a monster thread dedicated to those Pioneer speakers you are getting. Have a look at the subwoofer section while you are over there.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

jonathan posted:

No. Sounds like he's trying to push the highest markup stuff on you. For starters, I would check craigslist or kijijijijijijjjijij for some used speakers. Check some reviews or post some ads here, and we can tell you if they're a good deal or not. Quality speakers depreciate well but stand up well, so the used market usually has some gems.

Another good option for used gear online is Canuckaudiomart.com

Ocular, where are you located? I might be able to recommend some shops in your area.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

duckfarts posted:

Anybody have any comments on JBL speakers? I'm trying to get Pioneer mid-range stuff or Paradigm here, but selection is limited, and most shops have odd local brands for speakers.

Ninja edit: I'm trying to set up a home theater setup for a smallerish living room, bookshelf speakers being the largest size I can go(can't do towers/floor units), primarily for movies, TV, and gaming.

JBL has a full line from entry level right up to fan-total-tastic. I would love to have 5 of the LSR6332 for multichannel.

On a more realistically affordable level, I quite like the L820 4-way :smugdog:

I've had a pair of the Control 1 monitors since the mid 90s, quite robust and nice sound.

Overall JBL is usually good stuff, keep on eye on the Harmon Ebay site, you can snag some sweet deals.

Also, you can order those new Pioneer speakers direct if you can't find them locally.

Also consider PSB as an option to Paradigm, you can find psb online a bit easier at places like DMC or Saturday Audio

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

duckfarts posted:

Another question: both the Denon AVR-1911 and Pioneer VSX-921 are available here and look suitable for my setup. The Pioneer one seems to have more inputs, but are there any other important differences between them? Anybody use one of these now or before?

Edit: I'm now narrowing my speakers down to Pioneer S-31 series bookshelves and center, Paradigm Atom Minis and CC-190 center, or PSB Image B4s and a C4 center, and a Pioneer VSX-921 as the receiver(no sub yet). One of the major differences between them is the warranty: Pioneers get 1 year, Paradigms get 5 years, and PSBs get 10 years.

Question: What exactly can go wrong with a speaker that requires warranty service? I'm used to them just being dumb devices that you plug wires into, and they just work. If you blow them out, that's your own fault for trying to go retarded loud and I don't think that's covered under warranty. The only thing I can think of is if they just go dead because maybe some connection burned out or something. Is this a common thing? Is it worthwhile to prefer the PSBs over the Pioneers because of the warranty? (over here, it's looking like $1000ish VS $1800ish for the speaker sets, and yes I get raped on price thanks a lot Taiwan)

Hi Duck, I would not let the warranty period be the main determining factor. As you surmise, there is not much to go wrong with speakers, providing that you don't abuse them. Any of those choices will sound great.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Weinertron posted:

I'm looking for some basic bookshelves to use as computer speakers, so I'm looking for something cheap good for near-field listening, and was considering something like Paradigm Micro Monitors and a T-amp.

However, my local hi-fi shop has some new Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450 on clearance for $297 for a pair. I contacted them to make sure that was per pair and not per speaker, as I've never seen those on sale for under $500. Would a 15 watt per channel T-amp driving these be a complete joke? I don't need loud, just looking for better sound than I could get from active computer speakers in the same price range.

I haven't been in to listen to them yet, and if they're not sealed I'll have to reconsider as I don't have room to put the speakers several feet from the wall as ported speakers need. I'm just curious if nice speakers plus a joke of a T-amp would be a horrible idea and if I should find a vintage amplifier for them.

Amazon page for the speakers in question: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-StudioMonitor-Speakers-Black/dp/B000UW07MO

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/products.aspx?productid=StudioMonitor%20450#More

Those DT 450's look nice, I love the big 10" passive tucked in the sides, it's like Clark Kent pulling open his shirt.

I notice the efficiency is a little lowish at 90db

Sensitivity :90 dB
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :20 – 225 watts

Might be best to consider the slightly higher powered t-amps such as the dayton dta-100a?

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Echo_ posted:

I'm looking to build a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for $400-$500. These speakers will go in my dorm room, so I'd prefer bookshelf speakers. I'm fine using just an stereo reciever or a t-amp because I'm only using these for music.

I've looked at the Paradigm and PSB speakers recommended here, but not really sure which ones are best suited for my budget and listening needs. If anyone could recommend me speakers and a receiver or t-amp, or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciatd.

Here is a suggestion for a super bang for buck system.

Lepai TA2020 t-amp. $25

along with a pair of Dayton Audio B652 bookshelf speakers. On sale right now for $29 a pair

An option for a more powerful tamp, the Dayton Audio DTA-100a 50w/$100, or perhaps go with a more traditional amp design, the Dayton Audio APA150 150w/$160.

If you're thinking of going with a sub, or building up multichannel in the future, a receiver is a great choice. I prefer the models that use the Audyssey room correction system, but any of the big names make good stuff, the best receiver under $500 thread has plenty of good advice.

From Paradigm the usual entry level choice is the very well know Atom from the Monitor Line, now just out in version 7.

From PSB the Alpha B1 is the entry level star, although I notice DMC there has the B15 at a similar price, those would be nice as well.

The Energy RC-10 is a great speaker and is in closeout pricing, excellent buy.

The Pioneer SP Line is very nice for the money, widely available.

The Infinity Primus line is good bang for buck, the P163 bookshelves and the P363 towers are the sweet picks.

You might optionally consider active studio monitors; Yamaha, JBL, KRK, Behringer would have some in your price range.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Echo_ posted:

I found a pretty good price on the PSB B15, so I'll probably snag those. Would there be a noticeable difference between using the $100 t-amp and the $160 amp? I guess is it worth the extra $60?

The apa150 will be heavier, draw more power, and does have a fan that may come on at times. It is however bridgeable whereas a t-amp is not and has a handy lowpass crossover control. It was sold by Emotiva for a while as the BPA-1, which may help you find some more reviews.

T-amps are very cool though, and the tk2050 chip based dta-100a will be able to power up most speakers to ample listening levels. As a plus, they are highly portable, have a headphone output, and they are a greener design being very efficient with power.

Don't underestimate that little Lepai, I know the price might be offputting, but for pocket money you get a nice little 2020 based amp with by-passable tone controls.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

SmutAnEggs posted:

1.) I like the two bass speakers on the floor speakers, just more full bass sound. Is there any other options I should look at for those? Would I even need a sub with this setup?

Yes, for any serious movie watching, you will want a sub. I also advocate sub use for two channel listening. With a decent sub properly integrated, you may be perfectly happy with some of the smaller speakers as opposed to the towers.

SmutAnEggs posted:

2.) How much better sounding are the paradigm studio 100 compared to the signature and monitor lines?

The line goes Monitor-SE-Studio-Sig. Often as new components are introduced at the top, Paradigm then bumps the older part down one line. I think each level is a step up, but each person will have a different value/price perspective, so best to have a listen for yourself if you can.

SmutAnEggs posted:

3.) I'll mostly being using 5.1 setup for movies. Very little music listening. Is it worth getting into studio 100 price range?

The studio line will represent a sizeable increase in price if you choose to use them in all channels. Optionally you might go with a Studio or SE front line up, and fill in the other spots with cheaper models such as the monitor line.

SmutAnEggs posted:

4.) What center speakers would match up with the Paradigm monitor 7,9 and Studio 100?

Center 1 to match the Monitor 7/9, Center 3 to match the Monitor 11, Studio CC-690 for the Studio 100

SmutAnEggs posted:

5.) I see that new versions of the paradigm speakers are released, is there a huge jump in quality between all the different versions?

Usually incremental increases, see #2

SmutAnEggs posted:

6.) For surround/rear is bi-directional better? Or are regular bookshelves just as good?

It would depend on the room and your personal choice.

SmutAnEggs posted:

7.) How do Marantz receivers compare to the Pioneer, Denon? Better quality or really just paying for the brand name?

All three are quality brands, one difference is that Marantz and Denon use the Audyssey room correction system, whereas Pioneer uses their own proprietary version.

SmutAnEggs posted:

8.) I was price quoted on monitor 9 pair for $1200, I believe their this years line? Is that to high?

That seems a little high, don't be afraid to ask for a discount, quite often Paradigm dealers will move on the price for you. You shouldn't pay full msrp.

By the sounds of it, you are the perfect candidate for the Paradigm SE line, they take the tweeter from the Studio line, add it to select Monitor line models, and give them the real wood veneer.

If you like Paradigm, you may also like PSB, another great Canadian speaker maker. A cheaper option you may like is the Infinity Primus line. On sale at Audioholics atm.

For your sub, you don't have to feel locked into matching your mains, often you will find a better sub for the money from a different manufacturer. Internet direct dealers have some great subs; Hsu, SVS, Elemental, Rythmik, etc.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

man thats gross posted:

:stare:

Some of the stuff people buy is just absolutely hosed, but this might not be a bad place to start. Thanks for the link, I didn't even know this place exists.

I have had very good success with Canuck audio mart over the last 5 years. I've bought an NAD integrated, DEQ2496, Heresy II, Vuum Tube Amp; all were local transactions CAM sourced and were flawless.

Both CAM and Audiogon are worthwhile stops for used gear shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

elevator music posted:

I've been pondering a modest upgrade to my system,.. old MCS 3835 receiver, Yamaha bookshelf speakers. My biggest current beef is that there is basically no audible bass, also Polk Audio Monitor70s.

Those Polk towers only have a -3 rolloff point of 40Hz so they are not going to plumb the depths of dubstep or anything.

I would recommend a powered subwoofer to go along with your current monitors, you will get better bass response from a dedicated sub and have the ability to place it for best bass response in your room.

This thread has an extensive listing of Subwoofers under 300.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1364182

Out of all those, the HSU STF-1 is an excellent choice, and also on sale atm.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html