Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm narrowing down my options for my first HT receiver. I've been a stereophile up to this point but I don't really plan on cross-pollinating my interests.
Stereo will still get it's own room. There will be no TV. Just piles very nice amps/preamps, turntables, and speakers that get swapped out according to my mood.

Anywho I'm considering a few things at the moment and I'm hoping y'all can help me compare:
My budget for a receiver is around $1000ish USD (flexible).

I'm considering:
The Denon AVR-X1300W. I'd be willing to step it up to an AVR-X3300W depending on what speakers I get and how efficient they are.
I really like the fact that there's an android app remote AND that it can integrate with my smart TV remote by allowing the TV to control the receiver via HDMI-CEC (I have a new Samsung KU6300).
Another "must have" box that this ticks off is that it supports HDCP 2.2 and Dolby Atmos, which I eventually plan on utilizing.

The Emotiva A-700 + ???Preamp
The build quality is there and it looks mostly simple and serviceable. Besides I'm a sucker for Torodial transformers... I hate fans, but I might do some modding in the future.
There's no app, no bullshit. But, I can probably control the volume from the TV using my ARC channel (I hope?)
Also, in my stereo experience, separate components (amp+preamp+dac) generally yield the best results so I'm leaning this direction.
I don't know what preamp/processor I'd use though. The XMC-1 is a bit out of my price range since I still need to get some tower speakers and a center channel. If you have and suggestions I'd love to hear 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm narrowing down my options for my first HT receiver. I've been a stereophile up to this point but I don't really plan on cross-pollinating my interests.
Stereo will still get it's own room. There will be no TV. Just piles very nice amps/preamps, turntables, and speakers that get swapped out according to my mood.

Anywho I'm considering a few things at the moment and I'm hoping y'all can help me compare:
My budget for a receiver is around $1000ish USD (flexible).

I'm considering:
The Denon AVR-X1300W. I'd be willing to step it up to an AVR-X3300W depending on what speakers I get and how efficient they are.
I really like the fact that there's an android app remote AND that it can integrate with my smart TV remote by allowing the TV to control the receiver via HDMI-CEC (I have a new Samsung KU6300).
Another "must have" box that this ticks off is that it supports HDCP 2.2 and Dolby Atmos, which I eventually plan on utilizing.

The Emotiva A-700 + ???Preamp
The build quality is there and it looks mostly simple and serviceable. Besides I'm a sucker for Torodial transformers... I hate fans, but I might do some modding in the future.
There's no app, no bullshit. But, I can probably control the volume from the TV using my ARC channel (I hope?)
Also, in my stereo experience, separate components (amp+preamp+dac) generally yield the best results so I'm leaning this direction.
I don't know what preamp/processor I'd use though. The XMC-1 is a bit out of my price range since I still need to get some tower speakers and a center channel. If you have and suggestions I'd love to hear 'em.

Now with more shopping!

I'm still considering an A-700 amp and MC-700 preamp/processor
But honestly it looks like I can achieve that or better results with a cheaper Denon or Marantz all in one receiver. Both of these companies have a sub-$1000 receiver with more watts and more features. I don't care about wi-fi but having bluetooth without requiring a separate dongle is nice (since I could get a chromecast anyway...) D+M have Android apps which is a huge plus, as well as Denon's ability to allow the TV to control the receiver via HDMI-CEC.
Fewer remotes is a huge plus for me and part of the reason the wife is letting me get a new receiver.

However, I can't really tell the difference between Denon and Marantz current offerings.
Marantz seems to have the lo-profile receiver advantage, but I'm willing to overlook that for a performance or experience advantage.
I don't need multi zone, or remote triggers. I only need 4 HDMI inputs.
What I need is the best fidelity and most WPC I can get.
I'd really like Dolby Atmos support but I don't even have a bluray player yet, I stream most of my video directly to the TV at the moment and the ARC channel doesn't support full Atmos. HDMI 2.1/eARC will support it but that's probably not going to happen for at least a year. I can fix that easily with an Nvidia shield, and the wifey won't care about not having Atmos in order to not deal with switching inputs to another device.

tl;dr
$1000ish budget
Want most WPC/fidelity + fewer remotes (preferably by ARC through TV but Apps are cool too)
Want Atmos.
Need 4k passthrough HDCP 2.2
Like bluetooth, but whatever... honestly idgaf.
Like separates, but again... whatever.

Suggestions?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LmaoTheKid posted:

CEC sucks. Just get a harmony.

This is unfortunate because the wife really wants to be able to use the remote that came with our Samsung TV.
I'm not opposed to getting myself a Harmony remote though. any recommendations on which one?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Scrapez posted:

Harmony Hub with companion remote (the one without a touchscreen)

I have the Ultimate and the touchscreen is annoying. Accidentally push buttons often and the layout is not great.

The hub works amazingly and you can use a smart phone or tablet as the remote which is nice too.

Thank you. This exactly answers the question I meant to ask, but didn't.
As for HT setup I'm seriously reconsidering going full Atmos (or even 5.1.4). This isn't my forever home, the room setup is open concept and flows into a kitchen where there are a lot of hard surfaces. There's no good way for me to do any sort of sound management/soundproofing/absorption because the wifey would lose her loving poo poo. The only space I have to set up an actual theater is also weird and frankly just not worth it.

I still want a nice receiver to implement 3.1 and maybe eventually 5.1. The speakers will be top notch the receiver will most likely be replaced in a couple or three-ish-or-so years when we move and I can build a proper mancave for recording/casting/entertainment.
It turns out all I really need CEC for is volume and input control. Wife doesn't care about anything else.

Given this, my tastes in receivers haven't changed much, nor has my budget. I'd still like to come in under $4000 (the less the better) all in: 3.1 speakers + receiver. Audio fidelity is my primary objective. So this should be easily doable with some headroom for an Nvidia shield and BluRay player, with maybe some left over for other toys.
I'm still considering Denon, Marantz, or Emotiva separates.
Do you all have any suggestions about what brands to look at besides these? Or have I sufficiently narrowed it down already?
Edit: I'm also very open to speaker suggestions if you've got some.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 27, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fog Tripper posted:

I need to start installing stuff. I am an admin at a high end installer, and at times clients dump their "old" stuff on us when doing upgrades. I lost track of things piling up in my garage (waiting for me to finish my basement, which I am wiring a bit for AV). Today one of our guys ask me if I want an amp... or 6. :psyduck:
I don't know a ton about this stuff but I told him that sure, I'll take one. Then I ended up taking two. Now I am thinking of dumpster diving for the 4 others he chucked.

Sonance Sonamp 1250MKII.

Heavy as hell and I have no idea what I am going to do with 2 amps with 12 50W/channels each, much less 4 more.

Eh, well they're not worthless. Maybe a local department store could use one for their PA or music system?
Snag all of them and put them up on craigslist. They look to be fetching some money on ebay.

At the very least they've got great quality parts and decent cases that could be used for a DIY amp.

Edit: it looks like there's bridgeable channels and that you can turn a 12 - 50w channel amp into a 6 - 100w channel amp.
so there's that.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 27, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Holy gently caress I have been looking into HDMI-CEC / Anynet+ for hours now and ALL OF IT IS loving RETARDED AND USELESS.

However, I'm an idiot and forgot about this handy dandy little feature
I'm going to disk around with it tonight and see if it'll work with my Rotel (doubtful).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

:lol: Yeah you were right. IT's alright though. I got my Samsung Smart TV remote to work with the Rotel.
I couldn't just add the Rotel... The volume wouldn't work until I also joined it with the Verizon box in the TV's SmartHub menu or whatever it's called.

Considering this, in addition to the fact that this townhouse just does not have a layout that's not worth even attempting to cram surround sound into, I'm gonna pass on a home theater until I move.
I'll probably spend that money on some Ascend Raal tweeter Sierra towers for the living room and filling my garage walls with open cell foam. :thumbsup:

jonathan posted:

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/alexandria-xlf

LoL 650lbs each and bass extension down to 19hz (-3db). Apparently that's his only expensive thing he owns.

Jesus those fuckers are huge.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Are there any signs that android auto compatible stereos are going to get cheaper? It seems ridiculous that I have to buy a $500 DVD player to get a stereo that will display google maps and spotify.

Are you talking about car stereos?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 28, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I am trying to find a good desktop-sized integrated amp under $400 with a 24-bit DAC and holy poo poo what a clusterfuck! This should be a way easier decision than it is.

The model most review sites recommend, the NAD D 3020, is reported on Amazon to be weak, issue-plagued, and that it usually dies after a year. And NAD's warranty seems to not really exist.

The PS Audio Sprout looks good but it's more expensive and a newer company - and only 32w for my $500?

The popular Audioengine model is a little too dinky. The Pro-Ject Audio Box seems good but it is from a sketchy Chinese company and the reviews are not great.

I am also unsure just generally about whether an amp in the 30wpc range will be powerful enough to drive my setup - two Paradigm Studio 10 v.5's, with 8ohm / 89db sensitivity.

What is 'desktop sized' exactly?

As for wattage:
How loud do you plan on cranking up the volume / how loud do you play your music?
How big is your room? How close do you sit to the speakers?
This explains a lot about determining what you need
Most of my normal listening is done at 1 watt so I don't need 30 of them.

Specifying a 24-bit DAC puts you firmly into $audiophile$ territory and finding that integrated into an amplifier is probably causing most of your woes. Why can't you just get a separate DAC? Is this going to connect to your computer? The DAC on your desktop is probably more than sufficient.

Something like the TEAC 301 might be what you're looking for?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Full Circle posted:

It occurs to me that the Emotiva TA-100 seems to tick all your boxes:
http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/pres-and-pros/ta-100

Not sure if that's considered 'desktop sized' or not though. It's full rack width at ~17" (19" maybe?) it looks like.

The Emotiva Mini X A-100 might be more up his alley but he'd have to get a separate DAC and still it's a bit large when compared to something like the PS Audio Sprout.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah, people are complaining that the D 3020 gets too hot and that could be why it dies so quickly, that's what happens when you try to stuff a 3020's equipment into that small of a box I guess?

So... let's see where we are at so far:
A proper Integrated Amp is too big.
NAD - dies apparently
PS Audio Sprout - Not enough watts and $100 too much money
Audioengine - too dinky
The Pro-Ject Audio Box - sketchy
TEAC - worse than NAD
Too large/cheap/weak: Lepai 2024, SMSL SA36, SMSL Mini5, SMSL SA50, SMSL A2, Griffin Twenty, SMSL SA98, Yamaha RS201, SMSL Q5 pro, Behringer A500, TEAC AI-101DA, Onkyo A-9010

IDK dude. You're either being too picky or just asking too much. There's only so much amp you can cram in to something with the footprint of a post card.
Anything else I can think of with a small footprint is either going to be over $500 or not have a DAC.

Dayton APA150 or Dayton DTA-120 - no DAC

The Denon PMA 50 is going to be exactly what you're looking for, but might still not pack the punch your speakers require for cranking up the volume.
Bottom line is your speakers are tough to drive.

The TEAC AX-501-B would fit the bill but it's $900.

Edit: oh yeah I forgot about the Parasound ZAMP. It's a great little amp, no DAC, and they're not new so there's that.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 1, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm halfway set up with Atmos and I need some kind of recommendation. I bought some SVS elevation prime speakers as front heights. While the sound image has expanded, it isn't really hitting above my head since they are front heights. So I need to get some narrow fire ceiling speakers that I plan on firing directly down on the listening position. I hear ceiling speakers fill the attic with sound and that sound can loudly be heard in other rooms, which nobody really wants. So is there a backing that I can use or could I build recess boxing into the ceiling and use bookshelfs or what really are my options? Originally I tried mounting the primes on the ceiling but it just looked bad.

Backer boxes are cool and good.

You shouldn't focus so much on getting "narrow fire" speakers though. That's not how Atmos works. You actually want something with a wide dispersion.

AcousticFrontiers posted:

ANY room, even those with quite high ceilings, that uses ceiling Atmos speakers firing straight down requires that those speakers have very wide coverage.
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/dolby-atmos-dispersion-requirements-for-ceiling-speakers/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Does it sound like a jet landing when that fan comes on?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It's really big and in retrospect probably doesn't have any mounting holes in the back at all

:eyepop:

Maybe it'd be far enough away from the wall that it'd be fine on a wall mount lol

That center speaker needs to move forward to the front edge of the console and the towers should be in line with it.
That console's surface is acting as a first reflection point and probably ruining your sound, particularly vocal clarity.
I don't know what those towers are but if they're rear ported they need to be out away from the wall as well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wibla posted:

What about DYNAMIC RANGE?! :spergin:

HEADROOM!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Not sure if this is precisely the right place but :tviv: the Acurus DIA 100 is the best goddamn integrated I have ever heard for under $1000 (used).
It's easily on par with a Krell 300i.

It's only 100w (at 8ohms) but even when pushed to it's limit it delivers every ounce of power effortlessly. I tried it with several different speakers and cable combinations and even with some stupid short 10AWG speaker wires there was no high freq rolloff. I first tested it with some 22AWG twisted solid core phone cable and it was a bit warmer but still very acceptable at reasonable listening volume.
It can even manage to push my vandersteen 2ce signatures with no trouble.
Transparent is probably the best single word I can use to describe the amp. I set the crossovers to 0 and kept it there and seriously enjoyed it.

If you all want I can really put it through it's paces with my SL-1200 MKII, Reel-to-Reel, Rotel CD player (or Playstation) and phone and report back, but my initial impressions are surprisingly loving good for what I initially assumed was going to be a cheap amp for my garage stereo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I would put my $40 Yamaha RX-495RDS up against it, any day of the week.

And certainly with better speakers than Vandersteens, they're not exactly well designed.

Yes, I am a killjoy. Enjoy your amp, it looks very purposeful and no-nonsense :)

I will say the Vandersteens laziness is very apparent when hooked up to this amp. Death metal need not apply.
However, Tony Sly's 12 Song Program really hits the spot.

Do you have any recommendations for towers?
I've been eyeing a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (with the RAAL ribbon tweeter) for a while, but I don't really want to buy them blindly, and I'm curious what else I should be looking at.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

See, that's sort of my issue with speakers like the Vandersteens. I want to listen to all kinds of music, not just "lazy" audiophile-type music, slow jazz and stuff.

I have to admit that I am heavily biased towards active monitors. I know some monitor manufacturers also make consumer speakers, among them Adam, ATC and Dynaudio.

Personally, I've never been disappointed by Dali. I have a sort of lukewarm impression of Audiovector. Jamo is OK for the price. JBL can be either great or lovely, it's really hit-or-miss with them. Just off the top of my head, those are the brands I've owned myself for significant periods of time.

Personally, I would prefer something with an AMT/X-ART tweeter, although I have speakers with dome speakers too, and I like them as well.

Rule #1 with speakers: Listen before you buy.

Oh man, I kind of want to let you borrow my B&O Beovox s80.2 They're really weird. Sweet spot; they're fun. Slightly out of the sweet spot; irksome. Across the room; fun again. Initially you think they're scooped, but then you realize there's just huge random peaks and valleys in their response across the spectrum. The dome mids are the greatest thing about them.

As for audiophile music, that's kinda the only thing I intended on using the Vandersteens for when I bought them. That and (no joke) podcast listening. They're REALLY good at voices. I'd never spend the money on a new pair, but I snagged a pair of 2ci for $400 and later my 2ce signature for $500. For that kind of money they're totally worth it.

Wibla posted:

Anyone got opinions on/experiences with dual concentric speakers?
Coaxial? They're great for in ceiling speakers.

KillHour posted:

Go to a best buy with a magnolia in it. Also look at aperion - they do the in home demo thing.
I'm considering the SVS line of speakers just because they do the 45-day in home trial w/ free shipping.
I didn't know Aperion did the same. I'll check them out too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Panty Saluter posted:

nearfield monitors.

speaking of...
Check out my current TV watching situation: (sorry, AWS is hosed at the moment so I'm just linking directly to the images on google photos)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/d...Q=w766-h1021-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/f...=w1362-h1021-no

:allears: it sounds terrible

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm more concerned with the Stone Age Motorola cable box :stonk:

Verizon. and yeah me too. Don't get me started. Despite my many suggestions, the wife hasn't returned or exchanged it, and we're still paying to rent it every month. Just as much as a new one. :rolleyes:

I don't watch cable so IDGAF

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Somebody stop me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Panty Saluter posted:

thats a good start but now is no time to quit

I didn't say quit. I said stop.
Not pictured; a dozen-ish turntables (the 2 technics sl-1200 are the only working ones), 2 Rotel RX-1052 and RCC1055, a pair of Technics SB-X10, a pair of DBX soundfield V, and a a pair of Vandersteen 2ci with the lead bases.
The reason I need to stop is that I might be moving soon. I couldn't resist picking up that Acurus DIA-100 and those Beovox MC120.2 though. I'm already giving away the Vandersteen 2ci, SB-x10, and some other junk.
I'm about to post those DBX up on craigslist for free.

I'll be back for advice on new towers after I get a house. If I'm lucky I'll get to put in a full-on theater.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dogen posted:

My cats don't care about my stereo. Am I doing it wrong?

If you can't hit the brown note, then yes apparently.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Already posted in the audiofool thread, but after spending some time listening, I think it really belongs here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRexXMXlw-j/
I paid <$450 after tax and shipping from amazon for this little Teac AX-501.

Honestly, I'm surprised how well this little Class D amp performs. Considering the price, it is a very sensible buy in my opinion. I can't wait for my UD-501 to come in so I can hook it up to the balanced inputs.
If anyone is looking for a small footprint amp for their desktop or needs something smaller because lack of room space, this amp is certainly a viable option to be considered.
Besides, servo controlled volume knobs are rad as hell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey I want to set up speakers for my back yard. I have roughly a 100x100 ft area that I want to cover in this to have some background music while swimming, barbecuing, and such.

We are thinking of using this receiver from inside our garage:
Yamaha R-S202BL

And these speakers on opposite corners of our house, putting the speakers roughly 80ft apart:
Polk Audio Atrium 6

We are concerned this won't be enough and we need to more sound. Also, we are concerned that Bluetooth won't reach through the wall into the garage from the farther extents of that region. Should we stick with this or do something else?

For backyard listening I've always been a fan of JBL jrx-series and crown power amps.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KS posted:

Hah, a 70V system. That would be weird for home use. They're great for background music (think grocery stores) because you can wire speakers in series all day using thin cables at long lengths and there are no impedance limitations. I've never heard one sound very good. I think the transformers suck for sound quality.

That system could be used as a standard amp (I think the 25AVs are 6 ohm when set to bypass) but then why pay for all of the transformers?

Yeah constant voltage systems are good for paging a cleanup to aisle 2, and not much else imo.
Then again, trying to throw a bunch of sound out across a whole backyard isn't really audiophile territory anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Carver amps

Carver makes (made?) some really good poo poo. I had a Carver bass amp and a couple power amps and they were heavy as gently caress but they could pump out some serious sound.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Waltzing Along posted:

Hoping for some input.

I am going to be buying a cd player and a couple bookshelf speakers.

I am leaning towards the Onkyo C-7030 for CD. I'd like a multi-disk unit but it seems that this one is a lot better than what you'd get for the price. Or something like that.

E:

As for speakers, I ended up going with Kef Q100.

Thanks.

Do you have a budget and do you already have an amp or receiver to power the speakers or do you need the DC player to have that built in?

Kef Q100's are excellent speakers. I hope you got them on sale. They're currently $300 on Amazon.

FWIW I'm going to buy this:
http://audio.teac.com/product/pd-501hr/
To go with my UD-501 and AX-501 so I have a nice little micro component stack for my desktop/office.

But if you want something more affordable, TEAC also sells this
They also have an all in one cd player/receiver http://audio.teac.com/product/cr-h101/
A 5 disc carousel http://audio.teac.com/product/pd-d2610mkii/
And a single full size CD player http://audio.teac.com/product/cd-p1260/

Currently I'm using my Rotel RCD-1072 with my RX-1052 and it's alright. It sounds about the same as my RCC-1055.

Comedy option: you could get yourself an original Playstation

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

If I was going to build a 2 channel system I'd probably look at the NAD C338 or Cambridge Audio SR20. Those TEAC things are in my opinion severely overpriced. Speaking of which if I was really going to push the boat out I'd get a Naim Uniti Star but that's only if I got a giant surprise bonus at work or something.

Those are really great suggestions actually.
How do you feel about the Acurus Aries or Creek Evolution 50A
I was tossing around the idea of getting one or the other. They can both be found on eBay for <$1000

The Classe CAP-151 is also a solid buy for $600~$700ish if you can manage to find one

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 25, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BigFactory posted:

I wonder if NAD realizes that putting an all black unit on an all black background isn't the best way to market their product. I had to tilt my monitor just to see the thing.

Maybe that's the point?
"Little amps are not meant to be seen or heard."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

codo27 posted:

I'm really trying to make sense of the numbers re: receivers and speakers, I read the OP and a receiver buying guide but still a little lost. Just snagged a pair of Klipsch RF-62s second hand which are rated for 125w/500w peak @ 8ohms but my receiver only puts out 60w @ 8ohms. I want something that will power these and similar grade speakers once I upgrade from the little nothings that came with the receiver. Idgaf about anything beyond 5.1 or atmos, but I'm a little intrigued by multi zone and bluetooth would be necessary. What is the receiver for me?

Those Klipsch are pretty efficient. Unless you're sitting particularly far from them, I doubt you'll be listening at much more than 1 watt anyway.
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/truth-about-matching-amplifier-power

audioholics posted:

If you own speakers and you have ever…

1) done a smoky burnout in a McDonald’s parking lot;

2) leaped into a backyard pool from a nearby garage roof;

3) stood directly in front of the P.A. stacks at a Weezer concert; or

4) yelled to friends, “Hey, y’all, hold my beer and watch this!”

…you should probably read this article. You’re the guy most likely to blow up your speakers, and it’s totally your fault.

Unless you're buying used, finding a receiver with multi zone is going to make it more expensive.
Keep an eye on http://www.accessories4less.com/ and see what tickles your fancy.

If you were going to buy something today, I'd recommend:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3100w/denon-avr-x3100w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

It's a great compromise between price / quality / features. It'll give you the multi-zone outputs you want (both pre-outs and powered) and still have enough channels left over to do a surround setup should you want it.

Edit:

Scrapez posted:

If you don't need atmos and want zone 2 flexibility, I'd recommend this Integra. It has both powered zone 2 and variable zone 2 preouts if you want to use an external amplifier on zone 2.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr303/integra-dtr-30.3-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

It does not have Bluetooth built in but for streaming audio, I'd recommend a Chromecast Audio. $35 and gives you better sound and flexibility than Bluetooth.

^^what he said.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Agrikk posted:

I've been thinking about redoing the audio setup in my house and I need help wrapping my head around setups and configurations and what technology exists these days...

Right now I have a cabinet set up in our front sitting room that contains a receiver, a DVD player and a laptop that is connected to our home Wifi with drives mapped to my file server to play my collection of flacs. There are two pairs of speakers connected to the receiver: one pair in the sitting room on the A channel and one pair run to the kitchen on the B channel in a single zone.

Also in the kitchen is an Amazon Echo that has recently been introduced that the wife and kids LOVE. I think it is handy, but sonically it sounds like headphones in a shoebox.

Off of the kitchen is our living room and is configured more like a great room because there are no barriers between the living room and the kitchen but a simple counter. We have our TV in there with a home theater PC, and DVD player and the cable box attached via HDMI, and a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 setup that just died a few days ago (connected via optical cable to the TV).

To keep things simple I think I might just replace the dead Z-5500 with some kind of sound bar and be done with the home theater piece, but my problem is the stereo setup. Right now, in order to play my music on the stereo or to stream Pandora, the wife or I have to turn on the stereo and the laptop, wait for it to boot, then click on Pandora or iTunes/foobar to play music. Or they can say "Alexa, play X" and X play instantly over the crappy Echo speaker (don't get me started on the Echo Dot we have in our bedroom.)

What I would love is to have a way to integrate the Echo into my setup so that Alexa (in the kitchen) can turn on the stereo (in the sitting room) and play music through the speakers wired into the sitting room and kitchen. I would also like a way to quickly access my music on my file server and stream Pandora through the receiver itself without a laptop.

Is this even possible?

(The reason why I mentioned the TV and Z-5500 is in case there is some way to integrate them into my audio solution as well. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for here, but I include it for completeness.)

You're overthinking it.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

codo27 posted:

Why do receivers still all have basic digital front displays? Like I mean I don't need anything like that old Kenwood car deck I had with a little graphic of a car that turned when I turned, but I'd like to see a fancier appearance beyond the old digital clock look

They don't. You're just too poor, plebe.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That Cyrus one looks like a cheap car stereo from the 90s

The first time I saw one I legit thought it was a CB radio.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

Once you get CEC working it's magic and you'll never want to go back to switching inputs manually like some kind of caveman.

It's a trap! CEC never actually works properly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I can use my Samsung smart TV remote to control the volume on my rotel receiver. But only if the input is set to my verizon receiver OR has just been switched from my verizon receiver. So If I was just playing videogames and want to watch netflix, I have to switch to the Verizon box before switching to the TV netflix app.

It doesn't work at all on one particular input no matter what is plugged in there. :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

All cable/satellite boxes are garbage and always will be. Even Tivo doesn't support CEC with their new 4k boxes.

Yeah but it has nothing to do with the cable box itself, other than nothing works unless I switch to the cable box first then to the input I want.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Scrapez posted:

You can run signal over cat6 but you need cat6 to HDMI baluns on each end of the run. It is used for long runs as HDMI is only good for maybe 50 feet at 4k resolution.

Even then you better have some drat good cables (High speed/Cat2). Most will only go like 18~25 feet.
Edit: depending on your hz and bitdepth of course.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#44

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 13, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Welp, the battery in it is dead and replacements are $200.

You sure? What's the model number on the battery? You can just take them out of the cart and replace the batteries, not the whole carriage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

My understanding is that UPSes don't run off the battery unless they need to. That said they will work just as well as a power conditioner because power conditioners don't really do anything of value.

For the most part this is right. But there are different types of UPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Is $139.99 a good deal for this sub?

Probably? But I couldn't tell you for certain. I never really hosed around with lovely subwoofers.

One thing you will never regret is spending the money on a proper sub like an SVS