Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd just like to say that I'm pretty happy with my Definitive Tech Promonitor 1000s and ProCenter 2000. For small speakers they put out balanced sound. They're also available all over the place including at Best Buy.

I know $200+ per speaker isn't exactly entry level but I think they represent a sweet spot between "micro" speakers [orb audio, mirage nanosat] and traditional boxes. I haven't heard the ProMonitor 800 system but it gets very good reviews as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TheChimney posted:

How important is it to match a sub to the rest of your speaker system? I am lucky enough to be inheriting a pair of Polk LS50s and surrounds (I can't remember the model number on these), and I am thinking about adding a sub to help out the low end.

Most subs are highly configurable and have controls for setting the frequency cutoff and phase. The only speakers that you really need to match are your fronts and center channel.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MMania posted:

Is there a way to balance out the speakers without buying a sound meter or hiring professionals?
There are some decent smartphone apps, your phone's microphone probably isn't good enough for doing EQ but for settling levels it should be fine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chin Strap posted:

What exactly does a 300 dollar sub get you over something cheaper? I don't quite understand differences in all them. Like what would I miss from getting something in the under 200 category?
Usually higher quality parts, more powerful or efficent amps, better design/more even sound, better adjustability, better reliability, better customer service.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'm not sure what the consensus here is, but I would personally suggest getting the centre speaker at the same time as the L&R. It makes movie dialog a lot more discernible to me.

Yeah but if you don't have the money you don't have the money and you don't want to cheap out on the center. Just having the new L&R will sound better than anything cheap and receivers are designed to play well with any number of speakers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dolby Digital receivers are required to downmix everything to an arbitrary number of speakers as long as the receiver knows it's got left and right it shouldn't gently caress up anything you feed it. If you put on a surround track and it's trying to send audio to speakers that aren't there then you didn't set the thing up correctly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the cheapest non-lovely subwoofer I can get, and how do I connect it to my reciever?

That depends a lot on your definitions of "non-lovely" and "cheap" and on how big the room is. A lot of the internet direct boutique brands like Hsu or Elemental Designs have stuff under $400 that sounds pretty good.

There should be an "LFE Out" jack on your receiver, connect an RCA cable to it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eightysixed posted:

Can someone please tell me why the Polk Audio CS1 Series II Center Channel Speaker has an MSRP of $199.99 and the Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker has an MSRP of $299.99? Just 50 extra Watts of Peak Power is worth $100?
The CS2 has bigger and presumably more expensive drivers, the listed frequency response is lower and they're more sensitive. This is normal in audio product lines. Ideally you should get one with the same drivers as your Left/Right speakers so they're tone-matched.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The closest thing I've seen design-wise would be the Definitive Tech Mythos series.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Something like this might work well, it has a sub out and a remote. Alternately if your TV has working variable line-out you could use pretty much any powered speakers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd also like to remind you that you really should get to a hi-fi shop and listen to what they have to offer. There are audible differences in the setups and finding out too late that you don't like your brand new $1500 home theater sucks.

This is a very good point. I, for example, don't like Klipsch horn tweeters at all. At least try to get a sense for what kind of sound you like.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weaaddar posted:

Does anyone know if Sony or someone else makes a system like the HT-IS100 which has the receiver component built into the sub woofer? I don't have a huge amount of space for receiver in my media center, and this seems like a great solution to the problem. I need something that is 3d capable and supports at least 3 hdmi inputs.

Onkyo makes a 2.1 system like that but not surround.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

redreader posted:

Hob_Gadling: I bought the pioneer center and the polk front/rear by mistake. I thought I'd bought all polk. Will it make a terrible difference or can I just mix and match like that?
Conventional wisdom is that it's pretty important that your front 3 speakers "match"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Since we're talking about cables, does anyone know of a good way to join speaker wire? I want to run one 4-conductor cable to behind my couch then split it to normal 2-conductor that goes to my speakers and I'd like to do something a little better quality than electrical tape.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Also keep in mind that adding more speakers might make it sound worse. If you have that "B" channel try playing some music through two sets of L and R at the same time and see if you actually like it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Laserface posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, bought a Marantz NR1402 that was a good deal from a reputable retailer. now to just get some speakers. :)

still thinking I want audioengine P4s for the front, but not sure on a good center to match them, or rears for that matter.

I was thinking of grabbing cambridge audio satellites for the rears (available to buy individually from the retailer I bought the amp at) and picking up a cheapish center used.

It's actually pretty important to match your front and center speakers, do you have any particular reason for liking the P4 so much? There's literally hundreds of speakers in that general price vicinity. It's kind of weird they don't sell them as singles or in a 3-pack.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 22, 2013

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DizzyBum posted:

Is it easy enough to upgrade from 2.1 to 3.1? Just get a good center speaker and plug it in?
It's actually pretty important that you get "voice matched" center channel, your front 3 speakers should sound as similar as possible. That said speaker companies don't turn their lines over that often. It's not critical but you could have to spend a lot of time tweaking some random center channel to try to get it to sound right.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm getting my 6th home audio system but this thread has more traffic than the general audio thread so I'm cross posting. I'm looking for for bookshelf-sized L, R and C speakers around $1200 total, maybe up to $1500. What would you guys do with that budget?

current short list for mains [assume a matching center as well, I just don't want to look up all the model numbers]:

quote:

- B&W 685 or 686
- KEF Q100 or Q300
- Axiom Audio M3
- Monitor Audio Bronze/Silver
- Ascend Sierra 1
- Aperion Intimus 5B or Verus Forte

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Welp, if you were in Portland I would offer you my Intimus 5B's and 4C at a discount I won't have a place for them in the new house.

How did you like them?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went to a shop and listened to the KEF Q300 and the B&W 685 and they're both good but I preferred the Q300 slightly [and they're a little cheaper]. I think I'm going to go back and check out the Q100 vs. Q300 and the center channel and continue looking at internet options.

I'm definitely getting the smaller center channel, the Q600c is gigantic.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GTO posted:

I first trialled some Q Acoustics Concept 20s against Dali Zensor 5:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/q-acoustics-concept-20
http://www.whathifi.com/review/dali-zensor-5

I was really surprised by what I heard - the Dalis were better in every possible way. It really was no contest; the Q Acoustics sounded terrible in comparison. I played a few bassy songs and the Q Acoustics couldn't handle it at all; sounded awful in comparison at the same volume. You might say this is obvious as the Dalis are £150 more expensive, but once you buy the stands for the Q Acoustics they're the same price.

This is one of the reasons I'm looking for something with over a 5" woofer, I've owned good satellites and at this point I can hear what's lacking in them even with a sub. For me it's low listening volume sounding "tinny". I think one of the shops near me carries Dali, I should see if they have the Zensor 3.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Since I'm a total Mac homer I figured I'd look at Airplay speakers but for some reason there's not a one that supports alarms natively. I'm really happy with my Play:1 stereo pair but if those things were $150 sooner I might have looked harder.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What's her budget? You could do a new pre/pro using Yamaha but it would be 6 grand. You should be able to look up the specs of the speakers online but most high-end [say $1-2kish] receivers should have amps good enough for those speakers [any idea of the model number?]. B&Ws are known for being fairly power-needy.

Sony ES, Yamaha Aventage, X-series Denon, Pioneer Elite, Marantz SR or Interga [Onkyo's high-end label] would be good starting points. Also make sure she likes the remote since the Apple TV doesn't support HDMI-CEC so there will be manual input switching.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm pretty sure they don't bother recompressing it since if you're using a phone or tablet as a source it wouldn't want to be doing real-time re-encoding. When I play ALAC on my home system from my computer it sounds fine as well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey if you guys are looking for some good cheapish speakers the new NHT super line is on sale on Amazon
SuperZero [4.5" woofer]: $84.00 each
SuperOne [6.5" woofer]: $134 each
These are sealed so they don't have the deepest bass but they're also super accurate and easy to place. I haven't heard the new 2.1 models yet but I'm looking at the SuperOnes for my own system.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SteveMcQueen posted:

My guess is the answer is yes but would you expect these to be a serious upgrade over the Pioneer speakers everyone recommends? I've just been waiting for a sale on those but would be willing to spend more if it was worth it.

I haven't heard the Pioneers myself so I can't be definitive about that but if you poke around for reviews (most will be for older versions) they're always praised for their insane value for money. Of course the Pioneers are $100 a pair and that's always hard to beat. The SuperZeros are a lot smaller cabinetwise so I'd imagine the individual driver and tweeter are probably a fair bit nicer. As far as the SuperOnes given that they're over twice as expensive I'd expect them to sound noticeably better. I also like that because of the size and lack of port you can just buy 5 of the same speaker for surround sound. If you're not going to get a sub it's important to be aware that the SuperZeros roll off around 90hz.

Somehow clicking around on Amazon I ended up here and thinking about my if-I-won-the-lottery system [these are what THX uses in their own studio]. Well my lottery winner HT system, I'd have a separate one for music...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have 2 Play 1s, I like them a lot but I'd want more range if it was something other than my bedroom system like Play 3s or a connect and powered speakers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

88h88 posted:

I've never liked the centre channel in home theatre setups, It just sounds a little toooooo distinct from the L/R channels (I'm aware that's the point, to project the vocal track in film). The centre is usually several magnitudes smaller leading to the actual speaker itself sounding off in comparison to a pair of floorstanders so I run with a phantom centre.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this. :(
If they're matched [usually same tweeter and mid-bass driver as L/R speakers] and positioned correctly [tweeters on approximately the same plane, L/R 45° off center] this shouldn't be an issue. Video games tend to be pretty ham-fisted about channel separation compared to movies, that's when I notice it the most.

That said if I was on a really limited budget I'd rather buy two good speakers than 3 OK ones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been looking at sealed or front-ported speakers and some that look interesting:
The NHT SuperOne [on sale backordered at $125/ea] or Absolute Zero [$219/ea]
Kef Q100 [$399/pr at ac4l.com]
Definitive ProMonitor 1000 [~$220/ea, I own these, they're not bad]
Overall though you're going to get a bit of boominess with any speakers on a wall but you can dial down the bass to match

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jonathan posted:

The Polk 505, the Klipsch 12" and the high power less than $300 subs are one level, then you have a bunch of $800 sub's which aren't really any better, and then you have the $1300 sub's which are better. Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Epik all make subs in that price range that are very very good.

So it's basically good bang for the buck cheap sub, or expensive.

I'd disagree with this, there's plenty well-made stuff in the $400-700 range from internet direct companies like NHT, Aperion, or the low-end of HSU and SVS.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Focal is a well regarded speaker brand that's made in France so it might not be marked up as much.

e: these are €300 for a pair
http://www.darty.com/nav/achat/hifi_video/enceinte_hi-fi/enceinte_compacte/focal_chorus_705v_wen_x2.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You have a lot of options at that price point, it's where a lot of the high end companies position their "entry level" lines. If you have actual hifi stores around I'd suggest you go talk to them, even though they sell stuff we make fun of here they're also usually happy to do a demo for you. The brands you mentioned are all well-considered, maybe add Dali, NHT, B&W, Focal, Cambridge Audio, Wharfedale or Monitor Audio to your comparison list if you have local dealers that you can listen to.

Most receivers have something like Audessy to do auto-setup but in my experience they still need a little tuning.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Ok, I know literally nothing about home audio....

Can someone point me towards some equipment that would enable me to vibrate my balls hard to some revolting drum and bass / dubstep? I'm going to set this up in a barn on my parent's farm, so the nearest neighbours are gonna be like 1 mile away.

Let's say my budget is about $700.

Sorry if this sounds a bit :downs:

If it's just for one party maybe look at renting a sound system. The bad news about bass is that the amount of ball vibration you'll receive is inversely proportional to the volume in which you'd like balls to vibrate. For a barn $700 is probably not sufficient to buy speakers. Look at PA stuff, you might be able to get a pair of 12 or 15" powered speakers for that much but you'll need subwoofers if you want real bass.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nine16thsdago posted:

now, a follow-up. thanks for impedance chat & banana plug advice.

i didn't find the 12ga wire overly difficult to work with, but i also didn't force the speaker wire insulation through the entire length of the banana plug, either. being advised here that 12ga is over kill, i did the "short" connections (front R&L & center) with it and got some home depot 16ga for the longer runs to the surrounds. i also didn't realize that sub connections are made with RCA cables, so i had to dig a set of those out of the tub-o-wires in the tool shed.
I've always heard you should run the same gauge wire to all your speakers but I don't know if that's just "conventional wisdom" or if there's anything real to it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mindfish posted:

My 20 year old Sony sound system is dying on me, so I'm looking for something better now I finally have a full-time job. But I don't actually have much experience picking a sound system setup.

I will be playing music (mostly rock/metal) and movies from my laptop. I will also be running a turntable on the system. I might actually want a better turntable since the current one is kinda cheap. My budget is upwards 20,000 DKK (~3,000 USD).

Dali is a well regarded Danish speaker company, I'm considering the Zensor 3 as my next speaker. They have towers in that range as well but I've not heard them. I have no clue what stuff costs in Denmark but I'll assume a lot more than the US. Your best bet is usually to find a good shop or two and start listening to speakers/systems.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Followup to this advice. I picked up a S:3 and holy poo poo I am in love with this system.

The only downside is that now I need/want another S:3 for a stereo pair. It fills my small living room really well, but I can tell I'm going to want a stereo setup already.
:getin:

Then you'll want the sub, Sonos is crack. That said I wish they made a smaller [and definitely cheaper] sub, $700 seems like a bit of a piss take.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wireless rear speakers are still crap and will probably remain so until WISA equipment comes out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A lot of it depends on how good you need it to sound, I'm way into my Play 1 stereo pair in my bedroom but I don't think I'd need more than one in my kitchen. The living room is kind of the odd man out, depending on how big it is and how many speakers you want. Also, literally everyone is annoyed that the connect is so drat expensive. The good news is that resale value on Sonos gear has been really stable so maybe start with the Play 1 2-pack just to check them out?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KillHour posted:

Why would you ever want your pre integrated into a bluray player?

They market them as high-end CD player/DACs as well. I had an Oppo 970 which was a good all-region DVD player but the remote was garbage. They decided it was better to go high-end though, probably sparked by the fact that other companies were buying their players and re-badging them for thousands of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mulls posted:

I got it brand new yesterday from Amazon. It worked great yesterday. Today I got home from work, and it wouldn't turn on. The standby light and LCD don't turn on. It makes a clicking sound when I press the power button as though something is turning on, but a few moments later it clicks again as though it turned itself off. I looked in the user manual, and none of the troubleshooting suggestions seemed to match my situation. I've already tried unplugging and replugging everything.
Does it turn on with all the speaker wires unplugged? That sounds like a short but a lot of receivers show an error code when that happens. Otherwise it's probably just a bad unit and you need a new one.