Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have an older Bose home system. I’d like to get a new AV receiver with things like HDMI Connections, usb, Bluetooth etc. I know very little about AV.

The speaker connections to the Bose however look like they’re proprietary DIN connectors. Can I cut the DIN connectors off and use the Bose speakers and wire with another receiver?

I’d like to drive the 5.1 speakers already in the living room and two outdoor speakers. The speaker connectors are the multi-conductor wires seen toward the left in the picture below.

Here’s the back of the bose unit:

https://imgur.com/gallery/TgWXAPk

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

skipdogg posted:

That’s not going to happen with that Bose unit. Generally the speakers are custom low impedance designed to work with that system. You could use the optical input, but I’m wondering just how old that thing is. You have a model number?

Long story short if you want to keep using those speakers your gonna have to keep that unit and work around it.

Model is AM267606-001-02
Bose AV 18 I think. I’m fine getting rid of it, I was just hoping to save the speakers since they’re already wired and mounted.

Oh, there’s a pair of outdoor (Bose environmental 251) speakers too that were driven by the same bose unit.

If I have to scrap it and start over, can you recommend a something?

E: I tried the optical input but the remote doesn’t work to assign the optical input something something. I looked into getting g a new remote but it’s old so I figured I’d just replace the whole thing

E E: ok so looks like the consensus is to start over. Can I get some recommendations?

I have a TV that i plug a fire stick into. I'd also like to drive two external speakers on the patio. (They're currently the Bose, but I guess I can replace them).

How is this system?

Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System Bundle with Pioneer VSX-LX303 9.2-Channel 4k Ultra HD Network A/V Receiver

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 1, 2020

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I replaced my entire bose system at the recommendation of this thread.

I bought a Sony TV, a Sony STR-DN1080 and a Klipsch 5.1 set off amazon. We’re watching sources off apps on the tv itself such as Hulu and Netflix.

It seems to work fine most of the time. But twice in the last 24 hours the sound has just cut off. I can’t even turn the tv to play sound out of the tv speakers. Video freezes and nothing.

I got it working but I don’t even know how. I just hosed around with poo poo. Just now sound wasn’t working with Hulu, but tried Netflix and I got sound. I looked through the Sony help stuff and followed it.

Any recommendations?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

My old (bought Jan, 2012 right before new models came out iirc) Sony TV would do the same thing with HDMI ARC. If you switched between using an in-tv app or another hdmi source it would eventually just say gently caress it to audio. Long power cycle fixed it until the next time you did it. (As in, turn off, wait until you hear the "click" of the TV really turning off not just the display, then turn it back on.)

That works thanks!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I just set up the system I got song receiver and klipsh reference 5.1 speakers.

I like it so far. Wife is complaining.

Specifically, we’re watching Schitt’s Creek and have the volume set at a reasonable level. Then the credits come on and the TUBA COMES IN BOOM BOOM BOOM

Is there a leveler somewhere? Or is there some other feature to look for?

The receiver is a Sony STR-DN1080