Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

I just upgraded from my old TV from 2012 to a new LG OLED. Before, I had an Onkyo AVR with all of my devices plugged in to that and then the AVR plugged in to the TV. Easy. Now that I have a fancier TV that supports stuff my AVR doesn't (4k, HDR, etc), I want to upgrade to a new one. Right now, I'm using a Thenaudio Sharc to tide me over (though I'm having issues with it, like everything getting downmixed to stereo, but that's another story). But I have a question about eARC in general. Can I mix and match where things are plugged in? In the diagram above, I laid out how I want to have everything arranged: PS5 + Xbox direct to the TV and all other devices going through some new AVR and then to the TV. Will this setup work like I expect? I know the HDMI 2.1 AVRs are pretty limited (Denon has that one with compatibility issues, but there may be others?), so I'd like this setup so I can get all the HDMI 2.1 features from the devices that need it and still route the sound out through the surround speakers. Is this how eARC is meant to be used? Most of the stuff I've read is about using it for built in TV apps and not other HDMI sources.

I would have liked to do this setup with the Sharc, but according to them it won't work because it might create a CEC loop, so I want to make sure that's a Sharc thing and not an eARC thing in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

falz posted:

Also how long did you spend scouring websites to get both consoles that aren't in stock anywhere?

I had Wario64's twitter on push notifications...lots of noise, but ended up paying off. (Also having a job where I'm sitting in front a computer the whole time and can jump on orders when they go up helps too)