Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So currently I have a logitech g51 speaker setup to my computer with a xtrememusic card.

I've got a cheapo Technics that was given to me, and probably will get a ASUS Xonar card with optical out. The Technics (I can reply or edit this post later with the specific model when I get home) can take in optical, which is what I pretty much want (I have no hdmi devices other than my ps3, which is connected to my LCD monitor anyways)

However I'm pretty much on a budget. What are the best 5.1 speakers I can get for $100-150 that sound reasonably close to my HD555 headphones?

I play videogames on pc/wii/360/ps3, and listen to movies with AC3 or DTS 5.1 (or blurays) or listen to music through foobar at LAME V0 using ASIO (I hate WASAPI because it takes focus from my audio device and forces me to close foobar if I want to pause and then listen to something on firefox or watch a movie or something.

edit: my Technics is a SA-DX930 so like a $400 something model

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There's not really a huge difference unless you compare 128 mp3s and flacs on good stuff anyways. MP3 in V0 is pretty much all you need unless you like having 1:1 backups or something wasteful.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the cheapest non-lovely subwoofer I can get, and how do I connect it to my reciever?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

qirex posted:

That depends a lot on your definitions of "non-lovely" and "cheap" and on how big the room is. A lot of the internet direct boutique brands like Hsu or Elemental Designs have stuff under $400 that sounds pretty good.

There should be an "LFE Out" jack on your receiver, connect an RCA cable to it.

Yeah I have one RCA jack that says Subwoofer.

Hrm well the room is.... maybe 12'x10'x12'

I suppose, if it works and doesn't blow up. I don't need the floor to shake or anything like that.

And cheap being like under $200 or around $100> ideally

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What are good bookshelf wall mounts?

I need two for speakers with a size around... 7"x7"x10" and prolly 7lbs.

and one for a center speaker that's 4"x4"x4" and prolly 3lbs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I got my HD555s pluged into the headphone jack of my receiver, but it's got this buzzing feedback that's a little annoying when the sound is quiet, what's up with that?

Edit: manual says something about reducing treble, that did it.

Also where can I buy a replacement remote for an SA-DX930? Everywhere I've looked is out of stock.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 18, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Don't remember if I've posted here before, but

So I have a Technics SA-DX930 5.1 reciever, and I already have two bigold Jensen speakers. I have some homemade sat speakers and no sub, but I'll probably buy whatever for those.

I'm looking to upgrade my reciever, and I don't want to break the bank. I have tons of 14awg? cable already for my speakers and it sounds great, but I'd like passthrough of some HDMI devices, as well as being able to pass toslink from my motherboard (or soundcard in the future) to the reciever (my current setup)

What should I get?

Also is there a way I can place these speakers without having to rip open the walls? I have an apartment and cables with rear speakers is potentially a pain in the rear end.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If my 5.1 Onkyo receiver suddenly is giving "sparkles" on my HDMI pass through, no matter which channel I'm doing, but doesn't do it if I bypass the 5.1 receiver, would you assume then the Onkyo is having problems?

What could be done to fix it, if any?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I recently got a cheap soundbar for my 4k tv, I don't really need 5.1 audio, just better audio than my cheap 4k tv can do.

However, it seems it goes into sleep mode if no audio is heard after about 15 minutes, which is just flat out unacceptable. Is this common with soundbars? Is there a cheap soundbar that doesn't have this functionality?

I googled and tried doing power/volume down but it did squat. Instructions say nothing about this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This is optical out, no HDMI

Would be nice if it had some HDMI ports but good home audio is expensive enough as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

That sounds annoying.

Yeah, I was reading it has something to do about european power standards but that's stupid, if I want to leave my soundbar on for 6 hours while I'm passed out on the couch, it should be able to do that :lol: