Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Thanks for the amazing OP to this thread, I really enjoyed reading it!

My mother has just renovated her house, and purchased a TV, receiver, Blu-ray player and 5.1 speaker system. While the living room was being replastered she had the builders thread the speaker wiring through the walls.

I've just measured the distances from the middle of the TV to where the wires come out of the walls, and the front left and rear left speaker wires come out about 2 metres horizontally from the centre of the screen, while the front right and rear right wires come out of the wall about 1 metre horizontally from the middle of the screen.

I skimmed through my receiver's manual to see if distances can be set but I didn't see anything. I'm wondering how big of an issue it will be while watching something on this system, and I'm really hoping it will be negligible :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
I thought about drawing a diagram on a piece of paper and scanning it, but you get what I meant. I wish I could leave the speakers beside the TV, but the speaker wiring has already been threaded through the wall, and I can't pull it back out.
The speakers will be placed just below the ceiling in the four corners of the room.

FL<--2m-->TV<-1m->FR

is how they will be set up. The rears will be at the back of the room, opposite their corresponding front speakers.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007

jonathan posted:

Wait, so it's just bare shielded speaker wire sticking through the wall ? Generally people will have a wall plate installed. The speaker wires attach to the wall plate, and then you use a short speaker wire with banana plugs to connect the wall outlet to the speaker. They're easy to install and would like nicer.

Is there a was to move the TV .5 meters to the left ? Of just hang the left speaker 1m to the right, with a longer speaker wire ?

In the end, you can hook it up like your diagram, and should sound ok, but may sound a little odd during pans and things.

Yes, we're drilling the holes for the plates and fitting them up tomorrow. I will see how far I can move the TV to the left without hitting the door, which opens towards the TV. Unfortunately the speaker wire can't be pulled, and I wonder if it will snap if I try pulling it too hard (then I'd be hosed because we'd have to go buy more speaker wire!).
Thanks for the advice, guess if I notice odd sound I'll have to put up with it :/

jonathan posted:

Thats how I run mine. I leave the TV speakers off, and the tv just acts as a monitor. Your receiver might do passthrough so you can use tv sound still. My receiver has to be on to do this. your's might not.

On my receiver, there's a setting for whether you have audio through the speakers connected to the receiver, or through the TV set's speakers, or both at the same time. It needs to be switched on as sources are hooked to the receiver, which is hooked to the TV. Receiver off, no image/sound on the TV :(

jet_dee
May 20, 2007

jonathan posted:

I meant just mount the wall plate where you can, and just use a longer wire from the wall plate to the speaker. Unless you don't want visible wires.

Ah I see. I'd be fine with giant floorstanding speakers (mmm, B&W 800 Series...) but unfortunately this is my mum's house, and her home cinema, so what she wants, she gets. No visible wires...

jet_dee
May 20, 2007

Alfajor posted:

I just got that receiver too, and I'm loving it! I'm using it with my cable box, xBox 360, DVD player and even to play music from my main PC.

On that note, I do have a question from a first-time home-audio owner.

How the hell do I know what "audio mode" I want to use? I've been docking around with them, but I'm most of the time leaving it on the one that sounds the fanciest :3: , like "dolby pro logic II"... and something tells me that this is not the best approach.

My Yamaha receiver comes with a large number of DSP (Digital Sound Processing) modes, such as "Spectacle" and "Munich Music Hall" :wtf:
I then discovered that I could turn the DSP off and have my receiver output, unprocessed, the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks that are included on my Blu-rays.
To me it's just a gimmick, but other people might find they improve the listening experience. Have a flick through each of them to learn what they do. Different modes work better for different types of programs, such as sitcoms, films, news, etc.