Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah it'll still be better. Don't worry too much about a sub unless you really want to go 5.1 modern AV receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

jonathan posted:

No, however a stereo amp may be of higher quality than a surround receiver at the same price point.

Are there any new stereo amps/receivers out there anymore that feature some sort of input switching?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You'll need to set up a wireless bridge of some kind.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

ddogflex posted:

I actually had a VSX-1021-K go out in a similar fashion a while ago. Turned it on, puff of smoke, now just gives an error when I turn it on. Can't do anything with it. I ended up replacing it recently (with a VSX-1023-K which seems to be a bit of a downgrade unfortunately), but I still have it kicking around. Any tips on how to replace said fuse? I can't seem to find anything with some quick google searches.

Man I'm glad I bought a 1019 instead of a 1020 or later. Seems like that particular line really started to have QC problems after the 1019.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Marantz next, the SR6008 perhaps. I had an NAD T770 and a T762 back in the day when I was young and foolish with my money.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

Why can't you just plug in the headphones whenever you need to use them?

Well also there should just be a monitor out that outputs whatever is currently playing. It seems like he is confused about that or someone explained it poorly before.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My venerable 1019k is dying and I panic ordered a 1030k to replace it. Is there a similar unit from another manufacturer I should consider instead? I'm reading some negative things about the unit having some video processing problems (as in, it doesn't do pass through maybe, or maybe people on the Internet are bad at setting units up).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Dogen posted:

My venerable 1019k is dying and I panic ordered a 1030k to replace it. Is there a similar unit from another manufacturer I should consider instead? I'm reading some negative things about the unit having some video processing problems (as in, it doesn't do pass through maybe, or maybe people on the Internet are bad at setting units up).

People are stupid and as far as I've experienced the 1130k is a fine update to the 1019k. I've only played with built-in AirPlay a yet and haven't messed with many of the other modern features, but 2 channel and 5.1 performance are comparable or better. No video weirdness.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Usually you do want the second sub kind of on the opposite side of the room from the first and on a wall, but you will just have to try it out and see.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Pioneer and Onkyo are the same company now, or at least in the AVR arena.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you didn't already have some speakers it sounds like what you really want might be a soundbar of some kind.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

smackfu posted:

If you wanted the simplest possible home theater system, how would you do it? I'm thinking to use the TV as the HDMI switch, and an always on sound bar as the audio. That way the only thing that could be wrong is for the TV to be on the wrong input.

If you mean simple in the easy to use sense, a standard AVR setup is probably simpler than that. Turn on TV. Turn on AVR. Switch AVR input to whatever you want.

I say this because it's easier for me to change inputs on my AVR than my TV, but I guess circumstances differ.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Peanut3141 posted:

I bought a S710W to go with my TV and speakers. The basic layout is this:

This works fairly well as long as we just want to use the Sennheiser transmitter and headphones to listen to video content, which is most of our use cases. It would be nice to be able to use them for purely audio content as well. I tried to leverage a subwoofer pre-amp to get mono to the TR120, but that did not work. Any ideas on how I could configure the TR120 to be a sibling to the speakers instead of its current state as a TV passthrough?

Use 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, 1/8" to RCA adapter, plug into headphone transmitter.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

LmaoTheKid posted:

Once I got my HT setup dialed in I stopped reading AVSforums. It's a dirty snakepit of regret.

I only go there when looking for very specific information about something, like maybe a firmware update. Even then, I regret it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Is there any goon consensus on build quality/reliability of major receiver brands? I'm having to replace my older Onkyo (yay HDMI going out for the second time!) and am looking at Marantz, Denon, and Yamaha.

Marantz and Denon are the same corporation. Also if you start looking at Pioneer, they're the same as Onkyo now so be aware of that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Armond Poopson posted:

You guys would probably be the best to ask about this...

My old iPod died and I'd really like a new, dedicated music player. Since iTunes is now basically malware, I'm open to moving to another platform.

I still have all my old CDs (~2500 of them) and suppose I can re-rip, if need be. My home stereo setup is old school, replete with wired speakers that date all the way back to the 90s. I'm not really interested in using a portable player for home use, but I'm also not disinterested.

If you were me, what would you get? One of them FLAC players? A solid state ipod? Minidisc?

iPod touch because I am lazy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can also pretty easily find a sub that doesn't have fabric on it, although that wouldn't help the whizzing problem. You could use bookshelf speakers for fronts, as well, which wouldn't be as big the end of the world since you have a sub.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

A, A assuming front speakers full range, A, A

I had a rear center for a while but it just didn't see that much use and it's very difficult to position in a room.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Are we sure that round cable is RCA? It looks too big.

I would recommend getting a stereo amp off CL or from your local resale shop and just buying a cheap CD player if you don't already have one with line outs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Receiver usually has amp integrated. Speakers say absurd things about W and it varies by era and manufacturer what W even means, usually best to look at sensitivity.

Brands of things are good but I have no experience with any of that equip personally but it should be good together.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My wife likes the tower speakers better than the front bookshelf sized speakers we used to have.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oh, just leave your brother alone, he seems happy with his soundbar

Dogen
May 5, 2002

TacDv8 posted:

Ok goons, please shower me with your knowledge and/or disdain. I've read around, but if there is some required reading for this, please point the way.

I've just moved into this setup:

Living room wired for 5.1, Acoustimass 10

Patio/lanai, L-shaped, wired for 8 speakers

backyard wired for 4 speakers

Speakers 1-12 are all these yamahas.

My questions:

How do I power these? I can see a mono setup, but is stereo possible?

How do I best create the different zones? 5.1 inside, #1-6 zone 2, #7-8 zone 3, #9-12 zone 4?

Multi source zones? I imagine different sources for the 5.1 and everything else, can you get more specific than that?

What's the best way to control speaker volume on the fly? Separate volume controllers or through the receiver/amp or from a phone/tablet?

Streaming from iphones/pandora?

Controlling all this through iphone/ipad/android tablet?

Which brands/models for receivers to consider? Which for the amps? How many?

What is a reasonable amount to spend?

Super awesome MSPaint included.

Do a receiver for 5.1 and a 12 channel amp for the outdoor stuff. You can use a monitor out from receiver to feed the 12 channel, or have it run from a different source depending on what you think the use case will be (if you want to use them both at same time for different things). A new 5.1 channel receiver will have wifi and be app controllable and probably accept streams from devices as well as having something like pandora built in. I have a pioneer vsx 1130 and it does all that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Looks like the 3.5mm jack that apple is trying to destroy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you only had one other zone I would recommend a regular receiver but with several others you would want to have a receiver in your family room, and then just have it output line level to another amp that powers the rest of your speakers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I mean, most AVRs will support a zone 2. I have a Pioneer VSX 1130 and it does. But honestly to drive so many speakers in the rest of the house you need a separate amp with 8 channels and they'll all have line level inputs anyway, such that you just run RCA cable from your source (could be monitor out on your AVR, could be something else entirely).

Or I guess if you don't want an AVR, leave that out of it and just get the multi channel amp for your house speakers?

Question to the thread: my receiver supports a 5.1.2 atmos config. Is it worth it to get a couple atmos add on modules?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 25, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Buy a cheapo AVR to power them, just run it in Ext Stereo mode all the time...? That way you have your source switching handled too. Polk, Klipsch etc. all seem to make in ceiling speakers, so I'd just get whatever fits in your budget there.

What's with all the weird multi speaker questions lately?

Edit: drat you, jonathton

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Do the tv speakers output chromecast input ok? That's a weird one...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Maybe the soundbar is terrible?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I actually ended up doing optical out from my tv to the stereo... I couldn't get ARC to work right. TV only outputs lossy 5.1 anyway, so no difference there, but it's annoying that I couldn't get it to work right. This is just for built in TV apps so also no big deal there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

teagone posted:

I picked it up cheap a long while ago. Was like $30? I forget from where. It's not amazing. At all. But its better than the TV's internal speakers when its not playing audio from the Chromecast :haw: It's in a guest bedroom, so I'm not too concerned about it not playing well with the Chromecast. I'll probably just put it back in storage, haha. Or drop it off at a Goodwill.

My next guess would have been the tv trying to pass a multichannel signal to it and the soundbar not handling it well, but if you've tried passing stereo tracks and they still sound bad I don't know. Trying out analog also seems like a good last ditch effort.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They all look like a like a loving BIOS screen (or UEFI I guess to be fair), unless there are some shockingly nice ones I've never seen.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you have apple, airport express is a good solution. Has a 3.5mm stereo/mini toslink jack.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

LmaoTheKid posted:

Stop reading AVSforums.

This should really be the thread title for this and the TV thread.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

jonathan posted:

12's in a folded or tapped horn is more capable than my large-low-tuned (llt) 18's

Whoever Wins, The Cat loses <tm>

My cats don't care about my stereo. Am I doing it wrong?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Make sure TV Audio on your receiver is set to optical in?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Then you're reading/talking to terrible people.

Is this where I suggest buying an original playstation as a CD player?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

taqueso posted:

I have those mounts and I didn't add anything extra. Just tightened the clamps on the sides. They have been great. I'm using smaller speakers than you though.

I have the same mounts on some heavy klipsch kg 1.5s and they're fine after 4 and a half years.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Don't sit that close to the speakers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is HDMI better than optical in any way? Well, I guess for ARC...? But if you run optical to your TV then HDMi will still work via the TV HDMI ports...right?

More bandwidth. Optical can’t support PCM, DTS HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc. Also one cable is better than two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Most (all?) UHD disc players have separate video and audio outs for that reason. Not sure about the shield, don't know anything about it.

Use ARC if you can get it working right but optical is probably just as good, none of the streaming services support anything that requires better than optical, and ARC on most TVs offers the same options as the optical out anyway. Just less cables if you can get it working.