Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I just refinanced my house and pulled out a bit of cash so decided it was time to upgrade my mostly 10-year-old home theater system. Here's what I ended up with:

New items:

TV: Sharp LC-70LE732U 70" LED 120 Hz (replaced Sanyo 51" rear projection)
Receiver: Denon AVR-1912 (replaced Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX)
Blu-Ray: Sharp BD-HP35U (replaced Pioneer BDP-51FD which I hated)
All-region DVD: Pioneer DV-610AV-S (replaced JVC VX-NA77XL)
Sub: Mirage Omni S-8 (Replaced JBL PowerBass BP12)

Kept:

Front: 2 x Mirage OM-7
Center: Mirage OM-C3
Surround: 4 x Sonance .5 Surround

The TV is freaking amazing. Everything is HDMI now, rather than component, and for the first time I can hear my cable channels (well some of them) in 5.1 surround, which is awesome. The one weird thing is that when going through the speaker setup the new receiver told me that the front left and right speakers were out of phase, which means they've been that way for 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

jonathan posted:

I would double check the wiring, however, the acoustic tests a lot of receivers do often cause a false positive with the phase test. It randomly tells me that one of my surrounds is out of phase even though it's perfectly fine.

I swapped the silver/copper wires and re-ran the setup and the message went away, but to be quite honest, I didn't notice any difference in the sound.

All-in-all, I'm really happy with this receiver. It supports AirPlay and the HDMI output supports ARC so that when I pull up a video or some music on the TV from one of my PCs using DLNA the sound plays on the surround.

The only nit so far is that Comcast's HD channels are in 1080i and when I play them the TV shows 1080i when I was under the impression that the receiver upconverted everything to 1080p. Haven't had a chance to go thru the manual to see if there's a setting I missed yet since the manual is on CD and I personally find it a lot easier to leaf through a printed manual (but I understand why they do it that way).

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

_aaron posted:

The 1912 doesn't upconvert. The new Denon line doesn't do video upconversion until you get up to the 2312 model.

See this AVS thread for a good run down of all the new Denon receivers and their capabilities.

Ahh I see. It was the analog-to-digital conversion I was thinking about. Originally I was going to keep my older JVC all-region DVD player which was component/digital coax, but in the end decided to go all-HDMI.

Thanks for the info and for that link, very informative.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I recently purchased an LG OLED65B7A tv to replace my sharp 70” high def tv. I have my Denon AVR 1912 receiver hooked into the ARC HDMI port in the TV. So tonight I decided to check out the Amazon Prime series “Bosch”. I tuned to the Amazon Prime app in the TV, found the first episode of the first season, and chose it. The video was as expected, and the receiver switched into TV mode, but the audio was totally messed up, it kinda sounded like a little helicopter, really choppy, and none of it was actually understandable.

I know that the 1912 can’t handle 4K video - the Blu Ray player has an hdmi port out to the TV as well as an audio-only hdmi port which I feed into the receiver.

Do I need to replace my receiver to handle the audio output from the TV? It seems like the audio format is not recognized. I don’t have a real problem replacing the receiver - it’s pretty old - but if there’s a way around this, I’d rather not.

Edit: my candidate for replacement is the Denon AVR-X3300W

LongSack fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 11, 2018