Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Following up on that, why is it that I can count on one hand the number of movies whose sound really worked? I'm talking beyond delivering the necessary information to the viewer. The last time I saw a movie whose sound blew me away was the horror film The Strangers. Other than that, it's just loud loud loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Is there any goon consensus on build quality/reliability of major receiver brands? I'm having to replace my older Onkyo (yay HDMI going out for the second time!) and am looking at Marantz, Denon, and Yamaha.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

qirex posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Onkyo bought Pioneer Electronics specifically to get over the "Onkyo receivers all die" reputation.

My receiver is getting a little old but still running like a champ and unlike a disturbing number of modern receivers the HDMI-CEC seems to actually work. The consolidation and number of features most manufacturers are cramming into modern affordable receivers is definitely above their level so reliably support in software and since the market is shrinking I don't think anything under $500 is going to be very reliable. I think when I get a new one I'm going to look for a deal on a higher-end one like another Sony ES or a refurb NAD/Cambridge Audio. That or if WiSA speakers actually take off I'll probably look into that.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm leaning toward a refurbished Marantz that is still selling for $900 new for $500.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm having to replace my older Onkyo (yay HDMI going out for the second time!)

You know how when something goes wrong with electronics and they tell you to check the cables and it's never the cables?

It was the cable.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

buildmorefarms posted:

Brilliant, thanks for that.

The sales people seemed genuine enough, but I suppose that's exactly what a good salesperson aims for, regardless of the underlying motives. They've got testing/demo rooms that'll put my theater to shame, so I'll look to do that next; cheers!

Scrapez mentioned accessories4less, definitely give them a look. If you are ok with refurbs, they have some great deals on most of those brands, including Marantz. I got a well-discounted Onkyo there about five years ago and the only issue with it (screwed up HDMI) was an Onkyo issue, had nothing to do with accessories4less or that it was a refurb.